• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Alienous
(10-07-2017, 01:42 AM)

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

My guess on how Rorschach is alive?

This Rorschach is Nite Owl and the original is still dead

I like the sound of that. In support of that theory he doesn't look as short next to the inmate as I'd expect Rorschach to, but its hard to tell as the inmate isn't standing upright.
broncobuster
Banned
(10-07-2017, 01:42 AM)

Originally Posted by ElNarez

the guys at Under The Hood are pointing out some cool layout parallels between this and Watchmen #1

Bonus cool facts:
-The title of #1, "An Annihilated Place" is a reference to Horace Smith's "Ozymandias", written at around the same time and about the same topic as the slightly more famous "Ozymandias" by Shelley
-The issue takes place in November of 1992, which is the month when Superman died

That second one is indeed very interesting given some theories.
WadiumArcadium
(10-07-2017, 01:43 AM)
Quite enjoyed that. I'll probably give it a go.
VanWinkle
(10-07-2017, 01:48 AM)
Gary Frank is SO good.
Jetman
(10-07-2017, 01:51 AM)

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Issue 1 has a cover with Superman and Manhattan. Issue 2?
This:

Fuuuck yeah
MHWilliams
(10-07-2017, 01:59 AM)
Marvel: Secret Empire is about Nazis, but it's not political.

DC: All in, bitches. Let's call out everything.
LordOfLore
Banned
(10-07-2017, 02:00 AM)

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

Marvel: Secret Empire is about Nazis, but it's not political.

DC: All in, bitches. Let's call out everything.

Better yet, from the panel:

Supermanís not gonna be a Nazi or anything like that

CazTGG
(10-07-2017, 02:07 AM)

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Better yet, from the panel:

Not much of a surprise, this is canon after all:

Zubz
Banned
(10-07-2017, 02:17 AM)
Wow, that was unsettling. I'm all well & good with this, though. I'm disappointed the ambiguous ending is gone, but even if I wasn't alive for it, this opening definitely feels like it's matching the Cold War era urgency of the original, just recontextualized for the modern day.
Mac the KNife
(10-07-2017, 02:29 AM)
While I'm not overly keen on the exploitation of Watchmen, getting Gary Frank was a hell of a good choice. And that National News Network bit was eerily effective.
Alienous
(10-07-2017, 02:31 AM)

Originally Posted by CazTGG

Not much of a surprise, this is cannon after all:

That's all well and good Superman, but what are those.
VeeP
(10-07-2017, 02:31 AM)
I'm really looking forward to it. Rebirth has delivered so far.
Zubz
Banned
(10-07-2017, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by VeeP

I'm really looking forward to it. Rebirth has delivered so far.

Definitely. DC's been killing it in every way Marvel's been failing lately.
SaviourMK2
(10-07-2017, 02:51 AM)
I don't know what it is about Rorshach, I like him, but I also hate him.
Maybe I just disapprove of his methods?
whipihguh
Banned
(10-07-2017, 02:53 AM)
...I'm actually kind of interested in this. Worried about them crossing the two universes over, but I really like those first couple of pages.
Beer Monkey
(10-07-2017, 02:53 AM)
Seven is the new nine.
TheUntamedLegend
(10-07-2017, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by SaviourMK2

Rorschach is a great character, but he isn't a great hero.
Puck Beaverton
Banned
(10-07-2017, 02:59 AM)
I'm not offended by this
Dalek
(10-07-2017, 03:36 AM)

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

Gary Frank is SO good.

He really is. For my money heís the best artist out there.
Father_Brain
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:34 AM)
https://www.newsarama.com/36784-nycc...ock-panel.html

Johns says that the story definitely has political overtones because he doesn't think anyone can write a story in the Watchmen universe with it being political. "I think this world is about extreme... We're so bombarded by things where you have to pick a side and Rorschach is a character that refuses to do that." - Johns

lmao, Rorschach as radical centrist
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(10-07-2017, 04:34 AM)

Rorschach is a terrible person. You're not supposed to like him. But he's a great character with believable motivations, which is not the same thing as being likeable.
VanWinkle
(10-07-2017, 04:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

https://www.newsarama.com/36784-nycc...ock-panel.html

lmao, Rorschach as radical centrist

I wouldn't say he is radical anything. He's completely apolitical. He has methods and he sticks to them and doesn't really care about anything except his methods.
Puck Beaverton
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:41 AM)
reminder ted cruz likes Rorschach
MHWilliams
(10-07-2017, 04:41 AM)

