• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Witchfinder General
punched Wheelchair Mike
(01-11-2012, 02:37 AM)

The Doomsday clock has ticked another minute closer to midnight on the back of global uncertainty on how to deal with the threats of nuclear weapons and climate change.

"It is now five minutes to midnight," said Allison Macfarlane, chair of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists (BAS), which created the clock in 1947 as a barometer of how close the world is to an apocalyptic end.

The last decision by the group, which includes a host of Nobel Prize-winning scientists, moved the clock a minute further away from midnight in 2010 on hopes of global nuclear cooperation and the election of US president Barack Obama.

However, the latest decision pushes the clock back to the time it was at in 2007.

Increasing nuclear tensions, refusal to engage in global action on climate change, and a growing tendency to reject science when it comes to major world concerns were cited as key reasons for the latest tick on the clock.

"It is clear the change that appeared to be happening at the time is not happening, not materialising," co-chair Lawrence Krauss said.

"Faced today with the clear and present dangers of nuclear proliferation, climate change, and the continued challenge to find new and sustainable and safe sources of energy, business as usual reigns the norm among world leaders."

The clock reached its most perilous point in 1953, at two minutes to midnight, after the United States and the Soviet Union tested thermonuclear devices within nine months of one another.

It was a far-flung 17 minutes to midnight in 1991 after the two signed the long-stalled Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) and announced further unilateral cuts in tactical and strategic nuclear weapons.

Robert Socolow, a member of the BAS science and security board and professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering at Princeton University, said a common theme emerged in the scientists' talks this year.

He cited a "worrisome trend, notably in the US but in many other countries, to reject or diminish the significance of what science says is the characteristic of a problem".

But the group said it was heartened by a series of world protest movements - including the Arab spring, the global Occupy demonstrations and protests in Russia - which show people are seeking a greater say in their future.

With plenty of uncertainty in the nuclear realm, even a renewed START deal between Russia and the US has not achieved the progress scientists would like, BAS board member Jayantha Dhanapala said.

"At a time when there are going to be elections in the US, in Russia, in France, and a change of leadership in China, there is some uncertainty therefore about the nuclear weapons programs of these countries and the policies the new leadership will follow," said Dr Dhanapala, a former UN under-secretary general for disarmament affairs.

"The world still has approximately over 20,000 deployed nuclear weapons with enough power to destroy the world's inhabitants several times over."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-1...closer/3767426

Mr. Sandman
(01-11-2012, 02:38 AM)
Wake me when it is two minutes to midnight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hutUnGwHFlQ
AceBandage
Banned
(01-11-2012, 02:38 AM)
He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Sinatar
Banned
(01-11-2012, 02:40 AM)
Wait this is a real thing? Like not a Watchmen made up thing?

lol
Jtwo
(01-11-2012, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by djsandman

WAAAAAAAT, I literally just typed this exact post but with the Justice track instead.
Nobility
(01-11-2012, 02:42 AM)
I always wondered, if something significant happens that would push towards peace, would they just stop the clock or do they have some time of daylight savings ability to push it back an hour?
echoshifting
(01-11-2012, 02:42 AM)
This thing always freaks me out. I'd prefer to believe it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by Nobility

I always wondered, if something significant happens that would push towards peace, would they just stop the clock or do they have some time of daylight savings ability to push it back an hour?

The clock has ticked further away from midnight many times
jadedm17
(01-11-2012, 02:45 AM)

Came to read yet another horrific story about the world around me and how much humanity has destroyed it, left happily listening to Maiden.

Thank you.
BobsRevenge
I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.

Originally Posted by AceBandage

He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

*looks at tag*

:(
Phenomic
Where is this clock located. Is it on display somewhere? How does one person determine the nuclear time to death? I have so many random questions and so much confusion on this thing.
Lionel Mandrake
(01-11-2012, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by AceBandage

echoshifting
(01-11-2012, 02:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Phenomic

Where is this clock located. Is it on display somewhere? How does one person determine the nuclear time to death? I have so many random questions and so much confusion on this thing.

Just check the wiki for Doomsday Clock, all of your questions are answered in the intro
Keyser Soze
(01-11-2012, 02:51 AM)
I forgot a Doomsday Clock existed - until Mike Rowe mentioned in on Dirty Jobs last week

Come back 1991!!
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(01-11-2012, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by echoshifting

This thing always freaks me out. I'd prefer to believe it doesn't exist.

The clock has ticked further away from midnight many times

but it does! IT DOES!
Alucrid
(01-11-2012, 02:53 AM)
I was born in 1991.

Then it was all down hill.

Does that...mean something?
echoshifting
(01-11-2012, 02:54 AM)
1991 :(
Salmonax
(01-11-2012, 02:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake

I'm what you might call a water man, Jack!
NoRéN
(01-11-2012, 02:56 AM)

Wake me up when we're living after midnight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsSVNhyiKk
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(01-11-2012, 02:58 AM)
I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.
Meadows
(01-11-2012, 02:58 AM)
I'm sorry, but that's bullshit, no way we're closer to apocalypse than we were in 1974
Joe Shlabotnik
(01-11-2012, 02:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze

I forgot a Doomsday Clock existed - until Mike Rowe mentioned in on Dirty Jobs last week

Come back 1991!!

