• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tain
(10-30-2014, 05:44 PM)
NUeda on shmups made a few comparison shots of Super Contra between unfiltered and a MAME HLSL configuration mimicking typical calibration for Japanese arcade displays in the 80s:

The calibration is too extreme to me, but I think it's utterly undeniable that some amount of blur helps the image.
RichardKSJ
(10-30-2014, 05:46 PM)
I fucking love scanlines, it's the only filter I ever use. Also why I always try to keep a CRT.
Shiina
(10-30-2014, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Vespa

Which model of 3ds was this taken on?

XL with my phone camera (S3 mini).
Tain
(10-30-2014, 05:53 PM)
Another comparison, SF2 unfiltered and using a MAME HLSL filter config mimicking early 90's Japanese arcade display calibration:

Kuro
(10-30-2014, 05:57 PM)
I never knew I had a fetish for this until today
MisterM
(10-30-2014, 05:59 PM)
This is my favouritest thread ever.
antibolo
Banned
(10-30-2014, 06:00 PM)
Reposting some old pic I took for the Neo Geo thread. My PVM 20M2U. Was not taken to show off scanlines but if you click to see full size you will see them glorious scanlines I assure you.

KDash31987
(10-30-2014, 06:02 PM)
Oh, yeah, that Street Fighter II post reminded me of this picture that I took for another thread:

I'll take more proper, TV-focused shots of Super Street Fighter II Turbo later.

Just like with my Rayman post in the page before, that is the PlayStation version running off of a PlayStation 2 with component cables.
Peltz
(10-30-2014, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Tain

NUeda on shmups made a few comparison shots of Super Contra between unfiltered and a MAME HLSL configuration mimicking typical calibration for Japanese arcade displays in the 80s:

The calibration is too extreme to me, but I think it's utterly undeniable that some amount of blur helps the image.

O_O wow

Does anyone have the ability to photograph an intact original arcade monitor for SF2 (or another popular game) so we can see a bit more of this type of calibration, but on a real original cab vs. an emulator?

Edit: And yes, you're right. Maintaining the proper look of dithering techniques while also shooting for high image quality from original hardware is a very tricky endeavor, indeed. Too much precision in some certain games can be just as bad as not enough precision with regard to image quality. Dithering is where emulator filters can beat out upscalers and many lossless RGB monitor setups. It's also why, in my humble opinion, Emu-shots belong in this thread. The more resources we have to remember the way old games are supposed to look, the better off we'll be. Most of this artwork has aged far better than our Plasmas and LCDs can illustrate on their own.
Vespa
(10-30-2014, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Shiina

XL with my phone camera (S3 mini).

Ahh nice, that was a great shot.
MightyHedgehog
Welcome to the Wasteland.
I hope you're wearing your flak vest!
(10-30-2014, 08:08 PM)

Another comparison, SF2 unfiltered and using a MAME HLSL filter config mimicking early 90's Japanese arcade display calibration:

Yep, that's more like what I remember from arcade SF II back then. Also Final Fight Double Impact on X360 and PS3 has a nice approximation of an arcade CRT in its display options.
robot
(10-30-2014, 08:37 PM)
My RGB Twin Famicom arrives back from service today. I'm apologizing in advance for the screens I'm going to unload in this thread in the coming days.

A few more from the cab:

SFZ2A: Dramatic Battle Select (CPS2)

New Zealand Story (Taito PCB)

SF3: Third Strike (CPS3)

Bloody Roar (PCB - ZN1?)

Rally Bike (PCB)

Twinbee Yahoo! (Konami PCB)

Star Gladiator 2 (ZN2)

Tain
(10-30-2014, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by robot

My RGB Twin Famicom arrives back from service today. I'm apologizing in advance for the screens I'm going to unload in this thread in the coming days.

A few more from the cab:

ugh those look so good
EvilKatarn
(10-30-2014, 09:10 PM)

Originally Posted by MightyHedgehog

The original resolution jpg form of the source png

Brilliant. Made it my phone background.
Peltz
(10-30-2014, 09:15 PM)

A few more from the cab:

Can you post more from the Taito cab? I love Taito's artstyle from the 80s and 90s. Anything with "Bobble" in the title from them gets bonus thumbs up from me.
robot
(10-30-2014, 09:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Peltz

Can you post more from the Taito cab? I love Taito's artstyle from the 80s and 90s. Anything with "Bobble" in the title from them gets bonus thumbs up from me.

Elevator Action Returns and New Zealand Story are the Taito PCBs I own. The original Bubble Bobble is waaaaay too expensive, though I have been meaning to pick up Bubble Symphony or Memories. I used to have Rastan but it wasn't getting played much so I sold it.

I'll take some pics of EA Returns next time I put it in the cab (these are all running on the same cabinet btw).
sixteen-bit
(10-30-2014, 09:22 PM)
OP forgot the 56K warning :(
Peltz
(10-30-2014, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

I got your back. I edited the OP.

