• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

pantsmith
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:45 PM)
pantsmith's Avatar
This article, its ensuing fallout, and the response in this thread are great illustrations of the dangers of engaging with sloppy journalism and misleading headlines. Its a hit piece, plain and simple.

If anyone in this thread is still worked up about it, please watch his response video. Hes a hard working, passionate music critic who doesnt deserve any of this and calmly dissects each claim brought against him.

Also, the alt-right claim is so bunk considering hes basically a quintessential Northeastern Bernie bro.
Vire
DancingJesus
(10-07-2017, 02:50 PM)
Vire's Avatar
If the fader article put half as much effort or research into the rational on why he should be exposed as the people in this thread, I don’t think Fantano would be sliding out of this so easily.

As it stands, Fader has one big fat L on their forehead.
Wrestlemania
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:51 PM)
Wrestlemania's Avatar
What is misleading about the headline? This guy irrefutably has pandered to the alt-right. The headline is accurate. I really wonder if some people here defending him have read it.
kingocfs
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:58 PM)
kingocfs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wrestlemania

What is misleading about the headline? This guy irrefutably has pandered to the alt-right. The headline is accurate. I really wonder if some people here defending him have read it.

Correct. He recklessly panders to them to make money off of them. How old is this guy? He’s sitting there defending “meme culture” for 20 mins and takes absolutely no responsibility for enabling things that we said on his own platform. It’s kind of sad.
./revy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:07 PM)
I never got to see the actual videos since they were taken down but I kind of took everyone's word that they were not "obvious satire" while assuming Fantano was just fine in my book.

Seeing the response and examples of the videos themselves makes me feel like some of the posts in this thread were very, very special. Some points were solid. I don't need another alt-right bogeyman though. Too many real ones already.

Edit: My favorite part is how he never once brings up his wife despite all the allegations of him being a racist. I feel like I wouldn't be level-headed enough to avoid blowing up over that in particular.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:07 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by pantsmith

This article, its ensuing fallout, and the response in this thread are great illustrations of the dangers of engaging with sloppy journalism and misleading headlines. Its a hit piece, plain and simple.

If anyone in this thread is still worked up about it, please watch his response video. Hes a hard working, passionate music critic who doesnt deserve any of this and calmly dissects each claim brought against him.

Also, the alt-right claim is so bunk considering hes basically a quintessential Northeastern Bernie bro.

I did.... have you read anything I've posted in this thread

And he didn't dissect each claim.. in fact the biggest one he put on screen for 5 seconds.... you know the one where he participated with Sargon, Amazing Athiest and a bunch of other bigoted YouTubers to make a very racist, sexist, bigoted video that ended with him telling feminists to drink bleach?

That one. He didn't address that... he didn't really address Sargon either... and his addressing of Sam Hyde was to say he's joking, well that an play a game of pedantic distraction because the author interpreted Hyde saying he'd nail Dunah as he'd rape her (nail is a euphemism for sex after all)l so even though eventually they made a correction apparently just because Hyde only talked in detail about how he'd mutilate and disfigure Lena Dunham and beat her to death instead of also raping her that that counted as counteracting the criticism from the article. Also if you read this thread I pulled a lot of stuff he's had to say about Sam Hyde and how he greatly reduced Hyde's actions (such as directly contributing to a Neonazi website) to just a difference of opinion... in fact Sam Hyde directly complimented him on the aformentioned bigoted video (that again Fantano did in fact not address in his 21 minute video) to which I provided a transcript a few pages back, a compliment Fantano accepted.

Quintessential Sanders supporters don't in fact make a bigoted video with serial harassers, quintessential Sanders supporters don't in fact campaign to get a serial harasser unbanned from twitter, quintessential Sanders supporters don;t in fact call a serial their inspiration and quintessential don't associate with a literal neonazi by calling their actions (again donating to the Daily Stormer) "a difference of opinion"

I've had my run ins with Sanders supporters but I respect them enough to know that in fact none of them would engage in this sort of behaviour.
Noctis3
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:15 PM)
Damn. Some people on gaf just want to take everyone down.
Wrestlemania
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:20 PM)
Wrestlemania's Avatar

Originally Posted by Noctis3

Damn. Some people on gaf just want to take everyone down.

Damn. Some people on GAF just want to drive by shitpost because they haven’t bothered reading the thread and don’t have a single useful thing to say.
Oriel
(10-07-2017, 03:20 PM)
Oriel's Avatar
Sad to see Alt-Right talking points beginning to creep onto GAF.

