• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

MjFrancis

Since I'm finished with NGIII I should play some more DOA5 alpha goodness. I only played for a short bit, surprisingly.

But Ayane is certainly the most visually impressive upgrade of the four alpha demo characters. The real doll look getting kicked to the curb is just what the DOA franchise needed. Not even to speak of all the game mechanic upgrades.

Sectus

There's this list of characters in the executable. Might end up being the final character roster. 6 costumes for most characters.

Pai
Sarah
Akira
Mila
Rig
Bayman
Hitomi
Christie
Brad
Lisa
Eliot
Ayane
Leifang
Hayate
Kokoro
Bass
Leon
Helena
Genfu
Kasumi
Hayabusa
Jannlee
Tina
Zack
Alpha152

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
4 VF characters? Or two and two new characters. I don't see any cuts to the previous casts.

MjFrancis

There's this list of characters in the executable. Might end up being the final character roster. 6 costumes for most characters.

Alpha152
Thank you good sir, though this last character is the only one in the entire series I never wanted to see again. Ever.

Maybe if that character is relegated to an unlockable with a much more modest role I can deal with it, but otherwise, that's the first bit of bad news I've heard about DOA5.

Pai
Sarah
Akira
Mila
Rig
Bayman
Hitomi
Christie
Brad
Lisa
Eliot
Ayane
Leifang
Hayate
Kokoro
Bass
Leon
Helena
Genfu
Kasumi
Hayabusa
Jannlee
Tina
Zack
Alpha152

That's a good list. The whole gangs there, plus additions.

Pai
Sarah
Akira
Mila
Rig
Bayman
Hitomi
Christie
Brad
Lisa
Eliot
Ayane
Leifang
Hayate
Kokoro
Bass
Leon
Helena
Genfu
Kasumi
Hayabusa
Jannlee
Tina
Zack
Alpha152

Aw, no
Kage
? Fair enough. The series already has more
Ninjas
than
Mortal Kombat

TreIII

Pai
Sarah
Akira
Mila
Rig

Should've figured they had at least 1 VF female in the mix. Two's even better!

And I only can wonder what those other two names can be. But no Ein does make me sad. They should've at least given his moveset to perhaps Hitomi's Pops, or what not...

FHIZ

Thank you good sir, though this last character is the only one in the entire series I never wanted to see again. Ever.

Agreed! The rage I felt from 4... so much punching of things within an arms reach of me.

I hope there ends up being more than two new DoA specific characters. The Virtua Fighter inclusions are nice though.

Skilletor

They're the same goddamn people, I;m not talking about movesets.

And besides, Hitomi is just a girly Ein anyway.

And they've both been in the game since DoA3...so, I don't get what you were trying to say.

:p

That's a really nice roster. Two new characters...I hope one is TKD. PLEASE be TKD.

Also, 6 costumes for each character would be really nice given what we got in DoA4 and DoAD.

Sectus

Another name I missed, RTM is mentioned. RTM and RIG sounds tech related, so maybe one of them is just a dummy character used for debugging.

Looking further into the executable, there's also some references to Ein. But then again, there's also references to Spartan. So that might just be data from DOA4 which wasn't changed. The list I posted is based on a list of models, so I think it's the most reliable.

MjFrancis

Agreed! The rage I felt from 4... so much punching of things within an arms reach of me.

I hope there ends up being more than two new DoA specific characters. The Virtua Fighter inclusions are nice though.
I went through Alpha-152 20 times in Story mode then 20 more times in Time Attack mode just a few weeks ago. There were times when my wife looked at me playing and suggested I take a break. I must have looked as frustrated as I was feeling!

Story mode is no problem, but beating her twice in Time Attack? That's torture. I thought for sure that I would never have to go two out of three with Alpha-152 ever again, but it appears as though I may be wrong.

They're the same goddamn people, I;m not talking about movesets.

And besides, Hitomi is just a girly Ein anyway.

