• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Dark Orchid
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:19 PM)
Dark Orchid's Avatar
So I dug this old thing out recently:


I used to read through this thing daily when I was waiting for G/S to come out in 2000, wondering how some things in the game would work and how the new Pokemon played. Upon retrospect... maybe this guide wasn't exactly the best translation.

Good old Gym Leader Lance and his Charmander:


There's something about the Congratulations! box combined with the fact that they just stopped taking screenshots of the game at Kanto and used the R/B map that was cracking me up:


This one's just a real gem:


Clear Skies, Fire Rain, same deal:


Alright you know what? The weird translations here for the most part were worth it for SONG OF DESTRUCTION:

Crayolan
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:29 PM)
Crayolan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dark Orchid

So I dug this old thing out recently:


I used to read through this thing daily when I was waiting for G/S to come out in 2000, wondering how some things in the game would work and how the new Pokemon played. Upon retrospect... maybe this guide wasn't exactly the best translation.

"Kurimuzon" being a tough translation to english is cracking me up.
Nocturnowl
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:29 PM)
Nocturnowl's Avatar
fire rain sounds like a legit later gen fire utility move
Prodigenius10
Junior Member
(09-22-2017, 01:32 PM)
Prodigenius10's Avatar

Originally Posted by WrenchNinja

Aww yeah let's go Johto boys and girls

The one true king.
Andrefpvs
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:34 PM)
Andrefpvs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyzer

I remember scouring the net and reading walkthroughs for the game with all the names in Japanese, and the hype around reading blurbs like these after living in a world with ~151 pokemon was through the roof:

Stuff like this was available in a lot of shops, and as a kid you couldnt go anywhere, not even gift shops, without seeing all of the latest pokemon cards for sale:

And of course, the eventual commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgFVvnFNYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849zPOUgFIc


I love posts like this! It was like I was living in that time again. The time of information being randomly scattered around the internet, and every time you came across artwork or a TCG card of a new Pokémon in blurry quality you couldn't help the feeling that your were looking at something very foreign and mystical.
Gridlock
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:36 PM)
Gridlock's Avatar
I don't need this, I don't need this. I still have Monster Hunter Stories to finish which turned out to be a amazing fucking game and the Witcher 3 to go back to before Ultra Moon comes out. I don't need this, I don't need this.
Windam
Scaley member
(09-22-2017, 01:36 PM)
Windam's Avatar
Miltank used roll out! It's super effective! Quilava fainted!
hardcastlemccormick
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:37 PM)
hardcastlemccormick's Avatar
I never got to play Crystal, hopefully they release that soon. I’d also like to play one of the remakes, never got around to those. The used prices are still high...

GS is probably the greatest sequel I’ve ever played. What a fantastic follow up in every way.
bemusedchunk
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:40 PM)
bemusedchunk's Avatar
Is there any reason to play these over the DS remakes?
I've never played a Pokemon game past Gen1.
MSScaeva
Junior Member
(09-22-2017, 01:41 PM)
MSScaeva's Avatar
I picked up Silver again. Back in 2001 I had saved up 100 guilders (because the euro wasn't a thing yet) to buy the game. Looking back I feel sorry for the cashier because they had to count all those coins.

I decided to use the glitch to get all the starters this time. It's certainly a different experience to reach the first gym with a team like that. I hadn't used Chikorita before but it's doing surprisingly well, learning Razor Leaf at level 8 and all. I picked up Cyndaquil last, so it got to KO my rival's Totodile in one hit.
Gridlock
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:42 PM)
Gridlock's Avatar

Originally Posted by bemusedchunk

Is there any reason to play these over the DS remakes?
I've never played a Pokemon game past Gen1.


OG Gen 2 (these games) are my favorite gen. Granted when I originally played this I was also was using the carts to build teams for Pokémon Stadium. I put a ungodly amount of years into those two games
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:42 PM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar
Is the all starters glitch working for anyone? I've tried it twice now, and it seems the A+B+Start+Select soft reset combo isn't working for me... but just during the game save when you're switching boxes. It works just fine everywhere else!

