• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

oxrock
Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
(06-03-2017, 09:01 PM)
oxrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slamtastic



Blocking out divisions of body parts on a voxel model (lighting off).

Hoping to create a game featuring randomized creatures made from mixed and matched pieces.

Oh I like that idea, get some frankenvoxel action happening. I had to tackle conjoining random voxel pieces for the equipment generation system in my voxel game as well. Will the different pieces have defined characteristics/stats or is it simply cosmetic?
jahasaja
Member
(06-03-2017, 09:11 PM)
Need some help with marketing.

Working on my second game and I have around 2 years left until everything is done. My plan right now is to spend all the marketing budget in the very end to try to get some exposure and get some notice on websites.

Not sure if this is the right approach. On the first game I tried twitter, Screenshot Saturday and indiedb but it did not feel like time well spent. Any thoughts on how to get exposure?
Pehesse
Member
(06-03-2017, 10:13 PM)
Pehesse's Avatar
So, there it is, an attempt at an animation timelapse, with some commentary using the subtitles. Hope it's interesting!

https://youtu.be/40QQDL5KqCM
K Monkey
Member
(06-03-2017, 10:49 PM)
K Monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

So, there it is, an attempt at an animation timelapse, with some commentary using the subtitles. Hope it's interesting!

https://youtu.be/40QQDL5KqCM

thanks for taking the time in posting this. Its fantastic to see the process :)
Pehesse
Member
(06-03-2017, 11:16 PM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by K Monkey

thanks for taking the time in posting this. Its fantastic to see the process :)

Hey, you're very welcome - I'm glad it interests anyone in the first place ,:-D
bumpkin
Member
(06-03-2017, 11:25 PM)
bumpkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

So, there it is, an attempt at an animation timelapse, with some commentary using the subtitles. Hope it's interesting!

https://youtu.be/40QQDL5KqCM

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

Do you draw stuff on paper first and scan it in?
Pehesse
Member
(06-03-2017, 11:31 PM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by bumpkin

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

Do you draw stuff on paper first and scan it in?

Thanks! And no, it's all done the same way - I didn't think to record the sketching phase (the actual animation phase, in fact, but here it was so loose I basically re-animated huge chunks, which is why I chose this animation to showcase). They're the blue sketches, and it's essentially the same thing, just looser, and blue :-D
SpacePirate Ridley
Member
(06-04-2017, 12:00 AM)
SpacePirate Ridley's Avatar

Originally Posted by bearbytes

Nice, I'm digging the style here.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Pehesse

Well, you prompted me to try one, so keep an eye out, I have a video coming of an animation cleanup timelapse, hopefully it'll be of interest to you and/or others :-)



I like it (and I feel you for the compression issues!). The one thing I might raise concerns about is the dialog font: I'm not a fan of serif fonts for use in text heavy games, as it makes it slightly harder to read on a screen - and I don't think it's the best fit with the rest of the aesthetic, either. If you've got another sans serif one handy (or best, a choice of several for the player to customize) I think it might help, though it can of course also work as is :-)

The gif is horrible, but I thought it was very readable on the game becuase of its thinkness. It was a little but inspired on the Persona4 font that Ive always found really readable. But maybe you are right, any idea of a free font that I could test for this type of aesthetic?
HP_Wuvcraft
Banned
(06-04-2017, 12:01 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
Good idea: launching before the Steam Summer Sale in order to have two games in it instead of one.

Bad idea: launching before the Steam Summer Sale.
Minamu
Member
(06-04-2017, 01:27 AM)
Minamu's Avatar
We've added a great Hunter feature recently. We've noticed a lot that playing as the Hunter tends to mean wandering the levels with no clear goal because it's borderline impossible to find another player sometimes by anything other than sheer luck. So now we have a great pinging ability, where if the Hunter stands still for a few seconds, a particle effect emanates from each player's current position and moves toward the Hunter. Each particle is color coded so you know who is in which direction. The camera does a short pull-out so you get a better overview as well. Small addition with a lot of consequences for strategies.
Makai
Member
(06-04-2017, 01:28 AM)
Makai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Temathael

The eccentric puzzle game I've been working with my team of friends for the past year was finally released on Steam last week :)
Steam link



Grab the Bottle is basically a game where the player controls an infinitely stretchy arm and solves puzzles by grabbing and pulling different objects, while also avoiding hitting anything. While the gameplay is bit simplistic, the game is supposed to be carried by the unique mechanic of solving puzzles. Bit like a mixture of physics puzzles, operation and Snake. With graphics we tried paying homage to old-school games like The Incredible Machine, mixing in pop art.

