• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 11:42 AM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
People have copies and are playing right now and the game will officially be out in less than 3 hours. Streams will follow.

SPOILERS AFTER THE BREAK





SPOILERS


Monokuma is the avatar of the mastermind.
SPOILERS

For your and everyone's safety, do not have more than one DR thread open at a time please.
CielTynave
Member
(01-11-2017, 11:46 AM)
CielTynave's Avatar
I only managed to have one thing spoiled for me and it was unfortunately pretty fucking massive, so I just wanted to pop in and ask if MASSIVE SPOILERS ____________Kaede dying___________ MASSIVE SPOILERS was true and if it's early on or endgame shit I got hit with. Just a yes/no and early/end will suffice, don't want to know any more details than that.

If it's early then I can deal but if not I'll probably be in a bad mood for several weeks...
Last edited by CielTynave; 01-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Solid Sora
Member
(01-11-2017, 11:49 AM)
Solid Sora's Avatar

Originally Posted by CielTynave

I only managed to have one thing spoiled for me and it was unfortunately pretty fucking massive, so I just wanted to pop in and ask if MASSIVE SPOILERS ____________Kaede dying___________ MASSIVE SPOILERS was true and if it's early on or endgame shit I got hit with. Just a yes/no and early/end will suffice, don't want to know any more details than that.

If it's early then I can deal but if not I'll probably be in a bad mood for several weeks...

Early.
CielTynave
Member
(01-11-2017, 11:51 AM)
CielTynave's Avatar
I guess I can deal with that...

Anyways, time to bail out until the English release.
Squire
Member
(01-11-2017, 11:54 AM)
Squire's Avatar
Yeah, Kaede biting it at all is bullshit. I just knew that wouldn't happen by virtue of the fact it was so obvious. We joked about it for months. What is Kodaka thinking?

I'm not even gonna bother with the game unless everyone and their mother swears it lives up to or exceeds DR2.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 11:57 AM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
I should note the victims, killers, survivors, mastermind, and a couple of other more minor reveals have all been leaked and corroborated by game data mining and the trophy list. Everything else is noise right now: a mixture of unsubstantiated truths, speculation, and complete BS.

No part of the script has been leaked via datamining so if anyone talks in detail about motives, it's probably bullshit.
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-11-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Solid Sora
Member
(01-11-2017, 11:58 AM)
Solid Sora's Avatar

Originally Posted by Squire

Yeah, Kaede biting it at all is bullshit. I just knew that wouldn't happen by virtue of the fact it was so obvious. We joked about it for months. What is Kodaka thinking?

I'm not even gonna bother with the game unless everyone and their mother swears it lives up to or exceeds DR2.

Kodaka wrote two stories after DR2, neither of them was as half as good as it was.

At this point I think it's safe to assume DR2 was just some lucky coincidence that will never be repeated.
Last edited by Solid Sora; 01-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 12:07 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
I was prepared for Kaede's death a few weeks ago because of this:

http://hellofriend304.tumblr.com/pos...e-secret-ahoge

Really lazy job covering it up and ruined any impact the twist could have had for me.
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-11-2017 at 12:34 PM.
RRockman
Member
(01-11-2017, 12:23 PM)
RRockman's Avatar
I knew that she was a goner as soon as she mentioned that she was the protagonist of this crazy story way back in the first trailer. That was WAY too straight forward. Especiallly about a game that is supposed to be about lies.

The fact that they designed a window to see yourself when you talk to others was odd too. Why would you need to see yourself when the first two games tried really hard to force you in the MC shoes? The only time where it wasn't first person was the trials. So why break this now?


It's not a bad twist. I hope the execution in game (lol) is good, otherwise the twist will fall flat.
Last edited by RRockman; 01-11-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Fancolors
Member
(01-11-2017, 12:24 PM)
Fancolors's Avatar
I'm still interested in this game despite the early death, but the quality of the latest entries, plus the anime, makes me incredibly hesitant of getting it.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 12:29 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
Because no CGs were leaked until people got the game everyone missed this big thing that happens right at the beginning:

http://imgur.com/7bEe9F2
http://imgur.com/a/GAl97
http://imgur.com/MXBydxJ
http://imgur.com/kyv58Tx

I know I'm repeating myself but these are literally prologue spoilers and there was no hint about it whatsoever, even when major shit leaked a couple days ago.
InternHertz
Member
(01-11-2017, 12:33 PM)
InternHertz's Avatar
I'm not looking at ANY spoilers, I've been waiting too long for this one, to have it spoiled for me mere hours before I can finally play it.

I'm so pumped though :D

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, see you once I'm done :D
RRockman
Member
(01-11-2017, 12:34 PM)
RRockman's Avatar

Originally Posted by QuiteWhittle

Because no CGs were leaked until people got the game everyone missed this big thing that happens right at the beginning:

http://imgur.com/7bEe9F2
http://imgur.com/a/GAl97
http://imgur.com/MXBydxJ
http://imgur.com/kyv58Tx

I know I'm repeating myself but these are literally prologue spoilers and there was no hint about it whatsoever, even when major shit leaked a couple days ago.