If I can't get it now, I'll probably just fire up HeartGold and wait for VC Crystal...
Robin64
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:44 PM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

Is the all starters glitch working for anyone? I've tried it twice now, and it seems the A+B+Start+Select soft reset combo isn't working for me... but just during the game save when you're switching boxes. It works just fine everywhere else!

If I can't get it now, I'll probably just fire up HeartGold and wait for VC Crystal...

Use the VC’s reset function. One of the patches disables that controller function when saving.
topplehat
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:45 PM)
topplehat's Avatar
Kinda want to jump in on this, but am holding out for a Crystal VC release since I never actually played Crystal and spent 1 or 2 eternities in Gold/Silver.
MSScaeva
Junior Member
(09-22-2017, 01:46 PM)
MSScaeva's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joey Ravn

Is the all starters glitch working for anyone? I've tried it twice now, and it seems the A+B+Start+Select soft reset combo isn't working for me... but just during the game save when you're switching boxes. It works just fine everywhere else!

If I can't get it now, I'll probably just fire up HeartGold and wait for VC Crystal...

I did it by tapping the bottom screen and using the VC reset. I reset right after "don't turn off" appeared, and it worked flawlessly.
SG-17
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:46 PM)
SG-17's Avatar
I'll wait for Crystal.

I owned Red, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal when they came out (not Blue because my mom thought it was the same game, no help KB Toys employee who told her it was...). Out of them I played Yellow and Crystal the most. I ended up trading all of my Pokemon from Red to Yellow and G/S to Crystal.

Crystal has too many essential QOL upgrades over G/S for me to play either of the latter again.


I remember my Crystsl save had over 1000 hours on it before the battery died a few years ago... :(
Novel Mike
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:46 PM)
Novel Mike's Avatar
I wasn't even sure there was going to be an OT for this with how little hype there was for this release glad to see I was wrong!

Pokemon Gold was the first game I ever imported and I played through the entire game in Japanese despite not knowing a lick of the language. Still managed to get through all of it and beat it (although I do remember a tree giving me a loooot of trouble XD). This was also when as a kid I started falling out with Pokemon, despite beating Gold in Japanese I ended up not even playing the English release so this will be a first for me.

Although all that said... Pokemon is pretty great and always fun but its generally just a little to easy...

So thats why I really can't play Pokemon games the normal way anymore and instead I'll be doing a Nuzlocke! Best way to play Pokemon IMO because it truly gives the game a sense of challenge and changes how you play and generally makes you a better player because you end up learning to use Pokemon you normally wouldn't even touch.

For those who are unaware (and since it hasn't been brought up in this topic already) a Pokemon Nuzlocke is playing the game with additional rules to make it more interesting and challenging. There are many many many variations of rules you can use but the three that are generally required are...

1. If a Pokemon faints it is considered dead, you can't revive it you must release it. (or Box it forever to transfer to Sun/Moon for collecting purposes XD)

2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you see in every new route. If you kill it or it teleports or something then your chance is gone and you can't catch anything else in that route.

3. You must nickname all of your Pokemon.

So just these three rules make it much more interesting to play. The first rule makes it so you have to be a lot more careful since if it faints its gone, losing your starter early can have a huge effect and leave a major hole in your team. It also makes enemy critical hits much more devastating as having your star get taken out from a random crit can truly feel like the worst thing in the world.

The second rule is designed to limit your Pokemon and your options. Since what you get ends up being random you end up generally having to use different Pokemon and types you wouldn't normally consider running which helps you learn more about all the various Pokemon in the game as you play. There is also extended rules to this that make it more interesting that I'll get into down below.

The third rule is just used largely to give you a general attachment to each of your Pokemon. It's surprisingly that giving them a name and having perma death in effect can really make you actually care if they live or die since losing someone whose been with you a long time or been so strong can end up making you actually miss them once their gone.

There are various other extended and additional rules as well that can make the runs more interesting, for me personally the ruleset I generally use when doing a Nuzlocke is as follows...

