• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Kaizer
Member
(09-18-2017, 11:10 PM)
Kaizer's Avatar
Gotta admit, I'm not hating it as much as the critical consensus led me to believe I would. It's nothing special by any stretch of the imagination, but I end up feeling like it could either be A LOT worse or slightly better. Some of the jokes don't land, others do, and the tone is uneven, but as a very casual Trek fan, I kinda like it.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(09-18-2017, 11:11 PM)
firehawk12's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammex

Are the Trek fans in here enjoying this cos it looks like Trek? I think the writing is terrible and the characters shallow one dimensional jokes. I watch some pretty average tv and this show is fine light entertainment if you want something you don't have to think about, but after the amount of scorn in the star trek discovery threads I thought the criticism in here would be fierce. Harry Kim had more personality than this crew.

I've watched the two episodes and it's such a rip off that it gives me that familiar feeling of tng/ds9/voy purely from a visual style but everything else is really lacking. Id love it to get better but it needs to decide what it wants to be. If it's a star trek comedy then the characters need to be more likeable and the jokes better. If it's a drama with some levity then the characters need to interesting. I'm not even sure if the cast is good enough to pull off serious.

I mean, take out the comedy (and there isn't any, really) and the 20th century references (like Real Housewives) and it's basically Star Trek of the 90s and 00s.

Everyone is either doing grimdark serialized stuff or doing Star Wars ripoffs instead, so... pretty much your only option if you are a fan of old Trek.
Apt101
Member
(09-18-2017, 11:23 PM)
Apt101's Avatar
ep2 was way better than ep1. In pretty much every way.
mid83
Member
(09-18-2017, 11:27 PM)
Maybe Iíll give this a try after seeing some positive reactions from episode 2. Plus, the ratings seem to be doin well thus far, so maybe this show is sticking around.
UnknownSpirit
Junior Member
(09-18-2017, 11:57 PM)
Man I wish this show would pick something.

This episode was better and I felt the middle of it, when there was very little humor and just drama and everything was actually done well.

I like this show I'm glad it's doing well.. but man I wish I could figure out what it wants to be.

And it still has time to adjust what it wants to be.

I legitimately enjoyed the Entire Alara commanding story and even enjoyed the scene between Mercer and Greyson on the couch before the reveal of them being in a zoo.

And man, this show is more and more feeling like Star Trek and I'm okay with that.
jerry113
Member
(09-19-2017, 12:30 AM)

Originally Posted by sarcastor

if you ignore the bad jokes, its just another episode of STNG, so its okay. I just wish they either made it actual scifi or a parody of ST.

also it turns out Lt Kitan is strikingly beautiful

she's hot in the show too

she's my new waifu
J_Viper
Member
(09-19-2017, 12:34 AM)
J_Viper's Avatar
Almost done with the pilot

I went in expecting hot garbage, but I'm actually kinda enjoying it. The Family Guy humor is often jarring, but I find myself chuckling a few times.

Cast seems solid too, even Seth. Okay, he's not great, but he's really trying.

I wonder why all the review outlets had their knives out for this. Even when the jokes don't land, they're never that bad.

<3 Adrianne
PeakPointMatrix
Member
(09-19-2017, 12:35 AM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar
Seth is just so distracting on this. The show would have been twice as good had he cast someone else as the lead.
UnknownSpirit
Junior Member
(09-19-2017, 01:22 AM)
Okay the "Well you're not Frankenberry so shut up" line made me laugh.
Fenderputty
Member
(09-19-2017, 01:31 AM)
Fenderputty's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Forgive me I didn't mean casual as in, for casuals. I mean the crew are too casual for me. Getting weed from the replicator, general orders and stuff being a bit matey. It's like no command structure in history and takes me out of what it could be.
.

Yeah but the show trying to draw casuals is why the crew is, casual. My wife laughed at pot brownies more than the Star Wars joke because she didn't understand the nerd war between the two franchises.

For better or worse, they're trying to target a wider audience than just six fi fans.
Chronoja
Member
(09-19-2017, 01:37 AM)
Chronoja's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnknownSpirit

Man I wish this show would pick something.

This episode was better and I felt the middle of it, when there was very little humor and just drama and everything was actually done well.

I like this show I'm glad it's doing well.. but man I wish I could figure out what it wants to be.

And it still has time to adjust what it wants to be.

I legitimately enjoyed the Entire Alara commanding story and even enjoyed the scene between Mercer and Greyson on the couch before the reveal of them being in a zoo.

And man, this show is more and more feeling like Star Trek and I'm okay with that.

