• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RalchAC
(10-04-2017, 12:19 PM)
IN GENERAL, I'VE TRIED TO TAG WHAT I FEEL IS A SPOILER. MY PERCEPTION MAY BE DIFFERENT FROM YOURS, SO KEEP THAT IN MIND BEFORE READING :)

So, I was planning to post this after finishing the game, but I'm at the third route and decided to post this now and update it with my further thoughts as I progress. Currently I have cleared 2 of 9S chapters, and I'm at the second A2 chapter of the third act.

I'm going to try to go through the less essential parts of my LTTP rather quickly. ARPG gameplay is smooth and satisfying, which I guess is to be expected from a Platinum game. It probably doesn't have the mechanical complexity of their hack and slash titles (I haven't played them) but I feel the moveset is varied enough to make it fun on its own, especially with the different weapons and all. Gameplay wise, I think I liked the first route the most. 2B is really fun to play as, and it was a bit of a let down seeing how the second playthrough forces you to play as a mechanically inferior version of her. I've had fun of the shmup segments most of the time, but the further you progress they seem to become more prominent and I'm starting to get tired of them. By shmup sections, I don't mean just the hacking minigame or the driving unit segments. Quite a few boss fights have to be (or at least are better) fought using the Pod and keeping some distance from the enemy. Again, I feel 2B had the better balance between both styles. So far, Simone is probably my favorite boss of them all followed by Adan.

The second playthrough doesn't feel like it drags too long. You keep your level, enhancements, completed sidequests and, if you exclusively play the main quests, you can probably clear it all in 5 to 6 hours (which would be a problem seeing the jump in enemy level in the third act, but it's definitely doable). Overall, after clearing my second file, I had like 75% sidequests completed, so I wasn't underleveled at the start of the third playthrough.

What I've cleared so far of the third one... I have mixed thoughts. I feel that fighting fellow YoHRa units isn't as satisfying as fighting machines. They're smaller in size, their weapons are smaller too, the camera is far away and there aren't any cues hinting you're going to be atacked. The beginning segment of the third act went from hype, to this gimmick sounds good on paper but I hate the execution (talking about the fight with the machines with the EMP), to God this is killing any good will I had towards the game (I'm talking about 2B's section where you are infected and have to go to the shopping mall).

After that, you get more of the same. Which is a bit of a disappointment, since the preview sells it as a rollercoaster and what awaits you is pretty much the same smooth sailing you've got until that moment. Most of these are minor grips.

When it comes to the meat of the game, which seems to be the cast, the story, and all the weirdness that comes along them, I'm having a good time. The characters are definitely well done, and in the third act, seeing 9S progressively going to madness promises to be an interesting ride. The machines are definitely my favorite part of the game. Their clumsiness and dumbness makes them rather cute, and the game is fun of low-key humor moments due to the lack of selfawareness they seem to have. Like that time when the Dumb Scientist sends a rocket to the moon and is disappointed because it landed in Mars instead or when the Forest Kingdom knights only realize that their baby King hasn't grown up at all after 128 years. The game has cool moments where it tries to make you hate yourself or question the way you're interacting with the game. I liked how in the third act the Forest Kingdom machines try to get revenge on you for killing their King. Generally it feels like the world would be better without you, if that makes any sense.

I honestly expected some kind of twist similar to the one you get near the end of the second act. I haven't played Nier Gestalt, so I didn't have much background on the game, but since my first playthrough I honestly expected humanity to be extinct and, maybe, the machines acting as humans because the last members of humanity backed up their minds on them, with the androids being the ones crafted by the aliens to infiltrate and destroid humankind from the inside. Or something like that. The whole thing about machines and to a degree androids trying to be as human as possible is neat and shows some of the sci-fi roots and influences the author probably has.

