• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Jackben
(08-06-2012, 09:46 PM)
Jackben's Avatar
Quoted for new page:

Originally Posted by Jackben

I think of PlayStation All-Stars as more of a 'cover' of Super Smash Bros.

In the music world, lots of artists cover songs originally written and performed by other artists and end up creating something really great and different, putting their own unique twist and flavor to the song. Sometimes covers end up transcending and becoming greater and more famous than the original song as well.

Also if people are concerned enough to be angry about PSASBR why don't they just wait for it to bomb like they expect?

Doesn't it seem a bit silly when you realize that the people wwho have already decided it's going to be terrible are the same people who have no intention of ever playing it?
MrChocolate
Member
(08-06-2012, 09:55 PM)
MrChocolate's Avatar
If this is what we can expect from this game before release. I can't even wait to read the reactions if the full game ends up being way better than Melee (fuck Brawl) or if the game ends up being a failure.

Either way, there will be thousands of people crying on the forums.

It will be soooo good.
Kade
Member
(08-06-2012, 09:57 PM)
Kade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jackben

Doesn't it seem a bit silly when you realize that the people wwho have already decided it's going to be terrible are the same people who have no intention of ever playing it?

I have no intention of reading Fifty Shades of Grey and I think its terrible.

I have no intention of listening to any Katy Perry albums and I think they're terrible.

People aren't conjuring opinions out of thin air. People think things are terrible or good based on years (sometimes decades) of experience and know what they'll dislike and what they'll like more than anyone else does. So no, it doesn't seem silly when people on a gaming enthusiast message board show displeasure when watching a video or viewing screenshots of a game. There definitely is a group of people who talk shit about the game just to piss others off but to assume that everyone who criticizes falls under that category is ridiculous.

Hopefully you're not under the assumption that people think it's objectively terrible. That would be hilarious.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Banned
(08-06-2012, 09:57 PM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrChocolate

If this is what we can expect from this game before release. I can't even wait to read the reactions if the full game ends up being way better than Melee (fuck Brawl) or if the game ends up being a failure.

Either way, there will be thousands of people crying on the forums.

It will be soooo good.

Better than melee? lol! Nothing cant touch that Masterpiece of a game.
njean777
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:01 PM)
njean777's Avatar

Originally Posted by Urvan

That's so stupid, what we are talking about isn't all-star system we are talking about taking a game format and slap on your own game and say "I made this shit".


^^^^


You dare question "Super Saint Lucas" ?

Did sony ever do this? I dont think they have... if they have then I have no clue about it.
Jackben
(08-06-2012, 10:04 PM)
Jackben's Avatar

Originally Posted by dygiT

I have no intention of reading Fifty Shades of Grey and I think its terrible.

I have no intention of listening to any Katy Perry albums and I think they're terrible.

People aren't conjuring opinions out of thin air. People think things are terrible or good based on years (sometimes decades) of experience and know what they'll dislike and what they'll like more than anyone else does. So no, it doesn't seem silly when people on a gaming enthusiast message board show displeasure when watching a video or viewing screenshots of a game. There definitely is a group of people who talk shit about the game just to piss others off but to assume that everyone who criticizes falls under that category is ridiculous.

The difference is those media examples you listed already exist. That being said I don't think everyone who is critical of the idea is a fan boy or trolling. There is genuine reason to dislike the idea of this game and what it represents.

But I also think everyone would be better suited to save their energy for when there are concrete aspects to exalt or critique. Kamiya is kind of being volatile just for the sake of it, when really he's just giving the game more attention than he thinks it deserves.
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:05 PM)
Drago's Avatar
this thread is now past 2000 posts

why
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:07 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
I'm still wondering why having "big name FGC (tm)" people would make a game automatically better, especially considering how the mechanics are different than your typical fighting game. It baffles me why the fanboys of the game automatically use it as some form of medal.
SmithnCo
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:08 PM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

I'm still wondering why having "big name FGC (tm)" people would make a game automatically better, especially considering how the mechanics are different than your typical fighting game. It baffles me why the fanboys of the game automatically use it as some form of medal.

Their influence is definitely there. I have seen some awesome combos so far.
Urvan
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Drago

this thread is now past 2000 posts

why

Because I'm posting...
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:09 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmithnCo

Their influence is definitely there. I have seen some awesome combos so far.

Combos are everywhere though. I'm playing All Generation Rider 2 and it has combos too :P

Meteor > Fourze in that game
truly101
I got grudge sucked!
(08-06-2012, 10:10 PM)
truly101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drago

this thread is now past 2000 posts

why

because

Zen
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

I'm still wondering why having "big name FGC (tm)" people would make a game automatically better, especially considering how the mechanics are different than your typical fighting game. It baffles me why the fanboys of the game automatically use it as some form of medal.

