• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(04-03-2013, 03:16 AM)

DreadOut Demo Teaser Trailer

So this game has been in development for about two years now, and has been being shown off more to the public in the last half of a year. I caught wind of it last December, when it was posted on Steam Greenlight.

To copy the official description:
"When a group of high school students stray from their vacation trip, they discover an old deserted town. They begin to realize that something sinister is happening as soon as they enter the town. Linda, as the main protagonist, feels the stirrings of a strange and mystical power within herself. This spiritual power just might be the only way to save herself and her friends from an unknown evil.

Linda has lots of modern gadgets at her disposal including smartphones, digital cameras, and digital video cameras. With these instruments she can interact with and capture the various kinds of unique South East Asian Ghosts that you will have never seen before, and also solve the many varied puzzles of the deserted town.
"

However, two things prompted me to make a topic about it now. Firstly, there is now a public demo released for anyone to try out the game with. I must say, it is a lot more polished and well executed than I was expecting when I originally heard about the game. The demo isn't very long, lasting somewhere between 10-35 minutes, but you can check it out and download it from here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/dreadout/downloads

The other is that the game has turned to crowdfunding to help fire more people onto the project and speed-up development, as well as deliver more content into the final game. Their monetary goal is $25,000 via IndieGoGo, which unfortunately has barely been touched thus far due in large to lack of attention to the project currently.

Their IndieGoGo Crowdfunding Project ($25,000 Goal)

It's been a long time since I've seen a horror game like this being made for the West, and the first indie third-person horror game with some real substance in some time. I'm hoping this game gets more attention than it currently has, and is able to make its crowdfunding goals... That, and the demo is worth checking out for anyone interested in the horror genre, especially those who like(d) Fatal Frame. Their official website is here.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 04-03-2013 at 03:20 AM.
AlphaProspector
(04-03-2013, 06:32 PM)
Played the hell out of the demo during the weekend and loved it. It's essentially the Fatal Frame for PC I always dreamed of but of course never came to happen.

Hope it gets enough funding to speed up the release. Looking great so far!
Tummi Gummi
(04-03-2013, 06:33 PM)
Lost me at high school students, sorry.
Spazznid
(04-03-2013, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Tummi Gummi

Must suck to be you.
hampig
(04-03-2013, 06:36 PM)

Why? There are tons of horror classics about teens/early 20 somethings. It can still be a great product.
Warren Ellis
Banned
(04-03-2013, 06:38 PM)

same. but i will play the demo anyway.
sub_o
(04-03-2013, 06:39 PM)
Great ! As a fellow indonesian, I must say that I'm gonna support it. Not for the sake of playing the game, but more of promoting that creative endeavours like this in Indonesia.

Edit: to be honest, the setting / school looks like my high school in countryside, dark and dirty.
Last edited by sub_o; 04-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.
li bur
(04-03-2013, 06:41 PM)
I'm an Indonesian, and this is the first time I heard of this.

I can tell for sure, our ghost lore are truly scary.

Will definitely support. Hopefully, this game live up to my expectation.
Tummi Gummi
(04-03-2013, 06:41 PM)

Originally Posted by hampig

Why? There are tons of horror classics about teens/early 20 somethings. It can still be a great product.

I hate high-school-students/teens. I know that's what a lot of horror caters to but I don't like them as characters :(

Gimme more 40-yr-old alcoholics and such.
li bur
(04-03-2013, 06:45 PM)

I hate high-school-students/teens. I know that's what a lot of horror caters to but I don't like them as characters :(

Unfortunately, alcohol doesn't really sit well with our culture. But I'd agree with the 40 y.o main character part. Would be more interesting for sure.
Endesu
(04-03-2013, 06:47 PM)

White Day focused on teens in high school as well and was still a fantastic title.

Haven't even tried the demo yet but I'm already interested in this based upon the premise alone. The more horror games out there, the better!
Dascu
(04-03-2013, 06:49 PM)
Sounds neat. Will probably give a try soon.
Green Card
(04-03-2013, 06:55 PM)

Same but I like horror games so I will try out the demo.
Tummi Gummi
(04-03-2013, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by li bur

Unfortunately, alcohol doesn't really sit well with our culture. But I'd agree with the 40 y.o main character part. Would be more interesting for sure.

