• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Duchess O'Death
(10-07-2017, 04:04 AM)
With all the talk about non-cosmetic loot boxes recently, I haven't seen anyone talking about AC Origins' loot boxes.

I've been watching some of the preview videos posted in the previews thread and saw a loot box!

Item description: Contains one random weapon or shield. Opens automatically on purchase.

https://youtu.be/2yqQer3XhKs?t=2m30s at 2:30

It's called "Heka Chest" and according to Wikipedia, Heka means magic in Egyptian. I don't know if that's a type of several other types or they're all called Heka Chests. It's labeled a "Mystery Item" which could mean there are other mystery items in the game.

Seems like you can only buy them with in-game currency, in the preview build at least. I bet the final build will have Helix credit.

Nerf my drop rate if old.

EDIT: Nothing is confirmed yet and AC games have had MT in their games for a long time but none affected the game. I hope Ubi clarify this before release.
Last edited by Duchess O'Death; 10-07-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Megatron
(10-07-2017, 04:05 AM)
Everything was lootboxes.jpeg
Hero_of_the_Day
(10-07-2017, 04:05 AM)
Fuck 'em. Comes out the same day as Mario and Wolfenstein any way. I'll play those, then buy this used, and then sell it when done. They can enjoy zero of my dollars.
mullet2000
(10-07-2017, 04:06 AM)
This industry can be so eyerolling sometimes.
What did he mean by this?
(10-07-2017, 04:07 AM)
What's in it though.....

It could be anything!
Duchess O'Death

Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

What's in it though.....

It could be anything!

It says random weapon or shield.
Cubas
*pretends to be shocked*

I don't have a problem with loot boxes if they're only for cosmetic items and help to fund free DLC
DataBased
Micro-transactions have been in these games for a while and have been completely useless if you put the normal amount of time into the game. I hope these are similar.
wapplew
(10-07-2017, 04:08 AM)
Don't shit on it just yet, could be boxes like Horizon zero dawn.
clay_ghost
(10-07-2017, 04:08 AM)
Hahaha.

Haha hahahaha.
I have no words, I will just avoid getting these games as usual.
NecromorphTX
(10-07-2017, 04:09 AM)
Yay, another game with loot boxes.
Tarrin
We're gonna need a Lootbox of the Year award.
frontovik
I was going to say unbelievable .. but now it's whatever.
oldmario

Originally Posted by Hero_of_the_Day

Fuck 'em. Comes out the same day as Mario and Wolfenstein any way. I'll play those, then buy this used, and then sell it when done. They can enjoy zero of my dollars.

you can generally play Assassin's Creed games without having to buy into any of the dlc premium money things, the only things these things usually do is make you OP in the games and kills any challenge to it
-Horizon-

I mean at this point what did people expect after big game companies opened Pandora’s Lootbox?
_woLf
This was buggy as shit when I played it at PAX so I figured I'd probably avoid it anyway, but yeah this kinda confirms it.
RadioActiveLobster
From what I've heard you even have to find this dealer in game and they roam around.

Sounds like it might be one of those things where if you happen upon this roaming merchant you can buy the mystery chest.

Seems a bit different than choosing "Market" from the main menu.

I could be wrong though. I wouldn't put it pass Ubisoft (or any publisher) to somehow fuck this up as well.
Seyfert
(10-07-2017, 04:10 AM)
I have faith that they handle it just like previous AC microtransaction. Because the way they handle it is harmless and nothing effect game balance and not make thing more grind than it should be.
Duchess O'Death

Originally Posted by wapplew

Don't shit on it just yet, could be boxes like Horizon zero dawn.

I hope so! ACO is my most anticipated game this year :(
Ashtar
Since ac4 there have been "helix credits " or whatever offered as speed boost, I've never bought any and they haven't effected my enjoyment of ac in any way. Hopefully that remains true.
Salty Rice
FUCK

The nightmare never ends
The Faceless Master
oh god, and after all that good publicity too
Obliterator
cousin investments
Why are people acting surprised? Loot boxes / micro-transactions have been in the franchise for a while now.

And also nearly every major 3rd party title in the next 3-5 years will all have Loot Boxes / MT's heavily featured. It's going to be more rare for a AAA title to not feature MT's than it will be games that do have them
inky
(10-07-2017, 04:11 AM)
Of course
matrix-cat
(10-07-2017, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by -Horizon-

I mean at this point what did people expect after big game companies opened Pandora’s Lootbox?

