• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Cerium
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:13 PM)
Cerium's Avatar
I think it's a game where you need to pace yourself and take it in chunks rather than trying to marathon it all at once. I've been alternating it with Stardew sessions.
JonnyKong
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:20 PM)
JonnyKong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cerium

I think it's a game where you need to pace yourself and take it in chunks rather than trying to marathon it all at once. I've been alternating it with Stardew sessions.

I think you're right, I've got Samus Returns arriving tomorrow so I'm going to start that and come back to GS.
Twookie
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:29 PM)
Twookie's Avatar
How long is this game?

I just arrived at the beach world/park and I kinda wish the game would end soon
Pastry
Banned
(10-06-2017, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Twookie

How long is this game?

I just arrived at the beach world/park and I kinda wish the game would end soon

lol youíve got like 10 hours to go
Twookie
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:40 PM)
Twookie's Avatar
oh fuck me, man

guess I'll try to complete this game by playing in short(er) spurts than I already am or something
Brewster's Wallet
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:03 AM)
Brewster's Wallet's Avatar
I have loved this game so far but I think I might already be done with it as I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the discs properly in disc golf. Which is sad as it's gated my progress to the rest of the game.
Cerium
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:11 AM)
Cerium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brewster's Wallet

I have loved this game so far but I think I might already be done with it as I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the discs properly in disc golf. Which is sad as it's gated my progress to the rest of the game.

Read the OP.

How do I control the disc?

Be the disc. Use left and right to turn. Controls are from the perspective of the disc. This is often referred to as "tank controls".

To manage the speed press the throw button (normal strength) rather than holding it down (power throw).

Scalpel Knight
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:13 AM)
Scalpel Knight's Avatar
I just got access to Oak Manor and I really like this area, haha. I was a bit fearful because just before that I had quit the game when I had to to the schmoozing in Tidy Park which appears to be a fatal bug for some.
gingerbeardman
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:07 AM)
gingerbeardman's Avatar
I've been playing on and off and am about 18.5 hours so far. Some short sessions, some long sessions.

just about to play Coach's Son at Blue Moon Dunes. I'm trying to do everything because I'll be really sad once this is over.

I loaded up both portable Mario Golf games earlier and this really is up there with them.
backflip10019
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:11 AM)
backflip10019's Avatar
How do I get the green ball in the mansion?
Cerium
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:31 AM)
Cerium's Avatar

Originally Posted by backflip10019

How do I get the green ball in the mansion?

You get it at the very end. You need to do the rest first; get the old lady watching the exit her book, her soda, and her dinner. Then go outside.
backflip10019
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:11 AM)
backflip10019's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cerium

You get it at the very end. You need to do the rest first; get the old lady watching the exit her book, her soda, and her dinner. Then go outside.

OMG I forgot I could leave with her not paying attention. Duh.
WoolyNinja
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:41 AM)
WoolyNinja's Avatar
I hit a ball off a cliff and the game made a few funny noises... then I realized my sound was off and my mind was blown that it was the HD Rumble! I then realized the sound of the ball going in the hole, etc was also the HD Rumble!!! WHAT!!!
jrcbandit
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:28 AM)
jrcbandit's Avatar
The Pro tournament is so frustrating. All the courses up until then have been easy for me. It's the combination of incredibly high wind, water everywhere (counts as 2 shots if goes in water), and every green is medium slope (difficult to predict how much ball speed and what angle to use when it is a 2D overhead representation ;p). I keep ending up in 2nd place with either a score of 1 or 2, I mean that would be a fantastic debut for an amateur going Pro, I should still win the game lol.
ScientificPizza
Banned
(10-07-2017, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by jrcbandit

The Pro tournament is so frustrating. All the courses up until then have been easy for me. It's the combination of incredibly high wind, water everywhere (counts as 2 shots if goes in water), and every green is medium slope (difficult to predict how much ball speed and what angle to use when it is a 2D overhead representation ;p). I keep ending up in 2nd place with either a score of 1 or 2, I mean that would be a fantastic debut for an amateur going Pro, I should still win the game lol.

Yeah I had the same problem, but I just banged my head against it until I finally won

As frustrating as the course was it was incredibly satisfying to beat it
Rodney McKay
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:39 AM)
Rodney McKay's Avatar
In Oak Manor, I can't get the second hole to register that I did it (I assume it turns blue once you do it).

