Chuggachuggachuggachuggachugga woowoo! All aboard! The fourth thread discussing the Wii U is about to leave the station. The fourth one Nintendo-GAF? Seriously dudes, that’s weird. Nah, we just like Nintendo. As always this thread is a collection of all sorts of rumours, confirmations and all things regarding the Wii U. Join the discussion and have some fun! Be nice or else: Nintendo ninjas do exist.
Speculation thread 1
Speculation thread 2
Speculation thread 3
Nintendo is targeting, at a bare minimum, 1GB of RAM.
Nintendo is working to optimize popular third party engines.
The amount of RAM used for the OS is "surprising". Could change with optimization.
Rumour Consolidation 2011
Rumour Consolidation 2012
Information on Nintendo Network:
- User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
- NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
- Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."
- Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
- Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
- Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
- Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
- DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
- More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
- Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
- Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
- Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."
Latest news stories:
Nintendo licenses Havok, Gameware for Wii U
Nintendo no longer using 1t-SRAM. Puts how BC is achieved in question.
Aliens Colonial Marines has so much more to offer on Wii U
Nintendo on Wii U Power: “We don’t focus on specs”
Anonymous dev: Wii U games look just as good as PS3, but are still less capable. AI, psychics likely to suffer
Ubisoft wants to be the no. 1 third party publisher on Wii U
“RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U”
- Confirmed games in development:
- Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Monolith Soft Wii U project, Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
- Assassin’s Creed III, Killer Freaks from Outer Space, Ghost Recon Online (Ubisoft)
- Lego City Stories (Travellers Tales, Published by Nintendo)
- Darksiders II, Metro Last Light (THQ)
- Batman Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- Aliens Colonial Marines (Sega)
- Dragon Quest X Online (Square-Enix)
- Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor’s Edge (Tecmo-Koei)
- Project Cars (Slightly Mad Studios)
- DiRT, F1 (Codemasters)
- Rumoured games/studios working on Wii U software:
- Retro Studios (Nintendo)
- EA (Sports titles, MoH Warfighter, Overstrike, Visceral Games)
- Capcom (“Action game” listing)
- Activision (Viscarious Visions, James Bond 007 Skyfall)
- Sega (Sonic, Sonic & Sega All Star Racing)
- Bandai-Namco (Ridge Racer, Tekken)
- Rumoured studios: Crytek, Shin’en
- Deep Silver Inc. (multiple titles)
- LucasArts (action/adventure title, MMO)
- Zen Studios (probably Marvel Pinball)
- Rebellion (multiple titles)
- Maximum Family Games, LLC. (racing title)
Thanks to Rösti for the banner!
… oh what the hell