It is our first real PC game (And first Unity game) outside of Game Jam projects and we learned so much during the year, especially about importance of scope management. The idea was to use only few months, but yeah. Didn't happen so easily.

I'm happy and proud of our small team to have it finally completed.

woah
Pehesse
Member
(06-04-2017, 09:11 AM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpacePirate Ridley

The gif is horrible, but I thought it was very readable on the game becuase of its thinkness. It was a little but inspired on the Persona4 font that Ive always found really readable. But maybe you are right, any idea of a free font that I could test for this type of aesthetic?

It may really be a matter of personal preference, but anything sans serif would be better for me. Persona 4 actually uses a sans serif font (both in the PS2 original and in Golden):

(Unless you refer to the font for the title, but then, I'd argue that's exactly why they use it for the title only, and not the in-game text... anything serif in a text-heavy game makes for more difficult reading!)

I don't have any specific recommendation for a sans serif font, as it's much too broad a family to recommend one. Just in case: it's basically any font that doesn't have the slight extrusions at the end of the letters.

Some of my fav. free sans serif fonts: Amaranth, Komika, Open Dyslexic, Lato. But again, it's a *very* big domain to sift through and you may have other ideas that'll fit your game's aesthetic better!
_Rob_
Member
(06-04-2017, 09:35 AM)
_Rob_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

So, there it is, an attempt at an animation timelapse, with some commentary using the subtitles. Hope it's interesting!

https://youtu.be/40QQDL5KqCM

Fantastic stuff, accompanied my morning coffee very nicely! I had no idea people used PS for animation, I always assumed you'd be using a specific animation package.
Dynamite Shikoku
Congratulations, you really deserve it!
(06-04-2017, 09:59 AM)
Dynamite Shikoku's Avatar

Originally Posted by jahasaja

Need some help with marketing.

Working on my second game and I have around 2 years left until everything is done. My plan right now is to spend all the marketing budget in the very end to try to get some exposure and get some notice on websites.

Not sure if this is the right approach. On the first game I tried twitter, Screenshot Saturday and indiedb but it did not feel like time well spent. Any thoughts on how to get exposure?

What about trying to get a publisher? I think marketing is the hardest thing for an indie dev to do alone
jahasaja
Member
(06-04-2017, 10:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Dynamite Shikoku

What about trying to get a publisher? I think marketing is the hardest thing for an indie dev to do alone

I have been thinking about that. I have no idea which publisher would be good for indie games and which publisher would be interested but it definitely and option I am thinking about.
SpacePirate Ridley
Member
(06-04-2017, 11:24 AM)
SpacePirate Ridley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

It may really be a matter of personal preference, but anything sans serif would be better for me. Persona 4 actually uses a sans serif font (both in the PS2 original and in Golden):



(Unless you refer to the font for the title, but then, I'd argue that's exactly why they use it for the title only, and not the in-game text... anything serif in a text-heavy game makes for more difficult reading!)

I don't have any specific recommendation for a sans serif font, as it's much too broad a family to recommend one. Just in case: it's basically any font that doesn't have the slight extrusions at the end of the letters.

Some of my fav. free sans serif fonts: Amaranth, Komika, Open Dyslexic, Lato. But again, it's a *very* big domain to sift through and you may have other ideas that'll fit your game's aesthetic better!

While persona 4 is not serif, the one I chose was a mix between that (thickness , shape of letters) and the typical typography of sitcom titles and credits (the serif italic aspect)

We will test it with more people and see how they react to it, and test also with some of your examples (not komika though, I want to stay as far as I can of any comic like fonts as possible).
Thanks Pehesse!
Pehesse
Member
(06-04-2017, 11:53 AM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpacePirate Ridley

While persona 4 is not serif, the one I chose was a mix between that (thickness , shape of letters) and the typical typography of sitcom titles and credits (the serif italic aspect)

We will test it with more people and see how they react to it, and test also with some of your examples (not komika though, I want to stay as far as I can of any comic like fonts as possible).
Thanks Pehesse!

