• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Lunar15
Member
(09-27-2017, 04:00 PM)
Lunar15's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

It's really apparent when you play through the game with the original voices. Ohtani's Morgana really has this "children's show" mascot voice while Morris's Morgana is incredibly conceited.

Yep, you nailed it. JP Morgana has a touch of precociousness that is supposed to flavor his otherwise pretentious and overbearing nature. I think Morris was going for it, but it just comes off as kind of whiny.

Morgana was built around getting a very specific type of voice actor, so it was just a tough situation to emulate. The fact that Morgana probably has the most speaking lines of anyone in the game and that she's constantly commenting on every action the MC does really didn't help. Honestly, for P6, I hope they go back to the disembodied narrator. There was something about that I found charming.
cj_iwakura
Member
(09-27-2017, 04:20 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lunar15

Yep, you nailed it. JP Morgana has a touch of precociousness that is supposed to flavor his otherwise pretentious and overbearing nature. I think Morris was going for it, but it just comes off as kind of whiny.

Morgana was built around getting a very specific type of voice actor, so it was just a tough situation to emulate. The fact that Morgana probably has the most speaking lines of anyone in the game and that she's constantly commenting on every action the MC does really didn't help. Honestly, for P6, I hope they go back to the disembodied narrator. There was something about that I found charming.

I liked that the MC commented in the first person sometimes.
Dragon1893
Member
(09-27-2017, 04:29 PM)
Dragon1893's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I liked that the MC commented in the first person sometimes.

That was so jarring at first lol.
I like the narrator but I'm fine with how P5 does it as well.
PK Gaming
Member
(09-27-2017, 04:31 PM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I liked that the MC commented in the first person sometimes.

It would have been better if he offered colorful commentary. His descriptions for things were needlessly dry.
StarCreator
Member
(09-27-2017, 06:10 PM)
StarCreator's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

It would have been better if he offered colorful commentary. His descriptions for things were needlessly dry.

That's on purpose. The protagonist of a Persona game is not supposed to have a clearly defined personality; he's written in a way that the player injects their own personality in its place. This is the whole reason why previous games had a narrator dictate everything instead of the protagonist ever speaking.

The Persona 4 spinoffs/anime are really the only entries in the series to buck this trend.
PK Gaming
Member
(09-27-2017, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by StarCreator

That's on purpose. The protagonist of a Persona game is not supposed to have a clearly defined personality; he's written in a way that the player injects their own personality in its place. This is the whole reason why previous games had a narrator dictate everything instead of the protagonist ever speaking.

The Persona 4 spinoffs/anime are really the only entries in the series to buck this trend.

Well no, because Joker clearly has a personality. He's just silent.

Regardless, theat argument doesn't hold water because both SMTIV and SMTIV-A protagonists have flavorful item descriptions, and they're silent as heck.
BTA
Member
(09-27-2017, 06:30 PM)
BTA's Avatar

Originally Posted by StarCreator

That's on purpose. The protagonist of a Persona game is not supposed to have a clearly defined personality; he's written in a way that the player injects their own personality in its place. This is the whole reason why previous games had a narrator dictate everything instead of the protagonist ever speaking.

The Persona 4 spinoffs/anime are really the only entries in the series to buck this trend.

I'd be more accepting of this if the game didn't feel like repeatedly deviating from this solely when it wants the protagonist to get horny with Ryuji and Mishima.
ClearMetal
Member
(09-27-2017, 07:02 PM)
ClearMetal's Avatar

Originally Posted by BTA

I'd be more accepting of this if the game didn't feel like repeatedly deviating from this solely when it wants the protagonist to get horny with Ryuji and Mishima.

Repeatedly? It happens during the introduction of Kawakami's confidant (though I do not remember how much that was a "but thou must" by the game and how much the protagonist himself was looking forwards to it), but are there any other moments? Hawaii comes to mind, but I don't think the protagonist engages in any lecherous behavior himself (and dialogue options indicate Mishima is starting to annoy him).

