• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

RPS37
Junior Member
(10-02-2017, 04:01 AM)
RPS37's Avatar
So I went to a couple stores trying to pick up a SNES Classic on Friday. Had no such luck. Noticed Switch’s in stock. Got one and Zelda. Just got the paraglider.
Pretty amazed so far.
Patrick Bateman
Member
(10-02-2017, 10:09 AM)
Patrick Bateman's Avatar
I have beat Ganon like two months ago and have somehow no desire to get back in the game with where I‘m currently at in the game. Yet I want to play more. :/

I also found and completed all shrines, so there‘s that.
JonStark
Member
(10-02-2017, 03:35 PM)
JonStark's Avatar
When can we expect to have info of ballad of the champions DLC ? After Mario odyssey is released ?
foltzie1
Member
(10-02-2017, 03:43 PM)
foltzie1's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonStark

When can we expect to have info of ballad of the champions DLC ? After Mario odyssey is released ?

Certainly after Mario Odyssey releases.

The Champion's Amiibo release on 11/10. It's safe to assume the DLC will launch near then.
Anteo
Member
(10-02-2017, 03:48 PM)
Anteo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

I have beat Ganon like two months ago and have somehow no desire to get back in the game with where I‘m currently at in the game. Yet I want to play more. :/

I also found and completed all shrines, so there‘s that.

Have you played hard mode?
I did a plateau > master sword > ganon run in hard mode. It was fun and that final battle was super long even with the master sword, if I let any of the blights regen for too long on the boss rush, the master sword would break in the 4th blight fight before calamity ganon.
greatnorthern
Junior Member
(10-02-2017, 07:32 PM)
greatnorthern's Avatar
I love this game so much. Never really played any of them aside from the original, back when I was 8.

Will probably jump into LTTP when my SNES Classic is delivered.

That's it :)
Last edited by greatnorthern; 10-02-2017 at 07:38 PM.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-03-2017, 11:41 AM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by dracula_x

https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/statu...37635663425536

for the others: the tweet thread has more
Charlouie Jonesman
Member
(10-03-2017, 05:39 PM)
Charlouie Jonesman's Avatar
Been playing for a couple of days, slowly making progress.

Are the shrine cutscenes always the same?

"I'm Whoopy Doopy and this is my puzzle, yadda yadda..."

i.e. can I start skipping those or do I eventually miss out on unique stuff?
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(10-03-2017, 05:43 PM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Charlouie Jonesman

Been playing for a couple of days, slowly making progress.

Are the shrine cutscenes always the same?

"I'm Whoopy Doopy and this is my puzzle, yadda yadda..."

i.e. can I start skipping those or do I eventually miss out on unique stuff?

Pretty much, the only variation is when you complete a shrine quest outside of the shrine.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-03-2017, 05:50 PM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Charlouie Jonesman

Been playing for a couple of days, slowly making progress.

Are the shrine cutscenes always the same?

"I'm Whoopy Doopy and this is my puzzle, yadda yadda..."

i.e. can I start skipping those or do I eventually miss out on unique stuff?

always skip, they're all the same. all of them.
watershed
Member
(10-04-2017, 01:27 AM)
watershed's Avatar

Originally Posted by dracula_x

https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/statu...37635663425536

Now these are brilliant deep dives into the design of BOTW. That twitter thread is full of cool details. Too bad it seems like the original article is in Japanese.
Bumhead
Member
(10-04-2017, 01:08 PM)
Bumhead's Avatar
Tried and failed to get into both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but I'm absolutely blown away by BotW.

Not far in yet mind, 15-20 hours at the moment. Seem to have lost a bit of momentum with the main quest, and got into a bit of a rut where all I'm doing is exploring the world, trying to reach the towers and doing shrines as I see them. That stuff is no less fascinating or exciting to play, but I would like to pick back up with the main quest.

Last thing I did was beat Ruta, the first Divine Beast I've beaten. The only other two quests available to me at this point are obviously defeat Gannon and recapture my memories by visiting the spots. Am I missing something, or should I just try and proceed with those existing quests? I didn't expect recapturing the memories to be crucial at this stage and thought it was a longer term goal like the other two, which is why I've not heavily pursued it.
Pygrus
Member
(10-04-2017, 01:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Bumhead

Tried and failed to get into both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but I'm absolutely blown away by BotW.

