Originally Posted by Blackheim

New Triptykon songs:

Breathing

Bolskine House

I came here to post these. So god damn good
choodi
(03-15-2014, 06:42 AM)

Originally Posted by WoodenLung

The two first tracks from Killer Be Killed (Greg Puciato,Max Cavalera, Troy Sanders and Dave Elitch) was just released

http://youtu.be/eJE_V3QACRk

Not sure what to think of it, not a fan at first listen... Seems really bland.

Some nice melodies, but I have to agree that it is just a bit bland. Sterile is probably a good description.
Spectacular Dr Dawg
(03-15-2014, 11:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Melchiah

Gnaw Their Tongues & Alkerdeel - 'Dyodyo Asema'

Correct listening for nocturnal hours.

Sounds pretty good. I wouldn't mind a full-length like that.
I'll have to look up Alkerdeel on youtube as I'm not familiar with their music at all.
Lambda Pie
Banned
(03-15-2014, 11:32 AM)
time for the best Blind Guardian clone, Savage Circus!! only heard the first album but damn even the singer sounds like Hansi. highest of recommendations.

Evil Eyes (what a fuckin song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tdIk6Udgs
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-15-2014, 11:38 AM)
BG without the melodies and songwriting. At least there is a dark elf jerking off behind a tree and a nude blonde on horseback.
Spectacular Dr Dawg
(03-15-2014, 01:40 PM)
I just read that Anhedonist have broken up. Shame that it didn't last longer. Their full-length album Netherwards was really good death/doom.

Estrangement
Inherent Opprobrium
Watevaman
(03-15-2014, 04:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin

How come?

I'm legitimately curious BTW. I respect your opinion.

I'm not him but I share the opinion of AJFA>MOP, so I'll explain why to the best of my ability. Puppets to me was a little to much of an escape from what Metallica started out as. It still had thrash elements and the heavy hitting drums, but the tone of the album definitely moved towards a darker element. The whole album feels more like a traditional heavy handed metal album than a band trying to create a distinct tone. I didn't grow up when it first came out, though, so by the time I got around to listening to it (which was around 1999/2000 I'd say), I had already heard a lot of mainstream metal and it just didn't stick out. Justice was more of a return to their RTL/KEA form to me. Nice lighter tones and better (subjective) riffs.

Now, both albums are pretty distinctive "Metallica" albums, but it's just if a song from MOP were to pop up on the radio, I think it'd be more easily confused for just another metal song, whereas something from AJFA would be easier to distinguish.
Melchiah
(03-15-2014, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Spectacular Dr Dawg

Sounds pretty good. I wouldn't mind a full-length like that.
I'll have to look up Alkerdeel on youtube as I'm not familiar with their music at all.

Here's a song from them, Luizig
SpartanForce
Banned
(03-15-2014, 09:27 PM)
Finally got a Heavy Metal HM-2 pedal. Here's a test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Jiuh2TjGY
Doomshine
(03-15-2014, 09:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Vio-Lence

BG without the melodies and songwriting. At least there is a dark elf jerking off behind a tree and a nude blonde on horseback.

I prefer Jens Carlsson's other band, Persuader. Their new album is pretty good btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdaZ4yWR3k8
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-15-2014, 09:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Watevaman

I'm not him but I share the opinion of AJFA>MOP, so I'll explain why to the best of my ability. Puppets to me was a little to much of an escape from what Metallica started out as. It still had thrash elements and the heavy hitting drums, but the tone of the album definitely moved towards a darker element. The whole album feels more like a traditional heavy handed metal album than a band trying to create a distinct tone. I didn't grow up when it first came out, though, so by the time I got around to listening to it (which was around 1999/2000 I'd say), I had already heard a lot of mainstream metal and it just didn't stick out. Justice was more of a return to their RTL/KEA form to me. Nice lighter tones and better (subjective) riffs.

Now, both albums are pretty distinctive "Metallica" albums, but it's just if a song from MOP were to pop up on the radio, I think it'd be more easily confused for just another metal song, whereas something from AJFA would be easier to distinguish.

I don't know, I've always liked MOP, but I just feel Justice is more strong myself, even though that's not saying that much because I've always loved MOP. Justice to me just...means something to me, although Ride will always be my favorite.

I think Fade To Black will always be amongst the best Metal songs ever made. I mean seriously, that song saved the lives of many people back then. That's...remarkable.
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-15-2014, 10:46 PM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-25zzUGKDT8

this is an expert lesson in maximizing a good riff.
Last edited by Vio-Lence; 03-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.
fallout
(03-15-2014, 11:14 PM)

this is an expert leseson in maximizing a good riff.