I think the protagonist's idle animations, the jobs and after school activities he can engage in and some of his dialogue choices are a much better arguments against him supposedly being a blank slate. I mean, you could chalk it up to pragmatism ("I need the money") but I think it says something about the protagonist that he can apply for a job at a flower shop.
cj_iwakura
Member
(09-27-2017, 09:08 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by StarCreator

That's on purpose. The protagonist of a Persona game is not supposed to have a clearly defined personality; he's written in a way that the player injects their own personality in its place. This is the whole reason why previous games had a narrator dictate everything instead of the protagonist ever speaking.

The Persona 4 spinoffs/anime are really the only entries in the series to buck this trend.

And Eternal Punishment, sort of.
Rainy
Banned
(09-28-2017, 03:54 AM)
Did you guys max out all the Confidants before you beat the game? I'm definitely gonna have a few left over...
SMD
Member
(09-28-2017, 04:31 AM)
SMD's Avatar

Originally Posted by SMD

Sorry if this has been asked before but Google isn't helping.

On NG+ I did the December Palace on 12/8. Flu Season is supposed to be 12/9 but I go into Mementos and...it kinda isn't there? If I end the day and go to evening, it pops up but that doesn't help me in trying to get the Reaper to come out.

Is this a bug and am I fucked? I could go to an earlier save but I really don't want to do the December Palace again if I can avoid it.

Since no one had the answer, I'll reply to myself.

Yes, it's a bug, no, there's nothing you can do about it, yes, I went back to an earlier save and did the December Palace all over again.

Don't complete a palace if you want to go into Mementos the next day for flu season.
enfieldvball
Member
(09-28-2017, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Rainy

Did you guys max out all the Confidants before you beat the game? I'm definitely gonna have a few left over...

Nope, I think the majority weren't able too. I'd consider myself a Persona vet. played P2:EP, P3, P3:FES, P4, P4:G and I wasn't able to get all stats maxed out, Guts only at 4 and the rest were maxed out. Should be easy through the NG+ run though.
Akuun
Looking for meaning in GAF
(09-28-2017, 05:29 PM)

Originally Posted by StarCreator

That's on purpose. The protagonist of a Persona game is not supposed to have a clearly defined personality; he's written in a way that the player injects their own personality in its place. This is the whole reason why previous games had a narrator dictate everything instead of the protagonist ever speaking.

The Persona 4 spinoffs/anime are really the only entries in the series to buck this trend.

I think Persona games stick with a neutral core for its MC's personality, but they consistently insert dialogue options that lean towards a certain personality (next to more neutral options) if you want to make your character that way. That becomes sort of the MC's personality. It's just that the game leaves it up to the player as to whether they want to roll with that personality or stay more neutral.

P3 FeMC had notably bubbly/carefree/energetic dialog options while P3 MC didn't. She was generally more willing to playfully roll with stupid shit while the MC usually opted to stay cool and silent.
P5 MC often had options to insert smartass remarks.

Stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Rainy

Did you guys max out all the Confidants before you beat the game? I'm definitely gonna have a few left over...

I missed out on maxing out 3-4 people.
ClearMetal
Member
(09-28-2017, 06:00 PM)
ClearMetal's Avatar
I managed, but only on the very last day and through abusing the affection reading of the fortune confidant.

On the flip side, I only watched one DVD, I haven't played even one video game and there are a bunch of books I've yet to read. So that's going to be the main focus of the new game+ playthrough.
BTA
Member
(09-28-2017, 06:16 PM)
BTA's Avatar

Originally Posted by ClearMetal

Repeatedly? It happens during the introduction of Kawakami's confidant (though I do not remember how much that was a "but thou must" by the game and how much the protagonist himself was looking forwards to it), but are there any other moments? Hawaii comes to mind, but I don't think the protagonist engages in any lecherous behavior himself (and dialogue options indicate Mishima is starting to annoy him).

I think the protagonist's idle animations, the jobs and after school activities he can engage in and some of his dialogue choices are a much better arguments against him supposedly being a blank slate. I mean, you could chalk it up to pragmatism ("I need the money") but I think it says something about the protagonist that he can apply for a job at a flower shop.

It was then and Hawaii and a couple other times.

