• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SomewhatGroovy
(01-31-2012, 04:41 AM)
These golds werent exclusives were they?

Are they out of print?

Also Gamemaster, thanks again.
GameMaster78
(01-31-2012, 06:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Anabuhabkuss

These golds werent exclusives were they?

Are they out of print?

Also Gamemaster, thanks again.

They weren't exclusive. They are just hard to get a hold of in stores. Most of the time, employees see them before the customer, so they will hold onto them. If one manages to hit the shelves, it won't be there long. Not all stores are gaurenteed to get them.

I heard a rumor, that there are only 50-100 of each gold Skylander, in the world. Don't know if it's true. They do seem to be more limited than the silvers, however.

As long as wave 3 hits shelves, there is always a chance one will be in a box.

I nabbed my single pack gold Flameslinger. Once it arrives, I will take a final set of pics, and I will update my pics post. Then I won't need to update it again, until March or April, when new figures come out.

And no problem, with the help. I am glad I could help. :)
PeteZaTheHutt
(01-31-2012, 03:36 PM)
Congrats, GM! And holy carp at the winning bid price for the gold Flameslinger that ended last night on eBay! But who knows, if they are as rare as you've said, then their value might increase substantially over time.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(01-31-2012, 03:52 PM)
Can anyone else find any Flameslingers or Wrecking Balls in their area? Everywhere I go is sold out :(
SomewhatGroovy
(01-31-2012, 04:21 PM)
Ha!

Got the Whirlwind, Double Trouble and Drill Seargeant 3-pack. Best find so far.

Originally Posted by Plinko

Can anyone else find any Flameslingers or Wrecking Balls in their area? Everywhere I go is sold out :(

Yes. I saw lots of wrecking balls just a few minutes ago. Target is right behind me. If you want me to pick one up, shoot me a pm and i'll guve you my paypal info. Flameslinger is there too but only in 3 pack
GameMaster78
(01-31-2012, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by PeteZaTheHutt

Congrats, GM! And holy carp at the winning bid price for the gold Flameslinger that ended last night on eBay! But who knows, if they are as rare as you've said, then their value might increase substantially over time.

Thats was me who won that auction. I told ya, I was determined.
PeteZaTheHutt
(01-31-2012, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

Nice! Good going! I checked out that listing out of curiosity just to see what these were worth to the collecting community and the bid price more than doubled in the last three hours. People are so rabid about Skylanders. It's fun to be involved in all the hysteria though!

Just bought a 3DS and Skylanders 3DS yesterday and I charged it up this morning. After I'm done typing this out, I'm going to set it up and try out the game! I'll give my impressions in a little bit...
Chiaroscuro
(01-31-2012, 07:25 PM)

Just for curiosity sake, how much was it? I did not fallow the auction. Some gold figures were finishing around US$ 200 recentely.
PeteZaTheHutt
(01-31-2012, 08:10 PM)
Okay, just got done playing a couple of levels of the 3DS version. It's definitely a different experience. Lots of platforming, some of it already a little trickier than I expected. Very combat-oriented as well. It seems faster paced than the version for the consoles.

Thank goodness the character switching on the consoles is as fast as it is. It's relatively slow on the 3DS in comparison. But it seems as though they've designed the levels so that there is minimal character swapping needed.

The 3D effect is pretty amazing! Just the preview screen on the 3DS menu was impressive with the Skylanders logo rotating around Dark Spyro. The added depth does seem to help with the platforming element by making it easier to judge distances. One of the problems that is often frustrating with the LEGO games is that it's sometimes difficult to judge depth and you often jump toward a platform and flat out miss it. I also bought LEGO Star Wars III but I haven't played it yet, so I'm interested to see if the 3D effect makes the platforming depths easier to judge with a LEGO game as well.

There are a couple of negatives. The first one is an issue with the 3DS device itself. I've already found that when you are in the heat of a battle, your tendency is to move the device around a lot which results in your eyes being removed from the "3D sweet spot", thus you lose the 3D effect and get the double image. And I'm sure that the high degree of platforming involved in this version will somewhat frustrate my daughter. So the 3DS version doesn't seem to be as kid-friendly as the console version.