But you really need to upgrade your connection ;-)
Wenger'sBakedBaguettes
(10-30-2014, 09:40 PM)
So many beautiful games, so many good games. Keep it up!
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-30-2014, 09:53 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Picture thread. Comes with the territory.
DeFiBkIlLeR
Banned
(10-30-2014, 09:56 PM)
Street Fighter III New Generation with native 16:9 ratio selected in Dip Switch BIOS:

Mame
HLSL
CRT Rounded Corners Post FX Shader
Vignette

GayForMaster
Banned
(10-30-2014, 09:59 PM)

Originally Posted by richisawesome

click on these images to see the scanlines in full glory

Retroarch with crt-easymode shader. All games running in 240p:

and the crt-royale shader:

and the dmg game boy shader:

Is there really a point to posting this? Anyone on this planet can achieve that kind of graphical fidelity if they just have internet and a computer. I just personally don't see how its impressive with emulators and crt filters. Id rather see crt setups using rgb.
Muffdraul
(10-30-2014, 10:03 PM)
For some reason I have this very specific memory of going to Gamedude to pick up my imported copy of NiGHTS Into Dreams, going home, unhooking my Saturn and putting it in the car, driving over to where I was house sitting for a couple of weeks, setting up the Saturn on their HUGE Sony WEGA, and playing NiGHTS for the first time... and being annoyed because the TV was so damn big that even from like 15 feet away the scan lines were way too obvious.
Peltz
(10-30-2014, 10:15 PM)

Mario Kart, SNES 1, RGB out to 14" Panasonic Studio RGB Monitor
Bancho
(10-30-2014, 10:42 PM)
All these are shot off my JVC 20 Monitor. All RGB

R-Type - PC Engine

Final Fight - Retroarch Wii

Castle Of Illusion - Mega Drive

Streets Of Rage 3 - Mega Drive

Shatter Hand - RGB AV Famicom

Alo81
Low Poly Gynecologist
(10-30-2014, 10:45 PM)

That impact is huge.
sixteen-bit
(10-30-2014, 10:56 PM)

Originally Posted by DeFiBkIlLeR

Street Fighter III New Generation with native 16:9 ratio selected in Dip Switch BIOS:

Neat, I though only Second Impact had the 16:9 option.
opticalmace
(10-30-2014, 11:05 PM)

It makes the pixels/polygons look less blocky and pixelated on the edges. Diagonal lines of old school games weren't designed to look like blocky "staircases". But without scanlines, that's what they look like.

Properly applied scanlines are intended to fill in the gaps between rows of pixels to "complete" the image of 240p games. Notice how the shiny spot and soft shadowing on the blue ball in the very top row of comparison shots below looks a whole lot more natural on the right picture, and a whole lot blockier/ugly in the left picture. The lack of scanlines ruins the artwork in my opinion. And many others share this opinion.
---
P.S. The biggest difference that scanlines make are on games with prerendered backgrounds like DKC on SNES and Squaresoft RPGs on PS1. Ever notice that they look like garbage on modern HD displays? Scanlines are essential to get the proper intended effect of those images.

Wow, they make a huge difference. Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I think I now 'get it!'
ehnox
(10-31-2014, 12:14 AM)
Well some Yoshi Island comparison between many consoles.

Yoshis Island ( Real GBA screen) Vertical scanlines from what I can see

3DS VC (constrast seems to be really low on 3DS VC games) Not using powersavingmode

NDSi Yoshi Island DS (The DSi screen has really good colors and better constrast)

SNES classic ( RGB on Sony BVM14G5U) The Winner!
baphomet
(10-31-2014, 12:43 AM)
Couple more taken offscreen from my PVM 20M4U.

Marvel vs Capcom CPS2 board

Streets of Rage 3

Be sure to check them at fullsize for all the scan line goodness.
ehnox
(10-31-2014, 02:32 AM)

Originally Posted by baphomet

Couple more taken offscreen from my PVM 20M4U.

Marvel vs Capcom CPS2 board

Streets of Rage 3

Be sure to check them at fullsize for all the scan line goodness.

Impressive shots,I've just climaxed, nice tube btw
robot
(10-31-2014, 03:25 AM)
Contra - Famicom Version (RGB modded Twin Famicom via Framemeister)

Amazing how much cool shit the US version is missing. Cutscenes, background animations, a cool animated map. WTF Konami?

Peltz
(10-31-2014, 04:25 AM)

Contra - Famicom Version (RGB modded Twin Famicom via Framemeister)

Amazing how much cool shit the US version is missing. Cutscenes, background animations, a cool animated map. WTF Konami?

That looks fantastic! I need that RGB mod.

Can you post one of the FDS bios screen without a disk inserted?
Alo81
Low Poly Gynecologist
(10-31-2014, 04:52 AM)
For all the people working through emulator, are there any recommendations for Retroarch playing Aria of Sorrow, or just a great CRT shader?

This is my current set up, but if I could pull something nicer off I'd love to try it.
Peltz
(10-31-2014, 04:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Windam

My eyes! You people are monsters.

