• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novel Community

It releases sooner than I expected. 👀

Some more deets about the release via Gematsu:
Publisher Spike Chunsoft and developer MAGES. will release romance visual novels The Quintessential Quintuplets: Memories of a Quintessential Summer and The Quintessential Quintuplets: Five Memories Spent With You digitally for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam on May 23 in the west for $34.99 each, the companies announced. A “Double Pack” containing both games will also be available for $59.99

God I hope you go into Muv-Luv blind... fantastic series... also never played the Ace Attorney stuff? Good god man, it's quality.

I haven't played any of the VN I mentioned

Out of all the VNs I played The House In Fata Morgana, Zero Escape Trilogy and Danganronpa are my favorites

I'm not sure if I should consider 13 Sentinels a VN though

This year I'm gonna to be playing lot more VNs

Also do I need a guide to play through the Muv-Luv Games? I'm aiming for the best ending

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I haven't played any of the VN I mentioned

Out of all the VNs I played The House In Fata Morgana, Zero Escape Trilogy and Danganronpa are my favorites

I'm not sure if I should consider 13 Sentinels a VN though

This year I'm gonna to be playing lot more VNs

Also do I need a guide to play through the Muv-Luv Games? I'm aiming for the best ending

So... the issue is if you use guides you ruin why it is so highly rated, the best advice I can give is that early on nothing you do matters, just make the choices you want to make. If you finish a few times and don't get what the fuss is about, read a guide then to get it moving.

Also the true ending does not exist in this game as that takes place in the sequal (don't look that up, it ruins it) the issue with Muv-Luv is it is one of the greatest visual novels ever made, but explaining why ruins that eye opening moment. And yes playing this game is what makes the sequal and it's ending so amazing, as it's a direct continuation, skipping to it is pointless.

I went into it blind with a fan translation back in the day before companies started selling these. So you where lucky to get a game every 6 months, so you played it no matter how good or bad it was... the fact I'm telling you to play this is in a way ruining why this game is so good.

But my God it's so hard to try and get people to just play it without them doing research and ruining it for themselves. I really wish there where more VN's like it.

Last edited:
So... the issue is if you use guides you ruin why it is so highly rated, the best advice I can give is that early on nothing you do matters, just make the choices you want to make. If you finish a few times and don't get what the fuss is about, read a guide then to get it moving.

Also the true ending does not exist in this game as that takes place in the sequal (don't look that up, it ruins it) the issue with Muv-Luv is it is one of the greatest visual novels ever made, but explaining why ruins that eye opening moment. And yes playing this game is what makes the sequal and it's ending so amazing, as it's a direct continuation, skipping to it is pointless.

I went into it blind with a fan translation back in the day before companies started selling these. So you where lucky to get a game every 6 months, so you played it no matter how good or bad it was... the fact I'm telling you to play this is in a way ruining why this game is so good.

But my God it's so hard to try and get people to just play it without them doing research and ruining it for themselves. I really wish there where more VN's like it.

Thanks for the Reccomandation.

I have Muv-Luv, Muv-Luv Alternative and Muv-Luv Alternative Eclipse

I'll go into it blind than ^^

Last edited:
STARSBarry STARSBarry

sgCTOM1.jpeg

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

This is making me want to play through this series again. It's one of those things where I wish I could erase my memories so I could experience it all over again.

I like how there's actual animations when they speak to each other

And just the motion in general

It's a nice and unique touch

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I like how there's actual animations when they speak to each other

And just the motion in general

It's a nice and unique touch

Keep in mind this came out in 2003, the same year homeworld 2 did, and think about how even 21 years later how static VN's generally are in comparison.

People tend to rag on extra, but it's very important in getting to know the characters and vastly superior to most VN's full stop alone, it takes it's time, and does it really well, something many games tend to skip over these days.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I’m playing Muv Luv Alternative right now and I’m bored out of my skull. I loved Extra and Unlimited but this is a neverending slog. If I get another infodump about robot tactics I’m going to go mad.

I’m currently looking for a Christmas present for you know who. Hope it’s not long now.

I've recently finished Summer Time Rendering (anime series) and found out there's also a VN made by Mages (I think it's a spin-off story of the manga/anime), but of course it's released in Japan only and there's no info if it will receive an English localization. Mages have also taken down most if not all the gameplay footage that's been posted on youtube so far... :lollipop_pensive:

summer-time-rendering-another-horizon-731835.7.jpg

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I've recently finished Summer Time Rendering (anime series) and found out there's also a VN made by Mages (I think it's a spin-off story of the manga/anime), but of course it's released in Japan only and there's no info if it will receive an English localization. Mages have also taken down most if not all the gameplay footage that's been posted on youtube so far... :lollipop_pensive:

summer-time-rendering-another-horizon-731835.7.jpg

Just started watching this anime with my youngest (11)....she loves it but I didn't realise it was as violent as it is. I'm so getting told off when I tell the wife.

Last edited:
Just started watching this anime with my youngest (11)....she loves it but I didn't realise it was as violent as it is. I'm so getting told off when I tell the wife.
It's a great anime, but it's rated 18+ on Disney+ due to lots of violent and gory scenes, so I would definitely not recommend it to pre-teens. 😅 Oh, and there's also some nudity and fan service in the first few episodes... so yeah, avoid this one for at least a few more years, I would say.

Garibaldi

It's a great anime, but it's rated 18+ on Disney+ due to lots of violent and gory scenes, so I would definitely not recommend it to pre-teens. 😅 Oh, and there's also some nudity and fan service in the first few episodes... so yeah, avoid this one for at least a few more years, I would say.
She had a good laugh at Mio flying off the pier at the start. I'll have to let her down gently if it that bad. Gonna be hell on.

Physical release for PS5 and Switch also confirmed.

UAF1Mhh.png

Last edited:
Muv-Luv / Muv-Luv Alternative Remastered Double Pack (Multi-Language) is getting a physical release on the Switch. Listing is up at PlayAsia.

Official Release Date Jun 27, 2024
Subtitles Japanese, English
Genre Visual Novel
Version Japan

muvluv-alternative-remastered-double-pack-801467.6.jpg

Does this include all three games 👀
Not sure, here's the item description:
Muv-Luv
Takeru is your average unassuming high school senior whose entire world gets turned upside down one morning when he awakens to find himself in bed with the heiress to one of the world’s largest international conglomerates. She calls herself Meiya, and – despite never having met him before – she insists that the two of them are destined for one another. This comes much to the chagrin of his childhood friend Sumika, the girl next door who’s always had feelings for him, who realizes that if she doesn’t act fast, she might just lose him forever. All of which begs the question: just who is Meiya? And do his feelings for Sumika run deeper than he thought? In the end, he’ll need to decide between the girl who’s been with him through thick and thin or the stranger who claims they’re bound together by fate.

But that’s only one side of the story.

Muv-Luv Alternative
Muv-Luv Alternative is an epic tale of political conspiracies, international espionage, alien menace, quantum causality, bittersweet reunions, genetic modification, and much, much more. Gluttons for punishment, rejoice because once it gets rolling, there are no brakes on this pain train.

Three years have passed since the day Takeru, an unsuspecting Japanese high-schooler, suddenly awoke in a world not his own - a war-torn alternate reality in which mankind was on the brink of extinction. As the tale comes to its despairing close, once again he awakes in his childhood bedroom. Not in his own world, but back where he was first spat out into this hellscape three years prior. Can Takeru use his knowledge to change Fate?

And here's the same SKU in the Japanese eShop - https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70070000021609.html

Top Bottom