• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

AHA-Lambda
(01-29-2013, 10:36 PM)
http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/29/prin...he-time-being/

“Brand management is a tricky thing,” Mallat told IGN. “It needs people's attention a lot. I think it is fair to say that, right now, Prince of Persia is being paused. But we said the same thing for some other brands that suddenly popped up because a team is willing to do it.”

“I’m not scared at all for Prince of Persia fans. We’ll find something to entertain them with in the future. Prince of Persia is part of Ubisoft’s portfolio. As a matter of fact, we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest.”

lock if old

Personally, I'd say this is a good thing ultimately, they clearly didn't know what to do with it.
Last edited by AHA-Lambda; 01-29-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Criminal Upper
Banned
(01-29-2013, 10:36 PM)
Good. They'd only screw it up further.
Anticitizen One
Banned
(01-29-2013, 10:37 PM)
They really messed that franchise up by first establishing a good series on Ps2/xbox and then completely rebooting the universe for ps3/360 and then backtracking and making a game that was a hybrid of the ps2 series + the movie.

Should have just continued the ps2 series in the first place.
Eideka
Banned
(01-29-2013, 10:37 PM)
:(
DaBoss
(01-29-2013, 10:38 PM)
They should consider pausing Assassin's Creed, but too bad that won't happen. Makes them too much money.
BrokenEchelon
Banned
PoP '08 style graphics and spiritual sequel on PS4/720/PC please.
earvcunanan
I'm still hoping they continue the PoP 08 style next gen.
Raitosaito
Make another Disney movie.
Hot Coldman
(01-29-2013, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Anticitizen One

They really messed that franchise up by first establishing a good series on Ps2/xbox and then completely rebooting the universe for ps3/360 and then backtracking and making a game that was a hybrid of the ps2 series + the movie.

Should have just continued the ps2 series in the first place.

Nah, they should have just continued what they started with PoP '08 but, you know, making it better.
Blades64
Banned
I'm actually a fan of the PS2 games AND POP 2008. Both were great in their own way. A proper sequel to POP 2008 I would like though...
i-Lo
PoP 2008 is still one of my favourite games of this generation due to great cast, beautiful, imaginative level design and art style and finally exquisite soundtrack.

It is a shame that we may perhaps never see another in the same vein.
Carl
I loved PoP 08. Go back to that.
Criminal Upper
Banned

Originally Posted by earvcunanan

Let's hope they build some gameplay around it next time.
Sendou

Originally Posted by earvcunanan

THIS. The things they could do... Even on PC the style looked so good.
Glass Rebel
Ubi has no idea what they're doing with most of their franchises anyway so it's better this way. A new PoP wouldn't have been a platformer either way.
jediyoshi
(01-29-2013, 10:40 PM)
If the next pop doesn't expand on pop08, I'm going to die a little inside
They can even withhold the DLC from the PC version again, it's cool
Samurai-Don
Banned
(01-29-2013, 10:41 PM)
Translation;

"Assassin's Creed makes us more money."
ItWasMeantToBe19
(01-29-2013, 10:41 PM)
Do people really love shitty banter told in shot reverse shot+level design that felt like it was made in a couple of weeks that much? (responding to the want for PoP 2008 2)
MG310
(01-29-2013, 10:42 PM)
Probably for the best - especially given that weird Assassin's Creed looking thing we saw some screens of a while ago. I'd love to see what the 2008 game's art style would look like on new hardware even if they don't continue that story.
EMT0

Originally Posted by DaBoss

They should consider pausing Assassin's Creed, but too bad that won't happen. Makes them too much money.

I second this.
Noray
Not getting a sequel to PoP '08 is one of the biggest disappointments of the generation for me. I love that game, beautiful art style and great world building. Liked the way it played too, the combat looked phenomenal. Very underrated imo.
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
They probably just farm it out until it becomes just as shit as the AC series.

PoP: SoT and Two Thrones were good. The story is over. Goodbye.
BrokenSymmetry
All 5 recent PoP games were good to excellent, with Sands of Time being a masterpiece. So, personally, I'm disappointed that all Ubisoft's effort have been going towards Assassin's Creed. I would still love to see a follow-up to the 2008 PoP, with some further developed gameplay elements.
Rated-Rsuperstar
I'm glad they put prince of persia on hold. Now the team can help make 3 Assassin games a year. Hopefully the new one is an fps and set in modern day.
Averon
(01-29-2013, 10:43 PM)
There will never be another PoP as long as Ass Creed continues to sells. Ass Creed effectively replaced PoP as far as Ubi is concerned.
Loch Doun
(01-29-2013, 10:43 PM)
The IP does need a rest. It will get a reboot sometime next gen I suppose.
Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz
(01-29-2013, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by DaBoss

Giving Assassin's Creed an year off and having the same team develop a new Prince of Persia instead would probably be the smartest thing they could do.

Too bad they'll never do something as sensible as this.
vocab
I want a re haul. The last one was pretty much ass creed lite.
Roto13
“Brand management is a tricky thing,” said the man representing the company that keeps squirting out Assassin's Creed games every year, attempting to run that franchise into the ground.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(01-29-2013, 10:45 PM)
"we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest"

Yes, I'm glad the PoP franchise is on hold. They really milked it this generation.

Originally Posted by Green Scar

Nah, they should have just continued what they started with PoP '08 but, you know, making it better.