1. If a Pokemon faints it is considered dead, you have to release it. No reviving!
2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you see in each route, if it is killed or runs away I cannot catch anything else on that route.
3. I must nickname all of my Pokemon
4. No items are allowed in battle outside of Pokeballs (No healing items!!).
5. Duplicates Clause: If the first Pokemon I see in a route is a Pidgey and I already have caught a
Pidgey I can catch the first Pokemon I see that I haven't already caught.
6. Species Clause: If I have a Weedle and it is ALIVE and UNEVOLVED and I run into its evolution a Kakuna I can catch it but upon doing so
I have to release the Weedle.
7. Battle Style is SET
8. Gift Pokemon are allowed and don't count towards any other rules (including starters).
9. If I manage to run into a Shiny Pokemon (1/4000 chance) I can catch it even if its something
I already have or its found on a route I already have caught something on.
10. Safari Zone Rule: I can catch up to 3 Pokemon in the zone. Other catching rules apply.
11. Trading Pokemon is not allowed.
12. If I 'white out' and have all of my team faint it is considered game over even if I have other Pokemon in the box.

Also just as an additional note: I don't consider this a rule but I randomize every choice you get, from the starters to even which version I'll end up doing the Nuzlocke run on. Things like the fossil choices and stuff like that make it much more interesting.

So my rules make it pretty hard. The no items in battle rule is really what makes it difficult because you cannot just spend money on like a 1000 full restores and just tank the stronger Pokemon until they run out of PP (which is something that I see people who do runs like this on youtube actively doing and it annoys the hell out of me because its basically cheating) and forces you to really come up with a strategy for each Gym and boss encounter. Then you have things like the Duplicates and Species Clauses which I have to make it so I can't ever catch more then 1 of a line of Pokemon. It both gives you more options then just ending up with 20 Pidgeys but it also can make it harder because its possible that some routes you'll be unable to catch anything new. The gift Pokemon rule I have is basically a mercy rule and also helps to prevent complications in certain games (Gen 3 you get your starter in the first route, locking you out of that first route if you follow the normal rules).

Overall these rules don't end up making the game all that more complicated but it does make it very difficult but also really really fun. With these rules in place I will freely admit that actually beating the game is pretty much not going to happen but the thing about Nuzlockes is its really all about the journey, learning about new Pokemon you'd never even think about using, growing attached to them only for them to end up being taken away, and overcoming impossible odds because of the skill you've got as a player (and a little luck!) and beating those odds when everything seems impossible. It makes battles like the Miltank in G/S so much more interesting when you know not only can it take out your best Pokemon but it could wipe your whole team if your not careful and beating it even after it wrecks your party can be one of the greatest feelings ever.

So that said, anyone else going to join me in a Nuzlocke? You don't have to make it nearly as hard as I do, again its only the first three rules listed above that are really whats 'required' but I do want to encourage people to try doing a Nuzlocke if you haven't done one before, it really makes the games so much more interesting and really can open your eyes onto certain Pokemon that might normally seem awful that end up being really quite useful (Zubat/Crowbat is this 100% he seems like such a common cannon fodder Pokemon but trained up its actually really quite good and very useful for various strategies) and frankly I find it hard to play a Pokemon game normally anymore because its just too easy.
TheAggroCraig
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:46 PM)
TheAggroCraig's Avatar
I was really hoping that Noon time was an error last night, but I guess I'll just be playing this after work today (and for the rest of the weekend...) I'm super hype to play this version again, going Silver with Totodile just like back in the day, IT'S GONNA BE GREAT!
The Shadow Knight
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:47 PM)
The Shadow Knight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

Use the VC’s reset function. One of the patches disables that controller function when saving.

They gave it a sporting try, I guess.
bemusedchunk
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:47 PM)
bemusedchunk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gridlock

OG Gen 2 (these games) are my favorite gen. Granted when I originally played this I was also was using the carts to build teams for Pokémon Stadium. I put a ungodly amount of years into those two games

But if one were to experience Gen 2 today, and not care about extra stuff like that, would the remakes be the way to go?
Dandy Crocodile
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:47 PM)
Dandy Crocodile's Avatar
Bought Silver to relive my childhood and Gold to play for the first time! Got the Spanish version of it since I've been replaying Pokémon games in Spanish lately.

Originally Posted by Shizuka

Can someone make that handy countdown clock for the time the game unlocks in North America?

3 hours and 13 minutes from this post.
Joey Ravn
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:48 PM)
Joey Ravn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

Use the VC’s reset function. One of the patches disables that controller function when saving.