Overall, it's a fun game so far. I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad that it's a different experience from the console version.
SomewhatGroovy
(01-31-2012, 08:22 PM)
Lego Star wars 3d def helps the platforming on that game. The lego games on 3ds did a good job with that. In fact, i would venture to say that the 3D in those games are implemented much better than here. I dislike the 3D on this tbh. It feels tacked on but you're right, it does very much help with the platforming alone. I didnt have sweet spot or handheld movement problems :(

I enjoy this ver too. It a laid back game if a tad too simplistic in terms of production. No online is a bummer but it controls well and graphics are serviceable.

I do not doubt that the next game will be a much more though out production. At least i hope so. Theres plenty room for improvement. Inthe end, it is cute and fun and thts all i need personally.
Double D
(01-31-2012, 08:58 PM)

Flameslinger currently in stock over at gamestop.com. They also have the new 3 pack in stock (Whirlwind, etc).
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(01-31-2012, 09:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Double D

Flameslinger currently in stock over at gamestop.com. They also have the new 3 pack in stock (Whirlwind, etc).

Thanks for posting--just tried to add it to my cart and was sold out :(
GameMaster78
(01-31-2012, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro

Just for curiosity sake, how much was it? I did not fallow the auction. Some gold figures were finishing around US$ 200 recentely.

It ended at 225 bucks.
BJK
(02-01-2012, 01:02 AM)
^^
...and I felt guilty running out to Target 10 minutes before it closed last night, because I noticed they got a new shipment in.

Grabbed the Stealth Elf / Wrecking Ball / Sonic Boom 3-pack, bringing my total # of Skylanders to 9, but more importantly, one of each element.

(Sidenote: Anyone have a skylander that they really don't like? Eruptor is my fire type, and while I appreciate that his X attack can hit enemies on raised platforms, he's still my least used character.)
PeteZaTheHutt
(02-01-2012, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Anabuhabkuss

Lego Star wars 3d def helps the platforming on that game. The lego games on 3ds did a good job with that. In fact, i would venture to say that the 3D in those games are implemented much better than here. I dislike the 3D on this tbh. It feels tacked on but you're right, it does very much help with the platforming alone. I didnt have sweet spot or handheld movement problems :(

I enjoy this ver too. It a laid back game if a tad too simplistic in terms of production. No online is a bummer but it controls well and graphics are serviceable.

I do not doubt that the next game will be a much more though out production. At least i hope so. Theres plenty room for improvement. Inthe end, it is cute and fun and thts all i need personally.

I just finished the first level of LEGO Star Wars III and I've got to say that I'm blown away by the 3D effect. Visually, it looks great. Although the effect breaks down somewhat when the camera is moving fast during cut-scenes and they seem to have somehow botched the shadows because they look way off, almost as though the shadows are in 2D while the rest of the graphics are in 3D. It's kind of jarring at times. Overall though, I'm very impressed. And the 3D does seem to help with judging depth where the platforming is concerned.

Glad to hear that you're not having any "sweet spot" or handheld movement problems. It's more of a minor nitpick with me rather than any kind of deal breaker because it only occurs occasionally. So far I'm much happier with the 3DS than I had anticipated.
WatTsu
(02-01-2012, 06:20 AM)
Finally got the game and played the first two chapters. Using Hex as my main, but I like Trigger Happy a lot too. It's a little slow but the jokes are great when they land and I can see the appeal of going back and leveling up all the characters.

I hemmed and hawed about opening my Hex - the packaging is cool and you never know how the secondary market is on these things - but eventually decided to open it for the sake of expediency and ease of use - I didn't want to carry the box to and from the console all the time. Also, she's not selling for that much and I didn't get this stuff as an investment, I got it to play.

Please tell me I made the right decision. :P
Double D
(02-01-2012, 02:53 PM)

Thanks for posting--just tried to add it to my cart and was sold out :(

Well, that sucks. You know, Amazon's prices on the older guys has dropped significantly over the past could of weeks. If you don't mind paying a couple more dollars than retail (I think you can get Flameslinger for about $14 shipped), that's probably your best bet.
Plinko
(02-01-2012, 04:35 PM)

Well, that sucks. You know, Amazon's prices on the older guys has dropped significantly over the past could of weeks. If you don't mind paying a couple more dollars than retail (I think you can get Flameslinger for about $14 shipped), that's probably your best bet.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm headed.
GameMaster78
(02-01-2012, 08:44 PM)
PHEW! FINALLY DONE!

I got my single pack gold Flameslinger in the mail today.