I just meant something different in general, not washed-up old bums specifically :)
AlphaProspector
(04-03-2013, 07:03 PM)

I just meant something different in general, not washed-up old bums specifically :)

Something like a James Sunderland, a Harry Mason or a Henry Townsend? ;)
Dusk Golem
(04-03-2013, 07:06 PM)
I'm surprised so many people are upset at the mention of high school students. All of the Fatal Frame games, outside of Fatal Frame 3, had high school protagonist. Fatal Frame IV especially notable as most of the main characters were a group of friends who get caught-up in something terrible.

Anyways, what I think is more important than who it stars is how it is executed, which based off the demo, I would argue is that its executed very well so far.
AlphaProspector
(04-03-2013, 07:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

I'm surprised so many people are upset at the mention of high school students. All of the Fatal Frame games, outside of Fatal Frame 3, had high school protagonist. Fatal Frame IV especially notable as most of the main characters were a group of friends who get caught-up in something terrible.

Anyways, what I think is more important than who it stars is how it is executed, which based off the demo, I would argue is that its executed very well so far.

This. I really don't mind much the high school stuff because Fatal Frame itself had the twins, Miku and such!

Now, I'm loving the indonesian lore poured into the game. Very cool stuff there.

Spotted a bug (or my be my PC) but all the pictures I take with the camera look terrible and without effects when I browse them on the game folder.

Oh, and there is a small insect that drove me mad until I figured out you can kill it with the camera, heh.
Dusk Golem
(04-03-2013, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by AlphaProspector

This. I really don't mind much the high school stuff because Fatal Frame itself had the twins, Miku and such!

Now, I'm loving the indonesian lore poured into the game. Very cool stuff there.

Spotted a bug (or my be my PC) but all the pictures I take with the camera look terrible and without effects when I browse them on the game folder.

Oh, and there is a small insect that drove me mad until I figured out you can kill it with the camera, heh.

The cockroach didn't make me mad but it did startle me the first time as I had my camera pulled out and it darted directly in front of it, so I sort of naturally took a picture and it burned away.

What scared me the most was probably my second time I played the demo, I didn't realize the first time if you backtrack where you've been after the 'candle' scene...
li bur
(04-03-2013, 07:19 PM)

While I'm totally agree with your point, more mature protagonist might provide deeper backstory to the character.

I'm not saying that they won't be able to pull a great backstory with teenage protagonist, but there are many things that they can develop by having a more mature protagonist.
Messofanego
(04-03-2013, 07:26 PM)
I couldn't even make it very far into your own video playthrough after seeing the ghost in the phone.

Goddamnit.
Dusk Golem
(04-03-2013, 07:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

I couldn't even make it very far into your own video playthrough after seeing the ghost in the phone.

Goddamnit.

That actually got me a bit the first time as well. That video was done after and I'm not too happy with how it came out as my audio was a lot boomier than I realized, but as some enemies can only be seen through the camera lense, you won't see it unless you pull your camera out or hear it when it starts coming after you. The fun part about that ghost is that you can spot it before it even tries to attack you, but if you don't it'll start stalking you when you move forward, and you'll hear a strange noise getting louder and louder until you turn around and pull out your phone and see that there's a ghost stalking you right on your tail. Its efficient.

And outside of the game's mechanics and graphics being better than I expected from early videos, I think that's part of the reason I'm partially in love with the game right now is because most of the scares are pretty well done. They aren't startle scares, and most are foreshadowed well, or happen because you're being an idiot. In that same video, there's a moment where the big-eyed ghost disappears and you can hear her laughing from far away. I didn't do this the first time I played, but backtracking will make the laughing get louder and louder, until eventually you stumble onto her behind a door and she starts chasing you. She won't stop until you get the key out of there and escape, which put me into panic mode, though she wouldn't of been stalking me if I hadn't been an idiot and followed the crazed laughter.
Messofanego
(04-03-2013, 11:23 PM)
Why did I just play this without friends to back me up? I'm sweating all over! At least I finished the demo. Even when I knew the first phone scare, still had a visceral reaction. Goddamnit. God Fucking Damnit. I'm not desensitised to horror games like you, Dusk Golem! I've never even played a Fatal Frame, just watched others.

