• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Seanspeed
Banned
(05-23-2014, 01:00 PM)
Seanspeed's Avatar

Originally Posted by godelsmetric

I hope Turn10 have a totally new engine in the works for Forza 6. The current engine is really showing its age. Is it still the same engine now since Forza 2?

New graphics engine, new physics engine, all content built from ground up for new generation.

Why do you insist on doing this?

Originally Posted by BeeDog

That's quite a reach. What Project Cars has may be stages; it's not like Driveclub's 5 countries/locations won't allow for the 50+ stages to vary in looks. Since PCars strives for realism, its 30-40 stages probably won't vary a lot. What it may have over DC is city tracks.

Maybe. We'll see. So far its been lots of trees and mountains on very similar style road layouts.
fasTRapid
Banned
(05-23-2014, 01:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Seanspeed

unrelated

Do you even read?

Originally Posted by fasTRapid

Just taking visuals into account, this thread is a joke. GIFs are shit when you want to compare graphics.

I'm neither comparing performance nor content and just as reminder, here's the thread title again:

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen) Reply to Thread

;)

Originally Posted by rashbeep



;)

When you have nothing to respond, just quote the avatar. Easy.

I don't mind it, my avatar's beautiful. :p That doesn't change anything about my DC>>Forza>>Project Cars comment being true, though.
Twenty7KVN
Member
(05-23-2014, 01:37 PM)
Twenty7KVN's Avatar

Originally Posted by fasTRapid

When you have nothing to respond, just quote the avatar. Easy.

I don't mind it, my avatar's beautiful. :p That doesn't change anything about my DC>>Forza>>Project Cars comment being true, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4y4iUoKJg&hd=1
rashbeep
Member
(05-23-2014, 01:53 PM)
rashbeep's Avatar

Originally Posted by fasTRapid


When you have nothing to respond, just quote the avatar. Easy.

I don't mind it, my avatar's beautiful. :p That doesn't change anything about my DC>>Forza>>Project Cars comment being true, though.

I've seen more than a few of your posts to know that it's not going to make a difference whether I give you a proper response or not. But here goes anyways.. DC is a nice looking game, probably having the best lighting out of any racer. The poor iq really hurts it though. I'd also say modelling, textures and weather effects (I'm honestly surprised DC doesn't have any, I'm sure it'd make the game look even better if they tried implementing it) give Pcars the edge. Forza isn't really close to either so I'm not sure why you're saying otherwise (probably some negative bias towards Pcars for some reason).
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(05-23-2014, 01:58 PM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by Canis lupus

Must be kidding right, Driveclub looks better than PCArs on any system. The environmental detail and lighting alone makes both look a gen apart.

A gen apart? Hyperbole much? Both have advantages and disadvantages over each other, and certainly neither is a gen apart from the other.

(Also, those PCars shots in the comparison earlier in the thread are some of the very worst I've ever seen of the game. Are they from an early alpha or something? Or simply on low settings?)
tranciful
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Sid

DriveClub looks better than Forza but the difference between them is hardly what I'd call huge if these screens are direct feed and Forza even runs at 60 FPS



That gap is big..
travisbickle
(05-23-2014, 02:03 PM)
travisbickle's Avatar

Originally Posted by eso76

i love the way the lights are reflected on the car itself here.
I thought this was something we'd never see in a game.

GT7 using SSR and PD tricks will look out of this world.


Also, Forza 5 looks very good.
Go watch some Road America and Long Beach, remember it's 60fps and a launch game which was developed on a moving target hardware.
Driveclub was looking quite a lot worse then this when FM5 launched, and used to look worse than Fm5 itself last year. Delaying it gave devs the time to adjust to actual hardware, and was a very good move.

What the hell is up with lack of proper AF though ? it really hurts racing games.

As this is the "face-off" thread might as well say it ... Forza 5 at E3 looked a lot better than the released Forza 5 too. 3D crowds for starters, but a lot of other stuff was cut from that track.
reezoo
Junior Member
(05-23-2014, 02:06 PM)
reezoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sid

DriveClub looks better than Forza but the difference between them is hardly what I'd call huge if these screens are direct feed and Forza even runs at 60 FPS



Isn't Forza all backed lights while DC dynamic? if this is the case then DC is way ahead of Forza.
LilJoka
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:09 PM)
LilJoka's Avatar

Originally Posted by reezoo

Isn't Forza all backed lights while DC dynamic? if this is the case then DC is way ahead of Forza.

