• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Android |OT| : Page 273
Cipherr
(04-23-2012, 08:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Talon-

Evo LTE's what I'm eyeing as well. Unfortunately I'm likely moving from one of the initial rollout markets, so I might be waiting on LTE until 2013.

Just think it's hilarious that Sprint is playing the "great features a year after you own the phone!" game.

Yeah it is pretty sad. And their reputation for terrible speeds will probably take a year or more to subside, if it ever does, assuming their LTE speeds to line up with AT&T and Verizons.
AndyD
aka andydumi
(04-23-2012, 10:00 PM)
So I am having a problem with my Thunderbolt.

To start off, not rooted, all stock.

The problem is the seemingly infamous black screen camera app problem. In a nutshell, when I try to open the camera, it goes and stays on a black screen forever, with no buttons other than Home working.

If I hit Home, the camcorder app seems to be running in the background and eats up battery like there's no tomorrow, phone is dead in a couple of hours at most. While the camcorder app runs, every other app that uses camera reports an error stating the camera is in use and to reboot the phone. If I reboot, and try to use any other camera app (from barcode scanner, to papercamera and so forth), it also does not work.

I have read on the issue quite a bit and here are the things I tried with no success:
- clear data for the camera app.
- pull battery for a while.
- install a new camera app and try it.
- use the voice recorder.
- delete all camera pictures and videos off the sd card and memory.
- try it without an sd card.
- gently press the camera to see if it was loosened.

I hope the camera hardware is not dead, and factory reset seems to be the last thing to try. Any ideas of a good way to record what apps I have installed so I can easily reinstall them after, or a backup/restore method?

Or any other suggestions on things to try? It worked fine up to Friday, then Sunday it had issues. Between Friday and Sunday I used my phone like normal and installed two non camera related apps which I have tried uninstalling to see if they were the culprits.

Thanks in advance Gaf.
kinggroin
Banned
(04-23-2012, 11:32 PM)

Originally Posted by AndyD

So I am having a problem with my Thunderbolt.

To start off, not rooted, all stock.

The problem is the seemingly infamous black screen camera app problem. In a nutshell, when I try to open the camera, it goes and stays on a black screen forever, with no buttons other than Home working.

If I hit Home, the camcorder app seems to be running in the background and eats up battery like there's no tomorrow, phone is dead in a couple of hours at most. While the camcorder app runs, every other app that uses camera reports an error stating the camera is in use and to reboot the phone. If I reboot, and try to use any other camera app (from barcode scanner, to papercamera and so forth), it also does not work.

I have read on the issue quite a bit and here are the things I tried with no success:
- clear data for the camera app.
- pull battery for a while.
- install a new camera app and try it.
- use the voice recorder.
- delete all camera pictures and videos off the sd card and memory.
- try it without an sd card.
- gently press the camera to see if it was loosened.

I hope the camera hardware is not dead, and factory reset seems to be the last thing to try. Any ideas of a good way to record what apps I have installed so I can easily reinstall them after, or a backup/restore method?

Or any other suggestions on things to try? It worked fine up to Friday, then Sunday it had issues. Between Friday and Sunday I used my phone like normal and installed two non camera related apps which I have tried uninstalling to see if they were the culprits.

Thanks in advance Gaf.

Backup and reset the phone. Sorry man.
tino
Banned
(04-24-2012, 12:30 AM)
I came across this Chinese Galaxy Note knock off that's pretty cheap.

Unlocked 5.3" dual sim Android phone for $250.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/blu-studio-5-3-227595/
gcubed
(04-24-2012, 01:27 AM)
Soo... after today the entire Oracle/Google case is now 9 lines of code.
SimleuqiR
(04-24-2012, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by gcubed

Soo... after today the entire Oracle/Google case is now 9 lines of code.

There is a thread for this discussion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403907

But yeah, 9 lines of code out of what 15 million? Anyways, I think Oracle is going to try to convince the jury and judge that APIs are copyrighted. I'm no programmer but from what I've read this will have a huge impact, not just for Android, if Oracle gets their way.
gcubed
(04-24-2012, 02:24 AM)

Originally Posted by SimleuqiR

There is a thread for this discussion:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403907

But yeah, 9 lines of code out of what 15 million? Anyways, I think Oracle is going to try to convince the jury and judge that APIs are copyrighted. I'm no programmer but from what I've read this will have a huge impact, not just for Android, if Oracle gets their way.