Kawakami pissed me off in particular because I just wanted to tell them to fuck off with their pervy bullshit and to keep me out of it, or at least some way to express exasperation at the idea of doing it. Then later on it sets things up like you're at least vaguely manipulative/judging if you want to see her more, when I just wanted to say "oh, I literally don't care that you're doing this on the side; keep doing what you need to do".

(And I agree with that logic, yeah.)
ClearMetal
Member
(09-28-2017, 07:47 PM)
ClearMetal's Avatar

Originally Posted by BTA

It was then and Hawaii and a couple other times.

Kawakami pissed me off in particular because I just wanted to tell them to fuck off with their pervy bullshit and to keep me out of it, or at least some way to express exasperation at the idea of doing it. Then later on it sets things up like you're at least vaguely manipulative/judging if you want to see her more, when I just wanted to say "oh, I literally don't care that you're doing this on the side; keep doing what you need to do".

(And I agree with that logic, yeah.)

I can see where you're coming from. I personally didn't mind Kawakami's introduction, in the way that it just left me eye-rolling. Like, I get that these guys are horny teenagers, but was this really the right way to tackle this stuff considering everything that just happened with Kamoshida? Same goes for Yusuke's introduction.
Rainy
Banned
(09-29-2017, 05:20 AM)
How much longer do I have left if

12/24

I just defeated that Angel Swordsman mini-boss in Shibuya and people are starting to realize that the real world is combining with Mementos. I'm guessing I'm getting quite near the end now.
ComradeZero
Member
(09-29-2017, 05:30 AM)
ComradeZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rainy

How much longer do I have left if

12/24

I just defeated that Angel Swordsman mini-boss in Shibuya and people are starting to realize that the real world is combining with Mementos. I'm guessing I'm getting quite near the end now.

Counting NG+ another 100 hours or so. But yeah, you'll be done by tomorrow or sometime this weekend if you got the time.

Watch the credits! Really emotional after 100+ hours with these characters.
zerokoolpsx
Member
(09-29-2017, 06:20 AM)
zerokoolpsx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rainy

Did you guys max out all the Confidants before you beat the game? I'm definitely gonna have a few left over...

Only did this on NG+. I missed like 5 on my first playrhrough. Definitely regret not maxing out the twins. Would have made things easier in NG+

Originally Posted by Rainy

How much longer do I have left if

12/24

I just defeated that Angel Swordsman mini-boss in Shibuya and people are starting to realize that the real world is combining with Mementos. I'm guessing I'm getting quite near the end now.

Maybe an hour or two left. Near the end and definitely watch the credits.
Nictel
Member
(09-29-2017, 08:04 AM)

Originally Posted by ClearMetal

I managed, but only on the very last day and through abusing the affection reading of the fortune confidant.

On the flip side, I only watched one DVD, I haven't played even one video game and there are a bunch of books I've yet to read. So that's going to be the main focus of the new game+ playthrough.

*MC never goes out again*
Linkstrikesback
Member
(09-29-2017, 08:44 AM)
Linkstrikesback's Avatar

Originally Posted by ComradeZero

Counting NG+ another 100 hours or so. But yeah, you'll be done by tomorrow or sometime this weekend if you got the time.

Watch the credits! Really emotional after 100+ hours with these characters.

A hundred hours? geez I just noticed the op says the game takes about a hundred hours. I must have rocketed through when I got the true end on my first NG in less than 80.
Planeswalker
Junior Member
(09-29-2017, 03:05 PM)
Regarding the recent discussion regarding English vs Japanese Morgana - Personally, they actually sound kind of similar "except" English Morgana doesn't have as much emphasis on specific words.

For example, let's do a comparison example with an early scene.

The scene where Ryuji grabs Morgana the scene of Morgana introducing himself as a cat in the real world to main character and Ryuji for the first time).

Japanese Morgana: Oi, Teme! Sono Atsukai...

In the Japanese version, there's major individual emphasis on Oi, Teme, and Atsukai! Three words with major emphasis.

English Morgana: Hey! How dare you treat me like-

In English, the emphasis is just on Hey! Besides that, English version is a bit more wordy (though there's about the same syllables).

That's basically the major difference between Japanese and English.