Yeh thats right, but 30fps vs 60fps.
ResidentDante
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:13 PM)
ResidentDante's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twenty7KVN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4y4iUoKJg&hd=1

Damn, that was stunning to watch.
Psycho_Mantis
Banned
(05-23-2014, 02:21 PM)

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Drive club has some graphics features like the inter car reflections etc that I hope future driving games copy.



This has to be mandatory in all next gen racers.
Acheteedo
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:23 PM)
Acheteedo's Avatar
I think I had unrealistically high hopes for racer graphics on the next-gen platforms... because they all look disappointing when not in photo mode.
LilJoka
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:24 PM)
LilJoka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acheteedo

I think I had unrealistically high hopes for racer graphics on the next-gen platforms... because they all look disappointing when not in photo mode.

They all look excellent in motion.
Acheteedo
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:25 PM)
Acheteedo's Avatar

Originally Posted by LilJoka

They all look excellent in motion.

I don't see it, there are good aspects but overall, when viewed at full resolution, they don't look as good as I'd hoped.
LilJoka
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:52 PM)
LilJoka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acheteedo

I don't see it, there are good aspects but overall, when viewed at full resolution, they don't look as good as I'd hoped.

Yeah i agree, but put them on a TV and sit 5 feet back and it looks great. On a monitor you are right though, they have a lot to be desired.

AC looks pretty stale on the PC even with SweetFX, but on my plasma is looks gorgeous, and its only running 720p, albeit max settings with SSGA 2x to get rid of AA on shadows.
twobear
sputum-flecked apoplexy
(05-23-2014, 02:54 PM)
twobear's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seanspeed

New graphics engine, new physics engine, all content built from ground up for new generation.

So why is so much of the track content and the lighting technique shared with the previous games in the series?

It does not, to me, look like a brand new ground-up engine. It looks like a supercharged version of the Forza 4 engine.
1st Course
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:56 PM)
1st Course's Avatar

Originally Posted by Canis lupus

There is no competition, Driveclub looks best.

Yup
LabouredSubterfuge
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:59 PM)
LabouredSubterfuge's Avatar

Originally Posted by Canis lupus

Must be kidding right, Driveclub looks better than PCArs on any system. The environmental detail and lighting alone makes both look a gen apart.

Originally Posted by fasTRapid

You've got to be kidding. PCars has nothing on Driveclub and doesn't even hold up to Forza in some shots.

Just taking visuals into account, this thread is a joke. GIFs are shit when you want to compare graphics.

Pop into the PC screenshot thread and search of PCars and tell me if a PS4 could reproduce that in its wildest dreams. Go ahead, I'll wait.
mekes
Member
(05-23-2014, 02:59 PM)
mekes's Avatar
Many reasons to be excited. Cant wait for Mario Kart next week and counting down the days til DriveClub and Project Cars. I think next gen as far as PS4 is concerned will begin once I own one of those 2 racers, whichever comes first. Very excited!
twobear
sputum-flecked apoplexy
(05-23-2014, 03:01 PM)
twobear's Avatar
Driveclub is more consistent than PCars but PCars at its best can pass for a photo. Driveclub can't.

I'm very impressed by NFS Rivals, though.

Forza 5 looks decent enough for a launch game but looking back at Forza 2 vs. Forza 4 I think we'll see similarly huge leaps from Forza 5 to Forza...7?
pop_tarts
Junior Member
(05-23-2014, 03:03 PM)
pop_tarts's Avatar
Just leaving my two cents, although being a junior I'm sure I only sounds bias to most.

60fps after experiencing it on a very nice 55" Samsung LED TV, seems very cartoony and not really life like. It was like when BluRay first came out and the image seemed to look like very bad green light effect where the characters did look like they belong in the screen. Very hard to explain but it almost felt like a B rated movie, that's how 60fps feels to me.

Need for Speed Rivals was the first next (current) gen racer I played and loved it the animations felt smooth and had no input faults whats so ever. Fastward to me getting an Xbox One just for Forza I felt that cartoony feel again of what 60fps looks like. Not sure about you guys but real life doesn't look like 60fps and to be honest doesn't do anything for me for racing games.

