• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 10:34 AM)
Markitron's Avatar
Of the games on this system I have previously only played Street Fighter, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Donkey King Country and Super Mario World (which I only played for an hour or two). I'm dying to finally play FF6 so I'll start there. After that it's Super Metroid and then Link to the Past and Earthbound.

I'm not much of a retrogamer, but I love some of the later games in these series', so I think I should probably give them a try. I normally would never play such old games for the first time out of fear that there's no way I'd be able to enjoy them. Guess I'll find out in a few days.
Ninja Dom
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:35 AM)
Ninja Dom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bucket-o-roadkill

I've preordered with argos and haven't heard anything. I look on their site and it says in my account that I've preordered the mini snes but when I select it, the site just says they don't sell it anymore... Which is concerning.

I preordered with Argos too. They contacted me via text message yesterday to say delivery will be on the 29th.

Have you paid for it? Cos when I preordered back in June they immediately took payment.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:35 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar
Yesterday I caught a failed transaction just in time. Thank god for Best Buy's 24 hour grace period.
Rellik
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:37 AM)
Rellik's Avatar

Originally Posted by STI

Why?

Because it's ugly as fuck and hilarious to look at. But the OP is great just for the pure salt on display from NeOak
JohnSpartanLee
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:37 AM)
JohnSpartanLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by tomwhite2004

That was just a dodgy video assuming you are talking about the gamexplain one. Every other one I have seen points to solid performance. I don't think Nintendo would dare release an emulator that dropped frames like that.

It is from GameXplain again but it's a new one (from yesterday): https://youtu.be/JFfoMkIsFeA
Maybe they just have bad video capturing...I agree it should be unlikely for Nintendo to release it in this state.

Originally Posted by Fox1304

Haven't noticed anything for the moment, but only played for a small amount of time.
I'll check later.

Thanks in advance!
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 10:39 AM)
Markitron's Avatar
Anyone know how Amazon UK treat failed transactions? I'm not paid till the early hours of Thursday morning so if they charge me beforehand it won't go thru. Bit worried they will cancel my order.
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:39 AM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar
Could everybody please stop with the NTSC/PAL wars already? Let's focus on what's really important:

... can the SNES Classic Mini be hacked like the NES Classic Mini? :P

All signs point to a resounding "Nintendo don't care", but I'd love to have confirmation from someone who already has the console.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:41 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by JohnSpartanLee

It is from GameXplain again but it's a new one (from yesterday): https://youtu.be/JFfoMkIsFeA
Maybe they just have bad video capturing...I agree it should be unlikely for Nintendo to release it in this state.


Thanks in advance!

Apparently they reuploaded it. The capture looks fine, and I don't notice the thing you're talking about.
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 10:42 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

Could everybody please stop with the NTSC/PAL wars already?

It's never gonna stop until people stop defending the awful US design :)
Last edited by Markitron; 09-26-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Blizzard
Nicest LoL player, tallest midget
(09-26-2017, 10:47 AM)
Blizzard's Avatar
Maybe preferences on designs can differ, and we can live in peace without insulting those who prefer or use either one. I think we can all enjoy the console without needing to feel superior.
JohnSpartanLee
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:49 AM)
JohnSpartanLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

Apparently they reuploaded it. The capture looks fine, and I don't notice the thing you're talking about.

At first glance it does. But if you look at their comparison vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPEEHOq8aQ#t=42s you'll see SMK doesn't run as smooth as it's supposed to. On Wii U it's perfect 60fps while on the Classic it looks more like 45-48fps.
And that's how it also looks in the new vid. Definitely above 30fps but not perfectly smooth 60fps.
MisterHero
Super Member
(09-26-2017, 10:50 AM)
MisterHero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Markitron

It's never gonna stop until people stop defending the awful US design :)

The EU version should come without Earthbound and Mario RPG and 50hz for true representation

Then we'll talk :)
BloodOmenPT
Junior Member
(09-26-2017, 10:53 AM)
BloodOmenPT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Markitron

Anyone know how Amazon UK treat failed transactions? I'm not paid till the early hours of Thursday morning so if they charge me beforehand it won't go thru. Bit worried they will cancel my order.

They usually send you an e-mail warning you that your credit card failed to authorize payment and give you the chance to choose a new payment method.

But what I fail to understand is why there are so many people worried with a problem like this, if you don't have enough money in your bank account to buy something you pre-ordered at the time of release, then you have bigger problems in your life...
wetflame
Pizza Dog
(09-26-2017, 10:54 AM)
wetflame's Avatar
The only people defending the US version are going to be people who grew up with a US SNES and are nostalgic about it. The design is just awful. Japan/EU SNES is much better.