Perfect name for loot boxes in the new God of War.
Otnopolit
(10-07-2017, 04:12 AM)
SOROSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
leng jai
At this rate Mario Odyssey will have loot boxes.
Jangowuzhere
This isn't surprising. The last few entries had bullshit microtransaction purchases for stuff like skill points and equipment.
Hero_of_the_Day

Originally Posted by Obliterator

And also nearly every major 3rd party title in the next 3-5 years will all have Loot Boxes / MT's heavily featured.

And I'll be here bitching and not supporting them financially the whole time.
TheSinkingKnight
Thought this was already known.
SlickVic
(10-07-2017, 04:13 AM)
Syndicate had microtransactions but they were pretty easy to ignore and avoid. If they have graduated to real money loot boxes for Origins I hope they remain just as useless.
Blam
Isn't this only in game cash?
Spukc
If ubisoft games could get any worse.
EA 2.0

Wasnt planning to buy openworld v12.5.exe anyway.
So nothing of value has been lost.
Obliterator
cousin investments
(10-07-2017, 04:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Hero_of_the_Day

And I'll be here bitching and not supporting them financially the whole time.

I mean that's fine and all, but yeah you are going to have to be doing a staggering amount of it for a very long time if you are so opposed to the idea.

There will no backtracking at scale on this movement whatsoever. Its only going to exponentially increase.
Indelible
Not a big deal to me, AC Syndicate had microtransactions that didn't effect my enjoyment of the game.
dab0ne
What!? Guess ill just do with ass creed what I've been doing. Wait six months for them to finish it then buy it used for $20.

Edit:

I'm not being fair. I generally wait 6 months for every game to be finished then buy it for $20.
Last edited by dab0ne; 10-07-2017 at 04:19 AM.
OdysseusVA
I would recommend betting against me.
(10-07-2017, 04:15 AM)
Thanks, Obama Overwatch
Vital Tundra
(10-07-2017, 04:15 AM)
Haven't past AC games had it and it never really effected the games balance? If Im wrong then fuck 'em, Im happy with Odyssey and Wolfenstein.
darklin0
(10-07-2017, 04:16 AM)
Haven't bought and AC games since Brotherhood. I was actually excited for this one but I am now gonna cancel my preorder.
Salty Rice
Yves this wont save Ubisoft.

At least with Forza 7, Shadow of War and now AssCreed my wallet feels much better this year.
Crossing Eden
Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Originally Posted by Blam

Yes. OP made a mistake. This is basically buying a box at a shop with the in-game currency instead of finding one in a camp or temple. Hence the expense. You're basically buying stuff from a grave robber hence the name "Nomad." Whether game has loot boxes is unconfirmed.

Originally Posted by Vital Tundra

Haven't past AC games had it and it never really effected the games balance? If Im wrong then fuck 'em, Im happy with Odyssey and Wolfenstein.

And yes, MTs in Ubi's games are always insanely negligible.
Logash
(10-07-2017, 04:17 AM)
If it's not an online game and doesn't effect the main game who gives a fuck. Shadow of wars problem is that they are almost required to get the true ending and that stronger loot is possible through them than the main game. AC has had microtransactions for a while now and the never got in my way so I have no reason to believe they will now.

Originally Posted by Vital Tundra

You're not wrong.
Last edited by Logash; 10-07-2017 at 04:20 AM.
bobawesome
(10-07-2017, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

What's in it though.....

It could be anything!

A boat's a boat but the mystery box could be anything. It could even be a boat.
jotun?
(10-07-2017, 04:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Blam

If so, I don't see how it's any different from something like the gambling in Diablo 2
MayMay
(10-07-2017, 04:19 AM)
I mean it says right there it's in-game cash.. this goddamn outrage always holy shit you guys.

Pay in-game currency, get a random item - hundreds of games have done it.
TheSpoiler
(10-07-2017, 04:20 AM)
Wait it's in game?

Okay.

I mean, it just seems like a carrot-on-the-stick deal and not I-want-your-monies
Fat4all
(10-07-2017, 04:21 AM)
as long as they don't end up attaching it to a currency you have to buy, then this is OK
JigglesBunny
We're going to need to start putting "SHOCKING NEWS" in loot box threads.
Sad state we're in with this gambling nonsense.

EDIT - We all know this will be monetized/buyable at some point. We've done this song and dance before.
Obliterator
cousin investments

Originally Posted by MayMay

I mean it says right there it's in-game cash.. this goddamn outrage always holy shit you guys.

Pay in-game currency, get a random item - hundreds of games have done it.

I mean to be fair AC Origins will almost assuredly feature in game MT's. The series has had them for years now

That said I do agree that people tend to overdue it on the negative reactions towards them
BernardoOne
For you.
Fairly sure that it's only in-game money.

Not to mention, even if it wasn't, there has yet to be a single time in the series where the microtransactions actually affected anything.