Not far in yet mind, 15-20 hours at the moment. Seem to have lost a bit of momentum with the main quest, and got into a bit of a rut where all I'm doing is exploring the world, trying to reach the towers and doing shrines as I see them. That stuff is no less fascinating or exciting to play, but I would like to pick back up with the main quest.

Last thing I did was beat Ruta, the first Divine Beast I've beaten. The only other two quests available to me at this point are obviously defeat Gannon and recapture my memories by visiting the spots. Am I missing something, or should I just try and proceed with those existing quests? I didn't expect recapturing the memories to be crucial at this stage and thought it was a longer term goal like the other two, which is why I've not heavily pursued it.

You should have a quest that leads you to the other divine beasts as well. You can do the memories whenever you want. The more acquainted with the world you are, the easier they are. You will even run into some of them by just exploring.
c1d
Junior Member
(10-04-2017, 01:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Bumhead

Tried and failed to get into both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but I'm absolutely blown away by BotW.

Not far in yet mind, 15-20 hours at the moment. Seem to have lost a bit of momentum with the main quest, and got into a bit of a rut where all I'm doing is exploring the world, trying to reach the towers and doing shrines as I see them. That stuff is no less fascinating or exciting to play, but I would like to pick back up with the main quest.

Last thing I did was beat Ruta, the first Divine Beast I've beaten. The only other two quests available to me at this point are obviously defeat Gannon and recapture my memories by visiting the spots. Am I missing something, or should I just try and proceed with those existing quests? I didn't expect recapturing the memories to be crucial at this stage and thought it was a longer term goal like the other two, which is why I've not heavily pursued it.

You should run into main quest things that lead to divine beasts after exploring, for example There's a Goron in Zora's domain that tells you about their village you're correct in that the memories quest is a longer term goal you will encounter an NPC as stables that can help you figure the memory locations out
Bumhead
Member
(10-04-2017, 01:56 PM)
Bumhead's Avatar
Thank you both - that's a massive help. I do have that quest available yeah so I'll crack on with those.
dLMN8R
Member
(10-04-2017, 06:22 PM)
dLMN8R's Avatar
One of the things that really helped me early on was to simply stick with the major roads. If you stick to the major roads, they'll take you to places of interest, and get you more acquainted with the world faster.
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(10-04-2017, 06:30 PM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bumhead

Tried and failed to get into both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but I'm absolutely blown away by BotW.

Not far in yet mind, 15-20 hours at the moment. Seem to have lost a bit of momentum with the main quest, and got into a bit of a rut where all I'm doing is exploring the world, trying to reach the towers and doing shrines as I see them. That stuff is no less fascinating or exciting to play, but I would like to pick back up with the main quest.

Last thing I did was beat Ruta, the first Divine Beast I've beaten. The only other two quests available to me at this point are obviously defeat Gannon and recapture my memories by visiting the spots. Am I missing something, or should I just try and proceed with those existing quests? I didn't expect recapturing the memories to be crucial at this stage and thought it was a longer term goal like the other two, which is why I've not heavily pursued it.

There's an artist guy with a paintbrush hairstyle who you'll bump into at stables. You can show him a picture and he'll tell you where it is. Write that down or go and find it as your next objective because going "uh huh that's nice" and moving on really messed me up later as I tried to find those spots again and the guy was nowhere to be found (other than at his normal place in Kariko village where he's not forthcoming with clues).
Twookie
Member
(10-04-2017, 06:57 PM)
Twookie's Avatar

Originally Posted by dracula_x

https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/statu...37635663425536

wow, that was fantastic! super interesting

thanks for sharing
Soulscribe
Member
(10-04-2017, 07:37 PM)
Soulscribe's Avatar
I'm worried that DLC2 is gonna get delayed. Thinking about all they'd have to change about the world to accommodate Ganon's defeat seems really daunting. All the NPCs, brand new cutscenes, no more Guardians, no more blood moon and therefore enemy respawns.... maybe it'll be a super linear storyline where it's just one big dungeon or something, but otherwise it seems like such a massive rewrite. Thoughts?
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-04-2017, 07:39 PM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulscribe

I'm worried that DLC2 is gonna get delayed. Thinking about all they'd have to change about the world to accommodate Ganon's defeat seems really daunting. All the NPCs, brand new cutscenes, no more Guardians, no more blood moon and therefore enemy respawns.... maybe it'll be a super linear storyline where it's just one big dungeon or something, but otherwise it seems like such a massive rewrite. Thoughts?