In Japanese, due to the language (differences in syllables for words and what you can emphasis in Japanese compared to English for example), you can have a character emphasis a few words like that more easily.

For example, in the above, you can see how they translate Oi, Teme! Sono Atsukai to "Hey! How dare you treat me like-".

Besides the difference in emphasis (which honestly, I don't think you can really replicate the same lines between languages in cases like this), I think they actually sound really close.

In any case though, I think English Morgana sounds fine even without those specific emphasis that the Japanese version has.

It's kind of more of a difference in how language is conveyed in this case. You can't replicate it 1 to 1 but you can try to get something similar or at least something that tries to convey the same message.

English Morgana conveys the same message as the Japanese Morgana except for the emphasis I mentioned above (which I don't think is really that important honestly).

Kind of related but I made a post last year regarding Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls last year about a character Cassandra Morris did (Segami). English Segami sounds completely different compared to the Japanese voice (compared to here where she actually sounds similar)

Cassandra's Segami was more serious and at times mysterious than the Japanese one which is cheerful and enthusiastic.

Despite the fact that the characters are completely different in how they sound, they still convey the same type of message. That is, the character still makes sense for the story and how they interact with other characters (in Segami's case, despite the fact that they are completely different in personality).

In any case, I say English and Japanese Morgana are the same.

Regardless, I think each language should do their own thing for whatever sounds right for that language.

Anyway, I didn't come here to post that (I only joined in since it was a recent discussion and I just wanted to comment on that). The main reason I came here is to say that Chihaya is the best girl for me

Honestly, a lot of the social links and confidants have similar structure. Basically, around rank 3 is when they really need main character guy to step in.

By Rank 10, issue is resolved and main character guy was basically the only person that could solve that issue.

Whenever there are romance options, I don't pick the person that I have a preference with but simply the one happy story that I'd like to see the most.

For example, with Ann she gets the admiration of Morgana really early on. Then you find out about how Ryuji and Ann knew each other already. Yusuke likes her too later on, etc.

These are my preferences though but because of that (for me), I don't really want to romance Ann with main character guy.

This applies for a lot of other characters as well.

Kawakami seems to be a popular non-party member romance option but since she seems to do really well as a teacher, I passed on her.

The reason I didn't go for Haru is because Haru does have her past and she does seem alone but honestly I think she can do well even hiding her upbringing. For example, Ryuji seemed interesting in Haru at least in the introduction. I'd argue Haru could probably find some other nice people besides main character guy because of that, even if she hides who she really is.

Ann's romance option is kind of interesting. The main thing to note is that you were kind of the only one there for her in the beginning of the game. However, I can imagine more people being more open and friendly with Ann. Even Makoto gets close with Ann early on after they met. Because of that I don't think Ann really needs main character guy that much.

I'd actually argue the same for other playable characters. Everyone wants to hang out with you but I think a lot of the cases, they can probably hang out with each other successfully just as well.

That's basically my personal criteria whenever games present romance options. That's actually why the playable characters aren't as appealing to me.

So, that's why Chihaya is the best girl for me. I want to see a happy story for her the most and I think she actually fits well with the main character.

In all social links, they really try to make the main character really important but at least for me, I think they really made Chihaya's story kind of tragic in a way you feel like she really doesn't have much of anyone. In fact, she says her chance for romance is none until she met you. That's why I really want the main character to be with her the most. Stuff like how she never thought she'd be able to do all this stuff later in city until she met you also helps make me happy to have them the main couple.

Also I felt like Chihaya is one of the few that seems interesting in you first. Like, for the other options, the other characters fall in love after you say something but Chihaya kind of hints that you likes you before you even make that choice.

That's why I felt like shipping the main character with Chihaya the most. I like main character plus Chihaya the most in terms of story.

I'm team Chihaya. It's really neat the game does present you a variety of options. Chihaya made the game for me. The feels. To be fair, almost all social links try to throw the feels at you but personally, Chihaya is the most for me.
SMD
Member
(09-29-2017, 06:32 PM)
SMD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Planeswalker

Regarding the recent discussion regarding English vs Japanese Morgana - Personally, they actually sound kind of similar "except" English Morgana doesn't have as much emphasis on specific words.