So with that, I have updated my collection post -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1154

Now to chillax until the next - and hopefully final - wave hits.
Double D
(02-01-2012, 10:04 PM)
So Empire of Ice is the only thing I don't have now. Where has everyone been getting theirs?
RobbieNick
(02-02-2012, 01:28 AM)
I found one at Gamestop.
PeteZaTheHutt
(02-02-2012, 01:52 AM)

PHEW! FINALLY DONE!

I got my single pack gold Flameslinger in the mail today.

So with that, I have updated my collection post -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1154

Now to chillax until the next - and hopefully final - wave hits.

Envy, thy name is GameMaster78... << slow claps >>
SomewhatGroovy
(02-02-2012, 04:13 AM)

So Empire of Ice is the only thing I don't have now. Where has everyone been getting theirs?

Found 10 of them at Wal-Mart. I didn't even know it was a new pack.
Tonner Cyn
(02-02-2012, 05:05 AM)
Picked up the last Empire of Ice at Best Buy in Fullerton, CA. They had one more Darklight Crypt (which I probably should have bought as well but didn't want to tempt the wrath of Wife :)) and a couple of the Pirate Seas pack. Lots of solo figures as well but nothing I terribly needed (I saw Hex, Zap, Dino-Rang, and a few others).
PeteZaTheHutt
(02-02-2012, 02:13 PM)
I have a question regarding one of the upgrades for Hex that I'm hoping somebody can answer. At this point, I've got all but the last two of her upgrades. One of the things that I love about this character is spamming the living carp out of her main rapid-fire attack. The next upgrade for her adds longer range to this attack, but the upgrade description says that you have to hold down the attack button ( "A" on the Xbox360 ) in order to increase the range.

Now, I had previously applied an upgrade to Dinorang that is similar to this Hex upgrade. Before I upgraded Dinorang, you could easily spam the attack button and he would just rapid-throw his boomerangs no problem. I then upgraded him so that you could "remote control" guide a boomerang. The problem is that this is mapped to the same button as the rapid-throw attack. So now I have to be really careful and just tap tap tap the attack button very quickly otherwise the rapid attack stops and a single remote control boomerang appears. And it doesn't matter how careful I am with this, I find that the remote control boomerang often kicks in when I don't want it to. It's frustrating. I love using the remote control boomerang from very long range, but I wish that it wasn't mapped to the same button as the main rapid fire boomerang attack.

Basically, I'm afraid that the same thing will happen if I upgrade Hex to this long range attack. Can somebody confirm for me if her long range attack sometimes unintentionally interrupts her normal rapid-fire attack since they're mapped to the same button? Thanks...

I actually pre-ordered mine from EB Games in St.Catharines, Ontario. They would only take pre-orders on the adventure packs but not the figures. You might want to try that, although now that EoI is technically released, I don't know if you can still pre-order something that is already in stores. It might be worth a shot though. I hope you end up getting it because it's my favorite adventure pack of the three.
Double D
(02-02-2012, 03:48 PM)
Wow, so I guess I've just been unlucky. Going to make my rounds again here shortly.
DiscoJason
(02-02-2012, 06:00 PM)

Wow, so I guess I've just been unlucky. Going to make my rounds again here shortly.

Yeah, me too. I just called Wal Mart to see if they had any (I went to Target this morning and they were out and realized I should just call these places) and they said they got a bunch in Monday and now they are out. I went in on Monday morning and they had none, so must have missed it. All I need are Cynder and Double Trouble. :(
Chiaroscuro
(02-02-2012, 06:18 PM)
GameMaster, I have the Target Exclusive WHIRLWIND but I do not remeber the cloud being solid white. I think my copy is a very soft blue.
PeteZaTheHutt
(02-02-2012, 08:26 PM)
Just got this today:

It was $19.99 at EB Games. There are some pathetic cardboard partitions inside, but I'm pretty sure that they are there only to help the case to not implode and to keep it's shape while it's on display in the store. So I took them out. I managed to stuff all 26 of our figures in this bad boy. Most of them are standing up, but 6 of them are lying flat on top of the others. It's not as cool as the plastic tower, but it's decent official merchandise for the price. I'm hoping that they come up with something similar to the tower, but one that holds all 32+ figures.
GameMaster78
(02-02-2012, 09:12 PM)

GameMaster, I have the Target Exclusive WHIRLWIND but I do not remeber the cloud being solid white. I think my copy is a very soft blue.