Looking forward to getting hold of this on Friday. I have a Pi already but the form factor and the controllers will make this much more fun to play around with.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 10:57 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by JohnSpartanLee

At first glance it does. But if you look at their comparison vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPEEHOq8aQ#t=42s you'll see SMK doesn't run as smooth as it's supposed to. On Wii U it's perfect 60fps while on the Classic it looks more like 45-48fps.
And that's how it also looks in the new vid. Definitely above 30fps but not perfectly smooth 60fps.

May sound cliche but I still can't notice the difference. Have you tried other places and see if they have capture comparisons? You'd think Digital Foundry would be into this.
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 10:57 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

But what I fail to understand is why there are so many people worried with a problem like this, if you don't have enough money in your bank account to buy something you pre-ordered at the time of release, then you have bigger problems in your life...

Well this is just downright condescending.
tomwhite2004
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:03 AM)
its has to be an issue with their capture, just look at the flickering shadow cast by the start lights.
BloodOmenPT
Junior Member
(09-26-2017, 11:03 AM)
BloodOmenPT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Markitron

Well this is just downright condescending.

No, its an opinion, eveyone has the right to have one, even you saying its condescending.
I just said that I don't understand, I didn't condone anyone in particular. I don't spend what I don't have expecting to probably have it in a certain time frame. You're free to do what you want with your life. But this right here is why I see so meny people loosing their houses or going bankrupt in my country, they overspend and don't think about the future. I've seen it with friends and still can't understand their mentality towards the subject, I've lost a couple of (bad friends) because I wouldn't lent them money to buy something non-essencial because they didn't have money at the time but they expected to have some later on.
Fraxin
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:05 AM)
Fraxin's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterHero

The EU version should come without Earthbound and Mario RPG and 50hz for true representation

Then we'll talk :)

Wouldn't mind it, that is if they include Terranigma instead.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:05 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

No, its an opinion, eveyone has the right to have one, even you saying its condescending.
I just said that I don't understand, I didn't condone anyone in particular. I don't spend what I don't have expecting to probably have it in a certain time frame. You're free to do what you want with your life. But this right here is why I see so meny people loosing their houses or going bankrupt in my country, they overspend and don't think about the future. I've seen it with friends and still can't understand their mentality towards the subject, I've lost a couple of (bad friends) because I wouldn't lent them money to buy something non-essencial because they didn't have money at the time but they expected to have some later on.

Motherfuckers here ain't losing a house over a plug-n-play, dude.
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 11:07 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

No, its an opinion, eveyone has the right to have one, even you saying its condescending.
I just said that I don't understand, I didn't condone anyone in particular. I don't spend what I don't have expecting to probably have it in a certain time frame. You're free to do what you want with your life. But this right here is why I see so meny people loosing their houses or going bankrupt in my country, they overspend and don't think about the future. I've seen it with friends and still can't understand their mentality towards the subject, I've lost a couple of (bad friends) because I wouldn't lent them money to buy something non-essencial because they didn't have money at the time but they expected to have some later on.

Yes, it's a condescending opinion. Projecting your experiences onto others in a thread about a Ł70 console is an unnecessary derailment. I suggest you start a thread in the OT forum if these issues bother you so much.
ScaryShark
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:08 AM)
ScaryShark's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

No, its an opinion, eveyone has the right to have one, even you saying its condescending.
I just said that I don't understand, I didn't condone anyone in particular. I don't spend what I don't have expecting to probably have it in a certain time frame. You're free to do what you want with your life. But this right here is why I see so meny people loosing their houses or going bankrupt in my country, they overspend and don't think about the future. I've seen it with friends and still can't understand their mentality towards the subject, I've lost a couple of (bad friends) because I wouldn't lent them money to buy something non-essencial because they didn't have money at the time but they expected to have some later on.

I'm glad I came in this thread to see someone make wide ranging judgements on someone's financial situation after they asked an innocuous question and to look for the slightest opening to pontificate about financial responsibility. For fuck's sake dude.
RionaaM
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:08 AM)
RionaaM's Avatar
I wish I could find one here in South America, for a reasonable price. I don't care if it's the US or European version. Sadly none of the Amazon stores are selling it (or if they are, it's a reseller).
BloodOmenPT
Junior Member
(09-26-2017, 11:09 AM)
BloodOmenPT's Avatar

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

Motherfuckers here ain't losing a house over a plug-n-play, dude.

