• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

CookTrain
(09-16-2017, 03:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Faithless Mr.

This deserves GOTY.

This is the definition of a phenomenon. Not only that, but it is establishing or redefining a genre!

PlayerUnknown definitely had an idea and has refined it through his projects to the point where it's caught on like wildfire. Kudos to him.
SugarDave
Banned
(09-16-2017, 03:26 PM)
Congrats to them. I'm looking forward to jumping in, I'll bite when I can find it for around £15.
Soulblighter31
(09-16-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by PrismStar

But the combined number of ps plus and xbox gold users still lower than the number of the Steam user.

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audie...t-999b78aa77ae

" Classic “core gamers” — the ones that play most major hits or jump from indie game to indie game — are relatively rare when compared to overall gaming audience.

In fact, 1% of Steam gamers own 33% of all copies of games on Steam. 20% of Steam gamers own 88% of games. That’s even more than Pareto principle suggests.

So, to be a member of the “1% group” of Steam gamers you have to own 107 games or more. That’s not much considering how Steam is selling games at discount prices and how easy it is to obtain games in bundles.

We’re talking about 1.3M PC gamers that could fall into definition of “core gamer that buys several games per year”. And that’s including discounted games as well.

Of course we could extend it to, I don’t know, “softcore gamers” — the 20% that own 88% games. To be included you’d have to own 4 (FOUR) games or more on Steam — not exactly a huge number, right?

Let me repeat it once more, because it’s really important.

Various studies suggest that there are 700–800 million of PC gamers. It’s probably true, but it doesn’t mean much for your game. Because if you’re developing a downloadable game for Steam you’re not even fighting for 135M of its active users,

you’re fighting for the attention of 1.3 million gamers
that are actually buying lots of games.
"
JDB
(09-16-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by redfox088

Did you play to completion any of the other front runners?

yeah theyre kinda janky
cyba89
(09-16-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by SugarDave

Congrats to them. I'm looking forward to jumping in, I'll bite when I can find it for around £15.

Good luck on waiting til Winter sale 2019 then.
Stygr
(09-16-2017, 03:31 PM)
I'll be laughing so hard when i'll see GAF reaction if this game managed to win GOTY 2017.
lol
Last edited by Stygr; 09-16-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Spacejaws
(09-16-2017, 03:34 PM)
My playtime ja pretty much making a bitching steam controller setup. I'm really happy with it...until the next big update fucks it.

Just testing the config in a match and I got 4 kills, mosty I've ever had is 2 and shadowplay fucked up aaaaah!
Last edited by Spacejaws; 09-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.
pitchfork
(09-16-2017, 03:34 PM)
Roll on Xbox version

Chompin' at the bit to get in on the action!
Faithless Mr.
(09-16-2017, 03:35 PM)

Originally Posted by redfox088

Did you play to completion any of the other front runners?

Nope, but I don't think I have to in order bet on this one. And honestly, you don't have to play every game to be able to tell which one will actually have an impact on the industry.
paperboywriter
(09-16-2017, 03:36 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Dama

I suck so much at the game but Incant stop playing. The game is really good.

Same. We are so bad, my friend in particular
Cramoss
(09-16-2017, 03:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Stygr

I'll be laughing so hard when i see GAF reaction if this game mamaged to win GOTY 2017.
lol

Don't care about the game itself but I want to see this so bad
ldcommando
(09-16-2017, 03:41 PM)

I'll be laughing so hard when i see GAF reaction if this game mamaged to win GOTY 2017.
lol

It is getting my vote. Let's go
Crimsonclaw111
(09-16-2017, 03:42 PM)
King of the Kill weeps softly
CookTrain
(09-16-2017, 03:42 PM)

lol

What a crazy situation to be in. By all accounts, people are throwing hours and hours into this game and the player base reflects that...

... why would people be surprised that a game that a lot of people are enjoying spending a lot of time with is GOTY fodder? Is it a games as art thing or something? Don't we play to have fun?
Crimsonclaw111
(09-16-2017, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by CookTrain

What a crazy situation to be in. By all accounts, people are throwing hours and hours into this game and the player base reflects that...