The game falling into existentialist themes is surprising, I was especially amazed about the Sages sidequest during the second route. I felt a bit uncomfortable at most machines killing themselves after you finish their quest chain, although I can see what they're trying to convey. The conversation between Adam and 9S have while 2B is looking for him was quite cool. I'd say, in general, those may be my favorite parts of the game. The second act has some short stories inside of the game that flesh out different characters and I feel can stand on its own, my favorite being Simone's (his beloved one is probably Jean Claude, right?). I'm definitely not blown away by it like some other people here (I don't know, maybe I will after I finish the game) but it's awesome seeing a game that is so good at translating a lot of the themes surrounding some of the most influential sci-fi works into the medium.

Will keep posting as I progress through the game, but I may not be able to advance that much until next Monday and Tuesday. There is probably some stuff I'm missing or didn't remember when writing this, which I hope will be brought to light if the thread leads to some discussion. If you've managed to read the whole thing, thank you!
redfox088
(10-04-2017, 12:22 PM)
You can never be to late....my GOTY runner up to BOTW
xxRONN1Nxx
(10-04-2017, 12:26 PM)
I started this last week. Loving it. Dat soundtrack though wow
killatopak
(10-04-2017, 12:29 PM)
Simone best boss. I could fight her all day.
Danjin44
(10-04-2017, 12:30 PM)
My GOTY. I just love, love they way Yoko Taro writes stories and characters.

God I really want another Yoko Taro game. He can make another NieR/Drakengard or whole new IP, I don't care I just want new game from him.

Originally Posted by killatopak

On my 4th time I played entire game on hard and oh boy Simon boss becomes much different fight than when playing it on normal.
Kthulhu
(10-04-2017, 12:31 PM)
I can only imagine how Yoko Taro fans feel seeing Nier Automata get such a warm reception. It really is a fantastic game, IMO it's the best game I've played all year.
Stygr
(10-04-2017, 12:32 PM)

It's funny because Simone is an italian male name but the boss is clearly a female bio-machine, yes.. female bio-machine xD
RalchAC
(10-04-2017, 12:32 PM)

I feel she is the boss that translate both sides of gameplay (the more traditional ARPG and the on foot shmup gameplay) the best. The adds in that fight are best defeated by using the Pod, while the boss works best using melee, for example. The different moves the boss uses forces you to adapt your play style too.

Originally Posted by Danjin44

My GOTY. I just love, love they way Yoko Taro writes stories and characters.

God I really want another Yoko Taro game. He can make another NieR/Drakengard or whole new IP, I don't care I just want new game from him.

I'd like to play the original Nier if given the chance, although people saying the gameplay is a bad is a bit offputting.
Hektor
(10-04-2017, 12:38 PM)
Nice write-up OP. Looking forward to your opinion about the ending.

Originally Posted by RalchAC

I'd like to play the original Nier if given the chance, although people saying the gameplay is a bad is a bit offputting.

GAF as usual is pretty hyperbolic about things like these.

It's just a very simple combat system that's about as average as it can get.

Simply imagine Automata without proper combo system or flashy animations and a slower dodge.
Astery
It is on a rather small budget and while I think it has some flaws, it's a game that all J(A)RPG lovers should give a try. It's very accessible, great music, very good presentation for a Japanese made game, basic but slick platinum DNA battle system, treat your time with respect (unless you aim to min max the hell out of it), with some nice plot and IMO refreshing to see a game can be left alone without SJWs and the character design being the sole big thing people argue over about like MGS5. (Being a niche game to western audience helps of course)
Danjin44

I feel she is the boss that translate both sides of gameplay (the more traditional ARPG and the on foot shmup gameplay) the best. The adds in that fight are best defeated by using the Pod, while the boss works best using melee, for example. The different moves the boss uses forces you to adapt your play style too.