I saw the swings at the start, and didn't take out my camera, so the ghost pops out and scares the shit out of me and then I went into limbo. Is there any way to kill this main ghost, like following her laughing and taking the photos? What are the fail states or are the blackouts scripted?

I got this black cat following me, go into a room, room closes GOD DAMN IT girl facing wall now is all up my grill with her long face!

The main girl is cute with those sneakers.

And the limbo place is pretty.

Did you notice the cat follows you in limbo?
Black Door
(04-03-2013, 11:35 PM)

Going from one over-saturated demographic to another.

The fact that the game is set in Indonesia alone gives it the potential to be a very creative title (maybe, hopefully)
gabbo
(04-03-2013, 11:37 PM)
Just read the RPS article on it. Will check out the demo shortly.
Teppic
(04-08-2013, 12:25 AM)
This looks pretty great. Watched the playthrough of it. Looked more interesting than Fatal Frame. Maybe not the battle mechanics, but the way scares were executed.

What I don't like, like with most horror games/movies, is that the things happening don't make sense. Everything is weird and nothing is real.
gabbo
(04-08-2013, 01:53 AM)
Fought with the controls a bit, as I don't play well with games that default 'a' and 'd' to turning, as opposed to strafing. The textures do tend to look rather low res as well.

Still, enjoyed it (graveyard tension++ & heaven(?)) and will be grabbing the full version if not through indiegogo, when it drops.
I should be doing hw
(04-13-2013, 05:16 PM)
Setting seems refreshing and their sound design is pretty solid but the gameplay from the teaser unfortunately looks just as boring as Fatal Frame 4's was.
Also not actually scary...
UrbanRats
(04-13-2013, 05:19 PM)
As i said in the other thread, the setting alone is so damn refreshing that i have to support this thing.
Later today i'll download the demo and give it a shot.
gabbo
(04-13-2013, 05:33 PM)

Originally Posted by UrbanRats

As i said in the other thread, the setting alone is so damn refreshing that i have to support this thing.
Later today i'll download the demo and give it a shot.

Definitely worth it.
Neiteio
(04-13-2013, 05:53 PM)
This looks excellent.
UrbanRats
(04-13-2013, 05:56 PM)

Originally Posted by gabbo

Definitely worth it.

I'd back it up right now, but i'll try the demo first, in case there's some glaring experience breaking feature i haven't thought of... just to be sure.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(04-13-2013, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by li bur

I'm an Indonesian, and this is the first time I heard of this.

I can tell for sure, our ghost lore are truly scary.

Will definitely support. Hopefully, this game live up to my expectation.

I'd love some more information about Indonesian ghost/spirit folk lore if you could provide any?

I may try the demo again. My first time I enjoyed it and was impressed to an extent but it didn't hit the same chords as the fatal frame games. I love the "world building" in fatal frame games. The atmosphere is also unique. But for an indie team this is a bunch of steps in the right direction. It's also great it's for PC.
gabbo
(04-13-2013, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by UrbanRats

I'd back it up right now, but i'll try the demo first, in case there's some glaring experience breaking feature i haven't thought of... just to be sure.

Oh, I meant the demo, not backing it. :)
Dusk Golem
(04-14-2013, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by INDIGO_CYCLOPS

I'd love some more information about Indonesian ghost/spirit folk lore if you could provide any?

I may try the demo again. My first time I enjoyed it and was impressed to an extent but it didn't hit the same chords as the fatal frame games. I love the "world building" in fatal frame games. The atmosphere is also unique. But for an indie team this is a bunch of steps in the right direction. It's also great it's for PC.

