• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders

LOLDSFAN

What kind of stuff have they announced/revealed in the past at these meetings?

Last time they talked about wanting to pursue non-wearables.

ipP3DZoe2edHq.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think anything.
I'm pretty sure the Board would still have to vote him out.
I don't follow Japanese corporate law to the exact but I think the board at that point would be compelled to select another CEO who would act as interim until the next meeting .

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
is gibbo not tweeting the happenings this time?
It seems that he is not. Whether he's in attendance I don't know.

@LOLDSFAN: That wasn't at the The 73rd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, it was at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing /Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing on January 30 this year.

Riki

I don't follow Japanese corporate law to the exact but I think the board at that point would be compelled to select another CEO who would act as interim until the next meeting .

Could be. I'm not entirely sure either, as I don't think this has really ever happened.
Still, I'm not expecting Iwata to go anywhere any time soon.

I hope they announce Endless Ocean 3!

Why'd you have to say that? I hadn't thought of that possibility for over a year (when I gave up hope for an Endless Ocean 3D). I decided I wasn't going to be like a Shenmue fan years later seeing signs anywhere of a third game in that series I absolutely loved and devoured with a small group of people but that few other gamers knew existed.

Well, let's hope.

NateDrake

I believe that was a quarterly meeting and not the annual shareholder meeting which some companies treat as a big presentation and others as a small procedural event.

Did anything happen or get announced at last year's annual shareholder meeting for Nintendo?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could be. I'm not entirely sure either, as I don't think this has really ever happened.
Still, I'm not expecting Iwata to go anywhere any time soon.
Yeah I think the odds of him getting kicked out in this fashion are pretty low.

The shareholders would much more likely just exert huge pressure for him to resign by actively telling Nintendo (in private) that Iwata will be voted out if he doesn't resign prior to the event and I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to go to the event instead of resigning at that point.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Did anything happen or get announced at last year's annual shareholder meeting for Nintendo?
There was some new information about the Wii Vitality Sensor and why it didn't materialize to an actual product.

I believe that was a quarterly meeting and not the annual shareholder meeting which some companies treat as a big presentation and others as a small procedural event.

Indeed, it was the one in Jan/Feb. People need to wait around 1 month for the next meeting where they announce the 3DSi.

BD1

Banned

It would be interesting to see how they would act. The Nintendo Board has always appeared to be very insular and a bit of a boys club. The vast majority have been at Nintendo for 30-40 years together, and I've always gotten the impression that they are not particularly concerned with share holder opinion. They believe in the "Nintendo Way."

NateDrake

There was a Q&A session where individuals asked whackadoodle questions.

So we should expect more "Why isn't Mario on mobile?", "How do you plan to support mobile even though you continue to say you won't?" and "Will my iPhone play 3DS games any time soon?" type of questions.

Indeed, it was the one in Jan/Feb. People need to wait around 1 month for the next meeting where they announce the 3DSi.

Because of the AGM (presumably) they don't have a meeting for the 1st Quarter Release usually. At least, not from what I can tell. We'll still get the figures, but no presentation or Q&A. For that, we'll have to wait until October.

Effect

So no live tweeting this time. Wonder when there will be update for what was talked about? A few hours after it's done? Sometime next week?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here is a question from the last meeting to give you a sense of the whackiness:

I want to know the details of your global strategy. Japan has a low birthrate and is an aging society, but there are plenty of children in the world. I heard that in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates there are a lot of Japanese schools for children, and the children of royal families and millionaires have entered these schools and play with Nintendo game systems in order to communicate with Japanese children. As for our aging society, I currently volunteer at a paid care facility and nursing home for the elderly. There are many Nintendo games at these facilities and the elderly people say, "Though I don’t play video games, I study idioms and characters for a kanji test.” If you pay more attention to such people and address the needs of a low birth rate and an aging population, I think you will be able to increase the number of business opportunities. In addition, I would like to ask you to improve business performance so that shareholders can smile at the next general meeting of shareholders. Similarly, at next year’s general meeting of shareholders, I would like to see some young people and women sitting in the directors’ seats. Also, as Prime Minister Abe advocated in his growth strategy that action be taken to enhance English education, I would like Nintendo to develop software which enables everyone from elementary school children up to adults to enjoy learning English.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So no live tweeting this time. Wonder when there will be update for what was talked about? A few hours after it's done? Sometime next week?
The resolution notice (how the voting went) is usually made available very shortly after the meeting has ended. I believe the meeting is usually an hour long, so we should have some information soon.

What happens if the approval vote is below 50%?

Mr. Iwata is not re-elected as Chairman of the Board of Directors, nor is he re-elected as a member of the Board of Directors.

It sends a strong message to the Board of Directors that Mr. Iwata is no longer welcome as CEO of the company.

But only the Board can remove him of his CEO position, unless Mr. Iwata resigns.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me the primary issues Nintendo faces are deeply engrained within the company and will only be fixed by a continued concerted effort to change.

They're slowly walking down that path and really whether it's Iwata helming the ship or his hand picked successor won't change much.

Dropping Iwata would mostly be a move by investors to raise pressure/fear in the next CEO but I don't think it would change much outside of making some investors feel better and getting the company to sugarcoat statements more.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Someone asked about Zelda for Wii U, Miyamoto provide a simple answer that it's in development. There was also some laughter.

Rösti;118432121 said:
Someone asked about Zelda for Wii U, Miyamoto provide a simple answer that it's in development. There was also some laughter.

Well it didn't get us anything but at least it wasn't about cafeteria food.

Top Bottom