Not too many walls left to tear down. And I don't think tearing down the Great Wall of China would help at all.
AceBandage
Banned

Originally Posted by NullPointer

I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.

Too easy...

Ah, what the hell.

NervousXtian
I'm an idiot
Clock lost all meaning when they added the whole climate-change stuff in 2007. Just not the same.
CrazyDude
(01-11-2012, 03:03 AM)
So we are closer to doomsday now than we were during the Cuban Missile Crisis?
The Technomancer
card-carrying scientician
(01-11-2012, 03:05 AM)

He cited a "worrisome trend, notably in the US but in many other countries, to reject or diminish the significance of what science says is the characteristic of a problem".

I want more Engineers in government and more Scientists in advisory positions
speculawyer
clairvoyancy is no excuse for trollin'
(01-11-2012, 03:08 AM)
I used to read the BAS in the 80's. Interesting magazine and it was scarier back then.
RPGamer92
(01-11-2012, 03:16 AM)
This needs to play in every city on December 21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLCbS02T1Y
maquiladora
(01-11-2012, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by CrazyDude

So we are closer to doomsday now than we were during the Cuban Missile Crisis?

If they reviewed it more often than just once a year then the cuban missile crisis I'm sure would have cranked it up to 1 minute to midnight.
Complex Shadow
Cudi Lame™
(01-11-2012, 03:18 AM)

shiiiiiiit

i have no clue about American politics.
BertramCooper
(01-11-2012, 03:19 AM)
I've always found the use of a clock for a doomsday scenario to be a pretty dumb metaphor - especially when the hands are frequently moved backward.
iNvid02
(01-11-2012, 03:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze

Come back 1991!!

me being born must have had some effect :D
teruterubozu
(01-11-2012, 03:27 AM)
THis shit is stupid. Makes the Mayan 2012ers look ingenious.
maquiladora
(01-11-2012, 03:28 AM)

Originally Posted by teruterubozu

speculawyer
clairvoyancy is no excuse for trollin'
(01-11-2012, 03:33 AM)

Originally Posted by teruterubozu

Why? It is merely meant as a metaphor as to mankind's chances of significantly harming itself.

I think it is extremely interesting. There is no one that can save us from ourselves except ourselves. And it is nice that people try to look at the problems facing mankind so they can be openly discussed.
Volimar
(01-11-2012, 03:34 AM)

Originally Posted by speculawyer

Why? It is merely meant as a metaphor as to mankind's chances of significantly harming itself.

I think it is extremely interesting. There is no one that can save us from ourselves except ourselves. And it is nice that people try to look at the problems facing mankind so they can be openly discussed.

And brilliant to have the forethought to make it something that anyone can understand.
NEOPARADIGM
(01-11-2012, 03:36 AM)
sorry misread
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(01-11-2012, 03:36 AM)

Originally Posted by echoshifting

1991 :(

hey, if it happens it happens... just run straight into the mushroom cloud and you won't feel a thing.
Bloodbeard
(01-11-2012, 03:45 AM)
Does this really mean anything?
Kai Dracon
Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
(01-11-2012, 03:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Bloodbeard

Does this really mean anything?

No, it really doesn't. The line from Watchmen dismissing its usefulness is spot-on.
VALIS
Finally I have 40 cakes
But it cost me 40 friends
(01-11-2012, 03:48 AM)
Read all issues from the 1940s through the '90s of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists online: http://books.google.com/books?id=9gsAAAAAMBAJ

icarus-daedelus
(01-11-2012, 03:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik

Not too many walls left to tear down. And I don't think tearing down the Great Wall of China would help at all.

Invading China from the northeast used to work for the Manchus!
greyshark
(01-11-2012, 03:54 AM)
I'm surprised to see the clock is still around - I thought it was made irrelevant at the end of the Cold War.
bean breath
(01-11-2012, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by NoRéN

Wake me up when we're living after midnight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsSVNhyiKk

Before you go to sleep, make sure you have your one-way ticket to midnight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQE1Q...eature=related
SneakyStephan
(01-11-2012, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by The_Technomancer

I want more Engineers in government and more Scientists in advisory positions

There probably are, but the kind of guys you see on discovery channel.

ALIENS guy and that idiot who whores himself as professor for lame technology future stuff interviews and whoever is the new guy who sticks his finger up the asses of animals.
Krispy
(01-11-2012, 04:58 AM)
Do they really need to start this shit back up in 2012? The doomsday douchebags are already annoying enough. Stop provoking them!
Moppet13
(01-11-2012, 05:00 AM)
This in my opinion is the lamest thing to have come out of the cold war.
Orayn
(01-11-2012, 05:01 AM)

First post wins courtesy of IRON FUCKING MAIDEN! \m/,
Karl2177
(01-11-2012, 05:03 AM)

I'm more of a One Minute to Midnight kind of guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XTqHbsrdY
homerule
(01-11-2012, 05:05 AM)
Last edited by homerule; 08-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.
timetokill
I call 'em "death hugs"
(01-11-2012, 05:12 AM)
Damn, so these guys were bamboozled by the hope/change stuff too?

If so, why are we trusting them to tell us how close we are to annihilation?