... why would people be surprised that a game that a lot of people are enjoying spending a lot of time with is GOTY fodder? Is it a games as art thing or something? Don't we play to have fun?

It's because Gaf will have a meltdown if their single player GENERATION DEFINING AAA titles like Zelda and Persona 5 are toppled so easily by a $30 indie multiplayer shooter.

See also last year with Overwatch salt.
hanspampel
Banned
(09-16-2017, 03:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Soulblighter31

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audie...t-999b78aa77ae

" Classic “core gamers” — the ones that play most major hits or jump from indie game to indie game — are relatively rare when compared to overall gaming audience.

In fact, 1% of Steam gamers own 33% of all copies of games on Steam. 20% of Steam gamers own 88% of games. That’s even more than Pareto principle suggests.

So, to be a member of the “1% group” of Steam gamers you have to own 107 games or more. That’s not much considering how Steam is selling games at discount prices and how easy it is to obtain games in bundles.

We’re talking about 1.3M PC gamers that could fall into definition of “core gamer that buys several games per year”. And that’s including discounted games as well.

Of course we could extend it to, I don’t know, “softcore gamers” — the 20% that own 88% games. To be included you’d have to own 4 (FOUR) games or more on Steam — not exactly a huge number, right?

Let me repeat it once more, because it’s really important.

Various studies suggest that there are 700–800 million of PC gamers. It’s probably true, but it doesn’t mean much for your game. Because if you’re developing a downloadable game for Steam you’re not even fighting for 135M of its active users,

you’re fighting for the attention of 1.3 million gamers
that are actually buying lots of games.
"

wow thanks. didn't know that article yet
very good read...
Syf
(09-16-2017, 03:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Faithless Mr.

This deserves GOTY.

This is the definition of a phenomenon. Not only that, but it is establishing or redefining a genre!

But muh cinematic storylines
Faithless Mr.
(09-16-2017, 03:47 PM)

lol

Imagine the shitty BOTW vs HZD threads amounting to nothing. lol
MrCookiepants
(09-16-2017, 03:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Permanently A

GOTY without question

This narrative is so transparent.
Neo_MG90
(09-16-2017, 03:49 PM)
This is absolutely bananas.

The growth of this game is phenomenal and there is no sign of slowing down.

I don't know if this has already been posted but here is a comparison of playerbase growth between PUBG and Minecraft.

TheRedSnifit
(09-16-2017, 03:49 PM)

lol

I'm honestly kind of upset that a Souls or (proper) Naughty Dog game didn't come out this year.

Could you imagine if this beat Bloodborne 2 or The Last of Us 2? The forum would just explode. There would be actual fatalities.
Last edited by TheRedSnifit; 09-16-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Stygr
(09-16-2017, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by TheRedSnifit

I'm honestly kind of upset that a Souls or (proper) Uncharted game didn't come out this year.

Could you imagine if this beat Bloodborne 2?

I'll be a bit sad tho, i love Bloodborne, but in 2015 i was cheering for The Witcher 3 xD
Scrawnton
(09-16-2017, 03:54 PM)

I'll be laughing so hard when i'll see GAF reaction if this game managed to win GOTY 2017.
lol

For what it's worth, it'll probably win GOTY on gaf. NintendoGAF will be split between Zelda and Mario. PlaystationGAF will be split between Horizon, Nier, Persona, and Uncharted. XboxGaf and PCgaf will choose PUBG.
Lightning_Roller
(09-16-2017, 03:55 PM)
Goddamn. Congrats to Bluehole on the success.
Sloane
(09-16-2017, 03:56 PM)

lol

I wish but with Horizon, Zelda, and Mario ain't gonna happen.
kadotsu
What is it with people deriving enjoyment out of some speculative reaction to the speculative perceived slight of their current favorite game winning a press award. Then again, sitting in the plane with those people and having voice chat turned on it doesn't seem all that weird.
fourfourtwo
Does this beat Call of Duty MW2/BO1 around Christmas time in 2009/2010 (for most people concurrently online in a game)? I recall seeing 1m+ online concurrently, but I'm not sure if this was combined between PS3/360. It might well have been 2m+ between the two.
Aaron D.
(09-16-2017, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Cramoss

Don't care about the game itself but I want to see this so bad

This is where I'm at as well.