I agree, the 2nd episode played things straighter and it paid off a lot more for it. And the low key humour that subverts expectations works the best (for me that is of course). For example, I may not have laughed out loud at the revealed items that were traded but that was funny almost on an introspective level. If anything this episode riffing on "The Cage" was a good thing because it shows that subverting Star Treks typical "utopian" ideals with a "well, actually..." mentality can work well. Even though some parts fell flat for me, I didn't hate it.
Valar Morghulis
Member
(09-19-2017, 01:44 AM)
Valar Morghulis's Avatar

Originally Posted by PeakPointMatrix

Seth is just so distracting on this. The show would have been twice as good had he cast someone else as the lead.

I disagree, I think hes great in it and I usually can't watch anything with him in it because I find him exactly that, distracting.
Timu
Member
(09-19-2017, 02:03 AM)
Timu's Avatar
This show is still bad so far, but at least it's not Bordertown, the worst show Seth ever worked on.

The production values, music and hotness of Halston Sage are probably the best things about this show. Humor, writing, tone, pacing, etc., needs work badly. It still has a tough time deciding whenever to be funny or serious, and usually it doesn't work well. In fact the action seems more well done than anything else.

Seth MacFarlane shows used to make me laugh, now I cringe when I watch his later shows often.
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(09-19-2017, 03:24 AM)
jiji's Avatar
Second episode was better, more even. There were still plenty of stinkers in the jokes, but at least I didn't have to suspend disbelief for characters taking time out for a comedy routine. It's more of a generally irreverent tone this time around.

Still shows Macfarlane's weakness at writing sci-fi. Isn't the setup for this one just "The Cage"? And it's been done better.

This show is SO comfy for a 90s Trek fan. I wonder if they left out the transporters so that they would have one reason why the show isn't Star Trek.
Mr. Pointy
Member
(09-19-2017, 03:34 AM)
Mr. Pointy's Avatar
What I ultimately want from The Orville is a well-crafted, off brand TNG / Voyager show with good casual banter and a couple of good jokes that don't bring the plot to a screeching halt.

I'm not certain I'll get all of that because I know what Seth MacFarlane is like.
Lulzwagon
Member
(09-19-2017, 03:51 AM)
Lulzwagon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis

I disagree, I think hes great in it and I usually can't watch anything with him in it because I find him exactly that, distracting.

Agreed. Definitely his best live action performance so far.
Timu
Member
(09-19-2017, 03:55 AM)
Timu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lulzwagon

Agreed. Definitely his best live action performance so far.

Even better than Logan Lucky(which I still need to watch)? Also, he has a long ways to go still.
Lulzwagon
Member
(09-19-2017, 03:59 AM)
Lulzwagon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Timu

Even better than Logan Lucky? Also, he has a long ways to go still.

Yes although that was much better than I expected it to be too. He was like a live action cartoon character there and he fit the movie well.

Regardless, I even noticed an improvement between episodes 1 and 2 here, so I have hope!
Ricker
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:08 AM)
Ricker's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnknownSpirit

Okay the "Well you're not Frankenberry so shut up" line made me laugh.

Yep lol...his delivery was perfect on that one ;)
WillyFive
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:09 AM)
WillyFive's Avatar
Seth needs to grow a beard.
Frankie Williamson
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:10 AM)
Frankie Williamson's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Pointy

What I ultimately want from The Orville is a well-crafted, off brand TNG / Voyager show with good casual banter and a couple of good jokes that don't bring the plot to a screeching halt.

I'm not certain I'll get all of that because I know what Seth MacFarlane is like.

I found the banter dreadful to sit through. Every time I found myself liking it, the show would smash that feeling to pieces with something I hate. Really rough.

I also can't stand Seth McFarlane in front of the camera. Everything he's been in would be better with someone else in his role.
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(09-19-2017, 04:11 AM)
jiji's Avatar

Originally Posted by WillyFive

Seth needs to grow a beard.

Have to wait for season 2 for that.
Meowster
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:12 AM)
Meowster's Avatar
We watched it today (the first episode) and I'm really not quite sure what to make of it. I'll probably give it an episode or two to see if it really figures out what it wants to be. It is just so weird. The cast is a lot of fun for me though and some jokes landed rather nicely.
davepoobond
you can't put a price on sparks
(09-19-2017, 04:20 AM)
davepoobond's Avatar
The second episode is horrible

This show doesn't need to be a full hour
ghostmind
Slightly Aroused
(09-19-2017, 04:24 AM)
ghostmind's Avatar
Well, the first episode wasn't the abomination that I had expected, but it is inferior to the second.

Hopefully the show continues to improve, because I enjoy watching it.
-Gozer-
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:30 AM)
-Gozer-'s Avatar
I feel like the second episode should've aired closer to the end of the season.