If it walks like a Nazi and quacks like a Nazi.......
Vire
DancingJesus
(10-07-2017, 03:20 PM)
Vire's Avatar

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

I did.... have you read anything I've posted in this thread

And he didn't dissect each claim.. in fact the biggest one he put on screen for 5 seconds.... you know the one where he participated with Sargon, Amazing Athiest and a bunch of other bigoted YouTubers to make a very racist, sexist, bigoted video that ended with him telling feminists to drink bleach?

That one. He didn't address that... he didn't really address Sargon either... and his addressing of Sam Hyde was to say he's joking (and If you read this thread I pulled a lot of stuff he's had to say about Sam Hyde and how he greatly reduced Hyde's actions (such as directly contributing to a Neonazi website) to just a difference of opinion... in fact Sam Hyde directly complimented him on the aformentioned bigoted video (that again Fantano did in fact not address in his 21 minute video) to which I provided a transcript a few pages back, a compliment Fantano accepted.

Originally Posted by Oriel

Sad to see Alt-Right talking points beginning to creep onto GAF.

If it walks like a Nazi and quacks like a Nazi.......


He did acknowledge it actually he basically said that the overly extreme SJW can go kick rocks. He laughed at notion that this was something to be upset about and admitted he said this. The problem I see here is that there is no middle ground on this site sometimes. You are either with “us” or you are an alt right neo nazi, some of the posts in this thread are rather frightening in terms of their extreme nature. There is moral grey ground in between and to categorize Fantano in the same classification as pewdepie or Paul Joeseph is just incredibly disingenuous due to Fantanos largely progressive and liberal leanings.
nynt9
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:20 PM)
nynt9's Avatar

Originally Posted by Somnium

What privileges does the white ethnicity have over other ethnicities in the United States in 2017?

I'm assuming it's one that holds back other ethnicities? What are they?

After this post people are taking somnium's arguments seriously? I mean this is as blatant a showing of one's hand as it gets.
Noctis3
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Wrestlemania

Damn. Some people on GAF just want to drive by shitpost because they haven’t bothered reading the thread and don’t have a single useful thing to say.

I have read the thread. Thanks for asking. Just because I don't post doesn't mean I haven't read it, but YOUR shitpost is much appreciated.
Hubbl3
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Oriel

Sad to see Alt-Right talking points beginning to creep onto GAF.

If it walks like a Nazi and quacks like a Nazi.......

Beginning to creep into GAF? They've been around. I think more people are just starting to recognize them.
Camper Van Beethoven
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Vire

The problem I see here is that there is no middle ground on this site sometimes. You are either with “us” or you are an alt right neo nazi, some of the posts in this thread are rather frightening in terms of their extreme nature. There is moral grey ground in between and to categorize Fantano in the same classification as pewdepie or Paul Joeseph is just incredibly disingenuous due to Fantanos largely progressive and liberal leanings.

Sadly it’s not just this site.

There’s a large number of liberals who enjoy a good witch hunt as much as the conservatives that used to mock.
Sweeney Tom
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Oriel

beginning to creep onto GAF.

They've been here for a while. It just seems like finally we're starting to see bans happen for it because now it can't be denied what those people are
./revy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

Sadly it’s not just this site.

There’s a large number of liberals who enjoy a good witch hunt as much as the conservatives that used to mock.

It's spread into reality too, unfortunately. Political discussions with co-workers has become a "nod and politely listen to avoid being called alt-right for disagreeing with any single platform piece" despite the fact that I've voted - actually voted, unlike some people - democratic for almost every ballot since I could vote. We crossed the line in our intention to do good somewhere.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:33 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vire

He did acknowledge it actually he basically said that the overly extreme SJW can go kick rocks. He laughed at notion that this was something to be upset about and acknowledged he said this. The problem I see here is that there is no middle ground on this site sometimes. You are either with “us” or you are on alt right neo nazi, some of the posts in this thread are rather frightening in terms of their extreme nature. There is moral grey ground in between and to categorize Fantano in the same classification as pewdepie or Paul Joeseph is just incredibly disingenuous due to Fantanos largely progressive and liberal leanings.

See you don't actually get to make a bigoted video with actual bigots and laugh it off as no big deal... that's not actually how you debunk criticism...

And please what are extreme SJWs did you see the list from the video he did... they weren going after run of the mill social justice acitvism... he didn't tell some strawoman extreme SJWS to drink bleach he told regular social justice folks to drink bleach..


1. Why do you claim to speak for LGBT people, women, and ethnic minorities but when lgbt people, women, and ethnic minorities disagree with you, you harass them?