If you want something wide, thick and close to P4's, maybe try Verdana?

Originally Posted by _Rob_

Fantastic stuff, accompanied my morning coffee very nicely! I had no idea people used PS for animation, I always assumed you'd be using a specific animation package.

Glad you enjoyed it :-D And yeah, no, it's all photoshop, that's what I was talking about earlier when I said there was no special technique or tool to showcase. You could use just about any drawing software to do this, as long as it had layers, which is most of them at this point :-D

Originally Posted by jahasaja

Need some help with marketing.

Working on my second game and I have around 2 years left until everything is done. My plan right now is to spend all the marketing budget in the very end to try to get some exposure and get some notice on websites.

Not sure if this is the right approach. On the first game I tried twitter, Screenshot Saturday and indiedb but it did not feel like time well spent. Any thoughts on how to get exposure?

Maybe this article regarding indie marketing/pricing will have useful things for you? I'm actually in a similar situation (second game, a few years off) but I'd actually recommend showing it as early as you can (screenshot saturday on twitter/cartrdge/TIG source - and not just on your devlog, but also on the dedicated topics, etc.) It's the cheapest form of marketing you can get, and it's easier to build slowly but steadily over a long time, rather than try to jumpstart it at the tail end of your project. As far as where to spend the most time, your mileage will vary as different communities react differently to different types of games/articles/media - for my own purposes, I found twitter to work best through animated GIFS and small video clips, TIG source for more indepth dev information (making ofs, technical considerations, etc). IndieDB I couldn't quite figure out, but some did, so you might need to ask them what their experience there was.

If your new game is in a similar vein/genre to your first, you can also contact those who enjoyed your first game and talked about it, see if they'd be interested in the second? There are also more general "indie exposition" groups, such as ProjectMQ, than you can contact, see if they can help you spread word about your work.

Regarding publishers, some notorious "indie friendly" publishers would be Adult Swim and Devolver, though I'd primarily recommend contacting smaller outlets first based on their catalogue (try to find those whose approach fit your own). Some recent examples: Raw Fury, Humble Publishing... you can also consider contacting the Indie Fund (I'm fairly sure Team Cherry did that in addition to their Kickstarter, you might want to ask them for more details about how it went for them?).

All in all, my recommendation would be not to dump stuff someplace and then hope people will see/care - the market is much too saturated for that to work anymore. Build your community early, build it slowly, and build it through direct communication with your audience, not just "PR talk". Though as with everything... YMMV!
BlizzKrut
Member
(06-04-2017, 11:57 AM)
BlizzKrut's Avatar

Originally Posted by friken

Some of you may recall I was working on StarDiver a while back (long while). It has been a rough ride life wise and only recently got back to dev after over a year off it. I was working on a hyperspace travel effect shader and wanted fractal trippy visuals for that effect. In my research I decided to play w volume ray casting. I loved the results and decided I needed to do an art project for burningman out of it by driving the fractal math with audio spectrum data. What I link to here is a build I used to project on our sound camp DJ tent during a regional burn last weekend.

Maybe this will be a much needed distraction to build some uumph to get back on StarDiver fulltime. If you have a few minutes, please download and run this dev build and message me the following: gpu model, resolution ran, and average fps. Spacebar pauses, mouse button-drag pans camera, scroller zooms, middle button drag pans. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rt4424sl4...Demo1.zip?dl=0


This looks terrific! I'd love to know how you managed to do this.
jahasaja
Member
(06-04-2017, 12:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Pehesse


Maybe this article regarding indie marketing/pricing will have useful things for you? I'm actually in a similar situation (second game, a few years off) but I'd actually recommend showing it as early as you can (screenshot saturday on twitter/cartdrge/TIG source - and not just on your devlog, but also on the dedicated topics, etc.) It's the cheapest form of marketing you can get, and it's easier to build slowly but steadily over a long time, rather than try to jumpstart it at the tail end of your project. As far as where to spend the most time, your mileage will vary as different communities react differently to different types of games/articles/media - for my own purposes, I found twitter to work best through animated GIFS and small video clips, TIG source for more indepth dev information (making ofs, technical considerations, etc). IndieDB I couldn't quite figure out, but some did, so you might need to ask them what their experience there was.