Yeah, they may be a little blue. However, on the non-exclusive ones, the clouds look like it was gone over with an airbrush.
Double D
(02-02-2012, 11:05 PM)
Just picked up empire of ice. All caught up until the next wave hits
Joe Molotov
(02-03-2012, 02:12 AM)
Got Empire of Ice and Darklight Crypt at Gamestop today. My count is up to 18 Skylanders and 3 adventure packs.
BooJoh
(02-03-2012, 06:29 AM)
After my WalMart preorder for Empire of Ice got cancelled I had no luck finding it elsewhere, but I just ordered one from GameStop.com so hopefully that one will actually make it to me. Still need Cynder and Double Trouble though.
PeteZaTheHutt
(02-03-2012, 08:24 PM)
Sounds like we'll get some Skylanders news from Activision themselves over the weekend:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Activ...r-249969.shtml

Video game publisher Activision Blizzard has announced that its Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure will be the star attraction at the upcoming International Toy Fair in Nuremberg, Germany, with the company set to make a number of announcements related to the future of the mix between real-world action figures and virtual worlds.

The International Toy Fair in Nuremberg is now open and will remain so until February 6, with the most important companies in the field eager to bring out their most interesting products for the coming year and show them off to visitors.

John Coyne, the vice president in charge of marketing at publisher Activision, stated, “We couldn’t be more thrilled with the success of this uniquely cross-platform game experience. Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure is one of the only children’s title that facilitates seamless communal play in person, on consoles, handhelds, PCs, and online.”

He added, “This concept is interwoven with superb action and storytelling. It’s a pleasure to bring this acclaimed new franchise to the renowned playground at Spielwarenmesse.”

Activision has recently registered a number of websites through a third party which are linked to Skylanders and to a new Giants concepts, but the publisher has refused to offer any clear information on the future of the franchise.

Giants might refer to a whole new line of characters, bigger than those that came before them, or to a whole new faction that will be introduced to the game.

Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure challenges gamers to take on the role of a Portal Master, who needs to guide a team of characters through a set of complex adventure in order to defeat an evil Portal Master called Kaos.

In order to complete their objective, players need to purchase real-world Skylander character, choosing from a range of 32, and then activate them using a Portal of Power that moves them into the virtual world.

rcl66
(02-04-2012, 01:09 AM)
If it wasn't obvious by reading the thread Gamestop is by far and away the best place to have any luck getting characters and adventure packs. Went in last week at lunch and they had just gotten an Empire of Ice. Today stopped by at lunch and they had multiple 3 packs, a few adventure packs and even single packs. I got the 3 pack with the exclusive characters from Target etc last year and an Eruptor that i still hadn't managed to snag.
Orca
(02-07-2012, 04:26 PM)
My daughter is ready for the sequel, she just got this from the rep at the Walmart here:

Fits perfectly on the set of drawers by her bed.
SumDooder
(02-07-2012, 04:35 PM)
Speaking of sequels, its officially announced today.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/4...ers_Giants.php

http://www.geekinvaders.com/?p=16511

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci.../02/07/LA48464

Highlights:

Going Big: Skylanders Giants introduces eight new highly collectible figures that are more than twice the size of the main skylanders cast in both physical and virtual form. Their in-game powers and abilities reflect their colossal scale.

Bright Lights: Helping to further the real world magic of bringing toys to life, Skylanders Giants includes a set of characters that feature spectacular new light technology integrated into the toys, allowing the figure to light up when near or on the Portal of Power™. These characters have additional in-game benefits as well. Batteries are not required.

Brand New Skylanders: Eight new regular sized skylanders, each with their own unique powers, abilities, and personality, join the adventure alongside the Giants.
Forward Compatibility: Every beloved character from Skylanders Spyro's Adventure is 100% compatible with Skylanders Giants, leveled-up stats and customizations intact.

Wider Worlds: Portal Masters will see all new arenas and more gameplay options in Battle Mode for exciting head-to-head play, as well as enhanced Elemental Zones, new Hero Challenges, and other features that encourage players to collect and level up every character.

Skylanders Giants also features closer integration with Skylanders Spyro's UniverseTM, the large online world that allows Portal Masters around the world to greatly expand their Skylanders experience.

