• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(01-30-2013, 11:56 PM)
From their investor q and a.

Thanks to iMax. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...1&postcount=54

To avoid any confusion, I've just re-transcribed the Wii U quote from a recording of the investor call. Here it is in full:

Originally Posted by Electronic Arts:
Q: I know Nintendo came out today and was a little bit more cautious with their outlook for Wii U sales, doesn't sound like this is a platform you guys are really pursuing aggressively on. What does this really say about the consumers' willingness to adopt the next-gen consoles — we should have something new from Sony and Microsoft, so what does that say with Nintendo going through the early struggles on the Wii U?

A: So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.

To be clear on the Gen4 thing:

Originally Posted by Nirolak:
DICE defines generations based on when 3D came into being on consoles and EA followed.

Last edited by CrunchinJelly; 01-31-2013 at 12:55 AM.
JordanLMiller
(01-30-2013, 11:57 PM)
Unprecedented
Echoenigma
It's great that EA isn't in charge of the dictionary then. Next Gen has begun.
Lord-Audie
Dat EA resentment is stronk.
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
(01-30-2013, 11:58 PM)
Is there any audio of this?
dark_prinny
The Force is strong on this guys.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
EA & Nintendo...an amazing partnership indeed.
Like the hat?
Gen 4?
hatchx
(01-30-2013, 11:59 PM)
A little more doom with your coffee?
Sandfox
So according to EA gaming started with the PS1 despite them having a presence prior to that.
TheWesker

Originally Posted by Gahiggidy

Is there any audio of this?

Yes, and it was Ricitiello that said it.
Spieler Eins
what, gen 4 happened a long time ago...?
H_Prestige
Banned

Originally Posted by Echoenigma

lol
ZealousD
Dafuq are they talking about? Gen 4? What are the other 3?
Hero of Legend
Weird, they mention the PS4/720 as the OTHER next-gen consoles, so that alone gives me the opposite understanding, so maybe them saying the gen hasn't come yet means they're waiting until after all have arrived?
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(01-31-2013, 12:00 AM)
Ok, now bring on the 5 month late ports :P
Juan29.zapata
So, they're saying Wii U is not next-gen?

People will be pissed.
antonz
Would be neat for the gaming press to grow a pair of testicles and actually ask EA about why their relationship with Nintendo went so cold so rapidly.
params7
At least John Rici started good..the caller slammed WiiU basically but John sweetened it with 'Never count Nintendo out' etc. But yeah, WiiU won't be getting the focus from EA.
genjiZERO
There's been more than 4 generations
Sobriquet

Originally Posted by Sandfox

So according to EA gaming started with the PS1 despite them having a presence prior to that.

I used to love EA games on the Commodore 64.
wrowa
The complete lack of 3rd party interest is Nintendo's biggest problem. Wii U will have an ever harder time than the Wii in that regard.
RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
What do they mean by Gen 4? I've heard them use that term a few times before and I don't get it. 4th 3D gen, maybe?
serplux
Gen IV? The PS1, N64 and Saturn were 1st gen consoles?
Carl
That 3rd party support.
Cosmonaut X
What the hell happened between EA and Nintendo? Surely there must be someone out there gossiping about it - no journos interested in trying to crack this one open?
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Originally Posted by TheWesker

Yes, and it was Ricitiello that said it.

Is this copyrighted? I mean, could it be made into a commercial without EA's consent?
Tobor
Look!
A crack addict with a tag!
(01-31-2013, 12:01 AM)
"Gen 4" is most likely their internal name for next gen projects. PC/Orbis/Durango.
Lord-Audie

Originally Posted by ZealousD

Dafuq are they talking about? Gen 4? What are the other 3?

Doesn't have to make sense. I think we know what they mean.

Originally Posted by Cosmonaut X

What the hell happened between EA and Nintendo? Surely there must be someone out there gossiping about it - no journos interested in trying to crack this one open?