None of the Watchmen characters are really good people. That's the point.
Mark L
(10-07-2017, 04:48 AM)

Shame on you for besmirching the good name of Nite Owl 1. Such ingratitude.
Adnor
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:52 AM)
Rorschach is not apolitical, he's a right-wing nut.
Father_Brain
Banned
(10-07-2017, 05:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Adnor

Rorschach is not apolitical, he's a right-wing nut.

someone on another forum suggested that Rorschach really is dead and that's Nite Owl or someone else in his costume, which isn't too implausible, but still... why would you even use the Rorschach name and costume if you want to use him as the mouthpiece for a view so diametrically opposed to his original characterization
Fancyarcher
(10-07-2017, 05:52 AM)
The end is nigh. You have my attention DC. I don't like Rorschach has been overused lately, but honestly I expected it.

Originally Posted by Skinny Pete

I haven’t really been paying attention to the DC universe as of late but will this be part of their current continuity or is it a standalone storyline?

Current continuity. I'm sure it's gonna lead to some kind of restart again though.
Ahasverus
(10-07-2017, 06:01 AM)
That felt like Watchmen... Which is a miracle.

Let's see if the feeling continues when red capes start to appear. So far, so good.
deadman69
(10-07-2017, 06:06 AM)
ya know what. This is a perfect time for Vic sage to stand in some binary gas and do some zen arse kicking.
broncobuster
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

someone on another forum suggested that Rorschach really is dead and that's Nite Owl or someone else in his costume, which isn't too implausible, but still... why would you even use the Rorschach name and costume if you want to use him as the mouthpiece for a view so diametrically opposed to his original characterization

Itís likely Rorshach's journal was in some way key to exposing Veidt, giving his name and identity some cachet. Weíll see.
Pop-O-Matic
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:14 AM)
The smart move would be for this story's Rorschach to be a copycat as a bit of metacommentary about how the character inspired a rise in the type of hardline objectivist bordering on fascist superheroes that the original was meant to satirize. Knowing DC, though, it'll probably be the original who's alive because reasons so DC can maximize profits off this dumb idea.
RoyaleDuke
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:16 AM)
I might actually pick this up.

That legitimately wasn't bad, and read pretty good.
ElBoxyBrown
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:16 AM)

Nite Owl and Silk Spectre try.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(10-07-2017, 06:19 AM)
you know what fuck it, that's kind of cool.
evil solrac v3.0
(10-07-2017, 06:29 AM)

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

Too on the nose? Sorry was Trump president when Watchmen came out?

these little snippets lead to poor conversation.
yes, it feels like it's just going to ape today's social and political upheaval and slap the watchmen name on it. I'm fine with that but it felt sloppy from this preview. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MY MIND .
when the first issue comes out and I read it hopefully I will feel different about it. I'm still hyped.
torre_avenue
(10-07-2017, 07:07 AM)
The art looks nice and I am definitely intrigued with what's going to happen, but I'm going to be angry if DC ends up retroactively cheapening what is one of the greatest graphic novels of all time with their shenanigans.
snap
Banned
(10-07-2017, 07:31 AM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Itís likely Rorshach's journal was in some way key to exposing Veidt, giving his name and identity some cachet. Weíll see.

they mention how they discovered the journal and were able to decrypt it
Loke13
(10-07-2017, 07:35 AM)

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

ugh..... WHY WOULD YOU EVER MAKE IT EXPLICIT WHAT HAPPENED AFTERWARD

Well you could just always ignore the storyline or think of this as an alternate telling.
Khansolo1
(10-07-2017, 07:44 AM)
I really want to read this event, but donít really know where to start and donít really know whatís going on in the DC universe (other than the Batman Metal storyline)
Does dc have a equivalent service like Marvel unlimited? Also is there a event guide on what book to read?
Dalek
(10-07-2017, 08:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Khansolo1

I really want to read this event, but donít really know where to start and donít really know whatís going on in the DC universe (other than the Batman Metal storyline)
Does dc have a equivalent service like Marvel unlimited? Also is there a event guide on what book to read?

Sadly they do not have a MU like service. However if you want to get caught up for this TECHNICALLY all you really need to know so far is Rebirth #1 and The Button.
Neophant
(10-07-2017, 08:13 AM)
Very impressed with how the book is shaping up. Apparently you can read Doomsday Clock without having to read any separate tie-ins or be part of a major crossover. I'm very skeptical of any writer deciding that he or she needs to be the one to write a spiritual successor to what many comic fans view as the holy grail of graphic novels, but Geoff Johns is one of the few writers who I think has the chops to pull it off. He's not afraid from shying from some really dark stuff, and arguably I would say that DC's entire M.O. could be found in his writings all the way back when he started writing JSA and Green Lantern.
VeeP
(10-07-2017, 08:39 AM)

Know DC service sadly :(. Just post here or make a thread and we'll do what we can to help you out!