All that being said DriveClub with it's fantastic lighting seems to be very well placed rather than going for 60fps. They said they'd add weather such as rain and such if the community wanted it post release. So I'm sure they looked into it and since the game ran way above 30 when unlocked I'm sure weather will not affect the 30fps.

For me Project Cars so far does have the best Car Models outside, but DC have better interior. So depending on your play style I will give both equal points for that. But environment goes to DC because their lighting makes every feel so close to real life.

http://youtu.be/u9_GmRaDFU0?t=1m56s

They should rerelease this video with all the improvements because this is what got me back on the Driveclub Hype Train...that cozy feel inside that R8 cockpit at night...sweet baby jesus the feels.

Anyway I'm excited for both PCars and DC they bring different tastes of sweet baby jesus which is a very appetizing meal until GT7 gets here.
Betta Lines
Member
(05-23-2014, 03:12 PM)
Betta Lines's Avatar

Originally Posted by LabouredSubterfuge

Pop into the PC screenshot thread and search of PCars and tell me if a PS4 could reproduce that in its wildest dreams. Go ahead, I'll wait.

There are certain things that Drive Club does better than PCARS, and no amount of raw performance from high-end PCs is going to change that. Environment detail and variety is the obvious one.
Seanspeed
Banned
(05-23-2014, 03:15 PM)
Seanspeed's Avatar

Originally Posted by fasTRapid

Do you even read?

Yes, I do. Thanks for the dismissive, shit reply, though.

Many people consider framerate a part of 'graphics'. Considering it plays a huge part in how a game looks, I don't consider that unfair at all, especially for the purposes of this thread.

And the less environments a game has to deal with, the more optimized they can make it. It does play a part in the graphics of a game, for the same reason that a game being open world or linear can have an effect.

Originally Posted by godelsmetric

So why is so much of the track content and the lighting technique shared with the previous games in the series?

It does not, to me, look like a brand new ground-up engine. It looks like a supercharged version of the Forza 4 engine.

Well the track content is shared because that's how racing game sequels tend to work. But they were all redone.

And lighting, well, its impossible to say the exact reason, but I would suspect its just a tendency for whoever is in charge of that. Perhaps its something they like, or perhaps its the sort of lighting they choose to go with because it helps performance(would be my guess)? Previous Forza's were also known for their aliasing, which is also likely to do with performance compromises. Doesn't necessarily mean its the same engine.

Forza does have a fairly unique graphic 'style' to it, though. I think that's largely what makes it look similar to previous Forza's overall. And I like that. Its recognizable and I like the more vibrant approach with colors and whatnot.
Seanspeed
Banned
(05-23-2014, 03:17 PM)
Seanspeed's Avatar

Originally Posted by pop_tarts

Just leaving my two cents, although being a junior I'm sure I only sounds bias to most.

60fps after experiencing it on a very nice 55" Samsung LED TV, seems very cartoony and not really life like. It was like when BluRay first came out and the image seemed to look like very bad green light effect where the characters did look like they belong in the screen. Very hard to explain but it almost felt like a B rated movie, that's how 60fps feels to me.

Need for Speed Rivals was the first next (current) gen racer I played and loved it the animations felt smooth and had no input faults whats so ever. Fastward to me getting an Xbox One just for Forza I felt that cartoony feel again of what 60fps looks like. Not sure about you guys but real life doesn't look like 60fps and to be honest doesn't do anything for me for racing games.

All that being said DriveClub with it's fantastic lighting seems to be very well placed rather than going for 60fps. They said they'd add weather such as rain and such if the community wanted it post release. So I'm sure they looked into it and since the game ran way above 30 when unlocked I'm sure weather will not affect the 30fps.

For me Project Cars so far does have the best Car Models outside, but DC have better interior. So depending on your play style I will give both equal points for that. But environment goes to DC because their lighting makes every feel so close to real life.

http://youtu.be/u9_GmRaDFU0?t=1m56s

They should rerelease this video with all the improvements because this is what got me back on the Driveclub Hype Train...that cozy feel inside that R8 cockpit at night...sweet baby jesus the feels.

Anyway I'm excited for both PCars and DC they bring different tastes of sweet baby jesus which is a very appetizing meal until GT7 gets here.

Bad news man:

Both Project Cars and GT7 will be 60fps, and therefore cartoony. Sorry.