Honestly the gameplay is no were near as bad as people making out to be. Sure the combat is much slower than Automata but in second half of Original NieR you unlock differen weapons and the combat becomes much better.
Astery
(10-04-2017, 12:42 PM)

Automata have Platinum Games, the original doesn't. That's pretty much all there is to say.
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(10-04-2017, 12:43 PM)
To be honest, it was a bit of a letdown for me. It's not a bad game by any means (besides the map, holy shit does that suck). But it just doesn't capture me like the original Nier did. I just don't care about the characters or the story like in the original.

The gameplay isn't bad. Automata has better combat I guess, but that doesn't mean the original is an unplayable mess or anything.
cj_iwakura
(10-04-2017, 12:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Hektor

Nice write-up OP. Looking forward to your opinion about the ending.

GAF as usual is pretty hyperbolic about things like these.

It's just a very simple combat system that's about as average as it can get.

Simply imagine Automata without proper combo system or flashy animations and a slower dodge.

And much, MUCH tougher boss fights.
Glad I'm not the only one who likes the original more. Automata is good, but it lacks the original's charm.
Danjin44
(10-04-2017, 12:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Combichristoffersen

To be honest, it was a bit of a letdown for me. It's not a bad game by any means (besides the map, holy shit does that suck). But it just doesn't capture me like the original Nier did. I just don't care about the characters or the story like in the original.

I honestly love the map. I gives you nice general I dea with out make it crazy detailed like Horizon did. Besides the Automata's world is really not big for people get lost. Halfway through Route A I took out the Map chip to make room for other offensive chips because I no longer needed the map.
c1d
(10-04-2017, 12:51 PM)
How representative is the demo? I really want to get into this but I just wasn't feeling it :(
RalchAC
(10-04-2017, 12:59 PM)
To all the people encouraging me to play the original, thank you. I'll see what the fuss is about in a while. After I finish this game I plan to spend less time playing for a few months, I need to catch up to other hobbies.

Originally Posted by Danjin44

I honestly love the map. I gives you nice general I dea with out make it crazy detailed like Horizon did. Besides the Automata's world is really not big for people get lost. Halfway through Route A I took out the Map chip to make room for other offensive chips because I no longer needed the map.

I don't have many feelings about the open world map. It feels like a means to an end TBH. Not being too big is a plus, and you can ride boars and deers to move faster.

I feel the core mechanics for a fun traversal system were there, but they didn't really fleshed them out with upgrades or something to make them truly shine.

I have to say I loved both the Amusement Park and the "Become as Gods" sequence. The former takes you off guard, being the first time you encounter a new area of non hostile machines it's easy to just go all out on a killing rampage.

The second one is quite unsettling in the way the missunderstand said human concept.

Originally Posted by c1d

How representative is the demo? I really want to get into this but I just wasn't feeling it :(

I'd say the story itself is more like a slow burn. The game doesn't babysit you in a narrative sense. There is a lot of information, and it's not thrown in a linear manner. I think actually sharing what I've played is helping me sink what I've done so far, if that makes any sense. You need to pierce the difference pieces together. I don't think a demo can showcase that.
emag
(10-04-2017, 01:03 PM)

Originally Posted by c1d

The demo (which is the introductory segment of the game) is very representative of the combat gameplay, but barely touches upon the story or RPG elements.
RalchAC
(10-07-2017, 11:30 AM)
Bumping the thread since I finished the game (I had like 17% sidequests undone, but it doesn't look like I'll do them any time soon).

Some thoughts:

- Ending C, strangely, seemed to be the bad one, which is a bit strange TBH. On the other hand, Ending D+E seem to be the "good" ones in a sense.
- With that said, I definitely considered that 2B could go back to live like it happens in end E. As long as their memories are intact, they should be able to restore her.

-What happens to Pascal and his village is terrible. Terrible! He was one of my favorite character, they knew it and decided to do it anyway. Same for what happens in the Amusement Park at the beginning of Act 3.
-After clearing the shmup credits for ending E, which would have been impossible without help. the game asked me if I wanted to help other people. I chose so. The game told me I would have to lose all my data in exchange. I said I was OK with it. I honestly wasn't completely sure it would actually happen. Hell it did. Mad respect for the people stupid enough to make the same choice as me.