The developers have actually been sharing some ghost stories from the region for monsters that appear in the game on their Facebook page.

They release one of these every once in a while.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 04-14-2013 at 12:23 AM.
~Kinggi~
Banned
(04-14-2013, 12:10 AM)
Hmmm, Survival Horror kickstarters i could get down with that.
Dantis
(04-14-2013, 12:12 AM)
That actually looks really excellent. Will keep an eye on this.
dokish
(04-14-2013, 12:14 AM)

Sold me at high school students, thanks.

Fixed.
UrbanRats
(04-14-2013, 05:54 PM)
Tried the demo.
Definitely a decent game, if a bit bare bones in the mechanics.

Unfortunately the horror side of it doesn't resonate as well as a Silent Hill, with me, also the demo was too short for a sense of dread to really set in, i feel (jump scares to little or nothing, for me).

Still, pretty good and as i said the setting intrigues me enough for me to back it up.
Lime
(04-14-2013, 06:25 PM)
Came back to this thread after UrbanRats recommended I checked it out. I must say, the image in the OP doesn't help matters, as the tone of the image isn't particularly consistent with the actual game. I mean, all these high school characters looking happy and joyous just seem weird to me, especially when the image doesn't have any effects or textural elements that make it appear more horror-like.

The video looked very good and I might check out the demo. I'll definitely back the project towards the end of the campaign.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS
(04-14-2013, 06:58 PM)

The developers have actually been sharing some ghost stories from the region for monsters that appear in the game on their Facebook page.

Very cool, thanks for linking.
UrbanRats
(04-14-2013, 07:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Lime

Came back to this thread after UrbanRats recommended I checked it out. I must say, the image in the OP doesn't help matters, as the tone of the image isn't particularly consistent with the actual game. I mean, all these high school characters looking happy and joyous just seem weird to me, especially when the image doesn't have any effects or textural elements that make it appear more horror-like.

The video looked very good and I might check out the demo. I'll definitely back the project towards the end of the campaign.

The demo itself it a bit too much on the simple side (you point and "shoot", basically the whole time) and i'm afraid some of the focus was to cater to the "reaction cam" group of YouTubers, which i generally hate.
Even still, i think it may be worth the 15$.

I hope in the final game they'll let us use the Indonesian dub with the english subtitles/text, btw.
Last edited by UrbanRats; 04-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Mildudon
(05-12-2013, 02:30 PM)
Just wanted to share the 3 dev videos the team has released.

DreadoutDev Diary 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHxGU881c64

DreadoutDev Diary 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPBAwNCa2Q

DreadoutDev Diary 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx8YTyZmNeY
Gbraga
(05-12-2013, 02:45 PM)

"Various sources claimed they have sighted Kuntilanak in ladies room licking blood from used tampon"

wat
Lime
(05-12-2013, 03:27 PM)
"that was sadly raped by some local landlords and got pregnant"
gabbo
(05-12-2013, 04:11 PM)
One week and they need just under $11K to make their goal.
Herbspiceguy
(05-12-2013, 04:19 PM)
I recognize Palasik from the movie "Mystics in Bali". An old, trippy horror movie.
James Nintendo Nerd/AVGN did a review on it.
Messofanego
(05-12-2013, 04:27 PM)
That 3rd developer diary was brilliant, can't wait to crap my pants.

I'm really surprised how little money this is getting. It's been downloaded loads, got the pimping from youtubers and even Giant Bomb.
Zeouterlimits
(05-12-2013, 04:29 PM)
Oh, wow, had never heard of this, needs more coverage.

That $150 tier is very tempting...

Originally Posted by Messofanego

I'm really surprised how little money this is getting. It's been downloaded loads, got the pimping from youtubers and even Giant Bomb.

Really? I missed the Giantbomb coverage.. Was it just in a Patrick subscriber video or something?
clay_ghost
(05-12-2013, 04:32 PM)
Always want someone to make a horror game set in other parts of Asia. :D Hit close to the home.
Nemesis_
(05-12-2013, 04:35 PM)
Definitely gonna sling some money towards this in the near future :3