Such a great song. I love queuing up Cenotaph, Embers, etc. after it.
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-15-2014, 11:20 PM)

this is an expert leseson in maximizing a good riff.

I already know of Bolt Thrower and love their work. I don't need a lesson in how to maximize a good riff, thanks.
Last edited by Andrew Korenchkin; 11-12-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Gr1mLock
Passing metallic gas
(03-15-2014, 11:41 PM)

Bad ass riff but dat drumming tho
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-15-2014, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Gr1mLock

brother gr1m, the riff or theme is reused on each subsequent BT album, and the production improves as you move chronologically. the production on world eater is rough compared to the other songs. bolt thrower doesn't really hit their trademark sound until WarMaster. you could fast forward to cenotaph or embers.
Gr1mLock
Passing metallic gas
(03-15-2014, 11:50 PM)

brother gr1m, the riff or theme is reused on each subsequent BT album, and the production improves as you move chronologically. the production on world eater is rough compared to the other songs. bolt thrower doesn't really hit their trademark sound until WarMaster. you could fast forward to cenotaph or embers.

No i mean the drumming is bad ass. All the songs are pretty good but yea the last couple feel a bit tighter.
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-15-2014, 11:52 PM)
we nerd chatting tonight?
Gr1mLock
Passing metallic gas
(03-15-2014, 11:55 PM)
We in there.
friday
(03-16-2014, 12:09 AM)
There are a lot of great tours coming up, anyone have something they are especially excited about?

I am going to see godflesh pretty soon, and then the very next night gorguts and carcass are playing. I already have tickets to both. I think the weekend after that behemoth is coming to town and gojira is gonna be in NYC in May. They are on tour with mastodon. I am probably gonna go see gojira, not sure about behemoth, their new album rules though.
FYC
Banned
(03-16-2014, 12:41 AM)
I have to drive 6 hours to the city if I want to see a concert, very rarely do we get any shows where I live.

That said, I would fucking love to see Destruction/Krisiun/Exmortus next month if I could.
fallout
(03-16-2014, 12:43 AM)
Winnipeg's not getting much in the next little while. I'll definitely go check out Behemoth, although I'll mostly be going for the other bands.
FACE
Banned
(03-16-2014, 12:46 AM)

The problem is that most bands don't have the talent required to write a riff that good.
Vio-Lence
Banned
(03-16-2014, 12:59 AM)

I already know of Bolt Thrower and love their work. I don't need a lesson in how to maximize a good riff, thanks.

True what you need is a lesson in violence.
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-16-2014, 01:00 AM)

True what you need is a lesson in violence.

Bonded By Blood is another favorite of mine.
Kaladin
Banned
(03-16-2014, 01:15 AM)
Check out some new shit:

Dirty South Revolutionaries - Damn The Whiskey
Giant Robot
(03-16-2014, 03:13 AM)

Haha, I played World Eater/Cenotaph/Embers all in a row on my radio show a while back and got complaints that the song was "too long" and skipped over the station ID.

Originally Posted by SpartanForce

Finally got a Heavy Metal HM-2 pedal. Here's a test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Jiuh2TjGY

Which version did you get? I've always wanted to get one, but that would require me to buy a Gibson Flying V to keep it true.

Originally Posted by Gr1mLock

Andy Whale's drumming style is so fucking badass. Love the simplicity and drum beats he uses. Never gets old.
Last edited by Giant Robot; 03-16-2014 at 03:15 AM.
SpartanForce
Banned
(03-16-2014, 03:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Giant Robot

Which version did you get? I've always wanted to get one, but that would require me to buy a Gibson Flying V to keep it true.

I think is the japanese one.

here's another test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5fp1DUMyo
Hydranockz
(03-16-2014, 03:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Godofnerdiness

I have to drive 6 hours to the city if I want to see a concert, very rarely do we get any shows where I live.

That said, I would fucking love to see Destruction/Krisiun/Exmortus next month if I could.