If your new game is in a similar vein/genre to your first, you can also contact those who enjoyed your first game and talked about it, see if they'd be interested in the second? There are also more general "indie exposition" groups, such as ProjectMQ, than you can contact, see if they can help you spread word about your work.

Regarding publishers, some notorious "indie friendly" publishers would be Adult Swim and Devlover, though I'd primarily recommend contact smaller outlets first based on their catalogue (try to find those whose approach fit your own). Some recent examples: Raw Fury, Humble Publishing... you can also consider contacting the Indie Fund (I'm fairly sure Team Cherry did that in addition to their Kickstarter, you might want to ask them for more details about how it went for them?).

All in all, my recommendation would be not to dump stuff someplace and then hope people will see/care - the market is much too saturated for that to work anymore. Build your community early, build it slowly, and build it through direct communication with your audience, not just "PR talk". Though as with everything... YMMV!

Thanks for the information! The article was great I have not seen that one before.

Yeah, I will see when I have time build the community (full time Job and children) . My main problem is probably that when I tried last time that everybody I reached was developer themselves. I think that is the main problem with ScreenShoot Staurday and TIG is that 90 % of the people there are also developers.

First, I will reread the article you sent a few times and think what I should do..
shysaursoft
Member
(06-04-2017, 03:21 PM)
shysaursoft's Avatar
Much to my delight, people have started speedrunning Rex: Another Island as I'd hoped they would. So far nobody's discovered all the little tricks and paths yet, but even I've learned a few new things from watching their streams. While the game's community is tiny, it's still an amazing feeling to see others play and enjoy the game.
_Rob_
Member
(06-04-2017, 06:17 PM)
_Rob_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by shysaursoft

Much to my delight, people have started speedrunning Rex: Another Island as I'd hoped they would. So far nobody's discovered all the little tricks and paths yet, but even I've learned a few new things from watching their streams. While the game's community is tiny, it's still an amazing feeling to see others play and enjoy the game.

That's fantastic, I love the passion speedrunners have for the games they're running. Must be fantastic to know that your game has inspired that!

I've spent the afternoon working on the start of the mine section of the old west level, "The Chimp, The Bag and the Bunny". Working in some slightly different platforming design with bigger gaps and more hazards as this level appears a little later into the game.

Pehesse
Member
(06-04-2017, 06:27 PM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by shysaursoft

Much to my delight, people have started speedrunning Rex: Another Island as I'd hoped they would. So far nobody's discovered all the little tricks and paths yet, but even I've learned a few new things from watching their streams. While the game's community is tiny, it's still an amazing feeling to see others play and enjoy the game.

That's so awesome :-D
K Monkey
Member
(06-05-2017, 10:19 AM)
K Monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by K Monkey

I'd like to know what happens to my App Credits that I have. Currently I have published one title and have used another Credit to prepare for my next game. I also have one last credit for being a Vive dev...

I hope those 2 credits means I don't have to pay for at least 2 titles.

Ok just got in contact with my Steam rep and got an answer. Here it is for those in the same situation.

I have been trying to understand the new Steam Direct announcement where there is now a $100 fee for each title.

What does that mean to those that have spare App Credits to their name? can we still use those and don't require to pay this $100 fee until they are all used?

For clarity, I have used one App Credit and it has been fully published. I have a second App Credit used but not published (game in dev). Lastly, I have a third App Credit that came via being a Vive Dev.

Sure, you can still create a new appID if you already have one pending, and there's not a fee associated with that, but if you wanted to set up an additional one down the line, you'd need to go through the Steam Direct flow to do so.

so all good news :)
Minamu
Member
(06-05-2017, 11:25 AM)
Minamu's Avatar
Does anyone know of any research papers or similar on viable indie price ranges? I'm not sure what kind of price I should put on my project, if any at all. I'm leaning towards absolutely free, but I would be happier if I could back it up as reasonable somehow.
Makai
Member
(06-05-2017, 01:08 PM)
Makai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Minamu

Does anyone know of any research papers or similar on viable indie price ranges? I'm not sure what kind of price I should put on my project, if any at all. I'm leaning towards absolutely free, but I would be happier if I could back it up as reasonable somehow.