For example, let's do a comparison example with an early scene.

The scene where Ryuji grabs Morgana the scene of Morgana introducing himself as a cat in the real world to main character and Ryuji for the first time).

Japanese Morgana: Oi, Teme! Sono Atsukai...

In the Japanese version, there's major individual emphasis on Oi, Teme, and Atsukai! Three words with major emphasis.

English Morgana: Hey! How dare you treat me like-

In English, the emphasis is just on Hey! Besides that, English version is a bit more wordy (though there's about the same syllables).

That's basically the major difference between Japanese and English.

In Japanese, due to the language (differences in syllables for words and what you can emphasis in Japanese compared to English for example), you can have a character emphasis a few words like that more easily.

For example, in the above, you can see how they translate Oi, Teme! Sono Atsukai to "Hey! How dare you treat me like-".

Besides the difference in emphasis (which honestly, I don't think you can really replicate the same lines between languages in cases like this), I think they actually sound really close.

In any case though, I think English Morgana sounds fine even without those specific emphasis that the Japanese version has.

It's kind of more of a difference in how language is conveyed in this case. You can't replicate it 1 to 1 but you can try to get something similar or at least something that tries to convey the same message.

English Morgana conveys the same message as the Japanese Morgana except for the emphasis I mentioned above (which I don't think is really that important honestly).

Kind of related but I made a post last year regarding Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls last year about a character Cassandra Morris did (Segami). English Segami sounds completely different compared to the Japanese voice (compared to here where she actually sounds similar)

Cassandra's Segami was more serious and at times mysterious than the Japanese one which is cheerful and enthusiastic.

Despite the fact that the characters are completely different in how they sound, they still convey the same type of message. That is, the character still makes sense for the story and how they interact with other characters (in Segami's case, despite the fact that they are completely different in personality).

In any case, I say English and Japanese Morgana are the same.

Regardless, I think each language should do their own thing for whatever sounds right for that language.

Anyway, I didn't come here to post that (I only joined in since it was a recent discussion and I just wanted to comment on that). The main reason I came here is to say that Chihaya is the best girl for me

Honestly, a lot of the social links and confidants have similar structure. Basically, around rank 3 is when they really need main character guy to step in.

By Rank 10, issue is resolved and main character guy was basically the only person that could solve that issue.

Whenever there are romance options, I don't pick the person that I have a preference with but simply the one happy story that I'd like to see the most.

For example, with Ann she gets the admiration of Morgana really early on. Then you find out about how Ryuji and Ann knew each other already. Yusuke likes her too later on, etc.

These are my preferences though but because of that (for me), I don't really want to romance Ann with main character guy.

This applies for a lot of other characters as well.

Kawakami seems to be a popular non-party member romance option but since she seems to do really well as a teacher, I passed on her.

The reason I didn't go for Haru is because Haru does have her past and she does seem alone but honestly I think she can do well even hiding her upbringing. For example, Ryuji seemed interesting in Haru at least in the introduction. I'd argue Haru could probably find some other nice people besides main character guy because of that, even if she hides who she really is.

Ann's romance option is kind of interesting. The main thing to note is that you were kind of the only one there for her in the beginning of the game. However, I can imagine more people being more open and friendly with Ann. Even Makoto gets close with Ann early on after they met. Because of that I don't think Ann really needs main character guy that much.

I'd actually argue the same for other playable characters. Everyone wants to hang out with you but I think a lot of the cases, they can probably hang out with each other successfully just as well.

That's basically my personal criteria whenever games present romance options. That's actually why the playable characters aren't as appealing to me.

So, that's why Chihaya is the best girl for me. I want to see a happy story for her the most and I think she actually fits well with the main character.

In all social links, they really try to make the main character really important but at least for me, I think they really made Chihaya's story kind of tragic in a way you feel like she really doesn't have much of anyone. In fact, she says her chance for romance is none until she met you. That's why I really want the main character to be with her the most. Stuff like how she never thought she'd be able to do all this stuff later in city until she met you also helps make me happy to have them the main couple.