I've tried sinking the ball in every hole in range, but nothing is working. Am I just not noticing the right hole, does the color not have to change from red to blue, or is it a bug?

Edit: figured it out, I was doing the manual ball drop instead of hitting A to "officially" do the hole. I made the same mistake hitting the balls into the skeletons.
mstevens
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:05 AM)
mstevens's Avatar
Powered through the last third of the game so I can try Stardew. Really enjoyed it overall. In fact, I think I like some of the golf mechanics more than Everybody's Golf. I really like precision mode and the ability to Tee up a few times per round.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I felt like I had really bad luck throughout the game. I never lost a match or anything (did have to repeat quite a few challenges) but I felt like if I could get screwed over by a pixel, I would. I don't know how many times I went in the water or bunker by the very last possible pixel. The hole-in-ones on Oak manor were like that too. I felt like I was in some cartoon western where I was shooting a perfect trace all around the outlaw.
one_kill
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:58 AM)
one_kill's Avatar
So in the mansion, how does one get the book? I feel like I'll hit myself after seeing the answer
dock
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:37 AM)
dock's Avatar
Iím enjoying Golf Story but I canít get my head around the controls. Thereís no guide anywhere in the game, and they seem so complicated.

Can anyone summarise them?

Can I swing a club anywhere somehow? I know I can press Y to drop a ball to hit, but sometimes this results in a ball being left on the ground.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(10-07-2017, 09:06 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by dock

Iím enjoying Golf Story but I canít get my head around the controls. Thereís no guide anywhere in the game, and they seem so complicated.

Can anyone summarise them?

Can I swing a club anywhere somehow? I know I can press Y to drop a ball to hit, but sometimes this results in a ball being left on the ground.


X throws a ball - hold down to increase power. This is also used to throw discs in disc golf
Y drops a ball on the ground to take a shot. Usually you can do this anywhere but you might run into a few spots where you canít. This is useful for things like hidden holes or just arsing about.

When taking a shot:
Left/right on the analog stick aims left/right
Up/down on the analog stick changes clubs
Press Y to go into Ďprecision modeí This lets you use up/down to move a Ďghostí target to where you want the ball to land. This shows you on the power bar where you need to press to get that distance. Bear in mind wind will affect this.
Press X to go into Ďspin modeí (not sure what its called exactlyí. You can move the red spot on the ball for side/top/back spin. In this game it is used in some challenges to get around obstacles but not that essential.
L/R bumpers are for top/back spin (you can see the overlay on the ball icon to show where the ball will be hit). You have to hold the bumper down until you press A to lock this in.
After finishing your aiming etc, press A to go into shot taking mode and then its your usual three click job.

For disc golf - you press/hold X to throw a disc, then the left analog to steer left/right. this is from the perspective of the disc so can be tricky to get used to
dock
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:13 AM)
dock's Avatar
Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?


I'm stuck on the game already because I keep being told to snoop in Lurker Valley, but I did everything I could in Lurker Valley. Does this game have some awkward progress triggers?
kami_sama
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:16 AM)
kami_sama's Avatar

Originally Posted by dock

Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?


I'm stuck on the game already because I keep being told to snoop in Lurker Valley, but I did everything I could in Lurker Valley. Does this game have some awkward progress triggers?

Focus mode makes the ball ignore wind and will make the white marker go slower when swinging.
Sardello
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:17 AM)
Sardello's Avatar

Originally Posted by one_kill

So in the mansion, how does one get the book? I feel like I'll hit myself after seeing the answer

You need to play the minigolf hole in that room. You can't do it unless you don't have the ball of the color of the flag of the same hole.
one_kill
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:21 AM)
one_kill's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sardello

You need to play the minigolf hole in that room. You can't do it unless you don't have the ball of the color of the flag of the same hole.

Yeah, but where is the ball located?

Thanks for the response btw Sardello

Edit: nvm, somehow pressing A everywhere worked. It was the bell
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(10-07-2017, 09:28 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by dock

Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?


I'm stuck on the game already because I keep being told to snoop in Lurker Valley, but I did everything I could in Lurker Valley. Does this game have some awkward progress triggers?