If it ain't 1080p60fps I won't play it, much less even look at it.

I got you covered:

Screens from Cuphead, the very same game as your own avatar.... sorta
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(10-31-2014, 05:02 AM)
I'm jerking to this thread, just thought ya'll should know that
robot
(10-31-2014, 05:03 AM)

That looks fantastic! I need that RGB mod.

Can you post one of the FDS bios screen without a disk inserted?

Sure, I actually have one of the disc loading, taken on a PVM (friend who modded it sent this when it was finished). Click for giant size!

HTupolev
(10-31-2014, 05:09 AM)

Excellent example ever for why "pixels are little squares" is a horrible thing to say.

CRT phosphors make such astoundingly beautiful image reconstruction filters.
moniker
(10-31-2014, 09:36 AM)
Some of these are super sexy.

Does anyone know how high resolution you would need to accurately simulate a CRT aperture grill with 240p content? Is 4K enough? And which is currently the best shader out there?
teokrazia
(10-31-2014, 09:37 AM)
Wonderful thread.
So much nostalgia!
KingpinZero
(10-31-2014, 09:49 AM)

Mate, ive tried to recreate what you did on mameui64 with HLSL shader enabled and CRT effect, but im getting over exposed image and washed out colors.

Care to share what you did or what i need to accomplish similar results to you?
Thanks
Peltz
(10-31-2014, 01:45 PM)

Marvel vs. Capcom PS1

Legend of Dragoon PS1

Both from my PS2 slim and RGB cable to my 14" Panasonic Studio RGB Monitor.
Bill Rizer
(10-31-2014, 02:05 PM)
Omg, I can't stand this thread, this is really too much goodness. Why can't I in 2014 go out and buy myself a brand new Sony/Panasonic hiend crt monitor? What's gone wrong?
Fularu
Banned
(10-31-2014, 02:14 PM)
My 32" Panasonic is in storage :(

It also lacks PAL support, which is why I never used it for my Amiga..

Oh well :D
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-31-2014, 02:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Bill Rizer

Omg, I can't stand this thread, this is really too much goodness. Why can't I in 2014 go out and buy myself a brand new Sony/Panasonic hiend crt monitor? What's gone wrong?

There is this rare phenomenon where old tech was actually superior to new tech. It's weird how all this analog stuff wipes the floor with digital modern stuff across various mediums. Happened with vinyl, now we learn to appreciate CRTs after cursing them for years lol.
Peltz
(10-31-2014, 02:29 PM)

Very close up comparison shot: Wii U Virtual Console vs. a real SNES on an old RGB Monitor. The top setup, in my humble opinion feels very flat and too sharp in real life in comparison to the bottom. We've gained clarity but lost atmosphere with technology over the years on old games. .Keep in mind, it's very hard to take photos of CRTs so detail is lost with the bottom picture. The contrast isn't that extreme in real life.

Edit: The top part of the CRT photo, as well as the Metroid itself is probably the most accurate looking part of the picture. The bottom area isn't really fair to compare due to the low quality of the photo... it's not how it really looks in person. The contrast is too high, but I wanted to also pick up the phosphorescent glow of the CRT so I left it.

Edit 2: Even with a decent upscaler or filter, there's really no way to simulate the phosphor glow on the subtle background gradient that adds so much presence to the image in the bottom pic, but looks so flat in the top picture.
Yes Boss!
(10-31-2014, 02:37 PM)

Very close up comparison shot: Wii U Virtual Console vs. a real SNES on an old RGB Monitor. The top setup, in my humble opinion feels very flat and too sharp in real life in comparison to the bottom. We've gained clarity but lost atmosphere with technology over the years on old games. (Keep in mind, it's very hard to take photos of CRTs so detail is lost with the bottom picture. The contrast isn't that extreme in real life).

Wii U is a crummy way to play VC. Good in a pinch (a decent upscaler) and gamepad playback only. Classic Wii VC on a CRT or PVM with component is very nice.
‹bermatik
(10-31-2014, 02:40 PM)

D.Lo
(10-31-2014, 03:22 PM)
Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo

RGB PC Engine Duo RX

Framemeister to Panasonic Plasma.
I only use quite light scaliness, just enough to fix the image, but before the 'venetian blind' effect hits.
I also have a 14" Sony PVM, but the mini honestly looks just as good, and at 55".
Tain
(10-31-2014, 03:33 PM)

Originally Posted by KingpinZero

Mate, ive tried to recreate what you did on mameui64 with HLSL shader enabled and CRT effect, but im getting over exposed image and washed out colors.

Care to share what you did or what i need to accomplish similar results to you?
Thanks

Those shots aren't mine, but instead NUeda's on shmups forums. He apparently went on to make an INI creation tool that would generate nice-looking individual MAME INI files for games depending on their era, but stopped development of it.

I think your best bet would be to check out INI creation tool from his blog: http://mame-hlsl-gallery.blogspot.pt/p/blog-page.html