Also I felt like Chihaya is one of the few that seems interesting in you first. Like, for the other options, the other characters fall in love after you say something but Chihaya kind of hints that you likes you before you even make that choice.

That's why I felt like shipping the main character with Chihaya the most. I like main character plus Chihaya the most in terms of story.

I'm team Chihaya. It's really neat the game does present you a variety of options. Chihaya made the game for me. The feels. To be fair, almost all social links try to throw the feels at you but personally, Chihaya is the most for me.

Canon: bang them all. Even Yusuke.
Rainy
Banned
(09-29-2017, 11:34 PM)
Beat the game! Finished with 91 hours on the dot.

One of my favorite games ever.
Lynx_7
Member
(09-30-2017, 12:12 AM)
Lynx_7's Avatar
I was just going through the final boss again after making a few endgame fusions because I wanted to carry them over for an easier 100% compedium trophy on my NG+ run. Somehow I got more emotional watching the ending now than the first time. Just the little things like seeing the PT flag on the MC's dimly lit room and reminiscing about everything I went through a few months back made me feel really nostalgic. Now that I've had time to properly digest my experience, I think 5 has solidified itself as my favorite Persona game.

Then as I was saying goodbye to everyone again the game froze after I spoke to Makoto and tried fast-traveling somewhere. Literally the first and only time this has ever happened. Why
Nictel
Member
(10-02-2017, 07:16 AM)
So after about ten tries or something I am going to say that lvl 42 is too low for the fifth end boss. I keep dying at the executive bot. Though an amazing animation, the Burger special wipes out my party most of the time. It being almighty damage I also can't counter it other than by guarding.
That's on hard BTW, it is a shame as I did the palace in one day.
Zertez
Member
(10-02-2017, 07:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Nictel

So after about ten tries or something I am going to say that lvl 42 is too low for the fifth end boss. I keep dying at the executive bot. Though an amazing animation, the Burger special wipes out my party most of the time. It being almighty damage I also can't counter it other than by guarding.

Remove party members that have harrisen recovery and the special will heal people that have the debuff. On Merciless at lvl 41 it took a few tries but it is doable. You can always use a persona with enduring, salvation etc.
Nictel
Member
(10-02-2017, 08:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Zertez

Remove party members that have harrisen recovery and the special will heal people that have the debuff. On Merciless at lvl 41 it took a few tries but it is doable. You can always use a persona with enduring, salvation etc.

Is that the gimmick? It doesn't hurt you if your hungry? Also, uhm great I think Haru and Makato are the only ones that do not have it.. No persona yet with enduring, I need to fuse a bit more.
kaitain19
Member
(10-02-2017, 09:27 AM)
kaitain19's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nictel

Is that the gimmick? It doesn't hurt you if your hungry? Also, uhm great I think Haru and Makato are the only ones that do not have it.. No persona yet with enduring, I need to fuse a bit more.

That attack heals HP for all characters who are hungry instead of dealing damage.
kromeo
Member
(10-02-2017, 02:07 PM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nictel

So after about ten tries or something I am going to say that lvl 42 is too low for the fifth end boss. I keep dying at the executive bot. Though an amazing animation, the Burger special wipes out my party most of the time. It being almighty damage I also can't counter it other than by guarding.
That's on hard BTW, it is a shame as I did the palace in one day.

No idea what level I was but I probably found that fight the toughest of the palace bosses on hard

I actually died a few times on the Futaba one because I had no items that cured despair and main character and Makoto kept getting hit with it at the same time
Rainy
Banned
(10-04-2017, 02:07 AM)
What were some of your favorite tracks in the game?

I think "Butterfly Kiss," "The Days When My Mother Was There," and "Last Surprise," are my favorites.
ShadyK54
Member
(10-04-2017, 02:25 AM)
ShadyK54's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rainy

What were some of your favorite tracks in the game?

I think "Butterfly Kiss," "The Days When My Mother Was There," and "Last Surprise," are my favorites.