You mean like they did with Assassin's Creed? No, that would make too much sense.
MajorGravy
(01-29-2013, 10:45 PM)
PoP:2010 was decent. It got me all nostalgia'd from the ps2 games. Ending sucked though!
Sid
(01-29-2013, 10:46 PM)
That's bad,the last ones were quite nice.
Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
(01-29-2013, 10:46 PM)
I don't really see a place for it in Ubisoft's future.

The traversal and combat elements that made the PS2 series popular have been incorporated into and evolved by Assassin's Creed, leaving PoP to be a less important series. The story and setting remain unique, but there's no room to design a game around them.
gutter_trash
(01-29-2013, 10:47 PM)
they pretty much killed the franchise with so many style changes within a small span of time without any ''franchise'' coherence.

The Prince from the Two Thrones, POP 2008 and Forgotten Sands are all 3 different princes. This dilutes that character, and the franchise and nobody cares.

Forgotten Sands was a ''business title'' to try to capitalise on the Disney movie without caring about coherence.
kenjisalk
(01-29-2013, 10:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

Ubi has no idea what they're doing with most of their franchises anyway so it's better this way. A new PoP wouldn't have been a platformer either way.

Yeah, pretty much this. Those leaked supposed screenshots of a new title looked incredibly drab and evoked ACI, which is NOT what I want out of this series.

As pretty and charming as PoP2008 was, it was a real trainwreck gameplay wise, and since it didn't perform all that well, we're never going to see them iterate on that version.

I'd much rather they bring Jordan Mechner in and have him elaborate on his vision of The Prince as a folktale, changing the visual style, aesthetics and gameplay with each rendition, like how classic myths are tweaked and altered to adapt to various cultures.

Each game could be reinventing who The Prince is, where he's from, how the gameplay operates, and the art direction of each game, rather than trying to force a longer narrative and set of gameplay mechanics to work across a bunch of titles (I'm leaning towards episodic distribution personally). They could be encapsulated stories rather than stretching one long one out (which would make it easier for new players to check it out).
Hesemonni
(01-29-2013, 10:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Noray

Not getting a sequel to PoP '08 is one of the biggest disappointments of the generation for me. I love that game, beautiful art style and great world building. Liked the way it played too, the combat looked phenomenal. Very underrated imo.

You and me both, man. You and me both.
Glass Rebel
(01-29-2013, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by ItWasMeantToBe19

Do people really love shitty banter told in shot reverse shot+level design that felt like it was made in a couple of weeks that much? (responding to the want for PoP 2008 2)

People want the concepts in PoP 2008 to be expanded and improved on.

Kinda like Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed II.
-Silver-
(01-29-2013, 10:49 PM)

As a matter of fact, we sometimes iterate on franchises and sometimes we give them time to breathe and time to grow, or time to rest

They don't seem to give AC time to breathe and grow and they seemed to have forgotten about PoP completely.
TeethMummy
NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
(01-29-2013, 10:50 PM)
I loved PoP 2008.

And the original Sands of Time HD is fun still too.
Hot Coldman
(01-29-2013, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by brotkasten

You mean like they did with Assassin's Creed? No, that would make too much sense.

I guess putting money towards those important Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell sequels was more important.
RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(01-29-2013, 10:51 PM)
What about those leaked images of bald prince of persia?
StalkerUKCG
(01-29-2013, 10:52 PM)

Reboot the series. Ignore PoP 2008.
gutter_trash
(01-29-2013, 10:54 PM)

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

Reboot the series. Ignore PoP 2008.

eeek, looks drab and no flavor
KurowaSan
(01-29-2013, 10:55 PM)

Originally Posted by gutter_trash

they pretty much killed the franchise with so many style changes within a small span of time without any ''franchise'' coherence.

The Prince from the Two Thrones, POP 2008 and Forgotten Sands are all 3 different princes. This dilutes that character, and the franchise and nobody cares

the prince from Forgotten Sands IS the prince from Two Thrones.
kenjisalk
(01-29-2013, 10:56 PM)
They've either got to reboot it and make it MORE realistic/accurate than Assassin's Creed, or go full hog fantasy like they tried to do with Prince of Persia 2008. I think that, since it didn't result in sales with 2008, we're probably going to see a pretty grounded entry that removes the more fantastical elements of the Sands of Time Trilogy.

I'm not sure I really like either direction, but I'm at a loss for any alternatives.
grimshawish
Banned
They'd add auto-platforming. Leave me with my memoriesm
Vashetti
When do we get the sequel to this?:

That epilogue didn't answer shit. I need more.
kenjisalk
(01-29-2013, 10:58 PM)
When we all hop into a time machine, go back to 2008, and actually buy it.
TripOpt55
(01-29-2013, 11:00 PM)
Hmmm... would love a new Prince of Persia. Quite a few acceptable directions for it. Vastly superior series to Assassin's Creed too, so its a shame we will continue to get one of them each year instead.
Beckx
(01-29-2013, 11:00 PM)
Put me in the camp that's sad we've never seen anything following up on PoP 2008. That's really the only PoP I want to see more of. The Breathe Me E3 trailer remains one of my favorite trailers from this gen.

Originally Posted by kenjisalk

When we all hop into a time machine, go back to 2008, and actually buy it.

Sad but true. Everything I really liked this gen, very few people bought.