• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

BernardoOne
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by ArkhamFantasy

You have no way of knowing this. If you think developers dont tweak their economies and drop rates to encourage microtransaction purchases then you're sadly mistaken.

They hire mental health professionals to help them perfect the economy for maximum exploitation of gambling addiction.

Shows how little you know, since most games have it tacked on at the end, they aren't designed around it.
Ask people who actually played previous AC games if they ever felt "encouraged" to buy the MTs.
Zombie James
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:32 PM)
Zombie James's Avatar
Swing and a miss, OP.
watdaeff4
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:33 PM)
watdaeff4's Avatar

Originally Posted by Floody

Sure, but It's not unreasonable to not agree with it, when it pretty much includes every game ever. It'll probably be a fun debate that shows up everywhere in the coming years.
I personally don't agree that having a single paid for piece of DLC makes your game a GaaS.

That's fine if you want to consider your own definition.

I just stated technically Horizon does fit the industry's definition and was immediately told I don't know what I'm talking about or made a dumb post or that of all things I was "spinning " even though I have Pre-ordered said DLC.


As I said to another poster (who ironically mentioned games being not GaaS when Mat explicitly states they are)

It's okay that you are wrong
Asd202
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:33 PM)
Asd202's Avatar
This thread is so weird. Also I will be really, really, REALLY surprised if AC:O will not have some kind of real money currency to buy those boxes.
Scrooge McDuck
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:35 PM)
Scrooge McDuck's Avatar

Originally Posted by BibiMaghoo

That is probably because Yves stated in May AC will have monetisation, and all games will be services going forward. Their player recurring investment forecast includes the new AC game, that means not one time purchases.

I really don't understand how you can fault anyone for making such an assumption about a flagship Ubisoft game.

I don't fault anyone for being skeptical and concerned. In fact, I'll even be inclined to agree. I suppose I just have some... aversion to people who act like they already know when they actually don't? Like "fuck Ubisoft!" sounds too intense for something you don't really know. "I'll avoid buying this." You don't actually know! It's just... kinda exhausting to read?

The ironic thing is I won't actually buy Origins any time soon because of the RNG mechanics...
Raonak
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:35 PM)
Raonak's Avatar
Horizon had no microtransactions at all.

Sure it had "loot boxes" but they only had consumable resource items that you could find all over the world. There was absolutely nothing unique you could get from them.
SafeinSound
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:35 PM)
SafeinSound's Avatar
I guess any game that has random loot in it now can be considered the same thing!
visiblemode
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:37 PM)
visiblemode's Avatar
This is apples and oranges OP. Massive stretch IMO. No microtransactions in HZD and the loot boxes you’re referring to don’t trap any essential gear. I platinumed the game and never thought about the impact the boxes were having.
Bansai
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:37 PM)
Bansai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nibel

Can you buy in-game currency in Horizon?
Can you buy in-game currency in AC:O?

besides those obvious facts... it's not like there's any significant loot to be acquired in H:ZD that isn't from some quest/sidequest [loot variety isn't horizon's strong suit] so... this is a very bad comparison to draw OP.
RandomTiger
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:37 PM)
RandomTiger's Avatar
I cared, for me it broke the immersion of the game to have traders selling randomised gear for money. I don't see that the world they created would have a market for such nonsense.
Stealthcobra
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:38 PM)
Stealthcobra's Avatar
The opp is reaching like crazy... I beat the game and never once saw a loot box that required real money. If that was in there its strictly for people wanting to circumvent any kinda grind.. Which there wasnt sny. I had plenty of resources.. And i got a platinum trophy. This is not the same as pay to win, found in other games
Scrooge McDuck
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:39 PM)
Scrooge McDuck's Avatar

Originally Posted by timberger

Bullshit it is..

The title of that other thread: "Assassin's Creed Origins has loot boxes"

What's actually described within that thread: a vendor with randomized stock that you buy entirely with in-game currency with zero sign of microtransaction.
Floody
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:41 PM)
Floody's Avatar

Originally Posted by watdaeff4

That's fine if you want to consider your own definition.

I just stated technically Horizon does fit the industry's definition and was immediately told I don't know what I'm talking about or made a dumb post or that of all things I was "spinning " even though I have Pre-ordered said DLC.

Because the industry definition is really vague and unknown to most. I didn't know it for example and I was 1 who replied, I didn't mean to come across as a dick if I did though. Just thought it wasn't a good way to class something as a GaaS, as most of the big GaaS don't even have expansions. They just put everything in lootboxes and do free in-game events.