Originally Posted by MSScaeva

I did it by tapping the bottom screen and using the VC reset. I reset right after "don't turn off" appeared, and it worked flawlessly.

Ah, nice. I thought there was something different between these releases and the original games.

I'll try using the built-in reset function. Much easier!

Edit: Got'em all!
Last edited by Joey Ravn; 09-22-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Shizuka
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:48 PM)
Shizuka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dandy Crocodile

3 hours and 13 minutes from this post.

Now I know when I'm taking my lunch hour.
Galava
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:53 PM)
Galava's Avatar

Originally Posted by SG-17

I'll wait for Crystal.

I owned Red, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal when they came out (not Blue because my mom thought it was the same game, no help KB Toys employee who told her it was...). Out of them I played Yellow and Crystal the most. I ended up trading all of my Pokemon from Red to Yellow and G/S to Crystal.

Crystal has too many essential QOL upgrades over G/S for me to play either of the latter again.


I remember my Crystsl save had over 1000 hours on it before the battery died a few years ago... :(

I Dont think crystal is going to come to vc
Crayolan
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:58 PM)
Crayolan's Avatar

Originally Posted by bemusedchunk

Is there any reason to play these over the DS remakes?
I've never played a Pokemon game past Gen1.

Personally, I still like playing gen 2 occasionally because I like the novelty of the gen 2 mechanics which allow for different strategies than the remakes. And I love gen 2's visual style.

But if you're not a weirdo like me there's really no reason to play gen 2 over the remakes. They improve on the games in pretty much every regard. And even if you did want to play gen 2, there's no reason to ever play Gold/Silver when Crystal exists, which is already a direct upgrade to the originals.
bemusedchunk
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:01 PM)
bemusedchunk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crayolan

Personally, I still like playing gen 2 occasionally because I like the novelty of the gen 2 mechanics which allow for different strategies than the remakes. And I love gen 2's visual style.

But if you're not a weirdo like me there's really no reason to play gen 2 over the remakes. They improve on the games in pretty much every regard. And even if you did want to play gen 2, there's no reason to ever play Gold/Silver when Crystal exists, which is already a direct upgrade to the originals.


Perfect. This was exactly the answer i was looking for.
clay_ghost
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:05 PM)
clay_ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by Galava

I Dont think crystal is going to come to vc

https://nintendosoup.com/hacker-find...ds-vc-release/
Mr. Phellps
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:10 PM)
Mr. Phellps's Avatar
This is the only gen after Gen 1 I don't favor the water starter because Cyndaquil is too damn cute.
Sgt.Pepper
remove your tag from my GAF account
(09-22-2017, 02:10 PM)
Sgt.Pepper's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Shadow Knight

The Marill line did end up redeeming itself in a big way over the course of the later gens.

fuck weather wars
The Silver
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:15 PM)
The Silver's Avatar
God the visuals of these old games hit my nostalgia button hard, I love em.
MegaManTrigger
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:16 PM)
MegaManTrigger's Avatar
I wonder if I should get this even though I have HeartGold.
woopWOOP
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:17 PM)
woopWOOP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novel Mike

.

Part of me wants to try playing Pokemon with custom rules like this, but I figure it mostly just gets frustrating with random critical hits taking out some of your best monsters. Also the Elite 4's gonna be hella impossible if you restrict yourself from reviving your underleveled replacement monsters :V

Originally Posted by Robin64

I remember my Typhlosion basically beating the entire game, leaving me thinking "What do I even need a team for?"

I did this with my Feraligatr.... more or less.
Had a team of him and that Spearow (?) that was given to you to deliver mail or whatever and I turned into my Fly slave. Think I had a seperate level 20 fish for Surf/Whirlpool too. My Feraligatr had other HM moves and Hydro Pump.
Back then I played a gibberish translated rom through an emulator and could use savestates, but I just couldn't beat Lance no matter what I did. So I eventually replaced Hydro Pump with Icy Wind pre-battle. I beat the champion, but Feraligatr without a water attack felt really stupid
Also I never beat Red

Didn't start training a whole balanced Pokemon team until the gen 4 games or so. Time I play through this classic legitimately with a fully functional team. And beat that bastard Red!
Robin64
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:17 PM)
Robin64's Avatar
Worth remembering that everything should get its Hidden Ability when transferred through Bank to modern games. That might be a little incentive to play this over/as-well-as the remakes.
oti
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:18 PM)
oti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shiggy

The Gold box was damaged on the side so I'm waiting for a replacement now (Amazon chose to deliver it in the smallest package possible).