Crew member saying that the captain would've disobeyed a direct order and put the whole ship in danger to look for some lost crew members didn't really make sense to me. Why would they think that? They just met. They have no idea what sort of person or captain he is. Also, everybody cheering in the mess hall when the acting captain decides to disobey orders also puts me off for the exact same reason.

These reactions would make more sense if it felt like that crew had spent much more time together.

Or maybe I'm taking this show bit too seriously.
Lulzwagon
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:35 AM)
Lulzwagon's Avatar

Originally Posted by -Gozer-

I feel like the second episode should've aired closer to the end of the season.

Crew member saying that the captain would've disobeyed a direct order and put the whole ship in danger to look for some lost crew members didn't really make sense to me. Why would they think that? They just met. They have no idea what sort of person or captain he is. Also, everybody cheering in the mess hall when the acting captain decides to disobey orders also puts me off for the exact same reason.

These reactions would make more sense if it felt like that crew had spent much more time together.

Or maybe I'm taking this show bit too seriously.

To be fair, that was said by Scott Grimes' character who is best friends with MacFarlane, so that line makes perfect sense.

I'll give you the cheering though - that caught me off guard too. Half of these background characters probably haven't even met him yet!

But we are probably overthinking.
Sesuadra
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:42 AM)
Sesuadra's Avatar

Originally Posted by firehawk12

I mean, take out the comedy (and there isn't any, really) and the 20th century references (like Real Housewives) and it's basically Star Trek of the 90s and 00s.

Everyone is either doing grimdark serialized stuff or doing Star Wars ripoffs instead, so... pretty much your only option if you are a fan of old Trek.

Thatís how we feel. Everything is so negative and dark in sci-fi space shows these days.
Itís nice, fluffy, has some good and some bad jokes but is overall enjoyable.

Looking forward to the next episode
-Gozer-
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:46 AM)
-Gozer-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Lulzwagon

To be fair, that was said by Scott Grimes' character who is best friends with MacFarlane, so that line makes perfect sense.

I'll give you the cheering though - that caught me off guard too. Half of these background characters probably haven't even met him yet!

But we are probably overthinking.

Ah, my memory is shit. For some reason I had it in my head that John LaMarr had said that.

Edit:

You know I thought Scott Grimes looked familiar.

I just re watched Critters and Critters 2 a few days ago. Haven't seen those movies in a long time.

Maybe they could do a Critters reference. After all, it is a Seth MacFarlane show.

Kill Crites.
Last edited by -Gozer-; 09-19-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Kalentan
Member
(09-19-2017, 06:08 AM)
Kalentan's Avatar
I honestly like it! It's not perfect and it's rough but I think it can improve and I think I shall stick with it to see if it can!

Originally Posted by Lulzwagon

To be fair, that was said by Scott Grimes' character who is best friends with MacFarlane, so that line makes perfect sense.

I'll give you the cheering though - that caught me off guard too. Half of these background characters probably haven't even met him yet!

But we are probably overthinking.

Well do remember, they don't arrive at their destinations instantly. They've been on the ship for a few weeks now. (Considering they said it would take 21(?) days for the Egg to hatch and it hatched in the same episode.)
DBT85
Member
(09-19-2017, 07:58 AM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fenderputty

Yeah but the show trying to draw casuals is why the crew is, casual. My wife laughed at pot brownies more than the Star Wars joke because she didn't understand the nerd war between the two franchises.

For better or worse, they're trying to target a wider audience than just six fi fans.

Therearedozensofus.gif
Himynameischris
(09-19-2017, 08:47 AM)
Himynameischris's Avatar
I liked episode two more...but man it's like a retelling of Star Trek, hopefully it finds it's own feet before it gets canceled
Cheebo
Cheebs
(09-19-2017, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Himynameischris

I liked episode two more...but man it's like a retelling of Star Trek, hopefully it finds it's own feet before it gets canceled

This is in no risk of being cancelled based on the ratings of the first two episodes.

Originally Posted by davepoobond

The second episode is horrible

This show doesn't need to be a full hour

How can you do a sci-fi drama in a half hour? It is by no means a comedy, that is clear two episodes in. It's more Star Trek TNG with some light bits of comedy rather than an actual comedy show.
Last edited by Cheebo; 09-19-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Timu
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:16 PM)
Timu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheebo




How can you do a sci-fi drama in a half hour? It is by no means a comedy, that is clear two episodes in.