2. Do you realize that your war on language through political correctness has made you bedfellows with true rape culture?
In other words, Islam, the world’s most misogynistic ideology?

3. Do you want women to be equal or do you want women to be a protected class?
You can’t have both.
If you expect society to be treat women as equal with men, why don’t women have to take responsibility for their own safety?

4. What are you afraid will happen when you leave your “safe space”?

5. How can you possibly justify the idea that it’s somehow racist to disagree with black lives matter?
And yet it’s not racist when a black person tweets something like, “kill all white people.”

6. Are you aware the present is not the past?
Are you familiar with the concept of linear time?
Because you seem incredibly comfortable traveling back through time by talking about how bad things were for women, or black people, or whomever. And then by using some form of SJW magic, you then claim or imply that those problems in the past exist today.
Are you aware that this trick that you’re doing is not working? Why do you think that would work?

7. Why do you think that you can spend your entire life in a state of perpetual emotional immaturity?
Do you actually imagine that you’ll be able to stretch out your adolescence for your entire existence?

8. Did you know there are 13% more women in college right now than men?
So if the whole goal of feminism is “equality,” shouldn’t we have some men-only scholarships in order to equal everything out?


9. If feminism and egalitarianism are both about equal rights, than why does one start with a gendered prefix while the other one is entirely gender neutral?

10. What do you hope to gain by bringing back racial segregation?

11. When my grand-uncle was dropping bombs on London, did your grandparents get out of their bunkers in the morning to protest with signs that read, “Not all Nazis”?

12. Why do you think every cis white male is born racist?
Racism is a learned behavior.

13. How can you possibly say that the phrase “All Lives Matter” is somehow racist?
It sounds like someone the Dalai Lama would say.

14. Would you rather be right, or popular?
It seems like your primary objective is to score social points and get public validation.
You speak publicly in the same way that people write their dating profiles.
Stop trying to demonstrate how awesome you are, and get real.

15. So if a drunk man sleeps with a drunk woman, the woman is incapable of giving consent.
But the man is?

16. Is it really easier trying to spend all your life attempting to pacify the world and subdue all around you, instead of accepting that you are the person that has to change?

17. When I sing along with rap music, is it OK if I say the word “nigga”?

18. How do you reconcile your opinion that gender doesn’t matter or even exist with your need to invent new genders each day?

19. In your version of equality will white men ever have a voice in society or will white men always be too privileged to participate in discussion?

20. What makes you think that the power of censorship that you are so desperately trying to establish now will at no point be used against you?

21. Why is it that if a woman dresses sexy or even topless in public you support it, but if a female video-game character is dressed sexy, then you want her clothed more modestly?

22. What is your favorite song to sing really loud when you’re confronted with a different point of view?

23. Why are you afraid of dissenting opinions?
Your continued attempts to silence all opposition, either by smearing them publicly, or labeling their content as “hate speech” and having it removed, only serves to insulate your bubble even more and maintain your echo chamber.
It also prevents you from taking on new information and hearing different points of view.
Different points of view that are sometimes superior to yours.
Which tends to happen whenever I talk.

24. What is reverse racism? Like, what the actual fuck is it?
It’s just racism, right?

25. Do any of you people actually remember all the pronouns?
You know the list, right? The one with 76 fucking genders.


26. Why do you feel entitled to control what artists and entertainers are allowed to express?
Why do you think your sensibilities should be placed above the sensibilities of actual creators?

27. Have you ever considered that using the terms “racism” and “sexism” as haphazardly as you do to describe everything under the sun that makes you feel uncomfortable devalues the word to the point that it actually hurts the people who actually suffer from real racism and real sexism?
Have you ever fucking thought of that?


Those are not attacking some Extreme SJW nonsense (whatever that even fucking means), these are shitting on regular LGBT activists, regular BLM activists, regular feminists, every day people, every day minorities fighting for whatever they can get from their country, from their society....

That list with those people are who Fantano made a conscience decision to associate with and put his name to. This is the video that Sam Hyde congratulated him on, a congrats that Fantano accepted. He's has to own all that and he didn't not for a second.


Also btw I've actually called him simply a uesless liberal don't know if you're paying attention. Few have actually claimed he himself is alt-right, in fact the Fader did not even do that.
Sunster
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:35 PM)
Sunster's Avatar
I'll never understand how some of y'all stand by these youtubers like they are your own brother.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:38 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

Sadly it’s not just this site.

There’s a large number of liberals who enjoy a good witch hunt as much as the conservatives that used to mock.