They won't release the amiibo without having the DLC ready to go. This is not a game they have to worry about retail preorders and stuff with. They can drop it like it's hot overnight if they wanted to.
B-Dubs
No Scrubs
(10-04-2017, 08:43 PM)
B-Dubs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulscribe

I'm worried that DLC2 is gonna get delayed. Thinking about all they'd have to change about the world to accommodate Ganon's defeat seems really daunting. All the NPCs, brand new cutscenes, no more Guardians, no more blood moon and therefore enemy respawns.... maybe it'll be a super linear storyline where it's just one big dungeon or something, but otherwise it seems like such a massive rewrite. Thoughts?

This assumes that's what they're doing. They could well just be adding a huge dungeon under Hyrule.
GoldStarz
Member
(10-04-2017, 08:57 PM)
GoldStarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by B-Dubs

This assumes that's what they're doing. They could well just be adding a huge dungeon under Hyrule.

I mean, haven't they confirmed that the DLC takes place post-main story? It would be cool to finally be able to explore a post-Ganon Hyrule, but I imagine it will be its own thing.
CaptainofIndustry
Member
(10-04-2017, 09:45 PM)
CaptainofIndustry's Avatar
Ok so last night I wandered into Hyrule Castle and I have a question (I’ll spoiler tag just in case)

I explored the halls and reached a spot with a heart on the ceiling which triggered a boss fight with multiple versions of Ganon (I think one of them was called thunder light Ganon or something like that). Anyway, I wasn’t prepared for the fight. I used most of my items fighting the other monsters in the castle but I progressed pretty far into the fight before dying. I was curious what would have happened if I had won the fight. Would it have triggered an end game fight with Calamity Ganon? I’ve only completed two of the divine beast fights.
Anteo
Member
(10-04-2017, 10:46 PM)
Anteo's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaptainofIndustry

Ok so last night I wandered into Hyrule Castle and I have a question (I’ll spoiler tag just in case)

I explored the halls and reached a spot with a heart on the ceiling which triggered a boss fight with multiple versions of Ganon (I think one of them was called thunder light Ganon or something like that). Anyway, I wasn’t prepared for the fight. I used most of my items fighting the other monsters in the castle but I progressed pretty far into the fight before dying. I was curious what would have happened if I had won the fight. Would it have triggered an end game fight with Calamity Ganon? I’ve only completed two of the divine beast fights.

you need to beat all 4 ganon blights, minus one per each divine beast you already beaten to trigger the final boss fight. So if you beat all 4 beats going into that room trigers the final boss fight inmediatly.
Merchandise
Member
(10-05-2017, 06:14 AM)
Merchandise's Avatar
Just been clearing shrines the last few days. Only 15 to go. Been using a map though because I don't have the patience to look anymore :P
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(10-05-2017, 08:22 AM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaptainofIndustry

I was curious what would have happened if I had won the fight. Would it have triggered an end game fight with Calamity Ganon?

Yes.
Charlouie Jonesman
Member
(10-05-2017, 05:54 PM)
Charlouie Jonesman's Avatar
Okay, I love how many variations of dialogue the NPCs have, so far every NPC I've encountered has unique dialogue for when it rains and then there are all the different variations depending on what they're doing at the exact moment.
Honorio
Member
(10-05-2017, 11:34 PM)
Honorio's Avatar

Originally Posted by Charlouie Jonesman

Okay, I love how many variations of dialogue the NPCs have, so far every NPC I've encountered has unique dialogue for when it rains and then there are all the different variations depending on what they're doing at the exact moment.

It's shocking how many variations there are.
BanjoLayleeYookaKazooie
Junior Member
(10-05-2017, 11:49 PM)
I'm looking forward to the Champions' Ballad. Gonna play both DLC packs back-to-back with any luck, I'm hoping for a November release to I can alternate between them and Battlefront 2. Would be great!
Honorio
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:15 AM)
Honorio's Avatar

Originally Posted by BanjoLayleeYookaKazooie

I'm looking forward to the Champions' Ballad. Gonna play both DLC packs back-to-back with any luck, I'm hoping for a November release to I can alternate between them and Battlefront 2. Would be great!