Zero interest in online shooters myself, but PUBG winning 'Gaf GOTY would be an incredible coup.
theWB27

Originally Posted by MrCookiepants

This narrative is so transparent.

What's the narrative?
Jumeira
I'll be buying this on my X. Amazing considering. didn't know what this game was until 3 weeks ago (around gamescon)
luulubuu

lol

HAHA Same! I will laugh so hard when a ficticious award that anyone can claim names this game that I like better game than rest!

EVEN IF THEY DONT SHARE EVEN THE PLATFORM, PREMISE, MECHANICS OR GENRE!

GET BENT, GAF!

biggest /s ever
watership
(09-16-2017, 03:58 PM)
Everyone will stop playing when it comes to Xbox. Then everyone will start playing again when it comes to PS4. Gaf told me so.
hanspampel
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrawnton

For what it's worth, it'll probably win GOTY on gaf. NintendoGAF will be split between Zelda and Mario. PlaystationGAF will be split between Horizon, Nier, Persona, and Uncharted. XboxGaf and PCgaf will choose PUBG.

PC- and XboxGaf is just not big enough
and you know GAF GOTY is points based?

so NintendoGaf will vote Zelda and Mario either #1 and #2

Uncharted was a 2016 game
it's Horizon and Persona for SonyGaf. Nier is likely lower
oti

lol

I'm looking forward to "Video games: The Website" giving PUBG GOTY in 2017. Since we know, only one website gives out GOTY.

What is up with Juniors going so hard into this narrative?
Scrawnton
(09-16-2017, 03:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Aaron D.

This is where I'm at as well.

Zero interest in online shooters myself, but PUBG winning 'Gaf GOTY would be an incredible coup.

The game has sold 10million copies in the 9th month of the year. It's hardly a coup. A coup would be if it dropped in October and the hype took it to victory because of it being fresh and new. It's been around long enough to prove its point and still be taken seriously.
Z3M0G
(09-16-2017, 04:00 PM)
Ill be all over this mode once Fortnite goes full F2P
Strakt
Nice! This and Destiny 2 are massive. Can't wait to see how high both of these games get.
XSX
I can't play it until I get an Xbox or PC but I wouldn't be sad to see it take home the GOTY. Well deserved. What a great success story.
rashbeep
(09-16-2017, 04:01 PM)
So should I start playing this game
Fakeknowledge
(09-16-2017, 04:02 PM)
Never played it, from a glance it looks like Day Z which i always intended on playing at some point.

What separates it and makes it special from similar games?
Syf

Originally Posted by rashbeep

No it's just a fad will be fizzling out any day now
oti

Why not try it?
luulubuu
(09-16-2017, 04:03 PM)

You are already playing.

texhnolyze
(09-16-2017, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Sloane

I wish but with Horizon, Zelda, and Mario ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, it's not gonna happen. PUBG is only big outside of GAF.
Usobuko
(09-16-2017, 04:04 PM)
Destiny needs to hurry up on the PC release to steal back the goty throne!
Loxley
(09-16-2017, 04:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Qassim

How the fuck has it gone from 1m -> 1.3m in such a short period of time?!

Originally Posted by CountAntonius

The power of twitch.

0racle
(09-16-2017, 04:05 PM)
I never played the game, is it meant to play in third person all the time? I take it your at a huge disadvantage to play in 1st?
oti

Originally Posted by Qassim

How the fuck has it gone from 1m -> 1.3m in such a short period of time?! This game is a monster.

It's THE game to play this year on PC, Twitch, China.
Blam
THE TRAIN NEVER STOPS.

Originally Posted by 0racle

I never played the game, is it meant to play in third person all the time? I take it your at a huge disadvantage to play in 1st?

There is 2 distinct modes for the game FPP which is first person and just third person which lets you switch between both.
unrealist
(09-16-2017, 04:06 PM)

PUBG is a good counter example of a mediocre game doing well.