Yeah there are different modes by pressing up on the direction arrows.
Normal mode is normal
Focus mode ignores wind and swings slower
Power mode hits the ball further
Tee mode lets you put the ball on a tee anywhere, so is useful if youíre deep in a bunker or deep rough.

They have to be unlocked by finding items, and are limited use - I think you start with three and then they slowly recharge as you hit perfect shots.



As for lurker valley - you did the mini course and everything the caveman wants? How about finding the archeologist? Honestly you should be able to find everything by just walking around and talking to everyone. Make sure you check out all areas, and play the course by going to the pro shop.
dock
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:43 AM)
dock's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

As for lurker valley - you did the mini course and everything the caveman wants? How about finding the archeologist? Honestly you should be able to find everything by just walking around and talking to everyone. Make sure you check out all areas, and play the course by going to the pro shop.

I did every challenge I could. I canít play the course because there is a missing idol. I need a shovel or similar for the archaeologist. Iíve bought every item available and the only challenge I havenít done is Holey Moley 2.
CoolS
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:54 AM)
CoolS's Avatar
Found the final cache on the world map. What do I get for it? The cacher in the soda bar won't react to it.
CoolS
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:55 AM)
CoolS's Avatar

Originally Posted by dock

I did every challenge I could. I canít play the course because there is a missing idol. I need a shovel or similar for the archaeologist. Iíve bought every item available and the only challenge I havenít done is Holey Moley 2.

you can equip different clubs
dock
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:21 AM)
dock's Avatar

Originally Posted by CoolS

you can equip different clubs

Thanks for the help!

Wow, the UX for this game is awful. Thereís no indication of current club in the non-golfing sections.

Now Iím stuck because I have to appease a turtle I havenít seen, and find some baby turtles that I havenít the first idea where to look. Iím apparently terrible at this game.
Hasney
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:26 AM)
Hasney's Avatar

Originally Posted by CoolS

Found the final cache on the world map. What do I get for it? The cacher in the soda bar won't react to it.

Go to the fairy at the fop of the Blue Oaks course
duckroll
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:52 AM)
duckroll's Avatar
Didn't have time in the past few days to continue. Just picked it up again yesterday and have had one freeze per day so far. It just locks up during an animation (in this most recent case in the middle of a golf swing I'm attempting), or a cutscene just doesn't process properly. All these little annoyances pile up, and I'm having really bad luck with these bugs lol!

Solving a "murder mystery" seems fun though! I like the variety of random shit in the game's story. :)
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(10-07-2017, 11:04 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

Didn't have time in the past few days to continue. Just picked it up again yesterday and have had one freeze per day so far. It just locks up during an animation (in this most recent case in the middle of a golf swing I'm attempting), or a cutscene just doesn't process properly. All these little annoyances pile up, and I'm having really bad luck with these bugs lol!

Solving a "murder mystery" seems fun though! I like the variety of random shit in the game's story. :)

I think you had all of mine - been pretty plain sailing for me. I had one situation where I couldnít exit galf but I didnít lose any progress and then just avoided it.
Spades
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:13 AM)
Spades's Avatar
Just got to the bit where you have to play disc golf and itís honestly making me never want to pick up the game ever again.
brerwolfe
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:22 AM)
brerwolfe's Avatar

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

Yeah if you're actually on the green you're only allowed to use the putter. As this is how golf works.

That's not true at all. Lots of pros have chipped while on greens. Hell, Brandt Snedeker chipped while on a green at Augusta.
duckroll
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:30 AM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

I think you had all of mine - been pretty plain sailing for me. I had one situation where I couldnít exit galf but I didnít lose any progress and then just avoided it.

If all my minor pain made it better for anyone else, then it was worth it! I don't believe luck transfers that way though. :P
gingerbeardman
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:35 AM)
gingerbeardman's Avatar

Originally Posted by dock

Iím enjoying Golf Story but I canít get my head around the controls. Thereís no guide anywhere in the game, and they seem so complicated.

Press - on any screen to see context sensitive controls. See FAQ in the OP.

Originally Posted by dock

Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?

open Story menu option. See FAQ in the OP.

Originally Posted by mrklaw

I had one situation where I couldnít exit galf but I didnít lose any progress and then just avoided it.