And yes, you sound incredibly biased. Bashing Forza for its 60fps, but then saying you're excited for these two other 60fps racers on the PS4, lol

EDIT: Crap, meant to edit this into my other post.
Synth
Member
(05-23-2014, 03:23 PM)
Synth's Avatar

Originally Posted by pop_tarts

Just leaving my two cents, although being a junior I'm sure I only sounds bias to most.

60fps after experiencing it on a very nice 55" Samsung LED TV, seems very cartoony and not really life like. It was like when BluRay first came out and the image seemed to look like very bad green light effect where the characters did look like they belong in the screen. Very hard to explain but it almost felt like a B rated movie, that's how 60fps feels to me.

Need for Speed Rivals was the first next (current) gen racer I played and loved it the animations felt smooth and had no input faults whats so ever. Fastward to me getting an Xbox One just for Forza I felt that cartoony feel again of what 60fps looks like. Not sure about you guys but real life doesn't look like 60fps and to be honest doesn't do anything for me for racing games.

All that being said DriveClub with it's fantastic lighting seems to be very well placed rather than going for 60fps. They said they'd add weather such as rain and such if the community wanted it post release. So I'm sure they looked into it and since the game ran way above 30 when unlocked I'm sure weather will not affect the 30fps.

For me Project Cars so far does have the best Car Models outside, but DC have better interior. So depending on your play style I will give both equal points for that. But environment goes to DC because their lighting makes every feel so close to real life.

http://youtu.be/u9_GmRaDFU0?t=1m56s

They should rerelease this video with all the improvements because this is what got me back on the Driveclub Hype Train...that cozy feel inside that R8 cockpit at night...sweet baby jesus the feels.

Anyway I'm excited for both PCars and DC they bring different tastes of sweet baby jesus which is a very appetizing meal until GT7 gets here.

You've done a very bad job at getting your point across in this post. Luckily as it's a rather common topic, I have a good idea of what you're trying to say.

By "lifelike", I'm assuming you mean "cinematic". Much like how recording a 60fps home video doesn't give the same impression that a 24fps Hollywood movie does. The home video however is far more accurate portrayal of what the actual event was like in real life than the edited movie footage is, it simply appears less dramatic to you. Similarly, whilst a 30fps game may capture a more cinematic feel, it's by no means more realistic than 60fps.

Nobody in real life would be racing at high speeds if their eyes were unable to perceive any more than 30 updates a second. There's far too much information missing in between frames, and you will have covered far too much of the track between each update to reliably judge your current position, and this affects your ability to react (such as braking on time).

If you can try playing the same racing game at both 30fps and 60fps (PC vs console versions are good for this), and then tell me 30fps felt more real.

Also yes, saying Forza feels cartoony because 60fps, but not Gran Turismo sounds very biased (and not because you're a junior).
Seanspeed
Banned
(05-23-2014, 03:37 PM)
Seanspeed's Avatar
I think 60fps is one of those things that looks odd at first if your eyes/brain are not used to it, but it doesn't take very long before it starts to process more naturally and you become accustomed to it.
Kayant
Member
(05-23-2014, 03:42 PM)
Kayant's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seanspeed

I think 60fps is one of those things that looks odd at first if your eyes/brain are not used to it, but it doesn't take very long before it starts to process more naturally and you become accustomed to it.

Yep that's what happened to me.
ChiliManiac
Banned
(05-23-2014, 03:44 PM)
Why is driveclub even on this? It's not even out yet...
fasTRapid
Banned
(05-23-2014, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Twenty7KVN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4y4iUoKJg&hd=1

Originally Posted by LabouredSubterfuge

Pop into the PC screenshot thread and search of PCars and tell me if a PS4 could reproduce that in its wildest dreams. Go ahead, I'll wait.

First off, I based my statement on the linked and in my book good (at least the best we have right now) direct comparison, in which it's DC >> Forza >> PCars, obvs.

Secondly, while I think that footage is impressive, it's not as immersive and visually detailed as is Driveclub's. Considering everything besides the track looks like shit, it's really offputting to me and worsens the overall graphical fidelity dramatically.