Thanks couldn't find it . No idea on the API info, found it funny that Oracles researcher got smacked around
Ollie Pooch
In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
(04-24-2012, 02:40 AM)
Haven't seen much in the way of impressions of the Xperia S here - I really love the design and by all accounts it looks pretty sweet (lack of ICS for the coming weeks aside). Anyone picked one up? I checked out the One X and it's just too big for me and I figure it'd hoover the battery like crazy.
Cipherr
(04-24-2012, 02:51 AM)

Originally Posted by tino

I came across this Chinese Galaxy Note knock off that's pretty cheap.

Unlocked 5.3" dual sim Android phone for $250.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/blu-studio-5-3-227595/

Says it has High resolution LCD

Scrolls down to specs:

480 x 800 Resolution

:D

Expected because of the price, but I still chuckled.
ep85
(04-24-2012, 03:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Cipherr

Says it has High resolution LCD

Expected because of the price, but I still chuckled.

hey that is high resolution compared to other knock-offs.
BootlegSnackz
(04-24-2012, 04:24 AM)
holding out on preordering the One X until May 3rd...

Have to see what the Galaxy has to offer, two things can get my money

-Exynos Quad Core with LTE

or

-S4 Krait "Pro" with Adreno 320

I know it's unlikely for the Pro, but I'm looking for power and LTE, and a great screen... didn't even get to get a GS2 last year, decided to hold off and see what LTE phone caught my eye, also that 800 x 480 was killin me.

and there better be a plus on that HD Super Amoled or it's definitely a One X for me.

If the New Galaxy sPhone releases too close to the fall, i'll be hearing rumors about the next Nexus and it'll make me shy on the trigger...so the release date has to be July at the latest...at least give me a preorder date.

I'm so indecisive...:(
Costcosaurus
Banned
(04-24-2012, 07:54 AM)
I'm stumped between getting an HTC One X or the Galaxy S III. Does anyone know the ups and downs of both if the information has already been released to the public?
aznpxdd
(04-24-2012, 08:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Costcosaurus

I'm stumped between getting an HTC One X or the Galaxy S III. Does anyone know the ups and downs of both if the information has already been released to the public?

What's the rush? GS3 will be unveiled in just a little over a week.
Al-ibn Kermit
(04-24-2012, 08:51 AM)
^I think he mentioned that his current phone is permanently bricked after it crashed when updating through Kies. So maybe he's running out of patience not having a phone right now.

I wouldn't hold out on there being any huge differences in the actual hardware. The most important difference will probably be how Touchwiz feels vs Sense. Obviously the screen tech will be different though.

Changing the subject, I just noticed that waving something really fast in front of the LED flash (ie: headphone cables when flashlight app is on) makes it look like a strobe light.

/drunk post maybe too drunk
gcubed
(04-24-2012, 01:02 PM)

yeah i agree AK. I dont really see it being a noticeable upgrade over the One X. It'll probably whoop it in benchmarks, but realistically there is nothing on Android (or can you expect there to be in the near future) that would ever use something more graphically powerful then the Iphone 4s.

At that point it just comes down to Touchwiz or Sense, Samsung or HTC
OriginalThinking
(04-24-2012, 02:41 PM)
I wonder if this will launch with a new version of Touchwiz which looks more 'ics' ish? I think it's a reasonable bet that it'll be a new version with more enhancements/features though I expect the UI will still be ugly as sin.
rozay
Banned
(04-24-2012, 02:44 PM)

Originally Posted by OriginalThinking

I wonder if this will launch with a new version of Touchwiz which looks more 'ics' ish? I think it's a reasonable bet that it'll be a new version with more enhancements/features though I expect the UI will still be ugly as sin.

you can see it in the test box leak, some holo elements exist but they unfortunately kept the 2.3 status bar.
Last edited by rozay; 04-24-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Chopper
(04-24-2012, 03:31 PM)
Am I missing something? I just updated my S2 to ICS, amd it appears to have neutered the Phone function. Viewing all my contacts requires two taps? And I can't seem to see my contact details from the list. Touching them instantly calls!
AndyD
aka andydumi
(04-24-2012, 03:33 PM)

Originally Posted by kinggroin

Backup and reset the phone. Sorry man.

Tried it last night. Still no camera. Still black screen.

Now for some reason the Market won't auto-install my old apps like it usually does.
ep85
(04-24-2012, 03:33 PM)
I personally like OEM customizations. They make android feel fresh when changing from OEM to OEM without changing the fundamentals of what makes Android good. I like what Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and Sony have done. LG not so much...