It feels like one when the 1st episode had 20+ jokes in it and come up every few minutes.
PleaseDontBanMe
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:40 PM)
PleaseDontBanMe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheebo

This is in no risk of being cancelled based on the ratings of the first two episodes.


this is good news, I love the show and would like at the very least 3-4 seasons
Wag
Junior Member
(09-19-2017, 04:49 PM)
Wag's Avatar
It's not a Trek parody at all. I see it as more a Trek homage with some jokes/pop-culture references peppered in.
davepoobond
you can't put a price on sparks
(09-19-2017, 04:54 PM)
davepoobond's Avatar
Frankenberry joke was perfect. Needs more of that IMO


Originally Posted by Cheebo

This is in no risk of being cancelled based on the ratings of the first two episodes.



How can you do a sci-fi drama in a half hour? It is by no means a comedy, that is clear two episodes in. It's more Star Trek TNG with some light bits of comedy rather than an actual comedy show.


Well considering they are writing a 22 min episode and stretching it out to 44 minutes right now, it would be doable for them.

They're not even attempting at addressing any profound philosophical issues so they don't really need to have all of that extra time to flesh out their simple storylines.
Fenderputty
Member
(09-19-2017, 04:59 PM)
Fenderputty's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

Therearedozensofus.gif

I'm surprised it was an "i" and not an "e" in that typo. lol

If you're watching a Seth production of a trek rip off for profound philosophical issues i'ts you're own damn fault you don't like the show lol
Cheebo
Cheebs
(09-19-2017, 07:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Wag

It's not a Trek parody at all. I see it as more a Trek homage with some jokes/pop-culture references peppered in.

That's how it feels, why I couldn't see it working with a 22 minute run time.
BlackBanditSho
Member
(09-19-2017, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Wag

It's not a Trek parody at all. I see it as more a Trek homage with some jokes/pop-culture references peppered in.

I think this is exactly what it is. I enjoyed ep2 enough to confidently say that i'm down to enjoy the whole series if it keeps this balance in tone. It feels like its made by people who legitimately love Trek.

I'm VERY curious about where Discovery is going to land. I'm feeling very cynical.
whyamihere
Member
(09-19-2017, 07:26 PM)
whyamihere's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheebo

This is in no risk of being cancelled based on the ratings of the first two episodes.

Not really something you can say yet. It's had a huge football lead in twice and hasn't been in its normal timeslot.

It's on its own this week.
BlackBanditSho
Member
(09-19-2017, 07:28 PM)

Originally Posted by whyamihere

Not really something you can say yet. It's had a huge football lead in twice and hasn't been in its normal timeslot.

It's on its own this week.

Well fingers crossed. Every show that i tend to enjoy gets cancelled. Every time. Here's hoping this breaks the trend.
Xenus
Member
(09-19-2017, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by whyamihere

Not really something you can say yet. It's had a huge football lead in twice and hasn't been in its normal timeslot.

It's on its own this week.

I never really got why networks do this. If it's doing well in it's spot leave it in it's spot. Don't potentially kill it to prop up ratings on another day.
Pilgrimzero
Member
(09-19-2017, 09:43 PM)
Pilgrimzero's Avatar
I like it, though I find the references to modern stuff weird.

Like the far future remembers Dora the Explorer? And old reality television shows?
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(09-19-2017, 09:45 PM)
jiji's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pilgrimzero

I like it, though I find the references to modern stuff weird.

Like the far future remembers Dora the Explorer? And old reality television shows?

I don't think MacFarlane knows how to write comedy without pop culture references.
nOoblet16
Member
(09-21-2017, 12:04 PM)
nOoblet16's Avatar
I saw the 2 episodes and I'll watch it solely cause it looks like Star Trek. However I'm not sure what this is trying to do, it's certainly not comedy or a spoof but it's not totally serious. Which leaves it in a weird place because it's like it wants to do TNG era Star Trek drama but holds itself off as if it wants to spoof it but it doesn't even do that and comes off as just boring.
Captain Skeleton
Member
(09-21-2017, 12:08 PM)
Captain Skeleton's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

I saw the 2 episodes and I'll watch it solely cause it looks like Star Trek. However I'm not sure what this is trying to do, it's certainly not comedy or a spoof but it's not totally serious. Which leaves it in a weird place because it's like it wants to do TNG era Star Trek drama but holds itself off as if it wants to spoof it but it doesn't even do that and comes off as just boring.

Exactly my issues with it. The whole thing just feels wierd and clunky. Like Seth Macfarlane found a Star Trek like script and just added in some jokes.
gaiadyne
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:20 AM)
gaiadyne's Avatar
Reminder that Episode 3 will air today after Gotham finishes
compo
Member
(09-22-2017, 01:59 AM)
compo's Avatar
T-minus one minute, with no football bs this time
gaiadyne
Member
(09-22-2017, 02:04 AM)
gaiadyne's Avatar
Norm's slime character is recurring...

Thread Tools