• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

clay_ghost
Member
(01-21-2014, 01:03 PM)
clay_ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

Anyone following the Anton Casey thing? Holy shit internet vigilantes are scary, even in Singapore.

Don't ' really care, Stupid people said stupid thing and people react stupidly. She wanted attention , she got it.I am sure they won't get hurt.
spiritfox
Member
(01-21-2014, 01:22 PM)
Meh, driving is overrated. Public transport's where it's at, even if it does break down all the time. It's better to just ignore this types of people since they want the attention.
entrydenied
Member
(01-21-2014, 01:37 PM)
entrydenied's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

Anyone following the Anton Casey thing? Holy shit internet vigilantes are scary, even in Singapore.

Seems like another one of those "persecute him more because he's ang moh" cases.
Gibbo
Member
(01-21-2014, 01:45 PM)
Gibbo's Avatar
just another case of ugly foreigner brings out ugly singaporeans. As much as im for naming and shaming such idiots, the usual overeaction of singaporeans towards FTs as a result of these isolated events is downright embarassing
Kenshin001
Member
(01-30-2014, 02:59 AM)
Kenshin001's Avatar
Hi Singapore Gaf! Thinking about visiting your fine country this June for a 3 day vacation with my wife and 4 year old daughter. Any recommendations? I'm interested in food, nature and architecture. Wife will probably want to do some shopping but obviously the number one priority will be my daughter. I looked at TripAdvisor and got some ideas but thought it'd be better to get advice from the locals. Any help would be great.
Gibbo
Member
(01-30-2014, 03:31 AM)
Gibbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kenshin001

Hi Singapore Gaf! Thinking about visiting your fine country this June for a 3 day vacation with my wife and 4 year old daughter. Any recommendations? I'm interested in food, nature and architecture. Wife will probably want to do some shopping but obviously the number one priority will be my daughter. I looked at TripAdvisor and got some ideas but thought it'd be better to get advice from the locals. Any help would be great.


on my mobile now so cant really draft a proper response- but feel free to PM me. especially on the food side.

for nature, i would recommend gardens by the bay , or botanical gardens. i guess the zoo also falls within this catergory? if so buy a day pass for for the singapore zoo and the night safari. your four year old daughter will love you for it

on the architecture front, i just recommend you stroll by the marina bay area- you can probably take a couple of beautiful holiday shots there.

again, just feel free to pm me if ya need info
Kenshin001
Member
(01-30-2014, 04:08 AM)
Kenshin001's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gibbo

on my mobile now so cant really draft a proper response- but feel free to PM me. especially on the food side.

for nature, i would recommend gardens by the bay , or botanical gardens. i guess the zoo also falls within this catergory? if so buy a day pass for for the singapore zoo and the night safari. your four year old daughter will love you for it

on the architecture front, i just recommend you stroll by the marina bay area- you can probably take a couple of beautiful holiday shots there.

again, just feel free to pm me if ya need info

Thanks! Yeah, the zoo and night safari was on my list, she loves the zoos/aquariums here in Tokyo. I'll go have a look online at gardens by the bay now. I saw kind of a suspended walkway through a garden on TV that looked interesting so would be interested in impressions on that too.
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(01-30-2014, 04:17 AM)
ElyrionX's Avatar
The SEA Aquarium at Resorts World Sentosa is abaolutely fantastic. You have to visit that one.

I hear good things about the River Safari as well. It's new and located beside the zoo.
clay_ghost
Member
(02-18-2014, 02:54 PM)
clay_ghost's Avatar
Since no one cared about my thread.

Web Comic point and click adventure game that is really intriguing.

Its about a man(who does not remember who he is , and what he look like ) waking up in a unknown locked room.

Multiple path and ending too .

Don't really know how to explain the game but i really like the mood.

Its free and make in Singapore so i have to promote it lol


http://www.drearyweary.com/Forgetting/

wilflare
Member
(02-18-2014, 05:44 PM)
wilflare's Avatar
any fellow SGGAF bought their PS4?
Gibbo
Member
(02-18-2014, 05:51 PM)
Gibbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by wilflare

any fellow SGGAF bought their PS4?

Yup- bought it 3 weeks back. Is it still sold out in most places?
wilflare
Member
(02-18-2014, 06:18 PM)
wilflare's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gibbo

Yup- bought it 3 weeks back. Is it still sold out in most places?

haven't been checking local stocks... been thinking of buying from Amazon.com though
you got yours from Gamescore?
adelante
Member
(02-18-2014, 06:41 PM)
adelante's Avatar

Originally Posted by wilflare

haven't been checking local stocks... been thinking of buying from Amazon.com though
you got yours from Gamescore?

Got mine from there at launch. Havent had much time to play lately and if i do, its COD Ghosts. Add me on PSN: vanuber
Gibbo
Member
(02-18-2014, 07:12 PM)
Gibbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by wilflare

haven't been checking local stocks... been thinking of buying from Amazon.com though
you got yours from Gamescore?

Nay. Funzcentre. It's my battlefield 4 machine at the moment- until second son comes out
wilflare
Member
(02-19-2014, 12:51 AM)
wilflare's Avatar
can't decide whether to jump in or not... the prices are really rather @_@
maomaoIYP
Member
(02-19-2014, 02:33 AM)
maomaoIYP's Avatar
I'm holding out for a price drop before I get into next gen.
Qvoth
Member
(02-19-2014, 04:34 AM)
Qvoth's Avatar
what's the cheapest price you can get in sg?
650?
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(02-19-2014, 08:49 AM)
ElyrionX's Avatar
Thinking of buying it but ever since I started Dota 2, I seem to have lost all interest in other games. I have not bought a single game since GTA5 and didn't manage to put more than 10 hrs into that before losing interest.

But open-world MGS sounds too awesome to pass on......
Gibbo
Member
(02-19-2014, 09:21 AM)
Gibbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Qvoth

what's the cheapest price you can get in sg?
650?

recommended retail price is 639 i believe- which is what i bought it for. quite sad to see shops like Qishan trying to gain a quick buck from the supply shortage by jacking up their prices though.


anyway, is there really no FIFA 14 regulars in this thread?
adelante
Member
(02-19-2014, 09:30 AM)
adelante's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

Thinking of buying it but ever since I started Dota 2, I seem to have lost all interest in other games. I have not bought a single game since GTA5 and didn't manage to put more than 10 hrs into that before losing interest.

But open-world MGS sounds too awesome to pass on......

Yup, the only game I'm REALLY looking forward to at this point is Ground Zeroes.

Originally Posted by Gibbo

anyway, is there really no FIFA 14 regulars in this thread?

Ah I bought FIFA14 but have not even played it yet (my younger bro does). Used to be really into Pro Clubs/MM each year but I felt kinda burnt out on games in general lately. Looking forward to the real-next gen FIFA experience but honestly I'm more excited about what Konami has to offer with PES. I played the SHIT out of the PS3 PES2014 demo...animations there are so freakin good.
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(02-19-2014, 11:03 AM)
ElyrionX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gibbo

recommended retail price is 639 i believe- which is what i bought it for. quite sad to see shops like Qishan trying to gain a quick buck from the supply shortage by jacking up their prices though.


anyway, is there really no FIFA 14 regulars in this thread?

There is a shortage?

I played FIFA 10 all the way to 13 and got burned out trying to climb Seasons using United and facing an endless stream of Bayern, Real and City players. Furthest I got was Div 6 or 7 I think. I'm just not very good at it.

What platform are you playing it on? Is there even a full fledged next gen version yet?

Originally Posted by adelante

Yup, the only game I'm REALLY looking forward to at this point is Ground Zeroes

Yeah, the thing is I don't usually buy consoles until I see at least 2-3 games that I really want to play and PS4 does not seem to have that yet.

Infamous looks interesting but the first two games were really mediocre so I'm cautious there.

Titanfall looks interesting too but that's not on PS4, right? Plus, I am quite burned out on shooters too.
kudoboi
Member
(02-19-2014, 12:18 PM)
kudoboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by wilflare

any fellow SGGAF bought their PS4?

nope. PS4 is too overpriced as of now for me to justify buying it. i already have a good PC anyway so ill just keep using that
wakajawaka
Member
(03-26-2014, 05:19 AM)
wakajawaka's Avatar
Hello Singapore-GAF!

In a couple days I'm supposed to be getting a job offer to work in Singapore, and as long as it's half decent I'm accepting it!

So if everything goes fine I will probably have a million questions, hope you are patient with me :P. It would be awesome to get some advice, because moving to the other side of the world (Spaniard here) is kinda scary.
entrydenied
Member
(03-26-2014, 12:52 PM)
entrydenied's Avatar

Originally Posted by wakajawaka

Hello Singapore-GAF!

In a couple days I'm supposed to be getting a job offer to work in Singapore, and as long as it's half decent I'm accepting it!

So if everything goes fine I will probably have a million questions, hope you are patient with me :P. It would be awesome to get some advice, because moving to the other side of the world (Spaniard here) is kinda scary.

We'll try to be friendly and answer your questions:)

But people rarely post here so it might be good to start a new thread with your questions. Non Singaporeans who work or have worked here can also give good advice from the perspective of a foreigner based in Singapore.
wakajawaka
Member
(03-27-2014, 01:27 AM)
wakajawaka's Avatar

Originally Posted by entrydenied

We'll try to be friendly and answer your questions:)

But people rarely post here so it might be good to start a new thread with your questions. Non Singaporeans who work or have worked here can also give good advice from the perspective of a foreigner based in Singapore.

Thank you, I'll see what I do if everything goes fine finally.
Qvoth
Member
(03-27-2014, 04:59 AM)
Qvoth's Avatar
i think singapore just recently became the most expensive city on earth, so....
wakajawaka
Member
(03-29-2014, 02:20 AM)
wakajawaka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Qvoth

i think singapore just recently became the most expensive city on earth, so....

But what is so expensive? I was researching a bit and it seems food is pretty cheap indeed, I saw that alcohol is really expensive (and it hurts, I like beer ;_;) and renting a place was supposed to be ultra - expensive but it doesn't seem far from what it is in any Spanish capital.
wilflare
Member
(03-29-2014, 03:42 AM)
wilflare's Avatar

Originally Posted by wakajawaka

But what is so expensive? I was researching a bit and it seems food is pretty cheap indeed, I saw that alcohol is really expensive (and it hurts, I like beer ;_;) and renting a place was supposed to be ultra - expensive but it doesn't seem far from what it is in any Spanish capital.

you need to factor in transport costs (it's expensive to own a car... + tad Certificate of Entitlement... and public transport fares are often hiked..) + housing costs (the money you buy an apartment in Singapore can get you a nice landed estate in USA.. yes US of A)
spiritfox
Member
(03-29-2014, 03:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Qvoth

i think singapore just recently became the most expensive city on earth, so....

I think that included expat goods that is rare in Singapore, so they would need to find imports which would be more expensive.
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(03-29-2014, 04:46 AM)
ElyrionX's Avatar

Originally Posted by wilflare

you need to factor in transport costs (it's expensive to own a car... + tad Certificate of Entitlement... and public transport fares are often hiked..) + housing costs (the money you buy an apartment in Singapore can get you a nice landed estate in USA.. yes US of A)

Pretty much this though I'd say that compared to most other cities, public transport in Singapore is dirt cheap. It's the costs of owning a car as well as renting an apartment that jacks up the cost of living for most people.
kudoboi
Member
(03-29-2014, 08:39 AM)
kudoboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by wakajawaka

But what is so expensive? I was researching a bit and it seems food is pretty cheap indeed, I saw that alcohol is really expensive (and it hurts, I like beer ;_;) and renting a place was supposed to be ultra - expensive but it doesn't seem far from what it is in any Spanish capital.

cars and housing. you need at least 100K for a decent car unless you want to get a used vehicle which can still cost at least 50K.

what is worst is that it only lasts for 10 years before you need to pay for another certificate of entitlement which could be 70K to 100K

this article shows what car you can buy overseas for a toyota corolla here
http://www.moneysmart.sg/car-insuran...-in-singapore/

though i would say, a car is not really needed here since the country is small and public transport takes you almost anywhere.

housing is also pretty costly compared to other countries
wakajawaka
Member
(03-29-2014, 07:04 PM)
wakajawaka's Avatar
I see, and yeah, housing is indeed expensive too now that I'm looking closely at it.

I don't really care about having a car as long as there is good public transport. How is traffic? Google maps estimated times in bus seem a bit much: a 7km ride takes over an hour?

And what about getting a small 49cc bike? are those cheaper to have?
clay_ghost
Member
(03-30-2014, 03:27 AM)
clay_ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by wakajawaka

I see, and yeah, housing is indeed expensive too now that I'm looking closely at it.

I don't really care about having a car as long as there is good public transport. How is traffic? Google maps estimated times in bus seem a bit much: a 7km ride takes over an hour?

And what about getting a small 49cc bike? are those cheaper to have?

Traffics is bad during rush hours.
We have many bus stops with a large population , there are many buses but there are some areas where you have to wait for a few full buses until you get one that you can get on. Goggle take that waiting time into estimation.

Try gothere.sg too, they calculates differently from goggle and may find a shorter route for you. An hour is normal for a average travel.

Bike is cheaper but still expensive.
vonStirlitz
Member
(05-17-2014, 10:00 AM)
Afternoon all.

Recently joined the GAF after years of lurking, so wanted to check in with Team Singapore. Angmoh here, but Sing is home.

Fairly quiet thread. Guessing that everyone is too busy playing or out eating rather than posting?

Anyway, if you have a PS4, feel free to add me: von-Stirlitz
wilflare
Member
(05-17-2014, 10:18 AM)
wilflare's Avatar
we need more Vita lovers here
vonStirlitz
Member
(05-17-2014, 10:32 AM)
I love my Vita.

Problem is, a lot of the good games are either in Japanese or complex hanzi (it really bugs me why many games don't have a simplified Chinese version).
Gibbo
Member
(05-17-2014, 10:42 AM)
Gibbo's Avatar
Yeah this thread is pretty dead.

We should start offering recommendation for food places/cafes tho - from hawker fare to fine dining. There's been a growth of coffee joints over the past 3/4 years- which seem to have started with 40 hands. I can hardly keep up with what is worth visitng these days.
vonStirlitz
Member
(05-17-2014, 10:56 AM)
Good idea. How about:

Cafe recommendation: The Bravery, opposite the stadium on Horne Road (Lavender). Great coffee and cakes. Scrubby urban chic. Famous for having a door that no-one can find.

Pub recommendation: Crazy Elephant in Clarke Quay. First class bands on a Friday and Saturday night. The bassplayer seems to be the only smiling bassist in Singapore. Plus, probably about the only band in Singapore that don't play non-stop Journey and Daft Punk covers.
Sir Blaming
Member
(05-17-2014, 11:37 AM)
Sir Blaming's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gibbo

Yeah this thread is pretty dead..

should have placed Asia-Gaf, not a lot of people here is from singapore, plus the thread really stopped me, a malaysian, from posting. Guess it's a physiological thing
wilflare
Member
(05-17-2014, 11:42 AM)
wilflare's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir Blaming

should have placed Asia-Gaf, not a lot of people here is from singapore, plus the thread really stopped me, a malaysian, from posting. Guess it's a physiological thing

MalaysiaGAF is definitely welcomed here!
come on, the history of our countries go wayy back! :D
Gibbo
Member
(05-17-2014, 12:27 PM)
Gibbo's Avatar
I second bringing Malaysia-GAF into the mix. How do we change the topic?
kudoboi
Member
(05-17-2014, 12:30 PM)
kudoboi's Avatar
personally i don't really post here because there is nothing much to talk about...

how about south east asia gaf instead (SEA-GAF)?
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(05-17-2014, 06:30 PM)
ElyrionX's Avatar
Well, I wanted to put ASEAN-GAF at first but then I thought Singapore-GAF might be more appropriate since we're probably going to be talking about local stuff and Malaysians/Indonesians might not be too involved and vice versa.
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(05-17-2014, 06:31 PM)
ElyrionX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gibbo

Yeah this thread is pretty dead.

We should start offering recommendation for food places/cafes tho - from hawker fare to fine dining. There's been a growth of coffee joints over the past 3/4 years- which seem to have started with 40 hands. I can hardly keep up with what is worth visitng these days.

Yahava Koffeworks in Upper Thomson is pretty good. Good coffee and chill laid back ambience. Closes at 6pm though.
wilflare
Member
(05-17-2014, 07:10 PM)
wilflare's Avatar
can't decide whether to get a PS4 now though
that FIFA14 Bundle is pretty nice
Gibbo
Member
(05-18-2014, 06:08 AM)
Gibbo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

Yahava Koffeworks in Upper Thomson is pretty good. Good coffee and chill laid back ambience. Closes at 6pm though.

Ah I'll have to try this. Oddly enough I've never seen this although I live in Thomson Hills - about 5 minutes walk away from the place.
spiritfox
Member
(05-18-2014, 06:09 AM)
SEA GAF would be good, since I don't think there's enough Singaporeans to keep this alive anyway.
Psykotik
Member
(05-18-2014, 07:07 AM)
Psykotik's Avatar
any places that still sells retro games and consoles? PS2 and below.
IncandescentPrecept
Banned
(05-18-2014, 07:10 AM)
Went there last month for holidays.It's not bad for shopping but I don't think I would like living there.
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(05-18-2014, 06:29 PM)
ElyrionX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gibbo

Ah I'll have to try this. Oddly enough I've never seen this although I live in Thomson Hills - about 5 minutes walk away from the place.

Lol dude what. I live in Thomson Hills too.

Thread Tools