Saw Krisiun in January when they played on tour with Kataklysm. Highly recommend them. I don't enjoy sitting down to listen to bands like that and seeing them live made me realise that even more. Really energetic.
Giant Robot
(03-16-2014, 03:37 AM)

I think is the japanese one.

here's another test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5fp1DUMyo

I was also able to get a similar Stockholm/Sunlight Studios sound when I mixed a DOD Grunge and a Thrash Master pedal together. Now that the HM2's are a little easier to get nowadays, I've been considering picking it up and a new guitar.
Last edited by Giant Robot; 03-16-2014 at 03:48 AM.
SpartanForce
Banned
(03-16-2014, 03:47 AM)

I was also able to get a similar Stockholm/Sunlight Studios sound when I mixed a DOD Grunge and a Thrash Master pedal together. Now that the HM2's are a little easier to get nowadays, I've been considering picking it up and a new guitar.

do it brah
this pedal is awesome
shame that I know of tabs only for Entombed and Bloodbath
Giant Robot
(03-16-2014, 03:50 AM)

do it brah
this pedal is awesome
shame that I know of tabs only for Entombed and Bloodbath

I'll have to share all the stuff my friend transcribed: Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, Unleashed, Grave. Total Swedish worship back then.
SpartanForce
Banned
(03-16-2014, 04:01 AM)

I'll have to share all the stuff my friend transcribed: Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, Unleashed, Grave. Total Swedish worship back then.

thanks, gonna check those bands
Clown_im_OP
(03-16-2014, 02:22 PM)
Ultimate Riffage
Satanic Saint
(03-16-2014, 02:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Clown_im_OP

Ultimate Riffage

Yup, this is my favourite Melvins song.
Clown_im_OP
(03-16-2014, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Satanic Saint

Yup, this is my favourite Melvins song.

I love me some Melvins, but if I had to choose one song it would be Revolve, yeah. That riff is some kind of once in a lifetime black magic voodoo genius shit.
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-16-2014, 06:10 PM)

Ultimate Riffage

Dude....this song rules.

Melvins kick ass.
Clown_im_OP
(03-16-2014, 06:53 PM)
In other news: Bongripper teased their new album with this pic:

Gonna be brown tone levels of low.
TheLastCandle
(03-16-2014, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by obin_gam

New song from EDGUYs new album "Space Police: Defenders of the Crown"
Sabre & Torch

You can always count on Tobi & Co. Party metal gods!

Love it. Great stuff.
Giant Robot
(03-17-2014, 02:19 AM)

Haha, thats fucking ridiculous.
Caladrius
(03-17-2014, 02:30 AM)

I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with Guitars and all the modifications and techniques that come with them. What's going on with the strings?
fredrancour
(03-17-2014, 02:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Caladrius

I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with Guitars and all the modifications and techniques that come with them. What's going on with the strings?

The strings on that bass are way, way, way thicker than those on an average bass.
Caladrius
(03-17-2014, 02:46 AM)

Originally Posted by fredrancour

The strings on that bass are way, way, way thicker than those on an average bass.

Which I'm guessing makes the notes deeper?

Thanks.
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-17-2014, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by fredrancour

I play Bass, and I'm intrigued by this bass. I can only imagine what kind of tones they will be able to get out of it.
fredrancour
(03-17-2014, 03:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Caladrius

Which I'm guessing makes the notes deeper?

Thanks.

Yeah. They'll be lower at any given amount of tension than a thinner string. You can get deeper tones on normal-thickness guitar and bass strings by loosening them, but after a certain point, they become too loose to actually make sounds. They just flop about instead of ringing. So, if you want notes below a certain point you must get thicker strings.
SpartanForce
Banned
(03-17-2014, 03:02 AM)
On the bongripper topic. Drop F or F Standard is COMPLETELY unnecessary. B Standard is the max for me.
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-17-2014, 10:31 AM)
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metal...mmer-new-song/

Here it is. YMMV, obviously.

I'm not feeling it, just my honest opinion. But YMMV of course
Last edited by Andrew Korenchkin; 03-17-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Kaladin
Banned
(03-17-2014, 11:36 AM)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metal...mmer-new-song/

Here it is. YMMV, obviously.

I'm not feeling it, just my honest opinion. But YMMV of course

Wow.....look at all the cellphones out.
Andrew Korenchkin
(03-17-2014, 11:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman

Wow.....look at all the cellphones out.

Ha ha, I didn't even notice that. I wonder who will post the clearest footage.
Kaladin
Banned
(03-17-2014, 11:39 AM)

Ha ha, I didn't even notice that. I wonder who will post the clearest footage.

I kind of dig it actually. It's a single obviously....but it's continuing along the lines of Death Magnetic a bit. I will wait till I can hear Metallica's soundboard mix to reserve full judgement.