• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dusk Golem
A 21st Century Rockefeller
(10-05-2017, 11:16 PM)
Due to the nature of how this game is releasing (it just released on PC an hour ago, releases on console a bit later in Fall, people who Kickstarted the game got the game a few days ago, etc), the reviews will probably be spread out. But a few do exist, so I thought I might get the ball rolling. will update over time.

There's actually more Youtubers and Streamers who are focused on the game than reviewers it seems, so those are most of the reviews that seem that came first. Some people have had the game for several days, for example. I'll update with the site reviews as they come in.

Kohnjin Youtuber Video Review
NitroRad YouTuber Review
KingK YouTuber Video Review

Destructoid - 8.5/10

Before you get to worried about it being another Kickstarter half-promise, know that this was delayed for good reason. I'm amazed at how polished it is, especially compared to some of its competitors. The art is beautiful, it has near-full (above competent) voice acting, and working features like instant keyboard or gamepad hot-swapping -- its biggest sin is that I couldn't latch onto a ladder a few times. That's really it in my 10-ish hour quest and 15-ish hour attempt to find everything. Some parts feel a little rushed and somewhat barren, absolutely, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "unfinished."

The selfless girl of A Hat in Time is not only a great role model, but she forges her own identity as a true mascot, with subtle notes of likable heroes like Dr. Who (complete with her own time-manipulating Tardis). Any game that makes me smile while I'm glued to it is a great one.

Eurogamer - Recommended

For me it all comes together in the alps, a series of distant mountain peaks, each one vertiginous and tricksy, each one with its own gimmicks and secrets and treasures. After hours of moving between strange episodes, I was suddenly in free-range mode. I spent a fantastic afternoon in this huge, colourful space, working out where I wanted to get to, muddling through the process of getting there, grinding the most out of my move-set - a double-jump, an air-dash, a sort of targeted bottom-bounce and the ability to whack people with a brolly - and taking in the sights. Mafia Town, entertaining as it is, feels like a very distant memory up here.

I have no idea if this is how games like A Hat in Time get made - in stages, with later levels sometimes learning the lessons of the earlier levels. I am probably very wrong. But there is a palpable sense of discovery to the game, nonetheless, a sense of a design team unlocking the confidence to try the kinds of things the game increasingly tries to do. Whatever's really at work, A Hat in Time starts as a warm curio, and by its conclusion it is hitting some surprisingly high notes.

Gamespot - 7/10

A Hat in Time is slow to start, but it's brimming with the charm and collectible-finding joy of classic 3D platformers. Collectibles are both fun to find and help guide you to the game's best secrets, and seeing everything there is to see is its own reward. The platforming isn't particularly challenging, nor does it do anything especially new, but A Hat in Time's cleverly themed worlds and witty quips lend it a more contemporary feel that's just right for satisfying a 3D platforming craving.

Digitally Downloaded - 4/5

This is a game with undeniable soul and an incredible amount of shine considering its budget. Thereís very little that A Hat in Time canít do as a classic platformer, and it really throws itself into creating a cute and cohesive universe for you to explore. The replayability of the title is great, and youíll get a lot of mileage revisiting older levels and finding hidden areas as you knit yourself a veritable treasure trove of superpowered hats over time. Sure, the developer's nostalgia for the genre seems to have encouraged it to include the flaws of those golden years of 3D platformers, but I weathered those blips with a smile, and you probably will too.

Metro - 8/10

By that point Super Mario Odyssey might already be out, and while weíre sure thatíll end up being the best 3D platformer of the year this will run it a surprisingly close second. A Hat In Time In Short: A hugely entertaining 3D platformer that channels the imagination and unpredictability of older games without becoming a prisoner to the past.

Will update with more as they come, but expecting a spread out process since this game has been under the radar for many.

MOD EDIT: There's an entire thread to discuss the situation with Jontron. Use that thread. This one is for discussing reviews. This is your warning.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 10-09-2017 at 11:37 AM.
amrod
(10-05-2017, 11:35 PM)
there is no widescreen support :(
Stalwart
(10-05-2017, 11:37 PM)
Jumping in right now. I imagine most reviews will come when it's out on consoles so hopefully it's good.
Last edited by Stalwart; 10-05-2017 at 11:51 PM.
epmode
(10-05-2017, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by amrod

there is no widescreen support :(

You mean ultrawide, right? What kind of modern 3D game doesnít support 16:9?
Maximo
(10-05-2017, 11:38 PM)
God this October is packed still need to finish Cuphead and Battlechasers first.
amrod
(10-05-2017, 11:52 PM)

Originally Posted by epmode

You mean ultrawide, right? What kind of modern 3D game doesn’t support 16:9?