There's no witch hunt.
Sweeney Tom
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Sunster

I'll never understand how some of y'all stand by these youtubers like they are your own brother.

It's easier for people with privilege to support others with privilege

The only way you get someone to stan someone else for 15 pages
Camper Van Beethoven
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

There's no witch hunt.

This is the definition of a witch hunt. Trying to bring him down through the people he is friends with or some jokes he made. The guy is so clearly not some militant alt right guy. He just is irreverent and not especially sensitive to the feelings of people who are looking for battles to fight online.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:48 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

This is the definition of a witch hunt. Trying to bring him down through the people he is friends with or some jokes he made. The guy is so clearly not some militant alt right guy. He just is irreverent and not especially sensitive to the feelings of people who are looking for battles to fight online.

Not even the Fader article said he was militant alt right... Is your bar literally that low...

He's a guy looking for battles to fight online, that video he made with Sargon and AA is literally exactly that.

Who you associate with, who you collaborate with is 100% relevant. This is not a with hunt it is an analysis of content he chose to share with the world. He made those decisions.
ssolitare
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Camper Van Beethoven

This is the definition of a witch hunt. Trying to bring him down through the people he is friends with or some jokes he made. The guy is so clearly not some militant alt right guy. He just is irreverent and not especially sensitive to the feelings of people who are looking for battles to fight online.

Not militant alt-right, but he partners with them, and can do so because he's not a target of them, but other people are, now aren't they.
pantsmith
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:04 PM)
pantsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

I did.... have you read anything I've posted in this thread

And he didn't dissect each claim.. in fact the biggest one he put on screen for 5 seconds.... you know the one where he participated with Sargon, Amazing Athiest and a bunch of other bigoted YouTubers to make a very racist, sexist, bigoted video that ended with him telling feminists to drink bleach?

That one. He didn't address that... he didn't really address Sargon either... and his addressing of Sam Hyde was to say he's joking, well that an play a game of pedantic distraction because the author interpreted Hyde saying he'd nail Dunah as he'd rape her (nail is a euphemism for sex after all)l so even though eventually they made a correction apparently just because Hyde only talked in detail about how he'd mutilate and disfigure Lena Dunham and beat her to death instead of also raping her that that counted as counteracting the criticism from the article. Also if you read this thread I pulled a lot of stuff he's had to say about Sam Hyde and how he greatly reduced Hyde's actions (such as directly contributing to a Neonazi website) to just a difference of opinion... in fact Sam Hyde directly complimented him on the aformentioned bigoted video (that again Fantano did in fact not address in his 21 minute video) to which I provided a transcript a few pages back, a compliment Fantano accepted.

Quintessential Sanders supporters don't in fact make a bigoted video with serial harassers, quintessential Sanders supporters don't in fact campaign to get a serial harasser unbanned from twitter, quintessential Sanders supporters don;t in fact call a serial their inspiration and quintessential don't associate with a literal neonazi by calling their actions (again donating to the Daily Stormer) "a difference of opinion"

I've had my run ins with Sanders supporters but I respect them enough to know that in fact none of them would engage in this sort of behaviour.

I get that we have to stand up against the hate and shittiness that infects our increasingly divisive world, but in your overzealousness you are defending a poorly constructed hit piece with logical errors and blatantly leading language.

As for Fantano’s sanctimonious rejection of the n-word — while it’s true that he doesn’t say it out loud, it still figures prominently on thatistheplan

Thatistheplan never released any parodies of white rock musicians.

It seems like Fantano isn’t just asking idle questions — he’s doing market research.

Consider how leading this language is, and how much of it relies on you agreeing with the author.

The case leveraged against Fantano in the article is that hes pandering to the alt-right, a case that I think is tennuously implied through manipultive language and framing, but also denies his ability to define what his actual intentions are (his video makes a great case for his intentions).

I dont think he has done nearly enough to warrant this kind of visceral reaction, especially understanding the broader context of his life, experience, and opinions.
blackflag
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:06 PM)
Not alt-right but partners with and is tweet buddies with Sargon...

Yeah right. Get fucked.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:14 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by pantsmith

I get that we have to stand up against the hate and shittiness that infects our increasingly divisive world, but in your overzealousness you are defending a poorly constructed hit piece with logical errors and blatantly leading language.







Consider how leading this language is, and how much of it relies on you agreeing with the author.

The case leveraged against Fantano in the article is that hes pandering to the alt-right, a case that I think is tennuously implied through manipultive language and framing, but also denies his ability to define what his actual intentions are (his video makes a great case for his intentions).