I hope they show more stuff about champion's ballad soon.
BobbyColtrane
Member
(10-06-2017, 02:19 PM)
BobbyColtrane's Avatar
I am soliciting some advice:

I started a Divine Beasts (Vah Naboris, I think?) encounter before I was really ready. Made it to the inside of it before looking at a guide and seeing that I had to fight a Ganon to finish this part.

I'm really not ready for that, I don't have many hearts and don't have the proper equipment to withstand his attacks or defeat him. Can I just bail out of this thing and come back to it later, when I'm bulked up some?


I feel stuck.
Anteo
Member
(10-06-2017, 02:29 PM)
Anteo's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane

I am soliciting some advice:

I started a Divine Beasts (Vah Naboris, I think?) encounter before I was really ready. Made it to the inside of it before looking at a guide and seeing that I had to fight a Ganon to finish this part.

I'm really not ready for that, I don't have many hearts and don't have the proper equipment to withstand his attacks or defeat him. Can I just bail out of this thing and come back to it later, when I'm bulked up some?


I feel stuck.

Uhh.. i think you are confusing the final boss with his minions, the dungeon bosses named after him

And yes you can leave.

Also, spoilers all 4 of them are a manifestation of ganon power. Inside vah naboris you will find thunderblight ganon, other elemental ganons are found in the other beasts.
Last edited by Anteo; 10-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.
BobbyColtrane
Member
(10-06-2017, 02:48 PM)
BobbyColtrane's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anteo

Uhh.. i think you are confusing the final boss with his minions, the dungeon bosses named after him

And yes you can leave.

Also, spoilers all 4 of them are a manifestation of ganon power. Inside vah naboris you will find thunderblight ganon, other elemental ganons are found in the other beasts.

I know that's not the FINAL boss, but I feel like I need to be geared up a little. I don't have anything to protect against lightning at all.

Thanks for your help.
Merchandise
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:43 PM)
Merchandise's Avatar
Spent an hour camping by a fire trying to get a stupid blood moon to show up for this shrine before deciding to just stand on it naked and shut my TV off. Hopefully when I check in seven hours it'll be over with.
Anteo
Member
(10-06-2017, 11:17 PM)
Anteo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Merchandise

Spent an hour camping by a fire trying to get a stupid blood moon to show up for this shrine before deciding to just stand on it naked and shut my TV off. Hopefully when I check in seven hours it'll be over with.

As far as we know, blood moon seems to trigger when you deplete the world resources i.e. mining, gathering, kill unique bosses.

At the very least, we know if it didnt happen at your first night camping, it wont happen if you keep skipping days, so maybe waiting without skiping days helps.
Last edited by Anteo; 10-06-2017 at 11:20 PM.
WhiteRabbitEXE
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:46 AM)
WhiteRabbitEXE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Merchandise

Spent an hour camping by a fire trying to get a stupid blood moon to show up for this shrine before deciding to just stand on it naked and shut my TV off. Hopefully when I check in seven hours it'll be over with.

Just play like normal, and teleport over there the next time you notice one in the sky. It does *not* have to be during the cutscene, just night of a Blood Moon. Even after the cutscene has passed you’re good for a while.
Merchandise
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:32 AM)
Merchandise's Avatar
Letting it sit for the entire day while I was out worked. Shrine was waiting for me when I turned it back on.

All shrines done, bought a house, used all the spirit orbs, ready to be done with this game so Ganon tomorrow.
OrbitalBeard
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:09 AM)
OrbitalBeard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Merchandise

Letting it sit for the entire day while I was out worked. Shrine was waiting for me when I turned it back on.

All shrines done, bought a house, used all the spirit orbs, ready to be done with this game so Ganon tomorrow.