Originally Posted by rashbeep

I've seen more than a few of your posts to know that it's not going to make a difference whether I give you a proper response or not. But here goes anyways.. DC is a nice looking game, probably having the best lighting out of any racer. The poor iq really hurts it though. I'd also say modelling, textures and weather effects (I'm honestly surprised DC doesn't have any, I'm sure it'd make the game look even better if they tried implementing it) give Pcars the edge. Forza isn't really close to either so I'm not sure why you're saying otherwise (probably some negative bias towards Pcars for some reason).

Oh, thank you to the bolded. And a definitive no to the underlined. I'm actually looking forward to PCars.

And again, I'm talking about the comparison screenshots posted on page 2. I think PCars' weather effects are nice and am hopeful Evolution look into adding any into Driveclub but seeing the whole picture, I'll stay where I stand.

Driveclub's textures may be less detailed (what are you basing this on btw?), but they don't take away anything from the overall graphical fidelity as the rich environments and small details put it in a league of its own.

I'd say when you go out and show people screenshots or videos of the three, they'll say Driveclub's the most realistic because PCars' off-track modeling is very telling and immersion-breaking.
You can have the best models ever, if everything else isn't holding up to that, that's offputting and not something you want (hyperbolic but I hope you get the point).

Originally Posted by Pazuzu9

There are certain things that Drive Club does better than PCARS, and no amount of raw performance from high-end PCs is going to change that. Environment detail and variety is the obvious one.

Yes. You can't brute-force pretty.
shandy706
Member
(05-23-2014, 04:30 PM)
shandy706's Avatar
Playing around with WebMs

http://a.pomf.se/hypmgt.webm (replay)

http://a.pomf.se/lwzxur.webm (in game)

http://a.pomf.se/pekcci.webm (replay)

http://a.pomf.se/tjrwmv.webm (in game)

http://a.pomf.se/gvykhb.webm (in game)

Right click "open in new tab" to see full res and hear audio.

Edit* I find it funny that Forza is the only realistic racer in this list/comparison that has actually been fully released...and last year for that matter. Also, anyone that doesn't think F5 is impressive for a sim @60fps has NOT played other sims...including PC sims. Even PCars has some horrid environments...and even more offensive trees/environments/details on some tracks (the ones I've experienced at least). The weather helps sex it up some..as do super closeups of cars and a lot of blur/depth of field.

Originally Posted by psn

Replay videos in Forza are 30fps, arent they? Ingame footage vs ingame footage pls.

Surely you didn't ignore my post...3 of those are in-game. Pretty easy to tell which is which (only 2 are replay angles). Edit** I labeled them for the confused. There isn't some massive leap in graphics from gameplay to a replay in Forza 5. They're darn near identical...minus some AA maybe.
TheCloser
Banned
(05-23-2014, 04:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Twenty7KVN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4y4iUoKJg&hd=1

Sorry but PC is not really impressive. When I saw this video at first, I was hyped because of the weather effects but honestly, it's a very meh game. I've seen uncompressed screenshots of the latest build on PC ultra settings and it barely looks better than forza 5. In fact, this game only looks good when there is weather because it helps to hide the deficiencies in the game. Bad looking environments, 2d trees, lots 2d cut out textures instead of 3d objects. It's really not that special. I read an article which showed project cars vs project cars staged screenshots and it was an eye opening article.
pixellated_man
Member
(05-23-2014, 05:01 PM)
pixellated_man's Avatar
3 serious problems with this comparison thread;
1) Drive club and Project cars still has some 4 months or so development time left. Lot's of time to improve further.
2) Drive club and NFS rivals are 30fps while the others are 60fps, so inherently unfair comparison.
3) Gifs taken from footage of varying quality makes comparison difficult, especially from I.Q point of view.

Having said that, if I am to go ahead and rate them anyway on visual fidelity alone (not taking into account performance), then in my opinion;
Driveclub ---> Pcars ---> Forza ---> NFS ---> Mario kart
psn
Member
(05-23-2014, 05:17 PM)
psn's Avatar
Replay videos in Forza are 30fps, arent they? Ingame footage vs ingame footage pls.
Terbinator
Member
(05-23-2014, 05:21 PM)
Terbinator's Avatar

Originally Posted by psn

Replay videos in Forza are 30fps, arent they? Ingame footage vs ingame footage pls.