Talent is talent.
Great Rumbler
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:13 PM)
Great Rumbler's Avatar
Honestly, why, as a consumer, would anyone be concerned with whether Playstation All Stars is a ripoff or not? If you loved Smash Bros., wouldn't you be happy that someone else was doing another game of the exact same/very similar style? The only thing I can think of is console warriors trying to score some points at the expense of the other side. Let Nintendo worry about the lawsuits, focus instead on playing the kinds of game you like [whether the logo on the box is Sony's or Nintendo's].

And if Playstation All Stars turns out to be a terrible ripoff, just don't play it.
KalBalboa
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Drago

this thread is now past 2000 posts

why

Originally Posted by truly101

because

True.


That and guys like me are trying to make the argument of how dismissing the game as nothing more than a ripoff is a short-sighted way of looking at the game (which is sadly an uphill fight with no real chance of success on a video game message board).

There's also a lot of fanboy rants on either side.
SmithnCo
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:13 PM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

Combos are everywhere though.

Not in Brawl (lol).

There are definitely interesting FG mechanics in this even though it isn't your typical 1 on 1 fighter. Crumple states, hitstun, and hit confirms for supers. Having people that understand fighting games on the team certainly doesn't hurt.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:14 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zen

Talent is talent.

Different talents though :P

Originally Posted by SmithnCo

Not in Brawl (lol).

There are definitely interesting FG mechanics in this even though it isn't your typical 1 on 1 fighter. Crumple states, hitstun, and hit confirms for supers. Having people that understand fighting games on the team certainly doesn't hurt.

Well Brawl is the problem, everyone knows that :P

And it's not like the other games of that series don't have them. Hell, even games from Ultimate Ninja, etc. have them. They're more of necessities nowadays.

Not saying that having them around is bad. It's just that people are touting it as if it's some second coming of Jesus.
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(08-06-2012, 10:17 PM)
Ushojax's Avatar
How has this thread gone on so long? Of course this game is a rip-off. It exists because of Smash Bros but all that matters is whether it's a decent piece of software, not whether they were right to copy another game.
slaughterking
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:20 PM)
slaughterking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ushojax

How has this thread gone on so long?

Steve Youngblood
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:21 PM)
Steve Youngblood's Avatar
I can understand to some extent valuing originality. However -- particularly when talking about game systems -- I don't think that it's really the end-all-be-all. Sure, it's great when some genuinely new and unique gameplay comes along that shakes things up, but clearly refinement of existing mechanics is also very important to furthering design principles. As such, I don't personally understand disdain for a competitor coming along and trying to beat something at its own game.

Either it fails and cements that the original is still king, or it sets the bar higher for all titles in the genre. It's certainly good from a consumer standpoint. And from a design standpoint -- short of lamenting after the fact if/when the "copy cat" game proves more successful and your contributions are forgotten -- I would think the old "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" adage should preclude the sentiment that there can be only one.
evolution
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

Different talents though :P



Well Brawl is the problem, everyone knows that :P

And it's not like the other games of that series don't have them. Hell, even games from Ultimate Ninja, etc. have them. They're more of necessities nowadays.

Not saying that having them around is bad. It's just that people are touting it as if it's some second coming of Jesus.

People are just glad that they were able to get people on the team that clearly understand fighting games. They would be great assets to any dev team.
Monumental
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Urvan

Because I'm posting...

This whole attention-whoring bit, where you get off on your idiotic fanboy-baiting is getting a little pathetic. Cut it out.
Phife Dawg
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:27 PM)
Phife Dawg's Avatar

Originally Posted by njean777

Smash Bros was a rip off of Fighter Megamix...

LOL!

This thread is my guilty pleasure of the day.
Urvan
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Monumental

This whole attention-whoring bit, where you get off on your idiotic fanboy-baiting is getting a little pathetic. Cut it out.

And ? stop being such a fun spoiler, we're having fun here....
Burnburn
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:31 PM)
Burnburn's Avatar
This Thread is everything that's wrong in Gaf.
Urvan
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Burnburn

This Thread is everything that's wrong in Gaf.

And your avatar is sooo cute!!
Acquiescence
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:31 PM)
Acquiescence's Avatar

Originally Posted by truly101

Playstation all stars may have a limited roster compared to SSBt I think the characters are more diverse, and will be much more fun to play.


You know what they say, quality over quantity

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1-character/1-IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.-
Urvan
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1 character rule/1 IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.

Hey Sony fan***, stop talking shit on your creators, SSB. is the original, PSABR might be a good ripoff but stop saying it will be better, Sony characters don't have the charm Nintendo characters has. AND I'M DEAD SERIOUS HERE.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:34 PM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1 character rule/1 IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.