Sounds like you aren't really enjoying the game anymore. If that's the case, next time you're playing a game and no longer enjoying it, don't give in to the sunk cost fallacy and just end it. The nice thing about BotW is you can actually have your cake and eat it too. You can stop playing the game and finish it at almost any point .
Last edited by OrbitalBeard; 10-07-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Merchandise
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:36 AM)
Merchandise's Avatar

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

Sounds like you aren't really enjoying the game anymore. If that's the case, next time you're playing a game and no longer enjoying it, don't give in to the sunk cost fallacy and just end it. The nice thing about BotW is you can actually have your cake and eat it too. You can stop playing the game and finish it at almost any point .

I definitely still like it, but I do feel that this should have been a 50 hour game and not 75+. The "end-game" of doing shrines, upgrading armor, etc is a slog.
WhiteRabbitEXE
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:43 AM)
WhiteRabbitEXE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Merchandise

I definitely still like it, but I do feel that this should have been a 50 hour game and not 75+. The "end-game" of doing shrines, upgrading armor, etc is a slog.

But that's what they were getting at: it can be a 50 hour game if you want it to be. Everything after the plateau is basically just optional prep-work for the final boss, so you can play the game for exactly as long as you want. You don't have to do every shrine, every upgrade, even every Divine Beast.
Honorio
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:07 AM)
Honorio's Avatar
one of my favorite tracks of the game is from one of the memories, after you get the master sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3QR8B9EKg0
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(10-07-2017, 06:14 AM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbitEXE

But that's what they were getting at: it can be a 50 hour game if you want it to be. Everything after the plateau is basically just optional prep-work for the final boss, so you can play the game for exactly as long as you want. You don't have to do every shrine, every upgrade, even every Divine Beast.

Exactly. I came to a natural end around 55 hours in and went and fought Ganon.
OrbitalBeard
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:20 AM)
OrbitalBeard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Merchandise

I definitely still like it, but I do feel that this should have been a 50 hour game and not 75+. The "end-game" of doing shrines, upgrading armor, etc is a slog.

You're doing optional content. BotW can be a 25 hour game if you wish and you'll still be able to complete the main story path. You can even make the game significantly shorter if you skip some of that content, which is entirely possible.
watershed
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:25 AM)
watershed's Avatar
As a 40 to 50 hour game, I found BOTW to be continuously engaging, full of surprises, and just nonstop fun. 40 hours is enough time to beat all the divine beasts, easily do 50 plus shrines, uncover most of the map, and defeat Ganon without ever getting bored.
Chopper
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:40 AM)
Chopper's Avatar
So has anyone done a speed run where they head straight to Ganon from the beginning of the game, armed with like a stick or something, and beaten him?
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-07-2017, 12:17 PM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chopper

So has anyone done a speed run where they head straight to Ganon from the beginning of the game, armed with like a stick or something, and beaten him?

anyone HERE or just "anyone"? because of course to the latter.

obviously, if you've played the game you know you can't do this exact thing.
Chopper
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:26 PM)
Chopper's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheMoon

anyone HERE or just "anyone"? because of course to the latter.

obviously, if you've played the game you know you can't do this exact thing.

Well, anyone. I haven't seen any videos or anything, cos I haven't seen Ganon myself, and fear spoilers. I just thought it'd be a cool thing to do. What prohibits you doing this exact thing?

Edit: Ah, you would have to get the paraglider first. Shame. A half naked Link taking on Ganon with a stick would be hilarious.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(10-07-2017, 12:39 PM)
TheMoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chopper

Well, anyone. I haven't seen any videos or anything, cos I haven't seen Ganon myself, and fear spoilers. I just thought it'd be a cool thing to do. What prohibits you doing this exact thing?

Edit: Ah, you would have to get the paraglider first. Shame. A half naked Link taking on Ganon with a stick would be hilarious.

there are millions of speedruns doing it on youtube. they even had one at the Harvey Relief Done Quick event.
spindoctor
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:50 PM)
spindoctor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chopper

Well, anyone. I haven't seen any videos or anything, cos I haven't seen Ganon myself, and fear spoilers. I just thought it'd be a cool thing to do. What prohibits you doing this exact thing?

Edit: Ah, you would have to get the paraglider first. Shame. A half naked Link taking on Ganon with a stick would be hilarious.

When you finish the game you should check out some of the speedruns. They do amazing shit to finish the plateau as fast as possible before rushing the boss.

Thread Tools