Along with the ones you mentioned, ‘The Whims of Fate,’ ‘Rivers in the Desert,’ ‘Alleycat,’ and all the variations of ‘Beneath The Mask.’
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-04-2017, 02:29 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Blooming Villain has to top my list, followed by Layer Cake.
ClearMetal
Member
(10-04-2017, 02:34 AM)
ClearMetal's Avatar
Standouts for me: Rivers in the Desert, King, Queen and Slave -another version-, Price (both regular and -another version-), Ark, Our beginning.

Oh and Going through the Scorching Desert of course. The part that starts around 0:54, fantastic.
SMD
Member
(10-04-2017, 05:05 AM)
SMD's Avatar
I platinumed this last night, I'd already gotten practically all the trophies by finishing NG+, just had to go out of my way to get the Pond Guardian and...the negotiator trophy.

Fuck. Me. What a piece of shit. It was literally the last one and I figured I might as well considering there was nothing left. What was the point of this? In two playthroughs I only ever triggered it once by mistake and I fucked it up cos I didn't realise it was in the game coming off the back of P4G. I had to farm for a negotiation because it was that rare and pointless. It would've been a decent twist to add tension to battles but instead it just doesn't feature. So what was the point?

I have to say I did enjoy the game, the affinity compared to P4G isn't there for various reasons but it's still a lovely game. Mementos isn't particularly memorable and I wish the Palaces had optional bosses you could go back to like in P4G. Though fuck the December palace, I redid it twice and I was just sick of the backtracking.

This game is crying out for an expansion/update though. They could really fix some of the complaints by rebalancing the pace. Fleshing out the events rather than restricting the group interactions to chatter in the van, bringing in some characters earlier (ie not waiting until their palace is due), having new ultimate évolutions so you have something to do after maxing all your stats and social links. I don't think those require significant reengineering of the base game.

Otherwise just give us Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2 with full social links.
BoogieWoogie
Member
(10-04-2017, 05:52 AM)
BoogieWoogie's Avatar
Man, as I approach the end game, my theory on who the traitor was going to be was way off:

I thought for sure it was going to be Mishima.
FluxWaveZ
Member
(10-04-2017, 05:56 AM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

Man, as I approach the end game, my theory on who the traitor was going to be was way off:

I thought for sure it was going to be Mishima.

It would've worked, though. Would have been pretty cool, too.

What I said about it before (SPOILERS).
Rainy
Banned
(10-04-2017, 05:57 AM)

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

Man, as I approach the end game, my theory on who the traitor was going to be was way off:

I thought for sure it was going to be Mishima.

Would have admittedly been pretty interesting.
ClearMetal
Member
(10-04-2017, 06:05 AM)
ClearMetal's Avatar
It's not an illogical assumption.

(TRAITOR SPOILER!) He finds out pretty quick that the protagonist is a Phantom Thief, starts helping him by building and maintaining a website... and then falls of the radar almost immediately. I mean, you know he's there and he's the webmaster, but you quickly get used to it and don't give it a second thought at any point. At least I didn't. Akechi, meanwhile, set off all alarm bells when he blackmails the Phantom Thieves and 'joins' them.

It would've been a cool twist, although maybe a bit too much like you-know-who in P4, who also spent most of the game beneath suspicion.
UpDownLeftRight
Banned
(10-04-2017, 06:14 AM)
Halfway through September right now and this game still isn't really gripping me. Feels like reveals are being left until too late leaving little room for twists. The only story I'm interested in is Morgana's too and I still don't really feel like the big picture has been revealed even remotely though I'm pretty far in now.

P4G felt like it paced just about everything out better.
Rainy
Banned
(10-04-2017, 04:28 PM)
Question, what carries over to NG+?
Akuun
Looking for meaning in GAF
(10-04-2017, 06:12 PM)
deleted
Zertez
Member
(10-04-2017, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Rainy

Question, what carries over to NG+?

Stats like guts, charm etc, weapons, armor, fishing poles, skill cards, compendium, gifts for having a max soul link. Restorative items, exp levels, store bought gifts do not.
kromeo
Member
(10-04-2017, 07:08 PM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Akuun

I don't know the names of all the tracks, but among my favorites:

- boss music
- special boss music (Rivers in the Desert?)
- Bank Palace first half
- Casino palace
- ambient town music when it's raining

Rivers in the desert is the one when you fight shido when he goes into wrestler form

I think Futaba palace was my favourite music in the end
Linkstrikesback
Member
(10-04-2017, 07:21 PM)
Linkstrikesback's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

Man, as I approach the end game, my theory on who the traitor was going to be was way off:

I thought for sure it was going to be Mishima.