I dont think he has done nearly enough to warrant this kind of visceral reaction, especially understanding the broader context of his life, experience, and opinions.

I'm actually defending my own research.... Don't know if you noticed but I like did a lot.

That video alone with AA and Sargon and all the other merry bigots is in itself enough for evisceration.... which again I note he refused to address.

I think calling Sargon a political commentator and campaigning on his behalf is enough

I think reducing Sam Hydes neonazism to "a difference of opinion" is enough.
Spyder_Monkey
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:18 PM)
*Takes vape
Guys, maybe if we find a middle ground between the alt-right and everyone else everything will be all right.
Irnbru
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:23 PM)
Irnbru's Avatar
So much for the tolerant left bruhs


/s
Snowman Prophet of Doom
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:27 PM)
Snowman Prophet of Doom's Avatar
Sargon is a political commentator. A dumb, bad political commentator, one who gives pseudointellectual cover to scumbags, but a political commentator nonetheless.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:29 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snowman Prophet of Doom

Sargon is a political commentator. A dumb, bad political commentator, one who gives pseudointellectual cover to scumbags, but a political commentator nonetheless.

He's a misogynistic serial harasser... That's what he is.

We give him too much credit to erase the only thing he's ever really accomplished (harassing women on twitter) and call him but a political commentator.
Doctor Ironic
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:37 PM)
Doctor Ironic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vire

If the fader article put half as much effort or research into the rational on why he should be exposed as the people in this thread, I don’t think Fantano would be sliding out of this so easily.

As it stands, Fader has one big fat L on their forehead.

You still keep insisting this while failing to elaborate what’s so bad about the article without resorting to Fantano’s own video, literally the most biased source you could be drawing from.

There’s nothing wrong with the article.
pantsmith
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:37 PM)
pantsmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

I'm actually defending my own research.... Don't know if you noticed but I like did a lot.

That video alone with AA and Sargon and all the other merry bigots is in itself enough for evisceration.... which again I note he refused to address.

I think calling Sargon a political commentator and campaigning on his behalf is enough

I think reducing Sam Hydes neonazism to "a difference of opinion" is enough.

If we were in (internet) court, why type of sentence would you convict Anthony Fantano of? Guilt by proximity to shitty people? Appearing in someone else’s shitty video?

I’m not here as a huge fan of his work (though I respect his music reviews and advocacy), or a defender of his personal integrity, but I do think its important that a person is not unfairly labelled an alt-right sympathizer just because of their proximity to other people. The world isn’t black and white.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:45 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by pantsmith

If we were in (internet) court, why type of sentence would you convict Anthony Fantano of? Guilt by proximity to shitty people? Appearing in someone else’s shitty video?

I’m not here as a huge fan of his work (though I respect his music reviews and advocacy), or a defender of his personal integrity, but I do think its important that a person is not unfairly labelled an alt-right sympathizer just because of their proximity to other people. The world isn’t black or white.

Next to no one has actually labelled him alt-right. I've repeatedly just called him a useless liberal and not an ally. Engage with me and my actual arguments please, because if you're only conern is that he not be called alt-right... you're concern can be assuaged because I'm not doing that.

You realize appearing on someone's bigoted video is endorsing the content of said video.

He's at least guilty of apologizing for, downplaying and even yes occasional engaging directly in bigotry.

God do you have even an understanding of the horrible people he chooses to defend....


This is Sargon of Akkad.... he went into a store with his wife and kids, took a picture of an employee, who served his wife and child, who happened to be wearing a feminist shirt and posted it on the internet to all his followers

And this happened:

February isn’t my favourite month of the entire year, just because for a few years running I ended up in hospital and had major/ minor surgery on Valentine’s Day. But it really became the worst month of the year this weekend just gone. I went to work, first time being back in store since being in London for the Lush Summit. Everything was fine and dandy. Did a party with a group of really amazing girls. Got in the car to go home… and that’s when shit hit the fan.
I opened my phone to be greeted by what seemed like thousands of messages about how some misogynistic ‘YouTuber’ had come into my store and taken a photo of some girl who wore a shirt that said feminist that day. Who was that girl who wore the feminist shirt, I hear you ask? It was of course, me. So this piece of crap came into my work place, took my photo without my consent or knowledge and posted it online with my place of work for his trolls to find me and harass me. He incites hate, abuse and didn’t even bat an eyelid when they suggested to rape me…. They made fun of my weight, which is hilarious because they’re all bigger than me by far. They made fun of the fact that I was doing my job, I mean, God forbid I go to work and actually do my damn job. What really made me laugh was, I served his wife because she and his kids really love Lush! So the scumbag saw I was talking to his beloved wife and still decided to proceed with his awful, awful intentions.


https://lilythelostgirl.com/2017/02/...says-feminism/


These are the people the chooses to prop up, to defend, to literally collaborate with,

Like do you people not realize the real damage people like Sargon and Amazing Athiest and Hyde have done? Sargon was one of the most active participants in Zoe Quinn's utter dehumanization and harassment, she was driven out of her fucking house.