False. They are all smash rip offs/ clones already.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:35 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by evolution

People are just glad that they were able to get people on the team that clearly understand fighting games. They would be great assets to any dev team.

Oh I know, and it's good.

But what I love are the posts before, especially the ones that promote the FGC (tm).
meta4
Junior Member
(08-06-2012, 10:36 PM)
meta4's Avatar
I would not have minded this tweet that much if it was coming from a dev who actually backed what he was saying. Not only did he not play it to realize it plays nothing like Smash the fact that it is also coming from a dev who was all praises for the epic fail known as Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble and has the audacity to say what he did with a straight face is lol worthy.
Acquiescence
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:37 PM)
Acquiescence's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

False. They are all smash rip offs/ clones already.

Oooh, give me some examples please.
Roto13
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:37 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1 character rule/1 IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.

This thread never stops being hilarious.
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:38 PM)
Drago's Avatar
Can we please nuke this thread to the archives already? :p
meta4
Junior Member
(08-06-2012, 10:39 PM)
meta4's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Oooh, give me some examples please.

He cant. Of-course if he had actually tried the game and played it like Smash only to get destroyed he would have realized it but...
Acquiescence
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:39 PM)
Acquiescence's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

This thread never stops being hilarious.

What's funny about what I wrote? It would be hilarious if Sully, Elena, Chloe and Charlie were confirmed for the roster.
Urvan
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Drago

Can we please nuke this thread to the archives already? :p



Originally Posted by Acquiescence

What's funny about what I wrote?

everything?!
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:40 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1-character/1-IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.-

What is the Smash cycle doing in here? I thought they only belong in Smash threads!
blitzcloud
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:40 PM)
blitzcloud's Avatar

Originally Posted by Urvan

No it's wrong! you people live on by what we produce, you were born from a failed experiment that was made by Nintendo, you are like Frankenstein of gaming, you live on because Sony steal ideas from Nintendo and make it out like they never did, Super Smash bros is only the latest to the list, you did a Mario Clone, a Zelda Clone, Mario Kart clone (several),F-Zero clone,Fire Emblem Clone, you stole Final Fantasy, you stole every good franchise from Nintendo, Sony fans and developers are like Leeches on this industry, atleast be classy like Sega and Microsoft (that doesn't prove I like them either).

Tell me this is a joke or something.

PS: Oh, it's not the only gem he dropped.
daCuk
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:41 PM)
daCuk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drago

Can we please nuke this thread to the archives already? :p

Not without some bans...
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:42 PM)
Drago's Avatar

Originally Posted by blitzcloud

Tell me this is a joke or something.

It most likely is. Urvan is a joke character, he said it himself
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:42 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by meta4

I would not have minded this tweet that much if it was coming from a dev who actually backed what he was saying. Not only did he not play it to realize it plays nothing like Smash the fact that it is also coming from a dev who was all praises for the epic fail known as Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble and has the audacity to say what he did with a straight face is lol worthy.

You do know it was Inaba who did that and not Kamiya, right?
PhoReal
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:42 PM)
PhoReal's Avatar

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1-character/1-IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.-

Heh.
KalBalboa
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Drago

Can we please nuke this thread to the archives already? :p

Kade
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:43 PM)
Kade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Urvan

Hey Sony fan***, stop talking shit on your creators, SSB. is the original, PSABR might be a good ripoff but stop saying it will be better, Sony characters don't have the charm Nintendo characters has. AND I'M DEAD SERIOUS HERE.

Stop posting.
Urvan
Banned
(08-06-2012, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by PhoReal

Heh.

He's funny isn't he!?
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 10:44 PM)
Drago's Avatar

Originally Posted by KalBalboa

Huh
meta4
Junior Member
(08-06-2012, 10:44 PM)
meta4's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

You do know it was Inaba who did that and not Kamiya, right?

Oh of-course I know. But he did give his full backing for the idea. Never once said the things he is saying now. Pretty sad though that game was shit
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-06-2012, 10:44 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
If this gets archived, I'm happy that I manage to participate in one.

Originally Posted by meta4

Oh of-course I know. But he did give his full backing for the idea. Never once said the things he is saying now. Pretty sad though that game was shit

Well of course he would, they're made by his colleagues. That doesn't really affect what he said though.

And I'd rather not pull a Godwin's Law.

Originally Posted by meta4

I would not have minded this tweet that much if it was coming from a dev who actually backed what he was saying. Not only did he not play it to realize it plays nothing like Smash the fact that it is also coming from a dev who was all praises for the epic fail known as Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble and has the audacity to say what he did with a straight face is lol worthy.

Kamiya had nothing to do with that. So much for Kamiya failing huh?

Thread Tools