21 9 I mean

[edit]

have to edit INI

\steamapps\common\HatinTime\HatinTimeGame\Config folder and look for HatinTimeSystemSettings.ini

change it so

ResX=3440
ResY=1440
Last edited by amrod; 10-06-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Yukinari
(10-05-2017, 11:57 PM)
Very strange that such a hyped up indie game that had a beta and streamers playing the full game barely has any reviews.

Im sure the game is good but its bizarre.
KRaZyAmmo
(10-05-2017, 11:59 PM)
man I want this game, but there's already too much games I gotta play and finish. But it's so added on my wishlist (PS4/PC)
JDM
(10-06-2017, 12:01 AM)
I really want this but I've got so many games lately and £22.99 is a bit steeper than I thought it was going to be.
VendettaRed07
(10-06-2017, 12:08 AM)
Kingkís review is really promising. The movement looks absolutely incredible and itís good to hear that itís just as functional in tight spaces as it is on more open areas

Even if a disagree SM64 ďnose divedĒ in tight spaces, it definitely was a lot less fun. But I thought that had more to do with the camera than the physics. Which this also seems to deal with better which is good as well
isaacnukem
(10-06-2017, 12:10 AM)
Saw the trailer for this and it looked great. Reminded me of the 3D Mario titles.
ec0ec0
(10-06-2017, 12:11 AM)
Apparently this game takes from sunshine's movement mechanics, so it can only be great :p
JeySee
(10-06-2017, 12:18 AM)
Did they increase the price? I could've sworn it was a $20 preorder on their site.
HoopzBarkley
(10-06-2017, 12:18 AM)
So much is coming out, this wasnt even on my radar until I seen a streamer play it last night, it looked fun. The combat reminded me of wind waker for some reason.
RandomExpletive
(10-06-2017, 12:38 AM)
Still regret not backing this, it looks great
epeternally
(10-06-2017, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by JeySee

Did they increase the price? I could've sworn it was a $20 preorder on their site.

They did indeed.
Mivey
(10-06-2017, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Yukinari

Very strange that such a hyped up indie game that had a beta and streamers playing the full game barely has any reviews.

Im sure the game is good but its bizarre.

The Jontron thing must have put off most reviewers.
GearFourth
Banned
(10-06-2017, 12:47 AM)
The first video review by Kohnjin trying to be very Dunkey like lol needs to be bit more original but yeah, overall the game seems great and fun looking forward to it
Tizoc
(10-06-2017, 12:48 AM)

Originally Posted by JeySee

One could've preordered it at their site?! THEY HAD A SITE?!
Ah well will grab it in coming days.
VanWinkle
(10-06-2017, 12:49 AM)
Uh wow, this legitimately looks great. Consider me surprised. All the footage I had seen from a long while back made me think of it as another low-budget affair like Yooka-Laylee, but this definitely looks more like a Sony or Nintendo developed game in terms of visual density and quality, as well as the camera.
PsihoPerihelion
(10-06-2017, 12:51 AM)
Looks right up my alley but eh I won't support a game with a racist fuck in it.
cryptosporidium
(10-06-2017, 01:01 AM)
Might pick this up, this might be a great game for my two nieces! I dont think theyve really played much outside TLG
Battlechili1
(10-06-2017, 01:29 AM)
Still waiting for someone to make an OT for this game. It looks wonderful.
Lonely1
(10-06-2017, 01:33 AM)
How is the performace? Should I try to install it on my GPD win? :O
elhav
(10-06-2017, 01:36 AM)

Finally the game is released. Hope it turns out great
truestatic
(10-06-2017, 01:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Battlechili1

Still waiting for someone to make an OT for this game. It looks wonderful.

Purseowner said they'd try to get the OT posted tomorrow.
Dusk Golem
(10-06-2017, 02:27 AM)
Been playing the game for a few hours now and planning to hump back in, just reporting it's a joy so far and very charming. Fun to control, lush and detailed levels with lots of secrets, all the collectibles get you new things like new hats (for new abilities), levels, etc. There's these Super Mario sunshine styled challenge levels. First boss was fun. Has made me laugh and smile a few times, and a number of surprises here and there.

See if it keeps it up.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(10-06-2017, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

Been playing the game for a few hours now and planning to hump back in, just reporting it's a joy so far and very charming. Fun to control, lush and detailed levels with lots of secrets, all the collectibles get you new things like new hats (for new abilities), levels, etc. There's these Super Mario sunshine styled challenge levels. First boss was fun. Has made me laugh and smile a few times, and a number of surprises here and there.

See if it keeps it up.

Never played a 3D platformer besides Mirror's Edge, would this be a good modern one to get into the genre?

