• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun and Moon Starters Revealed. Releases November 18th 2016.

Azuran

Banned
Greninja got banned after ORAS made it stupid.

Given the current format they clearly don't care about people needing to hack.

That doesn't really sound like a legit reason, especially when it's clear that people gen their Pokemon to save time from breeding and EV training. Not to mention, IIRC, there's no way to hackcheck these pokemon beyond the facile physical attributions like the Kalos hexagon, so they won't even be able to tell the difference between unless they look at the software. It's also worth noting that VGC 2014's winner used PokeGen but clearly overlooked the limitations of the B2W2 carts.

Well of course but half of those weren't even legally distributed in NA or Europe until this year so there was no way to even get them unless you genned them. At least everyone can soft reset or hack for the legendaries that are actually in the game.

When all players need to go to Japan to legally get a Manaphy, then it's no wonder they're banned.

so you have no idea what you're talking about

gotcha

Constant switching and some battles taking over 100 turns to complete is not fun even when you're playing.

Sou Da

Apparently Pokenchi showed a new trailer

lwkAuQl.jpg

New HP bar and bystanders are shown in battle.

Bye Framerate.

Edit: Serously though, this game is shaping up to really build on X and Y's stumbles. Super Hype. I really hope this is the game Morimoto was working on.

I'm going to assume trainers in the background of battles is only for rivals.

But if it's for every trainer, they have to have solved some framerate issue. There's no way they'd improve the engine to get a solid 30 then add trainers in the background and let it drop back down knowing how much (justified) anger there was over the framerate in Gen 6.

Then again, maybe they don't give a shit and it'll still have those problems.

Kinsei

Banned

lwkAuQl.jpg

This game is looking so good.

I'm going to assume trainers in the background of battles is either only for rivals.

But if it's for every trainer, they have to have solved some framerate issue. There's no way they'd improve the engine to get a solid 30 then add trainers in the background and let it drop back down knowing how much (justified) anger there was over the framerate in Gen 6.

Then again, maybe they don't give a shit and it'll still have those problems.

You can see the framerate drop when Lunaala attacks in the trailer so I wouldn't hold my breath on it being consistent.

Bye Framerate.

Edit: Serously though, this game is shaping up to really build on X and Y's stumbles. Super Hype. I really hope this is the game Morimoto was working on.

Way too early to say "bye framerate." These are likely still high-poly models, so that means if there's too much going on at once, the 3DS is going to struggle.

Kinsei

Banned
The true rival will probably be the opposite gender trainer you didn't picked.

Hopefully they don't go with the default skin tone. It'll be weird to have a rival that most likely spends a lot of time outside training their Pokemon but doesn't have a tan.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That's I guess a different battle from the one we saw in the first trailer, which took place in a field...though this looks like where you pick the Starter so this might be Fight #1.

Love how the HP bar now has "depth".

Jay RaR

Added bystanders and visible trainer you fight against looks neat. Hopefully the trainer that shows up in your fight isn't limited to certain trainers (ie your rivals, gym leaders, etc) and the trainers and Pokemon won't have delayed reactions when a Pokemon is KOed or even takes critical damage.

Still an improvement over OR/AS battles.

Daemul

VGC is better than singles simply because the format allows for much faster matches and it limits the effectiveness of stall.

Seriously fuck stall, it is a cancer within singles and it needs to be reigned in. If you're someone low on the ladder you won't see it much since players on the lower part of the ladder tend to stick to their favourite pokemon in the tier they're playing, use a team they percieve to be the best in that tier or just copy paste a team they saw someone up the ladder use, even though they have no idea how to actually use that team well lol. Once you eventually "git gud" however and progress up towards the top of the ladder you will start running more and more into stall teams because they're one of the best way to climb up the ladder, and its annoying as fuck.

It is quite funny to see the differences in teams at the bottom and top of the tier ladders though. In Anything Goes for example at the lower end you see people use their favourites, use the likes of Klefki to intentionally piss people off lol, use Pokemon like Greninja and Aegislash because they're non-legendary Pokemon who got banned to Ubers so they must be super amazing, and Mega Rayquaza dominates because he's too good for ubers. Then you go to the top of the ladder and its;

1467j2.jpg

Edit:Ooo, new screenshot O.O

wmlk

PERSONA STYLE UI, HERE WE COME! lol

baby steps

Pokémon has had some style, especially B2W2, but their trailers are as bland as can be.

NeonZ

Added bystanders and visible trainer you fight against looks neat. Hopefully the trainer that shows up in your fight isn't limited to certain trainers (ie your rivals, gym leaders, etc) and the trainers and Pokemon won't have delayed reactions when a Pokemon is KOed or even takes critical damage.

They seem to be using the same models for the overworld gameplay and the battle, so every trainer should have a model this time. The issue with XY and the R/S remakes was that they needed different battle models from the ones used in the overworld, so only a few trainers got those.

javadoze

lwkAuQl.jpg

Snazzy. The jump from Gen6 to gen7 is looking even better than that of gen4 to gen5 (though I do wonder if they've moved past the framerate drops gen6 had).

Bystanders EXCLUSIVE to NEW 3DS. Need that extra processing power. :)

Jokes

Seeing how a new3DS was featured in the original Pokemon Direct trailer, I wouldn't doubt that they'd have some kind of enhancements for them.

Andrefpvs

All the additional 3D elements (both in the overworld and in battles) are looking very good!

However, unless Game Freak have massively improved their optimization skills, I fear the game may not run very well unless you have a New 3DS. I'll wait for more footage and info before making assumptions, though.

lwkAuQl.jpg

I'm loving the atmosphere of this battle. You have the by standers looking on and those torches really sets the mood. I hope that the by standers and oposing trainers react to the battles as the battle is happening instead of being copy and paste card board cut outs.

I wish the rival looked more fierce than laid back atleast during the battle. Other than that I'm really impressed.

I'm hoping GameFreak takes the time to work on the N3DS version of this so that there is atleast one version that runs hopefully as good as its looking.

lwkAuQl.jpg

Really loving the aesthetic direction they are taking this generation. Leagues better than XY or ORAS. The static backgrounds in 6th generation became very stale after a while.

Here's hoping that in addition to changing the music in online battles, we can now select various stadiums to battle in.

I mean this battle in the screen seems like the first rival battle, so it may just be certain battles that have cool background elements. Don't get your hopes too high lol

I also hope that they have similar dynamic backgrounds in all battles but this is GF.

Top Bottom