• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Jibbed
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:11 AM)
Jibbed's Avatar

Originally Posted by brotkasten

Amazing job from Mercedes, well done. Do we know anything about the race pace yet?

Ferrari is much closer on race pace fortunately.

I’m hoping the rain mixes things up a bit!
tomtom94
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:12 AM)
tomtom94's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yagami_Sama

Great job by Hamilton. Bottas scored the second position,which was kind of a surprise.Roo bad he will lost 5 positions.

I think that now Hamilton have a pole positions in all tracks of the current F1 calendar.

According to Liberty, he does.
DBT85
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:13 AM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by Upinsmoke

That's what the comms said Christian Horner told them

Half a second over red Bull yeah. They have nothing.

Ferrari have a cheat mode also.
Jibbed
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:15 AM)
Jibbed's Avatar
Mercedes’ magic mode is barely any quicker than Ferrari’s these days.

Lewis has 0.4ish seconds on everyone in sector 1, car is unbelievably hooked up.
DrM
Redmond's Baby
(10-07-2017, 08:15 AM)
DrM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jibbed

Ferrari is much closer on race pace fortunately.

I’m hoping the rain mixes things up a bit!

Ferrari is closer on supersofts, but behind on softs

No rain is predicted for tomorrow
Aiii
So not worth it
(10-07-2017, 08:17 AM)
Aiii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jibbed

They only run the car in quali mode in Q3.

Q1/2 is essentially the race mode.

So how come the two teams with qualy modes find more time between Q1 and Q2 than all the other people?

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-uitsla...an-japan-2017/

(Feel free to look up other races, this is not an anomoly)

There is a good .4s more in that engine between Q1 and Q2, a bit less for the red team, but they have a similar result.
DBT85
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:19 AM)
DBT85's Avatar
Because can poodle around in q1 and don't have to try?

What exactly is it you want? Only one engine mode? Because most teams profuse 6 in the race.
Aiii
So not worth it
(10-07-2017, 08:21 AM)
Aiii's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Because can poodle around in q1 and don't have to try?

What exactly is it you want? Only one engine mode? Because most teams profuse 6 in the race.

Ideally I would love just one engine mode, less complicated engines, more equality. Yep, would love that to bits.

Qualy is boring as fuck due to this.
theignoramus
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:22 AM)
theignoramus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aiii

I hate the Merc qualy mode, I really wish they would find a way to stop people tuning up engines over one lap.

It's not like Ferrari isn't capable of the same.
Jibbed
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:22 AM)
Jibbed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aiii

So how come the two teams with qualy modes find more time between Q1 and Q2 than all the other people?

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-uitsla...an-japan-2017/

(Feel free to look up other races, this is not an anomoly)

There is a good .4s more in that engine between Q1 and Q2, a bit less for the red team, but they have a similar result.

I think you’re forgetting that the drivers, especially in Ferrari and Mercedes, drive to a delta in Q1/Q2 because going all-out is pointless.

Both Kimi and Lewis were asking their engineer during the session what the ‘cut off’ was. They drive to beat that time, nothing more.

No point risking everything or wearing the engine down on magic mode if it’s not required.

They find all that time in Q2 just from a little more effort.
RSP
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:23 AM)
RSP's Avatar

Originally Posted by theignoramus

It's not like Ferrari isn't capable of the same.

But all others aren’t.
Aiii
So not worth it
(10-07-2017, 08:23 AM)
Aiii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jibbed

I think you’re forgetting that the drivers, especially in Ferrari and Mercedes, drive to a delta in Q1/Q2 because going all-out is pointless.

Both Kimi and Lewis were asking their engineer during the session what the ‘cut off’ was. They drive to beat that time, nothing more.

No point risking everything or wearing the engine down on magic mode if it’s not required.

They find all that time in Q2 just from a little more effort.

RBR drivers are the same, yet they find .4s less.
Jibbed
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:24 AM)
Jibbed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aiii

RBR drivers are the same, yet they find .4s less.

The car is around 1s slower so of course they’d find less, they’re much closer to the limit..

And Force India are right behind them.