Is there any truth to the Nintendo + Origin negotiations goin sour?
Drencrom

Originally Posted by Echoenigma

Next gen doesn't start until Sony EA say so
Echoenigma

Originally Posted by H_Prestige

lol

...Do I really have to pull up the dictionary definition of generation? Really?
TheWesker

Originally Posted by antonz

Would be neat for the gaming press to grow a pair of testicles and actually ask EA about why their relationship with Nintendo went so cold so rapidly.

"We have a strong relationship with Nintendo." Is that really what you want to hear? Because that's all they'd say.
Skyzard

We see no correlation between Wii U sales and what we expect from other next-gen consoles, can't talk a lot about that though.

That's pretty telling. I still expect them to pump out some ports to the Wii U not too long from now.
Kandinsky
Quite sad that they're already excited and invested in 720/PS4 compared to the console that's already out, but you only have Nintendo to blame here, they're making the same damn mistakes they did with the Wii*.

*regarding third party support obsly.
DaSorcerer7

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

Weird, they mention the PS4/720 as the OTHER next-gen consoles, so that alone gives me the opposite understanding, so maybe them saying the gen hasn't come yet means they're waiting until after all have arrived?

That's what it reads like to me.
dkeane

That would involve them getting off their lazy asses. In stead they'll just make more Nintendo is doomed articles. Why not ask EA about how they were on stage with Nintendo last E3. It's strange stuff.
herod
Do EA really think console gaming started with PlayStation?

For me that's when it died, lol.
RamzaIsCool
The Amiga Brotherhood

Originally Posted by Like the hat?

Gen 4?

- PSX/ N64/ Saturn (Gen 1)
- PS2/ Xbox/ Gamecube / Dreamcast/ Wii (Gen 2)
- PS3/ Xbox360/ WiiU (Gen 3)
- Orbis/ Durango/ Steambox (Gen 4)
Amir0x
demodded, not denutted
Before the craziness and accusations begin, I am pretty sure the way they're describing gens is different from the traditional definition of 'whatever the newest iteration of a console' is.

I think he means the distinction as the differences in a generation where you have to build new engines and such... with Wii U, you can pretty much port your PS30 engines with modifications and be done with it. To get the most out of Orbis/Durango, you're going to have to build from scratch.

For a game company, the distinction would be very real and a total different ballpark in terms of investment.
‹bermatik
(01-31-2013, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by JordanLMiller

Unprecedented

Metroid In A Glass Tube
Banned
So I won't expect NHL/NFL roster updates each year with 1 or 2 amazing new improvements like "physics engine" or "stick control"

I'm not going to see Dead Space 4 , 5 and 6?

Woe is me.
qko
ME JUST DERPIN
THRU LIFE LOL
Gen 1-3 were when arcade-style home consoles dominated the landscape. EA was never a fan of those times being a PC company. I never figured they hated those times so much that they pretended it never existed.
antonz

Originally Posted by TheWesker

"We have a strong relationship with Nintendo." Is that really what you want to hear? Because that's all they'd say.

And any journalist worth their salt would continue to press and not be a lacky though I digress. Gaming Journalism is more about getting freebies than being a journalist
BorkBork
The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
E3 2011

HAHAHAHHAHAHAA
oneida
Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
NES/MS
SNES/Gen/T-16
Sat/PS/N64
(DC?)/PS2/XB/GC
Wii/360/PS3
(WiiU?)/PS4/720
massoluk
(01-31-2013, 12:03 AM)
Gen 4? Even if I'm being generous and start with NES

NES ->SNES ->PS1 -> PS2 -> Wii/PS3/360

That's 5 already dude.
default two
"Nintendo has their own games. Also, we don't consider it next gen."
Kusagari
What the fuck is Gen 4?
Cosmonaut X

Originally Posted by Lord-Audie

Is there any truth to the Nintendo + Origin negotiations goin sour?

Dunno, but something obviously went bad along the way.
TheWesker

And any journalist worth their salt would continue to press and not be a lacky though I digress. Gaming Journalism is more about getting freebies than being a journalist

You really think that's what it is? EA would reserve the right to not comment, or give non-answers. Blaming the press is misguided.