You can only quit GALF during a round. Not from its menu screen. See FAQ in the OP.

Originally Posted by Spades

Just got to the bit where you have to play disc golf and itís honestly making me never want to pick up the game ever again.

Be the disc. Use left and right to turn. Controls are from the perspective of the disc. This is often referred to as "tank controls". To manage the speed press the throw button (normal strength) rather than holding it down (power throw). See FAQ in the OP.

Watch out as up/down can greatly affect your distance, so I find it easier to not use them.

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

Yeah if you're actually on the green you're only allowed to use the putter. As this is how golf works.

I think during a round you can use any club on the green but on specific putting challenges you can only use the putter?

Originally Posted by dock

Wow, the UX for this game is awful. Thereís no indication of current club in the non-golfing sections.

Press each of the d-pad buttons to change/see current club selection for each club type: driver, iron, wedge, putter.

Originally Posted by dock

Now Iím stuck because I have to appease a turtle I havenít seen, and find some baby turtles that I havenít the first idea where to look. Iím apparently terrible at this game.

You never really see the turtle you just need to find the idol item. The baby turtles are dotted around the course. Bring them to the yellow markers. You should not expect handholding in this game, each challenge is a puzzle to be solved.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(10-07-2017, 11:41 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar
Finished the game and now find out you have an up/down control on discs. Never needed them though - for long shots I just threw it harder.
gingerbeardman
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:47 AM)
gingerbeardman's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Finished the game and now find out you have an up/down control on discs. Never needed them though - for long shots I just threw it harder.

They're more hassle than they're worth. I play like you, using only left/right and power.

Speaking of disc: did anybody manage to change the colour of all the poles from red to green on the Blue Moon Dunes disc challenge? I played and failed the challenge repeatedly so I could try, but two of them seem to have no collision detection so I had to give up. Annoying.
dock
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:17 PM)
dock's Avatar
Those brown things were turtles all along?! I thought they were badly drawn gophers!!
Majora
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:25 PM)
Can't believe how many people have had trouble with disc golf. Just steer it left or right! Did the people having problems never play any top-down racing games or something?
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:17 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar
I think I might be stuck, but not sure.

I'm in the Mansion and doing the murder mystery. I got the token, went into the room but didn't have the yellow ball. I'm told I need to just 'wait' now.
lotufo
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 02:25 PM)
lotufo's Avatar

Originally Posted by TarpitCarnivore

I think I might be stuck, but not sure.

I'm in the Mansion and doing the murder mystery. I got the token, went into the room but didn't have the yellow ball. I'm told I need to just 'wait' now.

Search the golf bags in the room. It's there.
mentallyinept
Banned
(10-07-2017, 02:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Majora

Can't believe how many people have had trouble with disc golf. Just steer it left or right! Did the people having problems never play any top-down racing games or something?

It's funny, I got the R/C minigame on the first try because I've played several games with those controls, but I've never played a disc golf game so I expected it to be different... for some reason?
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:38 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by lotufo

Search the golf bags in the room. It's there.

Hm, I did that and nothing came up but I'll do it again. Thanks
Salaadin
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:13 PM)
Salaadin's Avatar
Anyone aware of any glitches during the oak manor minion quest? I stand on the green circle, tee up, hit the target, and nothing happens...
heckmanimation
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:31 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar
Impressing Max shouldnt have taken as long as it did. Worst quest yet
Plainsong
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 03:44 PM)
Plainsong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Majora

Can't believe how many people have had trouble with disc golf. Just steer it left or right! Did the people having problems never play any top-down racing games or something?

Took me quite a few attempts then it clicked and I got it easily.

Just started this morning with this and when I looked up it was 4 hours later. Loving it so far. Just opened up the soda bar now I'll take a break.
Chase17
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:51 PM)
Chase17's Avatar
Stuck in the second area.

Where can I find a shovel (or a substitute for one)?
Plainsong
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 04:55 PM)
Plainsong's Avatar
Check your inventory. Clubs specifically.
Cerium
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:33 PM)
Cerium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Salaadin

Anyone aware of any glitches during the oak manor minion quest? I stand on the green circle, tee up, hit the target, and nothing happens...

You need eyes. Look for them around the manor.

Thread Tools