$1 for mobile. $5 for PC. $10 -15 if your game is featured in Kotaku articles. Multiply by 4 for VR.

You can mine the data yourself

https://steamspy.com

Average price is about $10
Hypereides
Member
(06-05-2017, 03:37 PM)
Hypereides's Avatar
Exam period is about to start. Spritesheet for the first level:

Minamu
Member
(06-05-2017, 03:57 PM)
Minamu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Makai

$1 for mobile. $5 for PC. $10 -15 if your game is featured in Kotaku articles. Multiply by 4 for VR.

You can mine the data yourself

https://steamspy.com

Average price is about $10

Thanks. I'm at work so I can't dig into it now. Are your prices accounting for being optimal when talking about sales numbers as well? As in, you get more sales for a PC game at 5$ rather than at 1$ due to the perceived lower quality a lower price MAY indicate? It's easy to think that a 1$ dollar game would sell 5x the numbers, but I doubt that's true in reality :) Pricing is a science.

Edit: I'm curious if 5$ is a sweet spot where if you go over, you see a dramatic decline in sales. Can't be applicable across the board, no?
oxrock
Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
(06-05-2017, 05:08 PM)
oxrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

twitter/cartdrge/TIG source

What's "cartdrge"?
Pehesse
Member
(06-05-2017, 05:17 PM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by oxrock

What's "cartdrge"?

This: https://cartrdge.com/

Videogame focused portfolio site, I always manage to spell their name wrong in a different way, I'll edit the earlier post
timetokill
Banned
(06-05-2017, 06:43 PM)
timetokill's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

This: https://cartrdge.com/

Videogame focused portfolio site, I always manage to spell their name wrong in a different way, I'll edit the earlier post

Oh wow, that's awesome! I should start putting some stuff on there.
oxrock
Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
(06-05-2017, 07:34 PM)
oxrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

This: https://cartrdge.com/

Videogame focused portfolio site, I always manage to spell their name wrong in a different way, I'll edit the earlier post

Thanks for the info, I'll probably set something up over there. And you're a staff pick, you lucky mofo! Also, nice post earlier about self marketing and talking about publishers, I'd imagine that'd be pretty helpful to a lot of people starting out, might want to link to it in your first post. It's something I see people ask from time to time and it'd be nice to have the info readily available.
Pehesse
Member
(06-05-2017, 07:47 PM)
Pehesse's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

Oh wow, that's awesome! I should start putting some stuff on there.

Originally Posted by oxrock

Thanks for the info, I'll probably set something up over there. And you're a staff pick, you lucky mofo! Also, nice post earlier about self marketing and talking about publishers, I'd imagine that'd be pretty helpful to a lot of people starting out, might want to link to it in your first post. It's something I see people ask from time to time and it'd be nice to have the info readily available.

In my experience, there's pretty low traffic, but that means posts can stay visible for a while longer, and it looks very nice - I like it much better than other portfolio-type sites I've used previously! (and yeah, I got lucky, but that's not why I like them :-D)

And indeed, you're right, that's a good idea! I'll edit some of that info in my first post, if that can help anyone. Thanks!
JulianImp
Member
(06-05-2017, 11:20 PM)
JulianImp's Avatar
Oh cool, I think Unity's Selectable UI component doesn't expose its current selection state, and there's no way to register to state-change events unless you inherit from the class. On top of that, the color tints are applied through multiply, without changing the source graphics' color, so watching the graphics color for changes to propagate them across multiple sub-graphics doesn't even work...