Better question... do you even care?
trebbble
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:25 PM)
Don’t you folks see? It’s about ethics in music journalism!
Snowybreak
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:29 PM)
Snowybreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by trebbble

Don’t you folks see? It’s about ethics in music journalism!

Ah fuck... I really, really hope that isn't where this is going.
Bounceounce
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:51 PM)
Bounceounce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oriel

Sad to see Alt-Right talking points beginning to creep onto GAF.

If it walks like a Nazi and quacks like a Nazi.......

If you're serious about what you're writing than this site has gone off the deep end with it's quest to absolute ideological obedience.
Fucking Nazi's, oh my god.
How are you able to function in the world thinking like this?

Originally Posted by Sweeney Tom

It's easier for people with privilege to support others with privilege

The only way you get someone to stan someone else for 15 pages

Which is why myself and other black Fantano fans across communities where similar memeing would also be prevalent are defending him.
Get out of here.
He's nothing like this other YouTubers in terms of the wrong they did, nor has he been like them in his various discussions of racial issues over the years.
PontyfaxJr
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:58 PM)
PontyfaxJr's Avatar
A close friend of mine was heavily into the Gamergate stuff and even appeared in a video with Sargon of Akkad where they were in a bar just shooting the shit.

Made me rethink my friendship (he seems to have largely moved passed that point in his life and become a little more normal again, thankfully) but it's easily enough for me to give up on a YouTuber I don't personally know.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:04 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bounceounce

If you're serious about what you're writing than this site has gone off the deep end with it's quest to absolute ideological obedience.
Fucking Nazi's, oh my god.
How are you able to function in the world thinking like this?
.

I like that you found the one guy who said that and painted the entire site as a result...
Poor GRIMES
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by pantsmith

Also, the alt-right claim is so bunk considering hes basically a quintessential Northeastern Bernie bro.

.....WEW

I can’t stop laughing
Fallout-NL
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:07 PM)
Fallout-NL's Avatar
never mind, wrong guy. was thinking of hyde, not sargon.
Ozigizo
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:07 PM)
Ozigizo's Avatar

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

I like that you found the one guy who said that and painted the entire site as a result...

I mean, that's what he's been doing for like 10 pages. Bounce is...cherry picking responses🤔🤔
Jombie
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:12 PM)
Jombie's Avatar
I don't think think Fantano is a nazi or part of the alt-right, but like a lot of other youtubers, he surely doesn't mind getting their support. And that's a problem in and of itself.

I read the article and watched his video and some of it comes off as disingenuous. He's free from criticism because he told some awful sexist troll that 'hey man, a lot of people are gonna be listening to this podcast!' Some of it was to stroke his own ego, as well.

In the media world, especially YT, you are guilty by association. I don't care about his stupid, unfunny meme videos. It's not the issue for me -- allowing some loser to go on and on about his murder-rape fantasy is.
Bounceounce
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:12 PM)
Bounceounce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ozigizo

I mean, that's what he's been doing for like 10 pages. Bounce is...cherry picking responses🤔🤔

I responded to the majority of people for the first part of the discussion.
How is that cherry picking.
And that poster is not the only person expressing this abuse obsession with everything being an absolute ideological lock-step and not the first person to bring up nazis.
What are you trying to imply about me now though with your thinkmoji?
Give me a rundown of my beliefs and stance on previous issues.
rjinaz
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:12 PM)
rjinaz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ozigizo

I mean, that's what he's been doing for like 10 pages. Bounce is...cherry picking responses����

That's what the cool headed moderates always do. It's a good deflection strategy. They see 20 posts of reasonable discourse, 1 post of a more extreme view, then 20 more reasonable discourse posts. and it's OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! You liberals on gaf are really going off the deep end!1!

I just want to say that I have been mad impressed excelsiorlef of not just how much research you have done but how far you have gone to defend your position, even if it has been almost completely ignored by those of the opposing view.
Atrophis
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:12 PM)
Atrophis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bounceounce

If you're serious about what you're writing than this site has gone off the deep end with it's quest to absolute ideological obedience.
Fucking Nazi's, oh my god.
How are you able to function in the world thinking like this?