Back the heck up, do they get thier talents at the beginning of the game, or are they kinda being forced to wear new clothes as an magical girl parody?
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 12:45 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar

Originally Posted by RRockman

Back the heck up, do they get thier talents at the beginning of the game, or are they kinda being forced to wear new clothes as an magical girl parody?

I don't know, I see people on reddit, 4chan, and tumblr claiming they had no talents but offering no source or proof. Nothing in the datamining leaks, that I've seen, says anything about it either.
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.
h0tp0ck3t
Member
(01-11-2017, 01:21 PM)
h0tp0ck3t's Avatar
The cast of V3 can die a thousand deaths for all I care if what I read ends up being true

Possible Backstory Spoilers?
The game takes place in an alternate reality/timeline where Mondo Chihiro and MOTHER FUCKING CHIAKI survive their respective killing games
RRockman
Member
(01-11-2017, 01:21 PM)
RRockman's Avatar

Originally Posted by QuiteWhittle

I don't know, I see people on reddit, 4chan, and tumblr claiming they had no talents but offering no source or proof. Nothing in the datamining leaks, that I've seen, says anything about it either.

This is super interesting! Guess we still have some surprises in store. It really does look like they were normal before, so now I'm wondering why? Why grab normal kids, zap them with talent and then kill them? Was it the facility, or was it the Mastermind?
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 01:39 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
Someone is streaming the full game on Twitch already. I don't know if I should post or not.

Originally Posted by RRockman

This is super interesting! Guess we still have some surprises in store. It really does look like they were normal before, so now I'm wondering why? Why grab normal kids, zap them with talent and then kill them? Was it the facility, or was it the Mastermind?

Yep, I'm glad not everything was leaked.
Nachos
Member
(01-11-2017, 01:57 PM)
Nachos's Avatar
There's like a 99% that chapter 2's going to hit me with a double whammy of bullshit. I can't see how Hoshi's going to get much character development when he's going to bite it so early on.

Originally Posted by Squire

Yeah, Kaede biting it at all is bullshit. I just knew that wouldn't happen by virtue of the fact it was so obvious. We joked about it for months. What is Kodaka thinking?

It can be, but I don't think the twist inherently has to be. Part of me's hoping that there's some detail that never got leaked, like Saihara actually being a girl. Hayashibara has never voiced a character like him in her 30+ year career, and she has the most unconvincing boy voice. At the very least, it'd help make Saihara stand out, considering he otherwise seems so boring and has the most Kodaka-friendly talent he could have.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 02:02 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
Here's a youtube stream, starting with the prologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVjen8O-oI


All the promotional shots of the prologue were wrong. Everyone was wearing different clothes lol

edit: actually they weren't.

They wake up with different clothes, they explore and meet up in the auditorium, get their game clothes, their memories are ostensibly erased, and the game essentially restarts with the same opening sequence.
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-11-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Puruzi
Member
(01-11-2017, 02:03 PM)
Puruzi's Avatar
I read about how Kaede's death affects the endgame and honestly it seems cool as shit. I would have rathered her not die but as it is she seems like a really awesome character if what I read is true.

I'm just really glad hopebot isn't the protagonist.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 02:54 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
Kaede has FTEs so they didn't make it obvious.

Originally Posted by RRockman

This is super interesting! Guess we still have some surprises in store. It really does look like they were normal before, so now I'm wondering why? Why grab normal kids, zap them with talent and then kill them? Was it the facility, or was it the Mastermind?

Confirmed from the live steamers, they're just normal kids at the beginning.

Edit 2:

Now the Monokumarz are saying they lost their memories and their talents were sealed. Possibly lying, I guess..

----------------------------------------------

Here it is, the big spoiler that has already been mentioned in this thread. Probably the one most people care about:

The execution of Kaede Akamatsu.... and Monokid.
http://imgur.com/NPCAazx?r
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
TWILT
Member
(01-11-2017, 05:08 PM)
TWILT's Avatar
Read up about Kaede's death last night and I'm honestly pretty salty and disappointed about it. I know people joked about it happening when she was announced as the protagonist, but ughhhh, I really hate that they went through with it because she was the part I was looking forward to the most about the game. :( That being said, the stuff I read about how it affects stuff later in the story actually sounds...pretty cool, but I dunno, something about it just rubs me off the wrong way.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-11-2017, 08:02 PM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
Kaede's execution is fucking gruesome. Finally an execution as good as Leon's.

The cast thinks she was trying to kill the mastermind. Maybe they were right...

And Kaito is great. Hagakure comparisons were completely unwarranted.