But I don't like that it delays the release of new versions of the OS, with time hopefully it improves..
zbeeb
(04-24-2012, 04:05 PM)
and what do we think of this android-gaf?

[Holy Crap] Google Is Now Selling The GSM Galaxy Nexus For $399 On Google Play

So, it looks like Google is getting back into the smartphone selling game - the GSM Galaxy Nexus just showed up on the Play Store. What's even more interesting, is the fact that it's selling for $399. Three-hundred-ninety-nine dollars. That's only $99 more than Verizon's subsidized phones!

Bringing the Nexus One model back?
Toki767
(04-24-2012, 04:06 PM)
Verizon dropped the price of the Galaxy Nexus to $199 to match Sprint's pricing on Monday. Still a good deal on an unlocked Nexus though.
Greyface
Redarse
(04-24-2012, 04:09 PM)

Originally Posted by zbeeb

and what do we think of this android-gaf?

Bringing the Nexus One model back?

And there I was just a few days ago propping up the value of a used Nexus at $400...
OriginalThinking
(04-24-2012, 04:13 PM)

Originally Posted by rozay

you can see it in the test box leak, some holo elements exist but they fortunately kept the 2.3 status bar.

Fortunately? If they want to pop in quick controls with ICS themes, cool but otherwise I'm more of a fan of ics blue for consistency reasons.
Toki767
(04-24-2012, 04:33 PM)

Fortunately? If they want to pop in quick controls with ICS themes, cool but otherwise I'm more of a fan of ics blue for consistency reasons.

I doubt Touchwiz will have the blue consistency.
jokkir
(04-24-2012, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by zedge

Interesting video.

[url]

This video lol.

I didn't realize iOS was so limited though. Eh.

Anyway, for those who don't have a 720p enabled device and want HD playback on YouTube, you can try this modded YouTube app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1529715

It allows HD playback of YouTube videos with devices that don't have 720p screens. Much better quality than HQ and if you have HD disabled it will default to HQ. I have it installed on my Nexus S 4.0.4 and it works pretty well.
kinggroin
Banned
(04-24-2012, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by AndyD

Tried it last night. Still no camera. Still black screen.

Now for some reason the Market won't auto-install my old apps like it usually does.

Time for a replacement homey.
Pctx
Banned
(04-24-2012, 05:35 PM)
UNLOCKED!

Link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/29...available-hspa

Pretty game changing IMO. Google must be rolling in the dough to get this out to AT&T customers and T-mo customers.
JBuccCP
(04-24-2012, 05:36 PM)
I ordered one. I don't really need a phone but I want something to be excited about. My iphone bores me these days.
jokkir
(04-24-2012, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Pctx

UNLOCKED!
[IMG][/IMG]
Link: [URL="[/URL]

Pretty game changing IMO. Google must be rolling in the dough to get this out to AT&T customers and T-mo customers.

Not the first to say it :P Look up like 3 posts before yours lol
rozay
Banned
(04-24-2012, 05:41 PM)

I am a victim of autocorrect, was intending to say unfortunately.

It's consistent with the galaxy tab 2 press shots so it's probably final.
tino
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Pctx

UNLOCKED!

Link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/29...available-hspa

Does it actually run on TMobile-s 3g network?
rozay
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:17 PM)

Does it actually run on TMobile-s 3g network?

it's a pentaband 3G phone
zedge
(04-24-2012, 06:18 PM)
Only in US? I hope they open it up to us up north too. $399 I may bite.
gcubed
(04-24-2012, 06:26 PM)
Google should require pin docking on android phones to standardize a dock connection
-Pyromaniac-
(04-24-2012, 06:33 PM)
Damnnn that's a cheap as fuck price for the phone. Terrible shame it's only for america. Doesn't even show up in Canada.
Costcosaurus
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:41 PM)
$400 is considered cheap? I probably wouldn't pay any more than $300 for it, considering the fact that I can get a different Android phone for cheaper with a new contract.
The Friendly Monster
(04-24-2012, 06:42 PM)

$400 is considered cheap? I probably wouldn't pay any more than $300 for it, considering the fact that I can get a different Android phone for cheaper with a new contract.

You are paying far more than $400 over the course of your contract. It's a great deal.
-Pyromaniac-
(04-24-2012, 06:44 PM)

doood the phone is almost 700 bucks off contract.
tino
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:46 PM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

Damnnn that's a cheap as fuck price for the phone. Terrible shame it's only for america. Doesn't even show up in Canada.

Its been that price in HK for a while. You should be able to find one for cheap.