One posters opinion isn't equivalent to "this site" which has thousands of posters all with their own view points. It's a shame someone has to spell this out to you.
Bounceounce
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:17 PM)
Bounceounce's Avatar

Originally Posted by rjinaz

That's what the cool headed moderates always do. It's a good deflection strategy. 20 posts of reasonable discourse, 1 post of a more extreme view, then 20 more reasonable discourse posts. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! You liberals on gaf are really going off the deep end!1!

I just want to say that I have been mad impressed excelsiorlef of not just how much research you have done but how far you have gone to defend your position, even if it has been almost completely ignored by those of the opposing view.

This is the fucking issue.
I could have been on the non-cool moderate side of an issue for ten of the damn threads on the issues on this site, then one topic comes up like this and suddenly I'm a freaking moderate because people here can't stand to see anything that doesn't live to their ideal definition of liberalism, when in reality they're just virtue signaling (a phrase I never thought I'd use, how many posts till that gets me labeled as alt-right).

It's disgusting and its more tribalism and a need for absolute obedience/purification than anything.
Nabs
(10-07-2017, 06:20 PM)
Nabs's Avatar
My guy, you may be consuming too much alt-right garbage. Watch what you eat.

I'm not calling you alt-right btw.
Bounceounce
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:20 PM)
Bounceounce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Atrophis

One posters opinion isn't equivalent to "this site" which has thousands of posters all with their own view points. It's a shame someone has to spell this out to you.

That stance is not the only one bringing up Nazi's in this thread, and even then its an example of the increasingly polarized line of what makes someone a proper liberal here, it's an example of what's been fostered here and is seen as a reasonable point.
Of course, now I'm sure I'll be labeled as portraying false victimhood, or that it's me "showing my ass" or "true beliefs", or that if I was ever "something" than my reaction this wouldn't be whatever it is.

Originally Posted by Nabs

My guy, you may be consuming too much alt-right garbage.

I'm not fucking alt-right.
I don't even watch h3h3 because of that shit like Hugh Mungus or what not, I have a record of that in my posts.
I'm far from what should be considered the defitnion of alt-right.
Edit:
I'm a lefty, I defended Hillary, I called out sexism against her, I rail against sexism against fictional characters, I was anti-pewdiepie/Jontron, what is this?
Vigilant Walrus
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 06:24 PM)
Vigilant Walrus's Avatar

Originally Posted by trebbble

Don’t you folks see? It’s about ethics in music journalism!

Look- right or wrong, that article is garbage. It's laced with inaccuracies, mischaractizations, cherry picked anecdotals and it's basked in juvenile pathos.

With that being said, and the article being a poorly researched op-ed masked as investigative journalism, it seems that excelsiorlef brought up some things that show that Anthony is not entirely disagreeable about everything.
You can come in and argue that the article is garbage, but being garbage and insufficient in it's burden of proof, doesn't mean that there cannot be some truth to pull out of it. So don't shitpost on the mere fact that people piss on that article, which clearly between the lines tries to derive a smearing campaign by the biased manner of which it presents the content to the reader.
This discussion reminds me of previous discussions we've had about collective blame, guilt by association, fanatism, dangerous platforms, free speech and about how hate is spread, how hate is dispelled.
This discussion has been going on and one with many subjects; South Park, Bill Maher, Joe Rogan, Dave Rubin, Sam Harris, Hitchens, Fallon, and so on and so on.
It's the same claims about normalizations and legitimizations, it's still the same accusations of labeling or condemning people for having a different idea about how to progress.

His stinkepieces reveal someting about his beliefs I think;

Paul Joseph Watson Rant < If you look at the comments it's one of his most down voted videos. Without checking for causation and correlation you could argue that there might be a not-(insignificant) statistical overlap of alt-right advocates who watch him?
But at the same time, it seems indefensible for the article to not take this rant into the article. It's such an omission that it frankly invalidates the credibility of that article in it's entirety.
It's clear that Anthony goes fucking hard on the alt right, using many of the same talking points many of us here have. If you had only seen this video and nothing else, you'd think he would be an average GAF member.
Yes it's true, the article doesn't directly claim he is alt-right, but it certainly insinuates it all over.

excelsiorlef, is correct I think in that, Anthony probably agrees with The Amazing Atheist and SOA and Hyde to a point. I get the impression that Anthony is not down wit radical feminists, trigger warnings, safe spaces and that sort of stuff. Which I mean, is a mainstream left-wing position to take. Most Democrats are not down with that. GAF is a very far-left leaning place and not really indicative of the larger world.
I don't believe in the guilt-by-association as a constant, but I do think Anthony has some blind spots.