My solution was to create an eternally looping coroutine that checks if the GUI element is the currently selected object according to the EventManager class, and then applies the appropriate color if the first children's color doesn't match the Selectable's corresponding color for that state at the time. The performance's a lot worse since I'm keeping N coroutines alive and checking stuff every 0.1s as opposed to simply subscribing to an event and acting only when it fires, but then again the class's only needed for three GUI elements that appear in a single sub-screen of the main menu, so I guess I can just roll with it.
friken
Member
(06-05-2017, 11:34 PM)
friken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slamtastic



Blocking out divisions of body parts on a voxel model (lighting off).

Hoping to create a game featuring randomized creatures made from mixed and matched pieces.

neat.... looking forward to seeing this progress
SeanNoonan
Member
(06-06-2017, 12:34 AM)
SeanNoonan's Avatar
Oh, the new thread is here!

I have good news, Jack B. Nimble got greenlit! I wrote some words about it here: http://noonan.design/devlogs/jack-b-...been-greenlit/

Here's a gif of the progress:



Here's a gif of the game:




Looking forward to seeing your new games :)
tamaster92
Member
(06-06-2017, 12:47 AM)
tamaster92's Avatar
Still working away on my racing thingymajig

Should have more progress to show soon, a lot of the current work is just fixing bugs and menus etc

Meanwhile I kinda wanted to see if I could think up a water based horror game after seeing this picture of a boat with Cthulhu underneath it. But like, damn designing something where the enemy is the dark depths of water and unknown is very very hard. The concept is easy but putting any sort of gameplay on it eludes me.

Edit: this image -

I love the horror of being so unaware of what lies around you that is just utterly overpowering compared to you
oxrock
Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
(06-06-2017, 12:58 AM)
oxrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by SeanNoonan


congrats man!
_Rob_
Member
(06-06-2017, 09:36 AM)
_Rob_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Pehesse

This: https://cartrdge.com/

Videogame focused portfolio site, I always manage to spell their name wrong in a different way, I'll edit the earlier post

I'd never heard of this either, will be sorting myself out a page today; thank you!
missile
Member
(06-06-2017, 10:14 AM)
missile's Avatar
I'm currently tinkering around with some subtil surface finishes and want to
see what comes out of it.

Well, I've implemented the double attenuation you get when light enters an
object with an IOR != the IOR of the surrounding material. Roughly speaking,
if the IOR of two adjacent materials are different, there will be attenuation
whenever the light enters any of them as can be computed from the Fresnel
equations. With the attenuated transmitted light inside the object getting
scattered whatsoever, it may also leave the object at some point and will as
such undergo an additional attenuation when crossing the material interface
again producing a double attenuation, which is what I've implemented for the
diffuse component;


IOR 1.0


IOR 1.2 (single attenuation)


IOR 1.2 (double attenuation)

With an IOR of 1 the light will pass unaltered, no attenuation. However, with
an IOR > 1 the light entering and leaving the interface gets attenuated.

What gives?
Better energy preservation and better matching of specular reflected light.
With an IOR > 1 you always get some specular reflection from somewhere else
(not computed in the scene above). With double attenuation the specular
(surface) reflection of the object and diffuse (body) reflection will match
up much better, esp. at grazing where the specular components dominate the
diffuse one producing more pleasing surface finishes. So basically, reflection
mapping should look more stunning that way, which is what I will try next.

The implementation is rather simple. The attenuation of the light entering is
computed with classic Fresnel, Fr_outside, with the diffuse component
attenuated by (1-Fr_outside). See second image above. To get the double
attenuation you simply compute Fresnel, Fr_inside, but now from the inside and
multiply the diffuse component with (1-Fr_inside). Hence, the total
attenuation is (1-Fr_outside)*(1-Fr_inside). See third image above.

The attenuation of the light leaving the interface from inside of the object I
computed simply as follows;

Code:

// wrt vacuum, i.e. IOR 1.0   
T = refract(-I, N, 1.0f/ior_n);
R = reflect(-T, N);
Fr_inside = fresnel(acosf(dot(R,N)), ior_n, 1.0f);
That's a simplification because I assume everything happens right at the
surface. So we compute the refracted ray, T, as usual and simply reflect it
at the normal at the same point and then compute the Fresnel attenuation but
now from the "inside" of the object looking out through the reflected ray R.
The amount of light leaving the object is the part transmitted through, which
is (1 - Fr_inside).