Like I said, driving to a delta.
Upinsmoke
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:25 AM)
Upinsmoke's Avatar
Lauda saying when the Mercedes is slower it's related to the rears overheating in tracks with high track temps
theignoramus
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:26 AM)
theignoramus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Upinsmoke

Lauda saying when the Mercedes is slower it's related to the rears overheating in tracks with high track temps

So they'll be okay in Austin but maybe not Mexico or Brazil. They're lucky Abu Dhabi is at night.
John_B
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Aiii

Ideally I would love just one engine mode, less complicated engines, more equality. Yep, would love that to bits.

But it’s F1 and all teams are looking to find those sort of advantages. For how many seasons did Red Bull have wings with springs in them? McLaren had DRS before there was DRS. The list is endless.
nekkid
It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
(10-07-2017, 08:29 AM)
nekkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aiii

Ideally I would love just one engine mode, less complicated engines, more equality. Yep, would love that to bits.

Qualy is boring as fuck due to this.

But you can be forever chasing your tail to level the field in that way.

If you remove modes, you still have one manufacturer who does it better than the others. Do you then have a single manufacturer?

F1 is a sport about engineering excellence. Otherwise you’ve basically got A1 GP again.
Upinsmoke
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:30 AM)
Upinsmoke's Avatar

Originally Posted by theignoramus

So they'll be okay in Austin but maybe not Mexico or Brazil. They're lucky Abu Dhabi is at night.

Yeah. Max confirming it too basically just then. He said they expect more deg tomorrow in warmer temps. That's why they were quicker in Malaysia too because higher temps. He also said they are further behind here because the corners are much faster with the new tyres and aero so the corners are more like straights.
theignoramus
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:30 AM)
theignoramus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aiii

Ideally I would love just one engine mode, less complicated engines, more equality. Yep, would love that to bits.

Qualy is boring as fuck due to this.

Then watch Indy car racing. This is Formula 1.
Jibbed
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:31 AM)
Jibbed's Avatar

Originally Posted by theignoramus

Then watch Indy car racing. This is Formula 1.

IndyCar has engine modes LOL
theignoramus
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:35 AM)
theignoramus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jibbed

IndyCar has engine modes LOL

There's forced engine parity in that sport, is there not?
DBT85
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:38 AM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by RSP

But all others aren’t.

Renault are the ones that don't. Honda already run at 1500bhp so have no need for a magic mode.
nekkid
It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
(10-07-2017, 09:03 AM)
nekkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by theignoramus

There's forced engine parity in that sport, is there not?

That particular detail was incorrect, but their sentiment is right.

If you want hardware parity, and the only differentiators to be the drivers and the strategy, then there are other series to watch. That’s not what F1 is about.
DrM
Redmond's Baby
(10-07-2017, 09:12 AM)
DrM's Avatar
Lewis pole lap on board footage is insane
a.wd
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:15 AM)
a.wd's Avatar
Lewis smash! A good getaway and it's looking good for the mercs, just need bottas to cut through the beginning and put some pressure on vettel.
nekkid
It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
(10-07-2017, 09:17 AM)
nekkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by a.wd

Lewis smash! A good getaway and it's looking good for the mercs, just need bottas to cut through the beginning and put some pressure on vettel.

lol
RSP
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:20 AM)
RSP's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Renault are the ones that don't. Honda already run at 1500bhp so have no need for a magic mode.

But seriously, I think not even the customer Mercs or Ferraris have that mode available to them.
Zeknurn
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:24 AM)
Zeknurn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Upinsmoke

Lauda saying when the Mercedes is slower it's related to the rears overheating in tracks with high track temps

So what you're saying is that instead of sprinklers they should add asphalt heating to all the tracks?
Dr.Phibes
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 09:29 AM)
Dr.Phibes's Avatar
So, what happened to the "Ferrari is the faster car" folks?
GrizzleBoy
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Dr.Phibes

So, what happened to the "Ferrari is the faster car" folks?

Well there's a Lewis Hamilton in the Merc so.

Also, this is the one race in forever where both Mercs have been able to score a 1-2.

Also, quali is a couple of fast laps. Over a 50-70 lap grand prix, other cars have been much faster. Especially on the twisty tracks like Suzuka.

Also, even when Vettel was dominating in his RB, Hamilton was still always the one to steal pole positions off of him in a car that usually couldn't hang with the Red Bulls race pace. Hamilton is just fast in quali. It should always be expected.

Wait and see what happens tomorrow.
Ty4on
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:51 AM)
Ty4on's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeknurn

So what you're saying is that instead of sprinklers they should add asphalt heating to all the tracks?