The article completely missed the point of what he was saying about the mainstream left appropriating memes. He was critizing the mainstreams left reactionary response to everything the alt-right does. If the alt-right decides it wants to co-opt LGBT and BLM symbols tomorrow, the left will just piss its pants and bend over backwards giving up their symbols and acting like a PR machine.
That is a complex issue, because obviously, there is also an element of wanting to inform people of changes in language and symbolism. But it's a never ending battle of whos and whats.
So if Anthony believes that the Democrats are dumb for being a PR hype machine and announcing the alt-right to the world; being counter-productive as in, you block Milo from speaking his garbage in front of 150 disinterested people who will have forgotten about it the morning after, instead that speech block puts him in front of the largest network in the country, the same night, allowng him to connect to millions of conservatives who feel bullied by left wing ideas.
Followed by pointless double downing and refusal to own up to obvious miscommunication and failure to manipulate the right.

The article was disingenious in the way it misrepresented the TP meme. The article was soo poorly researched it didn't get that the videos were making fun of; not black rappers, but fans of hiphop. And FYI- GAF HOP makes many of the same stereotypical jokes about hopsin and j-cole fans. The article doesn't point out that he also eggs on white artists (just as much). It's not a stretch to call the article a poorly researched hitpiece.


But. Again- A shitty article does not make it exempt from looking at the needle drop critically. The tweets excelsiorlef posted with Anthony being cozy with the guys he interviewed? It demonstrates that these guys get into liberal recruitment because they argue from a place of common ground.

Trevor Noah is alt right for what he said about antifa, Stewart is a piece of shit for disliking Hillary, Colbert is just another white useless person taking apart in the genocide. It's the same fucking shit all over.
People on the far left are cannibalizing everyone else, because if you step outside the purity circle, you're called alt right and punched and thrown for the fucking wolves. And then a guy like the amazing atheist comes along, and he fights for a place where you can agree on.
The far regressive left-does everything in its power to bleed the base dry.
It's a toxic witch hunt that just helps the alt right, and then you bitch and moan about the world going conservative. It's going conservative partially because of this shit. People are not going to be able to live up to all of this. Be it women issue, abortion, bathroom bills, civil rights- On something, people are going to have blind spots. People are not monolithic entities, so you have biases in all people and all people will have blind spots, biases.
They are going to have ignorant holes. Anthony is clearly biased, and he has his blinds spot. Just like everyone else who is being demonized has.

But this collective blame game is just hurting the process.

He can be articulate and have some well mannered rants as well;

About Azelia Banks and the difference treatment of genders and mental illness
A rebuttal to a reporter asking how the LGBT can "handle" a guy like Tyler the Creator being gay
Arguing why it's not far to say alt-rock is alt right

Clearly Fantano is not someone who champions far-right people or ideas. Whatever number of his courtship who listens to him might be, it's despite the vast vast majority of his political beliefs.





TL;DR - excelsiorlef has a point that he failed to condemn the entirety of the values of those people he interviewed. It's also reasonable to assume that Anthony is someone who like the previous people/shows/podcasts mentioned is someone who beliefs that the truth will find its way out there, and that there is not as much harm in that.
At the same time, some posters here engaging in disingenuous dogpiling, passive aggressive threats, drive by shitposts to deliver a deflective pointless post while refusing to even watch the rebuttal of that one sided article. Posts that completely take the article as gospel. An article that completely fals the parameters of investigative reporting; that uses intellectually anecdotals, miscategorized proofs, sticks the events together to make the subject of the article looks worse, fails to argue or self-vet ones own biases. It has all the red flags a poor piece.
bangbang i'm a timpani
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:25 PM)
bangbang i'm a timpani's Avatar

Originally Posted by pantsmith

This article, its ensuing fallout, and the response in this thread are great illustrations of the dangers of engaging with sloppy journalism and misleading headlines. Its a hit piece, plain and simple.

If anyone in this thread is still worked up about it, please watch his response video. Hes a hard working, passionate music critic who doesnt deserve any of this and calmly dissects each claim brought against him.

Also, the alt-right claim is so bunk considering hes basically a quintessential Northeastern Bernie bro.

okay, again, explain the video that is filled with him agreeing with a bunch of crazy biggots

Thread Tools