In-game is there too.
Darkologia
Member
(05-23-2014, 05:35 PM)
Darkologia's Avatar
If anyone can make 1080p/60fps racing game that look like DC or even better, its gonna be Polyphony Digital just wait for GT7
Terbinator
Member
(05-23-2014, 05:36 PM)
Terbinator's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darkologia

If anyone can make 1080p/60fps racing game that look like DC or even better, its gonna be Polyphony Digital just wait for GT7

PCars already does this.
DemonCleaner
Junior Member
(05-23-2014, 06:05 PM)
DemonCleaner's Avatar
i really can't see why pcgaf is wanking off to this:

Originally Posted by Volotaire

Project CARS, Weather Effects, Real Time, Sped up

Project CARS Weather Effects

aside from nice puddles (which are basically used to distract from everything else) there's not much pretty here. the environments are horrendous, really.
Hawk269
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:17 PM)
Hawk269's Avatar

Originally Posted by pop_tarts

Just leaving my two cents, although being a junior I'm sure I only sounds bias to most.

60fps after experiencing it on a very nice 55" Samsung LED TV, seems very cartoony and not really life like. It was like when BluRay first came out and the image seemed to look like very bad green light effect where the characters did look like they belong in the screen. Very hard to explain but it almost felt like a B rated movie, that's how 60fps feels to me.

Need for Speed Rivals was the first next (current) gen racer I played and loved it the animations felt smooth and had no input faults whats so ever. Fastward to me getting an Xbox One just for Forza I felt that cartoony feel again of what 60fps looks like. Not sure about you guys but real life doesn't look like 60fps and to be honest doesn't do anything for me for racing games.

All that being said DriveClub with it's fantastic lighting seems to be very well placed rather than going for 60fps. They said they'd add weather such as rain and such if the community wanted it post release. So I'm sure they looked into it and since the game ran way above 30 when unlocked I'm sure weather will not affect the 30fps.

For me Project Cars so far does have the best Car Models outside, but DC have better interior. So depending on your play style I will give both equal points for that. But environment goes to DC because their lighting makes every feel so close to real life.

http://youtu.be/u9_GmRaDFU0?t=1m56s

They should rerelease this video with all the improvements because this is what got me back on the Driveclub Hype Train...that cozy feel inside that R8 cockpit at night...sweet baby jesus the feels.

Anyway I'm excited for both PCars and DC they bring different tastes of sweet baby jesus which is a very appetizing meal until GT7 gets here.

Wait...so you are saying ick to 60fps for a racer? Am I reading that correctly? The only reason Driveclub is not 60fps is because technically they could not reach that because of the other visual features they want to showcase. If they had more horsepower, they would of made it 60fps in a heart beat.
Seanspeed
Banned
(05-23-2014, 06:18 PM)
Seanspeed's Avatar

Originally Posted by DemonCleaner

i really can't see why pcgaf is wanking off to this:



aside from nice puddles (which are basically used to distract from everything else) there's not much pretty here. the environments are horrendous, really.

Yes, they clearly included puddles on-track specifically to distract from the hideous visuals of the game.
Majanew
Banned
(05-23-2014, 06:23 PM)
Majanew's Avatar
Well, I've only played Forza 5 and NFS Rivals (PS4) and FM5 definitely is the better looking racer. NFS Rivals frame-rate has micro-stuttering and the motion blur is excessive. FM5 looks much better in cockpit view while racing than chase cam. The light shafts and windshield reflections is awesome. PCars and Driveclub definitely aren't a gen apart like some suggest, going by gameplay footage.


Originally Posted by Hawk269

Wait...so you are saying ick to 60fps for a racer? Am I reading that correctly? The only reason Driveclub is not 60fps is because technically they could not reach that because of the other visual features they want to showcase. If they had more horsepower, they would of made it 60fps in a heart beat.

Yeah, if they left it with the current graphics and didn't use that "more horsepower" to pretty up the graphics more while keeping it 30fps.
thuway
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:23 PM)
thuway's Avatar
Gonna get Lasagna for this.
ResidentDante
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:23 PM)
ResidentDante's Avatar

Originally Posted by psn

Replay videos in Forza are 30fps, arent they? Ingame footage vs ingame footage pls.

Are you blindly ignoring the ingame footage posted a few comments over you?
VanWinkle
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:26 PM)
VanWinkle's Avatar

Originally Posted by pixellated_man

3 serious problems with this comparison thread;
1) Drive club and Project cars still has some 4 months or so development time left. Lot's of time to improve further.
2) Drive club and NFS rivals are 30fps while the others are 60fps, so inherently unfair comparison.
3) Gifs taken from footage of varying quality makes comparison difficult, especially from I.Q point of view.