Kimi to light his engine on fire and limp through the racing line.
Dilly
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:02 AM)
Dilly's Avatar
The Ferrari is more consistent than the Mercedes. Mercedes has higher highs and lower lows, and Vettel never capitalized on Mercedes' low points this season.

Also Hamilton has the ability to drag a subpar car to a salvaging performance.
DBT85
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:24 AM)
DBT85's Avatar
Assuming Hamilton stays in the sport until the next engine change, he could easily get 100 poles before he retires.

Originally Posted by RSP

But seriously, I think not even the customer Mercs or Ferraris have that mode available to them.

Commutator said that both Ferrari and the Merc customers have the mode available.

The issue with the Merc customers of course is that they don't have the car to put the power down like Merc do. It's also possible that they only turn it up to 10 and not 11 like the works team.
Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(10-07-2017, 10:42 AM)
Tempy's Avatar
Boring race, but Fukuzumi won the GP3 feature race at Jerez. Nice pass by Alesi for 8th place and reverse grid pole for the sprint race.
Fisico
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:59 AM)
Fisico's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tempy

Boring race, but Fukuzumi won the GP3 feature race at Jerez. Nice pass by Alesi for 8th place and reverse grid pole for the sprint race.

It's Alesi special skill to finish 8th on feature race apparently
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(10-07-2017, 11:05 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar
Hamilton could have done with bottles on the front row - Ferraris have had strong starts and first couple of laps and that could still see Vettel getting ahead of Hamilton. What’s Suzuka like for overtaking?
Terbinator
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:10 AM)
Terbinator's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Hamilton could have done with bottles on the front row - Ferraris have had strong starts and first couple of laps and that could still see Vettel getting ahead of Hamilton. What’s Suzuka like for overtaking?

Maybe Vettel will do to Ham what Ham did to Rosberg into T1/2.
Dan27
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:27 AM)
Dan27's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr.Phibes

So, what happened to the "Ferrari is the faster car" folks?

I think the Ferrari is the easier car to go fast.

EDIT: Just as I see the replay of Bottas almost plant it after Degner 2.
DBT85
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:29 AM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

What’s Suzuka like for overtaking?

Generally really hard as it's an older track so quite narrow.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(10-07-2017, 11:59 AM)
Any bets on whether or not Vettel gets to overtake Hamilton in a 1:1 fight?
Dan27
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:08 PM)
Dan27's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Generally really hard as it's an older track so quite narrow.

Yep. DRS zone is the front straight, sunless you get out of the corner right up the arse of the car in front out of the chicane, it will be a tight pass into turn 1.
Dilly
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:27 PM)
Dilly's Avatar
Palmer replaced by Sainz next race according to Autosport.
Dan27
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:35 PM)
Dan27's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dilly

Palmer replaced by Sainz next race according to Autosport.

Confirmed:

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault...e.html?lang=fr
killer_clank
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:37 PM)
killer_clank's Avatar

Originally Posted by brotkasten

Any bets on whether or not Vettel gets to overtake Hamilton in a 1:1 fight?

I can see it being like Spa, Vettel close in spots but never quite there and a sensational drive by Hamilton again.
Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(10-07-2017, 12:40 PM)
Tempy's Avatar
Guess Gasly's not going to be able to contest the last Super Formula race.
BigAl1992
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:41 PM)
BigAl1992's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dan27

Confirmed:

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault...e.html?lang=fr



So much for that watertight contract. Will be interesting to see how Sainz get along in the Renault.
Last edited by BigAl1992; 10-07-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Paradise Brunch
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:41 PM)
Paradise Brunch's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dan27

Confirmed:

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault...e.html?lang=fr

So it seems Gasly will participate USGP afterall.
nekkid
It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
(10-07-2017, 12:45 PM)
nekkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dan27

Confirmed:

https://www.renaultsport.com/renault...e.html?lang=fr

He’s not an amazing driver, but they really have treated him like shit with all this.
Zeknurn
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:45 PM)
Zeknurn's Avatar
And Kvyat is back.

What a silly season.
killer_clank
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:48 PM)
killer_clank's Avatar

Originally Posted by nekkid

He’s not an amazing driver, but they really have treated him like shit with all this.

Yup - a few races ago it seems they had agreed to give him the rest of the season after the rumours but a few races later LOL NOPE.

Formula one is a brutal business.

Thread Tools