Damaged in what way? Wondering if I can ask for a replacement too. My packages have both dents on the upper side.
Shiggy
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:21 PM)
Shiggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by oti

Damaged in what way? Wondering if I can ask for a replacement too. My packages have both dents on the upper side.

My Silver Edition from Saturn didn't have any dents.
Dishwalla
Weeeee count only blue turf
(09-22-2017, 02:21 PM)
Dishwalla's Avatar
Oh shoot, these are out already? Losing track of time I swear...

I still have my original copies of both games(plus Crystal) and copies of both HG and SS, but I'm still buying both on the VC.
The Shadow Knight
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:22 PM)
The Shadow Knight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sgt.Pepper

fuck weather wars

Since it got Fairy type it doesn't even need rain anymore.

Originally Posted by Robin64

Worth remembering that everything should get its Hidden Ability when transferred through Bank to modern games. That might be a little incentive to play this over/as-well-as the remakes.

That's right. This also means that Shiny HA Ho-oh and Lugia will be obtainable for the first time.
oti
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:22 PM)
oti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shiggy

My Silver Edition from Saturn didn't have any dents.

That's exactly how both of them are. And you're getting replacements? I'll shoot Amazon an email then.
Taco_Human
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:23 PM)
Ugh, why not a midnight launch? I'll be at work by noon. :/
Mr. Phellps
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:24 PM)
Mr. Phellps's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

I remember everyone being hyped about Pikablue, which just ended up being Marill and thus awful.

Excuse your mouth.
KelpPlankton
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:25 PM)
KelpPlankton's Avatar
Is there a countdown timer or anything for the US release of this? I thought I'd be able to start playing this morning before work but I guess that's not happening?
Aaron Strife
Honk if you love cookies.
(09-22-2017, 02:25 PM)
Aaron Strife's Avatar
Guessing they might be holding out on Crystal because it's a more obvious improvement over Gold/Silver than Yellow was over Red/Blue.

Get all the sales they can out of G/S first, then release Crystal and get a bunch more.
Weebos
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:26 PM)
Weebos's Avatar
Do we have any information on how Time Capsule works in these releases?

Do you need two consoles?
Shiggy
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:30 PM)
Shiggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by oti

That's exactly how both of them are. And you're getting replacements? I'll shoot Amazon an email then.

Yeah, I mean the box is why I ordered it. The Silver box has a small dent but not as visible, so that one is fine for me. But for the Gold box it's the "visible" side.

They offered a replacement without any hassle.
KelpPlankton
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:30 PM)
KelpPlankton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weebos

Do we have any information on how Time Capsule works in these releases?

Do you need two consoles?

Works identical to the original release, just wireless now
Gridlock
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:31 PM)
Gridlock's Avatar

Originally Posted by bemusedchunk

But if one were to experience Gen 2 today, and not care about extra stuff like that, would the remakes be the way to go?


Disclaimer: I haven't played the remakes.

My answer to your question would be yes. Updated visuals, added story content, and others things that I'm not personally aware of. I just gave you my opinion for the OG gen 2. I'm willing to imagine the OG gen 2 is bare bones compared to the remakes.
Wilsongt
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:33 PM)
Wilsongt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Forkball

I swear to god if any of you say this isn't a whole new place with a brand new attitude...

...I still gotta catch them all.

Tonight.

Gen 2 is best Gen.

Come at me, Pokebros.
Weebos
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:43 PM)
Weebos's Avatar

Originally Posted by KelpPlankton

Works identical to the original release, just wireless now

That's a shame, I wouldn't mind that if these were released on carts, but being digital makes it a bit of a pain.
balladofwindfishes
(09-22-2017, 02:45 PM)
balladofwindfishes's Avatar
What are the renewable TMs in GS, I forget

I think the elemental punches?
ReddishGUI
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:45 PM)
ReddishGUI's Avatar
When is it releasing?

I can't boot up my preloaded copy...

Thread Tools