Having said that, if I am to go ahead and rate them anyway on visual fidelity alone (not taking into account performance), then in my opinion;
Driveclub ---> Pcars ---> Forza ---> NFS ---> Mario kart

Really? I think NFS looks quite a bit better than Forza, particularly in environmental geometry and detail, lighting, and effects.
thuway
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:28 PM)
thuway's Avatar

Originally Posted by Majanew;113147563 [B

PCars and Driveclub definitely aren't a gen apart like some suggest.[/B]

First off, if you are going to write off Drive Club's lighting engine and real time reflections off- understand just what you are doing.

Forza bakes shit in. If you don't understand that concept, than fine, but if you can grasp why being honest, dynamic, and REAL is an important thing- Drive Club immediately stands out- and you understand why its 30 FPS.

In terms of real time lighting, shadow maps, and environmental detail- Drive Club destroys every other racer on the PS4 or Xbox One. 60 FPS- etc, that's how a game handles, but in terms of pure visuals, it's a mile ahead.
SniperHunter
Banned
(05-23-2014, 06:28 PM)
I don't think we should even talk about Driveclub in this thread until the game is out. Evolution can and will improve the graphics by the time the game ships.

Forza 5 will be a year old, so it shouldn't be compared to Driveclub. We should wait for Forza Horizons to show up.
Terbinator
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:32 PM)
Terbinator's Avatar

Originally Posted by SniperHunter

Forza 5 will be a year old, so it shouldn't be compared to Driveclub. We should wait for Forza Horizons to show up.

But the one is open-world and the other is not even if both are 30FPS. Thus the cycle continues.
Majanew
Banned
(05-23-2014, 06:35 PM)
Majanew's Avatar

Originally Posted by thuway

First off, if you are going to write off Drive Club's lighting engine and real time reflections off- understand just what you are doing.

Forza bakes shit in. If you don't understand that concept, than fine, but if you can grasp why being honest, dynamic, and REAL is an important thing- Drive Club immediately stands out- and you understand why its 30 FPS.

In terms of real time lighting, shadow maps, and environmental detail- Drive Club destroys every other racer on the PS4 or Xbox One. 60 FPS- etc, that's how a game handles, but in terms of pure visuals, it's a mile ahead.

Tech that doesn't result in an image that shows a racing game a generation ahead. Sorry, Driveclub is not a generation ahead graphics-wise. It may look better and may be more detailed, but... it is not a generation ahead.
p3tran
Banned
(05-23-2014, 06:36 PM)
p3tran's Avatar

Originally Posted by Majanew

Well, I've only played Forza 5 and NFS Rivals (PS4) and FM5 definitely is the better looking racer. NFS Rivals frame-rate has micro-stuttering and the motion blur is excessive. FM5 looks much better in cockpit view while racing than chase cam. The light shafts and windshield reflections is awesome. PCars and Driveclub definitely aren't a gen apart like some suggest, going by gameplay footage.

I was going to say that nfs looks good, but I also agree with maja above.


anyway, here is a clip from the upload xbone util. this I think is very compressed down to 720p/3mbits.
so, if any of you guys with capture cards can capture stuff like the clip below, but in good quality, then it could be used for this thread.
lets not forget that nfs does time of day, weather, damage and open road.
and was day1 like forza5

http://gameclipscontent-d3003.xboxli...3b6f3df43fd007

edit:
link2
drugstore_cowboy
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:38 PM)
drugstore_cowboy's Avatar
NFS looks really nice, I've never even bothered watching a video of it before.
Final Verdict
Member
(05-23-2014, 06:41 PM)
Final Verdict's Avatar
Not fair comparison

Some of these games such as Driveclub and Need for Speed are running at 30fps, and some like Forza 5 and Mario Kart 8 are running at 60fps.

This is important as 60fps take roughly 2x the processing power as 30fps, so games running at 30fps can afford to put in better lighting, better environmental effects, better draw distance, and more detailed car models as they have more GPU time to draw up each frame.

Also NFS and Forza 5 are launch titles, so they theoretically didn't have as much time to optimize the game or engine for the console as Mario Kart 8 and Driveclub have.

Thread Tools