Overall, a really cool game. Some really interesting stuff is explored here. The game dragged a little bit in the end to me, but it could be due to the sheer amount of sidequests I cleared. With that said.

Fuck you, Yoko Taro. FUCK YOU. See you in your next game -_-
Ferr986
(10-07-2017, 11:33 AM)

Bumping the thread since I finished the game (I had like 17% sidequests undone, but it doesn't look like I'll do them any time soon).

Some thoughts:

- Ending C, strangely, seemed to be the bad one, which is a bit strange TBH. On the other hand, Ending D+E seem to be the "good" ones in a sense.

I found both bad tbh in ending D you send those two twin fuckers to space. Those guys were literal madmen, no good in sending them to other planets lol

Pascal was the best part of the game finding him selling the robot children parts without knowing what they truly are when you wipe his memory and return to the village is sick. Fuck you Taro lol
McNagah
(10-07-2017, 11:37 AM)

The combat is definitely fine in that game and was fun at the time, however the dungeons (towers? forget what they are called) in the game are really boring and not fun whatsoever. A lot of my time with it involved pushing crates slowly, which made me not want to pick up the game anymore.
Aklamarth
(10-07-2017, 11:41 AM)
For what is worth it, i liked the original Nier A LOT more than Automata. They story + characters from the original are much better than the sequel.
RalchAC
(10-07-2017, 11:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Ferr986

I found both bad tbh in ending D you send those two twin fuckers to space. Those guys were literal madmen, no good in sending them to other planets lol

Pascal was the best part of the game finding him selling the robot children parts without knowing what they truly are when you wipe his memory and return to the village is sick. Fuck you Taro lol

I decided to hack him because that way at least you can hope that he'll go down the same path again and rebuild the village. But yeah, that's pretty unsettling.

I'd have told him to live with it, but machines don't seem to precisely have an instinct for self preservation, so...

About the endings, I don't really know. They're machines. They don't really need to go to a planet with organic life in order to keep doing their stuff. And they seemed to have learnt something considering they ditched the plans of launching a missile in the moon to destroy humanity's ADN bank.

Originally Posted by McNagah

The combat is definitely fine in that game and was fun at the time, however the dungeons (towers? forget what they are called) in the game are really boring and not fun whatsoever. A lot of my time with it involved pushing crates slowly, which made me not want to pick up the game anymore.

Right now I don't feel like playing another game made by him lol. I'll give it a try in a few months.
emiliano
(10-07-2017, 12:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Stygr

It's funny because Simone is an italian male name but the boss is clearly a female bio-machine, yes.. female bio-machine xD

In the japanese version she's called Beauvoir, her name is a reference to the french philosofer Simone de Beauvoir. Just like Jean Paul is named after Jean Paul Sartre.
Ferr986
(10-07-2017, 12:43 PM)

Originally Posted by McNagah

I liked the desert dungeon :(

I decided to hack him because that way at least you can hope that he'll go down the same path again and rebuild the village. But yeah, that's pretty unsettling.

I'd have told him to live with it, but machines don't seem to precisely have an instinct for self preservation, so...

About the endings, I don't really know. They're machines. They don't really need to go to a planet with organic life in order to keep doing their stuff. And they seemed to have learnt something considering they ditched the plans of launching a missile in the moon to destroy humanity's ADN bank.

Right now I don't feel like playing another game made by him lol. I'll give it a try in a few months.

I can't remember where but I'm sure I read Taro saying leaving him is the best way and he ends up being a key piece for a ceasefire between androids and robots.
Golnei
(10-07-2017, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Ferr986

I can't remember where but I'm sure I read Taro saying leaving him is the best way and he ends up being a key piece for a ceasefire between androids and robots.

It's left ambiguous whether that's due to Pascal himself or merely those following his teachings, so they left room for him to die.