Thany you for adding such a quality quote to the discussion and totally missing the big picture. For more information, go learn about the Greek (and to a lesser extent, the Portuguese and Irish) situation.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:12 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

Thany you for adding such a quality quote to the discussion and totally missing the big picture. For more information, go learn about the Greek (and to a lesser extent, the Portuguese and Irish) situation.

Motherfuckers ain't plunging their economy to debt through borrowing over a plug-n-play, dude.
E_Darkness
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:15 AM)
E_Darkness's Avatar
I only just discovered I need a power adapter in Europe. Will any USB power adapter work? I have a bunch because phones. I do not fancy going out and getting a new one.

Typical Nintendo, expecting us to have a smartphone, again.
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 11:16 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

Thany you for adding such a quality quote to the discussion and totally missing the big picture. For more information, go learn about the Greek (and to a lesser extent, the Portuguese and Irish) situation.

Mate, seriously, nobody gives a shit. Go and regurgitate your recently read articles somewhere else, we're talking about Metroid and Mario here.

Originally Posted by E_Darkness

I only just discovered I need a power adapter in Europe. Will any USB power adapter work? I have a bunch because phones. I do not fancy going out and getting a new one.

Typical Nintendo, expecting us to have a smartphone, again.

You don't need an AC adaptor, just plug it into your TV (or receiver if you have one), that should power it.
Robin64
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:17 AM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by E_Darkness

I only just discovered I need a power adapter in Europe. Will any USB power adapter work? I have a bunch because phones. I do not fancy going out and getting a new one.

Typical Nintendo, expecting us to have a smartphone, again.

Yeah, all the ones you have lying around from phones will work. As will a PC, a TV's USB socket, etc.
ViciousDS
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:17 AM)
ViciousDS's Avatar
Isn't the snes version of FFVI the superior one? I never actually got to complete it in full and it's still my favorite story of any FF

Also have never played earthbound over here in the states so I'm excited to go into that blind
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:17 AM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar

Originally Posted by E_Darkness

I only just discovered I need a power adapter in Europe. Will any USB power adapter work? I have a bunch because phones. I do not fancy going out and getting a new one.

Typical Nintendo, expecting us to have a smartphone, again.

Yep. Any microUSB cable will do.

Also, "my freedom of speech!" in an SNES Classic Mini thread. Come on.

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

Isn't the snes version of FFVI the superior one? I never actually got to complete it in full and it's still my favorite story of any FF

Also have never played earthbound over here in the states so I'm excited to go into that blind

It's definitely the best. Or at least tied for the best, if you take into account the restoration patches for the GBA version.
E_Darkness
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:18 AM)
E_Darkness's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

Yep. Any microUSB cable will do.

Also, "my freedom of speech!" in an SNES Classic Mini thread. Come on.

I mean the power adapter part, not the cable. It comes with a cable.
Robin64
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:18 AM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

Isn't the snes version of FFVI the superior one? I never actually got to complete it in full and it's still my favorite story of any FF

The GBA one is probably the best, especially if you patch in the original palette and high quality music. It added a bunch of content the SNES one doesn't have. But the SNES one does crap all over the PSX one.
Harbinger of War
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:18 AM)
Harbinger of War's Avatar
To anyone who already has an SNES Classic and also has an NES Classic: When you use your SNES controller on the NES, which buttons does it use? B/A or Y/B? Really hoping it's Y/B, would make it a nice 2nd controller in case Nintendo doesn't produce more NES controllers next year alongside the console.
RionaaM
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:18 AM)
RionaaM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blizzard

Maybe preferences on designs can differ, and we can live in peace without insulting those who prefer or use either one. I think we can all enjoy the console without needing to feel superior.

Pfft, you're asking too much of your average internet user.
BloodOmenPT
Junior Member
(09-26-2017, 11:19 AM)
BloodOmenPT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Markitron

Mate, seriously, nobody gives a shit. Go and regurgitate your recently read articles somewhere else, we're talking about Metroid and Mario here.

First, I wasn't talkin to you, it was to the village idiot. Second, I don't need to read articles, I'm living it. And we're done here.
ViciousDS
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:19 AM)
ViciousDS's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

The GBA one is probably the best, especially if you patch in the original palette and high quality music. It added a bunch of content the SNES one doesn't have. But the SNES one does crap all over the PSX one.