I considered it, but through the idea away for two reasons:


First, I noticed the pancake bit on the first playthrough as it happened, and it was obvious he already had his persona at that point, and then had to spend the majority of the game waiting for the phantom thieves to work it out.

Second was more that they let you max out Mishimas confidant at any time, which would have made me suspect he was just a normal confidant whenever I finished it. Plus, you meet his shadow in Mementos.


Originally Posted by SMD


Otherwise just give us Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2 with full social links.

After my own heart. I think in some ways, I liked TMS more than P5, not because it was better, but just because it was different. Of course, making a TMS2 might give the same problem that I had going from P3/P4G to P5 in that it's quite similar to what came before.
Loci
Member
(10-05-2017, 12:34 AM)
Loci's Avatar
Just finished the game, too. 129 hours..
The art style, menus, in-fight look, cut-scenes, anime sequences all looked amazing.
OST is good. Only a few songs sticking really out, tho.
Ending felt a bit tedious and it was missing the big bang for me. Didn't really grab me.
I liked the story. Really interesting topics picked up and connected them fairly well. I do feel there's space for improvements tho. It never hooked me and I've had some issues how those topics were narrated. Maybe a bit more serious and mature take would have improved the immersion. The story seems to be the only thing people complain about, next to the fairly bloated content towards the end.
The first 20 hours were a blast tho. Amazing experience from a game. Probably will do a NG+ run at some point.
SMD
Member
(10-05-2017, 08:03 AM)
SMD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Linkstrikesback

After my own heart. I think in some ways, I liked TMS more than P5, not because it was better, but just because it was different. Of course, making a TMS2 might give the same problem that I had going from P3/P4G to P5 in that it's quite similar to what came before.

Not to digress too much but I think TMS was a Persona game made on a budget (financially and hardware wise). I'm not complaining too much because they were pretty efficient in the final outcome - having Carnage instead of Persona was a nice solution to saving on all the models and balancing, plus there was more character development and interaction between the FE and TMS casts.
I think a fully backed TMS sequel could expand a lot on the concept of the Idolosphere, so you could finish a dungeon and create a link to the FE universe, then you go there and fight the source of the evil. Just doing that would roughly lengthen the game to around about P4G/P5 levels without having to create more of Tokyo in the process.
Adding social links and more character interactions would pretty much be full fat, no?

I was really disappointed that Persona didn't bring over Session Attacks, I know they had follow ups but they were random and just meant you got a critical. I loved the Session stuff because it made it feel like you were trying to maximise a combo, taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of the enemies. Do you go for a short one or pick the longer one that ends with a drained or repelled attack? It made for some really tense battles later on in TMS whereas in P5 I felt like I was banking on some buff/debuff loops. It was still fun but I didn't feel like it was a massive creative challenge.

Fingers crossed Nintendo and Atlus see some potential in it. I reckon a new TMS next year and an updated Persona 5 across all platforms in 2019 would be a great move.
UpDownLeftRight
Banned
(10-06-2017, 04:43 AM)
So somehow I beat all of P4G and most of P5 and only now discovered that you can buy SP items. These games would have been soooo much easier had I know the vending machines were actually worth going to.
Nictel
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:02 AM)

Originally Posted by UpDownLeftRight

So somehow I beat all of P4G and most of P5 and only now discovered that you can buy SP items. These games would have been soooo much easier had I know the vending machines were actually worth going to.

They have icons on the minimap :p. That said the SP is so marginal that they only help if you need just that little bit extra
kromeo
Member
(10-06-2017, 01:03 PM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by UpDownLeftRight

So somehow I beat all of P4G and most of P5 and only now discovered that you can buy SP items. These games would have been soooo much easier had I know the vending machines were actually worth going to.

Once you've maxed the temperance confidant you can make coffee and curry without time passing as well

Thread Tools