So, what you should read imo for this event is:

Watchmen
DC Rebirth

That's pretty much it. If you want some other recommendations on DC books go to the comics OT in off topic or just search off topic for Rebirth, a thread should pop up.
DeathyBoy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 08:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Neophant

Very impressed with how the book is shaping up. Apparently you can read Doomsday Clock without having to read any separate tie-ins or be part of a major crossover. I'm very skeptical of any writer deciding that he or she needs to be the one to write a spiritual successor to what many comic fans view as the holy grail of graphic novels, but Geoff Johns is one of the few writers who I think has the chops to pull it off. He's not afraid from shying from some really dark stuff, and arguably I would say that DC's entire M.O. could be found in his writings all the way back when he started writing JSA and Green Lantern.

People sleeping on Johns cracks me up. He wrote an interquel to Kingdom Come that took place during Kingdom Come while also writing a JSA story while also setting up a Legion of Superheroes event comic.

Dude is the perfect guy to handle this.
Shauni
(10-07-2017, 08:51 AM)

Originally Posted by DeathyBoy

People sleeping on Johns cracks me up. He wrote an interquel to Kingdom Come that took place during Kingdom Come while also writing a JSA story while also setting up a Legion of Superheroes event comic.

Dude is the perfect guy to handle this.

In what way is any of that a good qualifier for writing this book lol? None of that is like Watchmen at all

I liked a good deal of some Johns's stuff in the past, but I thought he took a massive dive around the New 52 period. Not really read any of his recent stuff, though.
DeathyBoy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 08:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Shauni

In what way is any of that a good qualifier for writing this book lol? None of that is like Watchmen at all

I liked a good deal of some Johns's stuff in the past, but I thought he took a massive dive around the New 52 period. Not really read any of his recent stuff, though.

The fact that he wrote a follow up to an acclaimed book while giving core characters time to shine and respecting the original material so much that he didn't actually change anything about it is pretty damn relevant.

I mean I know we're all meant to go "fuck Watchmen," like we don't live in a world where Moore has distorted other people's characters from their original intent for profit, but even so...
Sgt. Kabukiman
Banned
(10-07-2017, 08:59 AM)

DC is going to release their free yearly guide in november, available in comic-book shops and the comixology app. That should give you all the necessary pointers. But basically, read Watchmen and the Rebirth special.
Shauni
(10-07-2017, 09:02 AM)

Originally Posted by DeathyBoy

The fact that he wrote a follow up to an acclaimed book while giving core characters time to shine and respecting the original material so much that he didn't actually change anything about it is pretty damn relevant.

Sure, but neither Kingom Come nor his run on JSA was like Watchmen at all, so it feels like a pointless qualifier for this specific project. If you just want to say he's a good writer, then sure, or he was. Like I said, I don't know about his recent output. I hope it's back to where he was before New 52 (and slightly before that tbh).

I mean I know we're all meant to go "fuck Watchmen," like we don't live in a world where Moore has distorted other people's characters from their original intent for profit, but even so...

Okay, alright? Cool story? Not sure what that has to do with anything I said lol
VeeP
(10-07-2017, 09:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Shauni

Sure, but neither Kingom Come nor his run on JSA was like Watchmen at all, so it feels like a pointless qualifier for this specific project. If you just want to say he's a good writer, then sure, or he was. Like I said, I don't know about his recent output. I hope it's back to where he was before New 52 (and slightly before that tbh).

Heís still a good writer. Rebirth was excellent. And tbh I really enjoyed Darkseid War.
LordOfLore
Banned
(10-07-2017, 09:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Pop-O-Matic

The smart move would be for this story's Rorschach to be a copycat as a bit of metacommentary about how the character inspired a rise in the type of hardline objectivist bordering on fascist superheroes that the original was meant to satirize. Knowing DC, though, it'll probably be the original who's alive because reasons so DC can maximize profits off this dumb idea.

Seeing alt right people going ĒWhat?! The Watchmen would 100% be for Trump!Ē is amazing.

Originally Posted by snap

they mention how they discovered the journal and were able to decrypt it

And a page previously released had Batman find it on DCís Earth in the modern day.