Well, if you actually want to a have a thicker transparent layer with the
texture of the object showing refraction effects you can use the angle the
refraction ray make with the normal and the depth of the layer to compute an
texture offset. This should give some pretty cool effects, I guess.

I will try some reflection mapping next and attenuate it with Fr_outside based
on the same IOR of the object and view angle, which basically should produce
some more pleasing reflections esp. towards grazing.
Tregard
Soothsayer
(06-06-2017, 01:46 PM)
Tregard's Avatar
Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong thread for it, but I need a little assistance with Unity if anyone could provide some?

I'm attempting essentially a "click to paint" system, where I have four layers of tiles, each layer a different colour (Teal, Red, Blue and Yellow), and all tiles alpha's set to 0. When you click somewhere on the picture, it sends out a raycast, and depending on what colour you currently have selected, it will collide with the object of that colour and change it's alpha value to 150, to make it visible. This allows me to have mix colours on the same tile while only having to change the alpha on each layer.

However, I'm having trouble setting it up so the click can allow the clicked object's alpha to change. I can get the click to register the object beneath, but not alter the alpha.
MikeHaggar
Member
(06-06-2017, 01:57 PM)
MikeHaggar's Avatar
For those still developing 2D games... how are you handling the imminent shift/need to support 4K? I'm developing a title with beautiful sprite work, but the native resolution is 480x270. Just scaling to 1080p is a bit iffy to me. I can't imagine it at 4K. Part of me wants to just make the resolution 960x540 (upscale 200%), but I know that will never fly with all of the platforms that I want to target.
JulianImp
Member
(06-06-2017, 02:17 PM)
JulianImp's Avatar

Originally Posted by MikeHaggar

For those still developing 2D games... how are you handling the imminent shift/need to support 4K? I'm developing a title with beautiful sprite work, but the native resolution is 480x270. Just scaling to 1080p is a bit iffy to me. I can't imagine it at 4K. Part of me wants to just make the resolution 960x540 (upscale 200%), but I know that will never fly with all of the platforms that I want to target.

I'm starting development on a PC game that will be using small-ish pixel art, and so far we've been thinking about a baseline resolution of 640x360, which should upscale fine into HD720, FullHD and 4K, but then again the latter would be a 12x upscale unless I'm mistaken, which might result in some Damn Big Pixels.
LordRaptor
Member
(06-06-2017, 02:17 PM)
LordRaptor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tregard

However, I'm having trouble setting it up so the click can allow the clicked object's alpha to change. I can get the click to register the object beneath, but not alter the alpha.

Just some obvious things to check if you havent already;
- that you have a collider on the thing you're raycasting against
- that you've set order in layer so that the colourable components are 'above' the base layer
- that you don't have the colourable components blocking raycasts
- that you're accessing the component that you want to change colour, not the component that your raycast is hitting

something like

Code:

public SpriteRenderer tealLayer;

Void Awake()
{
     GameObject tealObj = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Teal");
     tealLayer = teakObj.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
     tealLayer.color = new Color(tealLayer.color.r, tealLayer.color.g, tealLayer.color.b, 0f);
}

void PaintTeal()
{
     tealLayer.color = new Color(tealLayer.color.r, tealLayer.color.g, tealLayer.color.b, 255f);
}
JulianImp
Member
(06-06-2017, 02:26 PM)
JulianImp's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

Just some obvious things to check if you havent already;
- that you have a collider on the thing you're raycasting against
- that you've set order in layer so that the colourable components are 'above' the base layer
- that you don't have the colourable components blocking raycasts
- that you're accessing the component that you want to change colour, not the component that your raycast is hitting

something like

Code:

public SpriteRenderer tealLayer;

Void Awake()
{
     GameObject tealObj = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Teal");
     tealLayer = teakObj.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
     tealLayer.color = new Color(tealLayer.color.r, tealLayer.color.g, tealLayer.color.b, 0f);
}

void PaintTeal()
{
     tealLayer.color = new Color(tealLayer.color.r, tealLayer.color.g, tealLayer.color.b, 255f);
}

A sort of random nitpick here, but AFAIK, Unity Colors are floats in the 0..1 range.