Edit: as for your edit.
Maybe the super vague, not really accurate definition is wrong. Crazy I know.
Geedorah
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:42 PM)
Geedorah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck

The title of that other thread: "Assassin's Creed Origins has loot boxes"

What's actually described within that thread: a vendor with randomized stock that you buy entirely with in-game currency with zero sign of microtransaction.

Entirely? There isn't going to be a way to purchase gold for RW currency? As soon as that piece falls into place, the argument goes out the window.
qa_engineer
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:44 PM)
qa_engineer's Avatar
Backfire: The thread
ArkhamFantasy
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:44 PM)
ArkhamFantasy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck

The title of that other thread: "Assassin's Creed Origins has loot boxes"

What's actually described within that thread: a vendor with randomized stock that you buy entirely with in-game currency with zero sign of microtransaction.

We have strong evidence to believe that game will have microtransanctions in them, if Ubisoft doesnt like that type of speculation then they should have had their PR department announce that the game doesnt have microtransactions.
Rynam
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by ViviOggi

That's fake news spread by OP, it has been at least in Unity:

I agree that AC hasn't been egregious with it in the past, but looking at Ubisoft's track record with their other series and the general trend in the industry, it's still fine to be concerned.

That's Syndicate and not Unity. Unity had no option to buy ingame currency. But you were able to buy items directly with Helix credits.
Exploratory
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Ikuu

OP you can't pick a Sony game to make a thread like this.

lol exactly. OP you and me both know you can't use a Sony game to make an argument like this.
Geedorah
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:47 PM)
Geedorah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rynam

That's Syndicate and not Unity. Unity had no option to buy ingame currency. But you were able to buy items directly with Helix credits.

But you could buy Helix credits for RW money in Unity... This is the main issue:

As soon as there is a way to pay into the RNG of a lootbox, to me, that is a problem
qa_engineer
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:48 PM)
qa_engineer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raonak

Horizon had no microtransactions at all.

Sure it had "loot boxes" but they only had consumable resource items that you could find all over the world. There was absolutely nothing unique you could get from them.

Yep, OP is grasping at straws. If this thread were a news story it would totes be fake news


Originally Posted by Exploratory

lol exactly. OP you and me both know you can't use a Sony game to make an argument like this.

yeah you definitely haven't played Horizon.
watdaeff4
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:49 PM)
watdaeff4's Avatar

Originally Posted by Floody

Because the industry definition is really vague and unknown to most. I didn't know it for example and I was 1 who replied, I didn't mean to come across as a dick if I did though. Just thought it wasn't a good way to class something as a GaaS, as most of the big GaaS don't even have expansions. They just put everything in lootboxes and do free in-game events.

Edit: as for your edit.
Maybe the super vague, not really accurate definition is wrong. Crazy I know.

It's all good regarding your responses to me. I just found it humorous all the other posters pulling that crap not knowing what they were talking about.

And as far as your edit, with all due respect, that's an interestIng take to what my point was
TheThreadsThatBindUs
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:50 PM)
TheThreadsThatBindUs's Avatar
Well done OP, you've embarrassed yourself with this thread.

Go forth and hide thine head in shame.
Snowybreak
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:51 PM)
Snowybreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by watdaeff4

That's fine if you want to consider your own definition.

I just stated technically Horizon does fit the industry's definition and was immediately told I don't know what I'm talking about or made a dumb post or that of all things I was "spinning " even though I have Pre-ordered said DLC.


As I said to another poster (who ironically mentioned games being not GaaS when Mat explicitly states they are)

It's okay that you are wrong

So wait a second. You understand that the term GaaS as used in the industry is incredibly vague, even though its general understanding amongst the gaming community means games that include a stream of content and microtransactions. So sure, I'm wrong about the literal definition, but that does not mean that Horizon is in any way comparable to a game riddled with microtransactions, excessive DLC and season passes, which is what most people think of when they hear "games as a service."

Which brings me back to this: what is your point?
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(10-07-2017, 03:52 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by dex3108

More like :D

Everyone in response to this:

jem0208
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:52 PM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by Geedorah

Entirely? There isn't going to be a way to purchase gold for RW currency? As soon as that piece falls into place, the argument goes out the window.

Does it though?

Being able to buy in game currency and then being able to buy a RNG loot chest from a wandering merchant with that money does not mean the entire economy of the game will be based around loot crates.