Sweet the only one I ever had was the psx version and it felt odd with slow transitions to everything at times.
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 11:20 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

The GBA one is probably the best, especially if you patch in the original palette and high quality music. It added a bunch of content the SNES one doesn't have. But the SNES one does crap all over the PSX one.

I was under the impression that the PSN version is absolutely terrible, that's why I haven't bothered with it. Are you referring to the actual PS1 disc version? I always assumed it had the same problems as the PSN version.
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:20 AM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar

Originally Posted by E_Darkness

I mean the power adapter part, not the cable. It comes with a cable.

Sorry. Yes, I meant that anything you can plug a USB-to-microUSB cable to will work.
jacobeid
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:20 AM)

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

They usually send you an e-mail warning you that your credit card failed to authorize payment and give you the chance to choose a new payment method.

But what I fail to understand is why there are so many people worried with a problem like this, if you don't have enough money in your bank account to buy something you pre-ordered at the time of release, then you have bigger problems in your life...

I have tens of thousands of dollars sitting in a savings account and just depending on what card I use (I.e., debit card on a Thursday night) I could be in the same situation as that poster. Condescending and unnecessary as fuck.

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

First, I wasn't talkin to you, it was to the village idiot. Second, I don't need to read articles, I'm living it. And we're done here.

Yeah, feel free to leave. We won't miss those kinds of posts.
Last edited by jacobeid; 09-26-2017 at 11:23 AM.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:20 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

First, I wasn't talkin to you, it was to the village idiot. Second, I don't need to read articles, I'm living it. And we're done here.

Finally he gets what I really am. Thank you sir, for deducing my true being.
Robin64
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:21 AM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Markitron

I was under the impression that the PSN version is absolutely terrible, that's why I haven't bothered with it. Are you referring to the actual PS1 disc version? I always assumed it had the same problems as the PSN version.

Yeah, they're one and the same. It's such a slow experience.
JohnSpartanLee
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:22 AM)
JohnSpartanLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

May sound cliche but I still can't notice the difference. Have you tried other places and see if they have capture comparisons? You'd think Digital Foundry would be into this.

I can definitely see a difference in smoothness when I watch at the Wii U footage on the right and then the Classic on the right.

But in this DF Preview Video of the Classic the emulation looks perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7clAI1DoM

So it's really probably just GameXplain.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:23 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by JohnSpartanLee

I can definitely see a difference in smoothness when I watch at the Wii U footage on the right and then the Classic on the right.

But in this DF Preview Video of the Classic the emulation looks perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7clAI1DoM

So it's really probably just GameXplain.

Well I guess that solves that worry for now.
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 11:23 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by BloodOmenPT

First, I wasn't talkin to you, it was to the village idiot. Second, I don't need to read articles, I'm living it. And we're done here.

Firstly; I was the one you originally targeted for your off-topic condescending nonsense so forgive me chiming in on the discussion. Secondly; going wildly off topic, attacking people's financial situation for no reason and calling people 'village idiot' is a good way of getting banned. We wouldn't want to be deprived of your intelligent opinions on important world matters now would we?
JohnSpartanLee
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:24 AM)
JohnSpartanLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

Well I guess that solves that worry for now.

Yes. Looking forward to friday!
ViciousDS
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:24 AM)
ViciousDS's Avatar
Walmart says Monday delivery.......NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Whatever just recently bought a 2DSXL for Pokémon, guess I'll play that -sigh-
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(09-26-2017, 11:26 AM)
Markitron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

Yeah, they're one and the same. It's such a slow experience.

I don't have a GBA so the SNES version is the way to go then yea?
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(09-26-2017, 11:26 AM)
BGBW's Avatar

Originally Posted by Daffy Duck

Smyths Toys have sent my order.

Lucky. Not received an email yet.
Beren the Empty-Handed
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:31 AM)
Beren the Empty-Handed's Avatar

Originally Posted by shiftymorgan

Mystical ninja was a great co-op game for me and my brother, such a shame its not on there.

Out of interest, what would you trade for it if you could?
They are all cracking games but I would probably swap out Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for it.

Its rock solid and I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

The rest are amazing though

I'd ditch F-Zero. Sorry, everyone, but lack of multiplayer for a racing game makes me a sad elephant.
tomwhite2004
Member
(09-26-2017, 11:35 AM)

Originally Posted by JohnSpartanLee

I can definitely see a difference in smoothness when I watch at the Wii U footage on the right and then the Classic on the right.

But in this DF Preview Video of the Classic the emulation looks perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7clAI1DoM

The footage in that DF video is all captured from real hardware though, not a snes classic.

Thread Tools