Or if you let me test it on TMobile, I would buy one for you. :)
Costcosaurus
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:49 PM)

Originally Posted by The Friendly Monster

You are paying far more than $400 over the course of your contract. It's a great deal.

Are you implying that there are no extra charges for an unlocked phone? Sorry, I'm new to this.
-Pyromaniac-
(04-24-2012, 06:50 PM)

Its been that price in HK for a while. You should be able to find one for cheap.

Or if you let me test it on TMobile, I would buy one for you. :)

alright you can buy me a phone, test it on t-mobile, and then send it to me. APPRECIATE IT.

Also it will work on t-mobile, it has the AWS band.

Are you implying that there are no extra charges for an unlocked phone? Sorry, I'm new to this.

this 399 price means you get the phone, without signing any amount of years for anything. You can use it at any carrier it supports, you can jump from carrier to carrier whenever you want, you can leave your plan without paying any extra fees. Some carriers even offer bonuses if you bring your own phone (at least they do in canada I believe). You pay more for the phone but you earn the price of freedom.
br0ken_shad0w
(04-24-2012, 06:50 PM)
Plus if you have a phone released last year, you can pawn that off for 200 or so dollars.
BootlegSnackz
(04-24-2012, 06:52 PM)

If you look at my previous post im kinda in the same boat as you...since you don't have a backup phone I would just preorder a One X from AT&T and you will get it in the mail on the 4th.

Or at least wait until the third of May for the New Galaxy sPhone to be unveiled and make your choice then to either wait or preorder...would probably not get it on the 4th but you have a couple options...

Best Buy- if you have reward zone coupons you could use those toward the phone, or trade in your bricked phone, some video games, or other old electronics toward that purchase. I believe you also do not enter into a separate contract with Best Buy like you do with Amazon or Radioshack/Target.

Radioshack-You also have the trade in option here, plus the phone is $150 as opposed to 200. Does Best Buy price match? Kit might be worth it to check that out.

Target Mobile is radioshack. You can trade in phones here but im not sure about other merchandise. Also the phone is 150.

Amazon-Not sure if you may have gift cards or maybe amazon prime, but here the phone is also 150.
tino
Banned
(04-24-2012, 06:54 PM)

alright you can buy me a phone, test it on t-mobile, and then send it to me. APPRECIATE IT.

this 399 price means you get the phone, without signing any amount of years for anything. You can use it at any carrier it supports, you can jump from carrier to carrier whenever you want, you can leave your plan without paying any extra fees. Some carriers even offer bonuses if you bring your own phone (at least they do in canada I believe). You pay more for the phone but you earn the price of freedom.

Are you serious? If I buy it (from NY), I have to pay tax. So thats $445.84
after S&H. And then there is shipping to send it to you. What's your postal code?
-Pyromaniac-
(04-24-2012, 06:55 PM)

Are you serious? If I buy it (from NY), I have to pay tax. So thats $445.84
after S&H. And then there is shipping to send it to you. What's your postal code?

I'm not serious, I guess I should have emphasized the YOU buy me the phone, lol.

Decent offer though. You should get it for yourself though, it will work.
tino
Banned
(04-24-2012, 07:00 PM)

I'm not serious, I guess I should have emphasized the YOU buy me the phone, lol.

Decent offer though. You should get it for yourself though, it will work.

Meh. I am a cheap ass. I will wait for a tax-less offer from a different store or the refub version.
Manmademan
(04-24-2012, 07:23 PM)

Personally I feel unlocked phones are pointless in the US and not worth getting excited over.

Only 2 of the 4 major carriers (and virtually none of the smaller ones) are GSM, so if you see a more attractive plan on Verizon, Sprint, Metropcs, or Cricket you're out of luck. It's basically a Tmobile or AT&T phone.

Also as someone pointed out there's no discount for bringing your own phone. You're paying the same amount whether you paid 399 to Google or 199 or 99 or whatever to AT&T. Since most of us don't really have the option to not have a phone, being "locked in" isn't really a negative.

For most US consumers a subsidized phone on the network that offers the best pricing and coverage makes the most sense.
tino
Banned
(04-24-2012, 07:31 PM)
No. Using prepaid plan is still much cheaper in the long run. Even if you count the 20% corperate discount you are still paying more. You can avoid tax with prepaid plans.
Manmademan
(04-24-2012, 07:38 PM)

No. Using prepaid plan is still much cheaper in the long run. Even if you count the 20% corperate discount you are still paying more. You can avoid tax with prepaid plans.

Can you link me to info where this is true? Because this isn't accurate as far as I've seen in the US