It also doesn't mean you're gambling when you purchase that in game currency. Because you can spend it on whatever the hell you like within the game. You're not forced in any way to spend the currency you buy on random loot.
travisbickle
(10-07-2017, 03:52 PM)
travisbickle's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViviOggi

That's fake news spread by OP, it has been at least in Unity:

Here's the PS Store Desciption:

Assassin's Creed® Syndicate - Helix Credit Small Pack £7.99

Buy this pack and get 1000 in Helix Credits.
As a bonus get 200 in extra Helix Credits each time you purchase this pack.
Helix Credits can be used to gain additional in-game currency, crafting resources and other time savers.


The more you purchase the more you receive, wow that means it's cheaper the more you buy!
leeh
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:53 PM)
leeh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exploratory

lol exactly. OP you and me both know you can't use a Sony game to make an argument like this.

UC4 is literally P2W.
Stealthcobra
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:53 PM)
Stealthcobra's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheThreadsThatBindUs

Well done OP, you've embarrassed yourself with this thread.

Go forth and hide thine head in shame.

Obviously he never played Horizon and equated any box with a loot box. Horizon doesn't have any boxes that require real money
TheThreadsThatBindUs
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:53 PM)
TheThreadsThatBindUs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exploratory

lol exactly. OP you and me both know you can't use a Sony game to make an argument like this.

Are you guys just being dense? Or are you actually being deliberately disingenuous?

Can you even give an example of a single Sony published game that implements lootboxes which can be purchased for real-world currency?
leeh
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:54 PM)
leeh's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheThreadsThatBindUs

Are you guys just being dense? Or are you actually being deliberately disingenuous?

Can you even give an example of a single Sony published game that implements lootboxes which can be purchased for real-world currency?

UC4 and it's P2W.

I'm just going to keep on saying this until someone doesn't ignore me.
dex3108
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Stealthcobra

Obviously he never played Horizon and equated any box with a loot box. Horizon doesn't have any boxes that require real money

Show me where i can see that AC Origins Heka Chests requires real money.
Exploratory
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:55 PM)

Originally Posted by leeh

UC4 is literally P2W.

Exactly and no one gave a shit. They get the ultimate pass. No a thread or two on GAF don't count when it still gets mountains of praise. The Last of Us was the same way.
Audioboxer
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:55 PM)
Audioboxer's Avatar

Originally Posted by travisbickle

Here's the PS Store Desciption:




The more you purchase the more you receive, wow that means it's cheaper the more you buy!

Standard practice with this industry, to incentivize and prey on people to pay more



"10,000 free!". Yeah, sure, "free" once you pay $100.



"Best value!" "Free!"
jem0208
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:56 PM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stealthcobra

Obviously he never played Horizon and equated any box with a loot box. Horizon doesn't have any boxes that require real money

All these people claiming that the op "obviously did this" etc. really are missing the point.

The loot boxes in Horizon aren't real loot crates. Just like the loot chest in AC. That's the point OP was making.

Making it into a thread may not have been the best idea though.
watdaeff4
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:56 PM)
watdaeff4's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snowybreak

So wait a second. You understand that the term GaaS as used in the industry is incredibly vague, even though its general understanding amongst the gaming community means games that include a stream of content and microtransactions. So sure, I'm wrong about the literal definition, but that does not mean that Horizon is in any way comparable to a game riddled with microtransactions, excessive DLC and season passes, which is what most people think of when they hear "games as a service."

Which brings me back to this: what is your point?

All I said is that Horizon is technically a GaaS
Floody
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:57 PM)
Floody's Avatar

Originally Posted by watdaeff4

It's all good regarding your responses to me. I just found it humorous all the other posters pulling that crap not knowing what they were talking about.

And as far as your edit, with all due respect, that's an interestIng take to what my point was

I mean the definition definitely needs work regardless. BOTW apparently isn't considered a GaaS, but The Witcher 3 is. It's not perfect.
All going of Mat's comments in that thread.
CyberChulo
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:57 PM)
CyberChulo's Avatar

Originally Posted by leeh

UC4 is literally P2W.


No it's not. I've been fighting my way and I have unlocked every single DLC weapon without paying a single cent of my own money. I stil have the default gold coins that they gave me when I started multi-player.
leeh
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:58 PM)
leeh's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyberChulo

No it's not. I've been fighting my way and I have unlocked every single DLC weapon without paying a single cent of my own money. I stil have the default gold coins that they gave me when I stared multi-player.

"I've never spent a cent on the loot boxes and grinded my way to the guns I could of bought, so to me loot boxes don't exist in it"
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(10-07-2017, 03:58 PM)
Loudninja's Avatar

Originally Posted by leeh

UC4 and it's P2W.

I'm just going to keep on saying this until someone doesn't ignore me.

No its not like at all.
Kabouter
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:58 PM)
Kabouter's Avatar
No reaction threads please.

Thread Tools