Also, if PaintTeal is going to be used multiple times, then I'd definitely recommend reworking the class into a multipurpose one with a public Color property (base color), then cache the alpha-less version into a private Color property calculated on Awake, and then passing those references around to change the graphics' color rather than relying on new statements.
LordRaptor
Member
(06-06-2017, 02:35 PM)
LordRaptor's Avatar
eh, pseudocode without looking at the docs. I'm sure when it failed to compile I'd take a look at and go "that's weird, why doesn't color use 0-255 like the inspector does?" and change it.

I'd also probably make a Paintcolour enum with the values I want and just make a "Paint" generic method and just pass Paintcolour.Teal to it, and probably have that as an ienumerator so it fades in rather than pops, but I'm not second guessing someones codebase here \_(ツ)_/
e:
I'd also probably not use "findgameobjectbytag" because ewwwww findgameobjectbytag
floatstarpx
Member
(06-06-2017, 03:13 PM)
floatstarpx's Avatar
Not much news from us- we're just hard at work on Bomber Crew, still!




A couple of GIFs of the latest version! :)
floatstarpx
Member
(06-06-2017, 03:14 PM)
floatstarpx's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

eh, pseudocode without looking at the docs. I'm sure when it failed to compile I'd take a look at and go "that's weird, why doesn't color use 0-255 like the inspector does?" and change it.

It'll still compile with floats 0-255, but it'll just clamp your 255 to a 1 (and your values in between to 1, too...)!

You can use Color32 instead of Color if you want to use ints 0-255! :)
MikeHaggar
Member
(06-06-2017, 03:34 PM)
MikeHaggar's Avatar

Originally Posted by JulianImp

I'm starting development on a PC game that will be using small-ish pixel art, and so far we've been thinking about a baseline resolution of 640x360, which should upscale fine into HD720, FullHD and 4K, but then again the latter would be a 12x upscale unless I'm mistaken, which might result in some Damn Big Pixels.

Yeah, my initial thought was to go with 640x360 as well, but we decided that too much of the environment was shown around the player. It removed a bit of the anticipation/tension of what is "around the corner" so to speak. So we settled on 480x270. Still gets us cleanly to 1080p although 720p is a no go.

And yes, the upscale to 4K is huge. I'm just concerned the pixel art will lose it's charm at that scale, but I'm not sure I can avoid it as an option if we release on Xbox/Scorpio. I'd be interested to hear how others are handling this.
oxrock
Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
(06-06-2017, 04:52 PM)
oxrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tregard

Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong thread for it, but I need a little assistance with Unity if anyone could provide some?



I'm attempting essentially a "click to paint" system, where I have four layers of tiles, each layer a different colour (Teal, Red, Blue and Yellow), and all tiles alpha's set to 0. When you click somewhere on the picture, it sends out a raycast, and depending on what colour you currently have selected, it will collide with the object of that colour and change it's alpha value to 150, to make it visible. This allows me to have mix colours on the same tile while only having to change the alpha on each layer.

However, I'm having trouble setting it up so the click can allow the clicked object's alpha to change. I can get the click to register the object beneath, but not alter the alpha.

I find when implementing new mechanics in games, it's best to keep things as simple as possible. You can optimize things for performance later if needed. With that in mind, something like this should work just fine:

Code:

public class tile: MonoBehaviour {

      public SpriteRenderer tealLayer;
      public color tealPaint;
      public color clear;
      bool painted = false;

      void Start(){
            tealLayer.color = clear;
      }

      public void paintToggle(){
            painted = !painted;
            if (painted){
                 tealLayer.color = tealPaint;
            }
            else{
                  tealLayer.color = clear;
            }
      }
}
Just set the two colors and their proper alphas in the inspector and be done with it, should work and be super simple to troubleshoot in the future if anything arises. I didn't check if it'd compile but should be close unless I blundered somewhere.
OBias
Member
(06-06-2017, 06:51 PM)
Does anyone here use Mixamo Auto-Rigger and Unreal Engine together? I can't retarget anything from the Animation Starter Pack to my autorigged mesh without twisting wrists or getting a humpback. I tried to tweak the retargeting pose on both skeletons but it didn't help much.

Thread Tools