(No, I don't have a Nintendo console)

Edit: also is it releasing on PS4 today, or was the console version delayed?
Last edited by More_Badass; 10-06-2017 at 02:30 AM.
RRockman
(10-06-2017, 02:30 AM)
So can anyone confirm the jontron thing?
RockmanBN
(10-06-2017, 02:32 AM)

Originally Posted by RRockman

Seems like he voices multiple characters. Gamexplain video a few days ago showed him voicing a receptionist. Though he was only a shady penguin.
DontMindMe

Originally Posted by RRockman

https://clips.twitch.tv/SolidTolerantLarkRitzMitz
Stalwart

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Never played a 3D platformer besides Mirror's Edge, would this be a good modern one to get into the genre?

Edit: also is it releasing on PS4 today, or was the console version delayed?

Few hours in myself, it's definitely far better than Yooka-Laylee...and those are pretty much the only "modern" ones in the genre so yes. Seems console release has been delayed without an ETA
BernardoOne
For you.
(10-06-2017, 02:34 AM)
Loving the game so far.

Can't wait for someone to make a Reshade that makes the color a bit less saturared though.
Dusk Golem
(10-06-2017, 02:34 AM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

It's a tad more challenging in World one than some other games, but i think yes. You can go the game at your own pace, there's a ton to explore and haven't found any timed missions yet. It gives you some time to learn its mechanics, and from the start basically goves you a big playground of a level to platform and explore as you want.

Some further thoughts before i get back into it is the hub world is a very nice iteration of such a concept, has fun secrets and things added to it over time. Also the story is getting more charming, I won't spoil it but there's more to the story than I thought, as our character is an alien who crashed on the planet and needs to get these hourglasses that manipulate time, they were scattered in the crash, and seems to have no feelings towards the concepts of good and evil. Could develop in interesting directions, characters are likable so far. Main character has toon Link-esque charisma.

To the PS4 question, was delayed on consoles for fine tuning. Released on PC today, though.
Last edited by Dusk Golem; 10-06-2017 at 02:37 AM.
RRockman
(10-06-2017, 02:35 AM)

Originally Posted by RockmanBN

Seems like he voices multiple characters. Gamexplain video a few days ago showed him voicing a receptionist. Though he was only a shady penguin.

Originally Posted by DontMindMe

https://clips.twitch.tv/SolidTolerantLarkRitzMitz

Ahhhhhh, ok. Just needed that closure. Like I was digging up gameplay videos and I couldn't find anything.
UnnecessaryTodd

Originally Posted by Stalwart

it's definitely far better than Yooka-Laylee

This is all I needed to hear to give this game a try. Disappointed at the JonTron thing putting so many people off and not giving it a chance. I get it though.
The Hermit
This has a lot of Psychonauts vibe.

Count me in
Luigi87
(10-06-2017, 02:37 AM)
One of the first Kickstarters I ever backed. Hard to believe it's finally out!
Incitemaybe
(10-06-2017, 02:37 AM)
I'm really liking everything I see of this
Yukinari
(10-06-2017, 02:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Mivey

The Jontron thing must have put off most reviewers.

I cant tell if youre serious or not.
Sparrowhawk
(10-06-2017, 02:38 AM)
It's definitely the best 3D platformer on PC, but it's still not Mario tier.
Also, during the beta, you could turn off depth of field - you can't in the full release. Why?
Fancolors
(10-06-2017, 02:41 AM)
I wish they at least put a statement about JonTron. Oh well, they already got my money years ago and at least this seems to be a good game.
TheYanger
(10-06-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by UnnecessaryTodd

This is all I needed to hear to give this game a try. Disappointed at the JonTron thing putting so many people off and not giving it a chance. I get it though.

You should probably direct that disappointment at JonTron and the devs. Not even remotely interested in the game if they won't take care of that shit.
GeekyDad
(10-06-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Dusk Golem

Kohnjin Youtuber Video Review

That review was entertaining as fuck. :D
hollomat
(10-06-2017, 02:44 AM)
Iím optimistic for this. Hoping it can do for me what yooka Laylee failed to do and recapture the n64 platforming magic.
TI82
(10-06-2017, 02:45 AM)
Not gonna support this company if they don't remove JonTron.
Salty Hippo
(10-06-2017, 02:46 AM)
Can we have at least one thread for this game that doesn't revolve around Jontron?
Rmagnus
(10-06-2017, 02:47 AM)

Originally Posted by TI82

Not gonna support this company if they don't remove JonTron.

Yup like wise. Too many games out on the market at the moment anyway.

Originally Posted by Salty Hippo

Can we have at least one thread for this game that doesn't revolve around Jontron?

Don't see the issue of raising awareness but hey I am no mod.
mrlion
(10-06-2017, 02:47 AM)
I played it for a bit but not digging the controls they feel rather weird...
TI82
(10-06-2017, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Rmagnus

Yup like wise. Too many games out on the market at the moment anyway.

I've asked them twice on Twitter too, radio silence. Not condemning a white supremacist means you support white supremacists. And I dunno about anyone else but I don't feel comfortable giving money to white supremacists.