So your logic is, if they cut Akuma from SFV but kept Oni, and someone complained about Akuma being cut, you'd go "BUT ONI IS RIGHT THERE WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT GOD"

Sectus

So your logic is, if they cut Akuma from SFV but kept Oni, and someone complained about Akuma being cut, you'd go "BUT ONI IS RIGHT THERE WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT GOD"

Reminds me of what had happened with SC5. They removed a ton of "clone" characters because some people thought they were identical to other characters, even though they were completely different from a gameplay perspective.

I'll never understand why fighting game developers just don't simply keep characters. They usually re-use the exact same engine, they've already got the animations and moveset all ready. There's so little effort they have to do in order to keep characters.

Skilletor

I don't mind if Ein is removed since they haven't done anything with him since DoA2. His moveset has pretty much been exactly the same.

If they were to keep him, I'd hope they actually give him some attention.

TreIII

Reminds me of what had happened with SC5. They removed a ton of "clone" characters because some people thought they were identical to other characters, even though they were completely different from a gameplay perspective.

I'll never understand why fighting game developers just don't simply keep characters. They usually re-use the exact same engine, they've already got the animations and moveset all ready. There's so little effort they have to do in order to keep characters.

Pretty much. SC5 is THE poster child now of what can happen when a dev takes all those complaints about "Story" for a fighting game too seriously. Now, you see a number of those same people joining others with complaints because their favorite characters are gone.

I don't mind if Ein is removed since they haven't done anything with him since DoA2. His moveset has pretty much been exactly the same.

If they were to keep him, I'd hope they actually give him some attention.

What could they do with him, though? His "storyline" effectively wrapped up in 2, and the main reason he stayed around was to keep his moveset alive. Again, that's why I was hoping they'd just do something like introduce Hitomi's Dad and give him the moveset instead.

Galdelico

Very nice roster, and the rumour about costumes - if true - would make me extremely happy.

From the very last bit of Dimensions' ending I would have expected
Donovan
to pop out somewhere, but nevermind.

Damn, this game is getting me so incredibly hyped.

Skilletor

What could they do with him, though? His "storyline" effectively wrapped up in 2, and the main reason he stayed around was to keep his moveset alive. Again, that's why I was hoping they'd just do something like introduce Hitomi's Dad and give him the moveset instead.

I meant with his moveset. I could probably count the number of new moves from DoA2 on one hand. If they're going to ignore him and evolve other characters, just cut him. If they keep him, give him some attention.

raven777

yea roster looks good, and 6 costumes, if they are not DLC, would be great as well.

My only wish is that they take care of the AA, and have a good story mode.

raven777

I am not 100% sure about DOA rosters, so is
Mila, Rig
new characters?
Also, I am curious how
Sarah and Pai will look like in the game. Akira looked somewhat similar to VF5 model, and if those 2 characters will look similar to VF5 or completely redesigned to fit DOA females.

TreIII

I meant with his moveset. I could probably count the number of new moves from DoA2 on one hand. If they're going to ignore him and evolve other characters, just cut him. If they keep him, give him some attention.

Ah, I see.

Well, if worse comes to worse, they may make him an actual downloadable character. Maybe a freebie, like the Claws in NG3?

I was browsing through the executable, even going as far as disassembling it, and I didn't see any of this. Where specifically did you see it? There's an index file that lists a fair amount of actual data contained in the game but no other characters are mentioned besides the four in the demo. It does list out the level files available in the demo; Sibuya, Battlefield, and Dorou. If I'm remembering correctly, RTM, at least in DOA4, referred to story mode only models like Murumasa, the shop owner from Ninja Gaiden, and even the monkeys on that one stage. I would assume that the same applies here. I'm also going to be very sad if Tengu doesn't make the cut this time around.

That character roster...

simoncowell.gif

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
Sorry for asking this as I've been a bit out of the loop recently but is buying the NG3 special edition the only way to get the DOA5 demo at the moment? I'm on PS3 and am eager to give it a shot but to be honest I really don't want to buy NG3. Does anyone know if it will be released for everyone to download on PSN at some point?

Top Bottom