• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Greenlights 'Elementary' Modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Sherlock Holmes so I welcome this news. BBC has a good thing going but if CBS can put a good stink on theirs then all the better. Not getting my hopes up for anything though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh god. I don't want this. We already have Sherlock.

DdiNS.gif

I honestly don't get the anger.

It's not like Sherlock Holmes is a unique idea.

I thought he was brilliant in the S2 finale.

I thought he was horrible in the S2 finale. Oh look, he's crazy and talks funny. The actor hammed it up, and his descent to his serious face and growl were laughable. He toned it down a bit for Season 3 but his character was written so badly and the finale plot was so unbelievably poor and full of holes that he couldn't really save it.

Patryn

I thought he was horrible in the S2 finale. Oh look, he's crazy and talks funny. The actor hammed it up, and his descent to his serious face and growl were laughable. He toned it down a bit for Season 3 but his character was written so badly and the finale plot was so unbelievably poor and full of holes that he couldn't really save it.

So how is the future? Do we have flying cars yet?

Well, you are talking to a guy who has read all the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and has actually hunted down other Sherlock Holmes novels not written by him, lol.

I have even read Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes. So it doesn't bother me that CBS is trying to remake Sherlock. I'm willing to give it a chance.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. House MD is essentially Sherlock Holmes as a modern American Doctor.

Sherlock Holmes is my favorite character...well ever. And I love the BBC series, heck I even like aspects of the RDJ films. The existence of this show doesn't really take away from any of those. We will always have the short stories, novels, and countless films.

I will give this a chance. If it's good, I keep watching. If it's bad, I ignore it. No harm, no foul. Trust me, if you research Holmes there are MUCH dumber concepts based around him.

Have you read any of Dan Stashower's stories? He also wrote an Edgar-award winning biography of Doyle. I'm in a writer's group with him and we're having dinner this Friday. I'd love to tell him if he's been read.

Fun fact: He also co-wrote the Jolinar's Memories episode of Stargate SG-1, which seems to get him more cred in geek circles.

Guys this is on CBS. Its being made and targeted to an audience 20 years + Gafs average age. And it doent remove the already brilliant series in place so who cares?

dschalter

It's incredible how irritated people get over something like this. Sherlock Holmes is a ridiculously popular and oft portrayed character, this adaption will probably be complete garbage relative to the recent awesomeness of Sherlock, but the way people are reacting is just silly.

bengraven

Wow, came in here deciding that I'll give it a shot, despite loving the Moffat one, and then saw JLM. Nope.

I was gonna say this sounds familiar. I saw that Sherlock show on netflix was thinking about watching it.

It's a really great show. I'm not alone in thinking each episode (at 1hr 30min) is basically a Sherlock Holmes movie and done incredibly well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Guys this is on CBS. Its being made and targeted to an audience 20 years + Gafs average age. And it doent remove the already brilliant series in place so who cares?

It doesn't matter - it's going be going against some huge heavy hitters that CBS has this year. Even their worst shows are toplined by very good actors
who have had a string of bad luck and might like a CBS show to that everyone watches and can stay on the air for five years

Jonny Lee Miller is not someone who can sell this premise. So there's little chance I can see this going forward to series, especially since the pilot script reads poorly.

Raxus

3 Things

1. Titles are always subject to change. Unforgettable was once the Rememberer (really).
2. This isn't the first time CBS has blatantly plagiarized an idea and got away with it and made a successful show to boot. Why hello The Mentalist.
3. It will totally suck. Sherlock doesn't solve one hour mysteries with ENHANCE. Plus he is inherently an unlikable character in the wrong hands. I really don't see CBS writers handling this with the grace and poise as they did with The Good Wife.

In short, CBS sucks except for The Good Wife and Ferguson.

Imm0rt4l

I liked the finale, I think the 2nd episode of both seasons are pretty bad though.

rar

Edmond Dantès;34347879 said:
Still waiting on a modern day adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo, in fact any attempt at an adaptation that is at least half decent would be welcome.

Idris Elba as Edmond in a BBC produced series would be lovely.

i agree with this, i dont know about elba though

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh and I am sure this Watson will show of some martial arts BS too.

Oh... oooh shit. I didn't even consider that. I hope that isn't true. ... Oh who am I kidding? It's American television, on CBS, and she's Asian. This is going to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom