• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(07-16-2013, 03:40 PM)
ElyrionX's Avatar


Alright boys and girls, we've been talking about this in some of the last few Singapore-related threads to pop up in the OT and I thought no time is better than now to create a SingaporeGAF thread. I know there are lots of Singaporeans in GAF so do come in and hang a little.

Anyway, I was really surprised to read about the SSF4 tournament at Evo being won by a Singaporean. I don't follow the FGC much and it's a pity I didn't realize a Singaporean was competing in the grand finals until I read about in the Straits Times today or else I would have livestreamed it. What an amazing feat. Truly, this guy deserves more support and recognition from the locals.
Naar
Member
(07-17-2013, 09:58 AM)
Xian is an awesome player and really improved in the last year. I am just happy that some of the seeding points of his came to Kuwait and they did not go to waste as almost all the Kuwaitis who wanted to go to EVO or got seeding to go to EVO got denied visas :(

Also a director friend of mine said that the most fun he had working on a movie/video was in Singapore
Qvoth
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:01 AM)
Qvoth's Avatar
did xian ever play in bugis arcade?
maybe i'm not into the fgc there enough, but when sf4 came out i don't think i've ever seen him there

that was when i was still studying in sg though
Boom Boom Pow
Banned
(07-17-2013, 10:12 AM)
mst porn website is blocked here. except fapdu
FlutterPuffs
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:15 AM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Pow

mst porn website is blocked here. except fapdu

Malaysian here. Changing your DNS to a google DNS (8.8.8.8) should make it work.

http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-...-web-browsing/
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(07-17-2013, 10:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Qvoth

did xian ever play in bugis arcade?
maybe i'm not into the fgc there enough, but when sf4 came out i don't think i've ever seen him there

that was when i was still studying in sg though

If you train 8 hours a day, can you really do so in an arcade? I'd imagine you have to play against other members of his team (professionals) rather than against nobodies in the arcade.

And he is the champion with Gen. Dammit, nobody expected that.
silvon
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:17 AM)
silvon's Avatar
Lived in SG for almost a decade, miss the food!
Moz La Punk
Hallo ich bin Karl.
Ich fixe deine Kabel.
(07-17-2013, 10:18 AM)
Moz La Punk's Avatar
My girlfriend's dad lives in Singapore and if things keep up this way I hope to visit the city sometime! I hope so anyway.
siddhu33
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:29 AM)
siddhu33's Avatar
Visited around 2007. The place has massively changed since then. Remember the food and shopping being good.

Surprised this thread didnt come up sooner la.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:32 AM)
ambientmystic's Avatar
Lol, why just a SingaporeGAF? Why not make it ASEAN-GAF?

Malaysia and Indonesia GAF need representation too lol.

Anyway, you lot have a great country. Still couldn't believe you could fit a proper F1 track in your tiny island state lol.
industrian
will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
(07-17-2013, 10:38 AM)
industrian's Avatar
I'm Scottish, live in Taiwan, and I've always wanted to visit Singapore. Hell, I even thought about moving to Singapore as well.

Maybe a visit is in order next year.
The_Endless
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:42 AM)
The_Endless's Avatar
Malaysian based in Singapore here.... does that count? :P
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(07-17-2013, 10:43 AM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar
Singaporean turned australian here.

Last time I went back it changed so much. :(
Chrono Helix
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:45 AM)
Chrono Helix's Avatar
I'm finding it ironic that most of the posts in this thread so far don't actually seem to be from Singaporeans. Or maybe it's not actually ironic, considering the rising proportion of foreigners in the country.
clay_ghost
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:49 AM)
clay_ghost's Avatar
Born and breed Singaporean here ��
Chromax
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:56 AM)
Chromax's Avatar
I go there from time to time to see a friend.

MBS is an amazing hotel.
Defuser
Member
(07-17-2013, 10:58 AM)
Defuser's Avatar
Its about damn time Singapore won something that wasn't represented by a foreign talent. :p
Last edited by Defuser; 07-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.
maomaoIYP
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:03 AM)
maomaoIYP's Avatar
We've got a couple of Singaporeans here....most of us are in hiding though.
SpyGuy239
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:06 AM)
SpyGuy239's Avatar
these are not the droids you are looking for ;)
pyros
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:15 AM)
pyros's Avatar
I watched the livestream, great matches all around, proud to have one of our own on top
Finaika
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:16 AM)
Finaika's Avatar
I think one of the mods is a Singaporean.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:19 AM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Finaika

I think one of the mods is a Singaporean.

Indeed.
Kadey
Mrs. Harvey
(07-17-2013, 11:25 AM)
Kadey's Avatar
Fun fact. Xian started using Gen during the latest iteration of the game. A lot of the combos and know how of Gen was actually created by a Gaffer, the most renown Gen player of the game's earlier times, Yeb. I think he still posts here but he doesn't really play the game anymore ever since he went to the Air Force. He does however root for his fellow Gen players whenever he can.
Roland Deschain
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:26 AM)
Roland Deschain's Avatar
Visited there last year. Had a great time. Nice architecture. Went to Universal Studios. So fucking hot and humid though.
Saya
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:29 AM)
Saya's Avatar

Originally Posted by ambientmystic

Lol, why just a SingaporeGAF? Why not make it ASEAN-GAF?

Malaysia and Indonesia GAF need representation too lol.

Anyway, you lot have a great country. Still couldn't believe you could fit a proper F1 track in your tiny island state lol.

Yes, yes Southeast Asia GAF.

I'm living in Jakarta, Indonesia at the moment.

I love going to Singapore every once in a while. Very convenient city with such great food, I love cheese prata and all the other indian food there.
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(07-17-2013, 11:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Saya

Yes, yes Southeast Asia GAF.

I'm living in Jakarta, Indonesia at the moment.

I love going to Singapore every once in a while. Very convenient city with such great food, I love cheese prata and all the other indian food there.

I have prata every week. I agree it is awesome.
clay_ghost
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:42 AM)
clay_ghost's Avatar
This thread won't last a week with so little participants.




PROVE ME WRONG!
Gibbo
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:43 AM)
Gibbo's Avatar
reporting in yo. there were a couple of fellow singaporeans in my Haze and Gordon Ramsey vs SG threads. time to come out of the woodwork gents!
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(07-17-2013, 11:47 AM)

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

This thread won't last a week with so little participants.




PROVE ME WRONG!

Every thread dies at some point. I have seen worse.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 11:48 AM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

This thread won't last a week with so little participants.

Exactly the reason why the scope of the thread should be broadened to include other segments of SE-Asian GAF.

A lot more participants that way, the thread stays active.

At least before it's inevitably moved to the Community section lol.
industrian
will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
(07-17-2013, 11:57 AM)
industrian's Avatar

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

This thread won't last a week with so little participants.

If it lasts longer than the Taiwan thread, then Singapore wins a medal.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(07-17-2013, 11:58 AM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by echothreealpha

Malaysian here. Changing your DNS to a google DNS (8.8.8.8) should make it work.

http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-...-web-browsing/

no way dude you're malaiyan? sweet.

Can us malaysians colonise these threads too or are you guys gonna insist you're a separate thread? D:

you'll have to drink newwater if it's the latter
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:00 PM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

you'll have to drink newwater if it's the latter

Ewwww..... even though I know exactly what's done to it, I still wouldn't imbibe, unless I had no other alternatives.
kudoboi
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:02 PM)
kudoboi's Avatar
another singaporean reporting in
FlutterPuffs
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:14 PM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

no way dude you're malaiyan? sweet.

Can us malaysians colonise these threads too or are you guys gonna insist you're a separate thread? D:

you'll have to drink newwater if it's the latter

*high fives Jintor*

Why not just make this SEAgaf. That way our Indonesian, Phillipines, Thailand bros can join the fun.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:16 PM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by echothreealpha

*high fives Jintor*

Why not just make this SEAgaf. That way our Indonesian, Phillipines, Thailand bros can join the fun.

+1

Although I think there's already a PinoyGAF thread for the Filipinos.

Yep. There is one.
Last edited by ambientmystic; 07-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
adelante
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:36 PM)
adelante's Avatar
Haha nice it took a local Evo player turned champion for this thread to finally show up.. Fellow Singaporean here :)
spiritfox
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:38 PM)
spiritfox's Avatar
I live in Singapore.

Originally Posted by ambientmystic

Ewwww..... even though I know exactly what's done to it, I still wouldn't imbibe, unless I had no other alternatives.

Well if you ever drink tap water here, you've already drank it.
clay_ghost
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:49 PM)
clay_ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by spiritfox

I live in Singapore.



Well if you ever drink tap water here, you've already drank it.

Or food prepared here.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 12:54 PM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by spiritfox

Well if you ever drink tap water here, you've already drank it.

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

Or food prepared here.

Heh, I doubt it, since the last time I visited was before the Government led initiative begun, over 11 years ago.

First plants were commisioned in 2002.

Love your mass rail transit system, still remember some of the station's names, like Novena, Jurong East etc.

Oh, and that fabulous looking Takashimaya building. I wonder if it's still around?

:D
Last edited by ambientmystic; 07-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Pop On Arrival
Member
(07-17-2013, 01:01 PM)
Pop On Arrival's Avatar
xian stayed at my crib for a couple of days when he visited the philippines. he was still new with Gen and I honestly would not have predicted that he would eventually go on to win EVO based on how good he was when he was here. Fucking amazing how much better he has gotten.
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(07-17-2013, 01:25 PM)

Originally Posted by ambientmystic

Heh, I doubt it, since the last time I visited was before the Government led initiative begun, over 11 years ago.

First plants were commisioned in 2002.

Love your mass rail transit system, still remember some of the station's names, like Novena, Jurong East etc.

Oh, and that fabulous looking Takashimaya building. I wonder if it's still around? Yeah it is still around.

:D

Takashimaya looks famulous? That's the first time I've heard anybody say that.
clay_ghost
Member
(07-17-2013, 01:33 PM)
clay_ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by bobbytkc

Takashimaya looks famulous? That's the first time I've heard anybody say that.

11 years ago man.

Imagine the shock he will have when he come now LOL
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(07-17-2013, 01:37 PM)

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

11 years ago man.

Imagine the shock he will have when he come now LOL

Takashimaya is still a good place though. I like the food court and kinokuniya. Especially so after borders went bankrupt. It has the only large bookstore in the Orchard Road stretch I think.
Sp3eD
Member
(07-17-2013, 01:39 PM)
I went to Singapore for a 2 week vacation summeR of 2001. My dad was doing work over there for a few months so we got all sorts of stuff paid by his employer (apartment, food, some entertainment, ect)

I'll never forget places like suntec mall and orchard street as being from a smallish city those things were amazing to me at the time. Indoor snow slopes and the Singapore zoo were also pretty sweet. To this day I consider this my favorite vacation ever.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 01:49 PM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

11 years ago man.

Imagine the shock he will have when he come now LOL

Yikes. It's hard to imagine that such a landmark would be neglected.

Originally Posted by bobbytkc

Takashimaya is still a good place though. I like the food court and kinokuniya. Especially so after borders went bankrupt. It has the only large bookstore in the Orchard Road stretch I think.

Ah, the memories.

Is it still predominantly a pedestrian only street with big sidewalks?
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(07-17-2013, 01:52 PM)

Originally Posted by ambientmystic


Ah, the memories.

Is it still predominantly a pedestrian only street with big sidewalks?

Yea, but in that time they added some decorative installations on the sidewalks, and a lot of the malls now have a brand spanking new facade (Takashimaya is not one of them, it looks the same as it always had).
maomaoIYP
Member
(07-17-2013, 02:14 PM)
maomaoIYP's Avatar

Originally Posted by ambientmystic

Yikes. It's hard to imagine that such a landmark would be neglected.



Ah, the memories.

Is it still predominantly a pedestrian only street with big sidewalks?

It's not neglected, it's still a great place, I visit it every sunday. Just that there have been a lot more newer and shiner places since Takashimaya came about.
ambientmystic
Member
(07-17-2013, 02:20 PM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by bobbytkc

Yea, but in that time they added some decorative installations on the sidewalks, and a lot of the malls now have a brand spanking new facade (Takashimaya is not one of them, it looks the same as it always had).

Originally Posted by maomaoIYP

It's not neglected, it's still a great place, I visit it every sunday. Just that there have been a lot more newer and shiner places since Takashimaya came about.

Ah, understood.

Would like to revisit the country one day.
ElyrionX
a melancholic piano
a sea-blown wind
(07-17-2013, 02:21 PM)
ElyrionX's Avatar
Whoa. When I created this thread yesterday there were zero replies. I thought it was dead in the water and I would have to do some "promoting" around GAF. Lol. Good stuff guys. I'm sure we can get enough Singaporeans to come out of the woodwork to hang in here.

I just found out that a friend of mine actually knows Xian personally because they used to work at the same local gaming cafe or something. Haha. It's really a small country.

Thread Tools