Don't think it was officially announced, but I think its implied that the portal of power will not be forward compatible. No word on new elements either.
RobbieNick
(02-07-2012, 06:16 PM)
Whoo!! Awesome news! Glad the new amount of figs to collect isn't too large. 8 Giants and 8 regular size. Glad to see the figs you collect this year will be backwards compatible as well. I wonder if each giant comes with an exclusive level?
eudaemonic
(02-07-2012, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Orca

My daughter is ready for the sequel, she just got this from the rep at the Walmart here:

Fits perfectly on the set of drawers by her bed.

They're taking those down already? And how much did you have to bribe him??
PeteZaTheHutt
(02-07-2012, 07:21 PM)
Awesome! 16 new figures all together is a good number. Not too much, but not too little either. Thank goodness they made the current figures compatible. I'm hoping that they'll implement the same split-screen technology that the LEGO games currently use so that the characters aren't tethered together. It would be nice if they pulled the camera back a little as well. And now that they know what a big franchise they have on their hands, let's hope they polish up the graphics a little more and make the game even bigger.

Originally Posted by eudaemonic

They're taking those down already? And how much did you have to bribe him??

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well so I know how much I'd have to offer up. And who did you have to talk to to arrange this? What a SWEET find! Congratulations on getting it. Your daughter looks SO happy in that pic. That's what it's all about...
Zing
(02-07-2012, 10:13 PM)
So, 16 new figures spread out over how many months?

All of those small sized Skylanders displays are in French around here. The large one at Toys R Us is English though. It's like someone at Activision thought everyone in Canada spoke French.
Chiaroscuro
(02-08-2012, 12:29 AM)
GameMaster, I think you should make your man's cave a lot bigger.... and soon...

- 8 Giant Skylanders: One out-sized Skylander for each of the different elements. These characters have special abilities in-game, but balanced in such a way that they shouldn’t eclipse the original Skylanders. Each of the Giant Skylanders has elements that light up when placed on the Portal and is about twice the size of the original figures.

- 4 Light Skylanders: Four special edition figures that have light up parts when placed on the Portal. Like the Giant Skylanders, this extends the RFID technology to wirelessly power the figures and avoids the need for batteries.

- 8 New Skylanders: Eight new normal sized Skylander figures, one for each of the elements. These extend the elemental families with new figures that complement those already available.

- 24 Re-released Skylanders: Although exact details were less forthcoming on this issue, it seems the plan is to release a fresh set of Skylanders figures in different poses and holding different items to the originals.

Source: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02...nts-confirmed/

Well, I am ok with the 8 giants, 12 new skylanders, but 24 old ones in different poses?????

Also, I think you will pay a small fortune on this:

SumDooder
(02-08-2012, 01:05 AM)

Originally Posted by SumDooder

Don't think it was officially announced, but I think its implied that the portal of power will not be forward compatible. No word on new elements either.

Looks like that's not right. Saw that the portal WILL be forward compatible! Woo Hoo! More money for figures!!!!
fernoca
(02-08-2012, 03:49 AM)
Yeah, the "old" portal works with 'Giants'. Well, at least that's what they said.
RobbieNick
(02-08-2012, 07:43 AM)
Promotional images. You can see the difference in size on the giant compared to a normal skylander. also, here's a new, unknown Skylander. Can't wait for more info.

Sora_N
(02-08-2012, 08:26 AM)

GameMaster, I think you should make your man's cave a lot bigger.... and soon...

Source: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02...nts-confirmed/

Well, I am ok with the 8 giants, 12 new skylanders, but 24 old ones in different poses?????

Also, I think you will pay a small fortune on this:

Oh god, how can I obtain one of those Cynders? I bet it'll go over $500 at least.. :(
Hobbun
(02-08-2012, 04:16 PM)

Originally Posted by RobbieNick

You might be able to fit two giant characters on that portal (when playing with a friend), but you can forget about playing any giant figures with an expansion. (two-player)
Double D
(02-08-2012, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Hobbun

You might be able to fit two giant characters on that portal (when playing with a friend), but you can forget about playing any giant figures with an expansion. (two-player)

The expansion only needs to be on the portal for a few seconds for the world to be unlocked in-game, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Hobbun
(02-08-2012, 08:34 PM)

The expansion only needs to be on the portal for a few seconds for the world to be unlocked in-game, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Ok, that works then. I haven’t played one of the expansions yet. I thought it needed to be left on the portal.
SparksterMeta0
(02-09-2012, 03:08 AM)
I finally managed to get a Drobot figurine at a Target. There were at least three.

Also, I'm surprised about this new Giants expansion.