Kaito and Gonta were two of Kaede's last defenders, even when she wasn't defending herself, and, along with Tenko, were about to try to fight the mechs to protect Kaede.
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-11-2017 at 08:27 PM.
PK Gaming
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:12 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar
Re: Kaede as the main protagonist

Sciel
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:47 AM)
Sciel's Avatar
I thought it was pretty obvious that she would die and a bait and switch would occur.
I recall reading her character biography a couple of months back and upon seeing her talent along with her explicitly being singled out as the leader of the group, All i could think was "She's so dead".
RRockman
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:56 AM)
RRockman's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

Re: Kaede as the main protagonist

we still have Komaru

watching her become more confident and brave was one of the undeniably best parts of that base breaker of a game.

Originally Posted by QuiteWhittle

Kaede's execution is fucking gruesome. Finally an execution as good as Leon's.

The cast thinks she was trying to kill the mastermind. Maybe they were right...

And Kaito is great. Hagakure comparisons were completely unwarranted.

Kaito and Gonta were two of Kaede's last defenders, even when she wasn't defending herself, and, along with Tenko, were about to try to fight the mechs to protect Kaede.

I actually dont hate anyone outright yet, which is really amazing. I almost want to bow out and wait for the eng relase but I'm way to excited right now to even consider waiting months. So what's up with the alternate past of this game? is the world still garbage after the events of the first 2 games? I saw Naegi in the stream but I didn't get to watch all of it. Was that some sort of hologram?
Last edited by RRockman; 01-12-2017 at 01:06 AM.
PK Gaming
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:56 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar
I mean, pretty much everyone felt the same way. It's just a ton of us (myself included) deluded ourselves into thinking it wouldn't play out that way, since it was too obvious. The truth is, we let the excitement of playing as a different kind of DR protagonist get the best of us. I'm glad I know better now, though!

Boys 4 lyfe!!
Zolo
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:59 AM)
Zolo's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

I mean, pretty much everyone felt the same way. It's just a ton of us (myself included) deluded ourselves into thinking it wouldn't play out that way, since it was too obvious. The truth is, we let the excitement of playing as a different kind of DR protagonist get the best of us. I'm glad I know better now, though!

Boys 4 lyfe!!

Eh. She still seems to be a strong character going by the spoilers and was still marketed as the protagonist, so it's not like they were worried about a female protagonist not selling.
WiiRevolution1
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:06 AM)
WiiRevolution1's Avatar
Damnit I didn't want any spoilers but I had to enter this thread because I was paranoid at the talks before release that are apparently true.

The protagonist isn't the protagonist. FUCKING WHY! I wanted a girl protagonist so much!

So who's the real protagonist? The robot? I want my girl. With how few girl protagonists there are this is such a cruel fucking thing to do. Disgusting. I'm so dissapointed right now.
Fancolors
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:07 AM)
Fancolors's Avatar

Originally Posted by WiiRevolution1

Damnit I didn't want any spoilers but I had to enter this thread because I was paranoid at the talks before release that are apparently true.

The protagonist isn't the protagonist. FUCKING WHY! I wanted a girl protagonist so much!

So who's the real protagonist? The robot? I want my girl. With how few girl protagonists there are this is such a cruel fucking thing to do. Disgusting. I'm so dissapointed right now.

The protagonist is detective boy.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-12-2017, 01:09 AM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
Can someone who understands Japanese tell me the context of this scene? New voices, not belonging to any of the cast, are talking about something with Kaede's memorial in the background.

https://youtu.be/HwXUc82m6EY?t=1h55m37s
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-12-2017 at 01:12 AM.
WiiRevolution1
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:11 AM)
WiiRevolution1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fancolors

The protagonist is detective boy.

Aahh. More interesting than the robot like character but still just sad.

I will still get it since I love DR but its such a cruel thing to do if your not going to replace her with a different girl.
Squire
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:22 AM)
Squire's Avatar

Originally Posted by TWILT

Read up about Kaede's death last night and I'm honestly pretty salty and disappointed about it. I know people joked about it happening when she was announced as the protagonist, but ughhhh, I really hate that they went through with it because she was the part I was looking forward to the most about the game. :( That being said, the stuff I read about how it affects stuff later in the story actually sounds...pretty cool, but I dunno, something about it just rubs me off the wrong way.

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

I mean, pretty much everyone felt the same way. It's just a ton of us (myself included) deluded ourselves into thinking it wouldn't play out that way, since it was too obvious. The truth is, we let the excitement of playing as a different kind of DR protagonist get the best of us. I'm glad I know better now, though!

Boys 4 lyfe!!

This really sucks :(((

The reports that the narrative justifies it later aren't any sort of comfort right now. Maybe time will heal the wound, but right now I feel burned to the point of not wanting to play at all honestly.
UberTag
Banned
(01-12-2017, 01:44 AM)
UberTag's Avatar
I knew there was a reason I left this game off my most anticipated of 2017 list.
Puruzi
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:47 AM)
Puruzi's Avatar
the salt about Kaede's death is hilarious now

W/e, she seems like one of the best characters in the game because of so i'm totally fine with it now

That execution was also quite fucked

Actually not just game, entire series maybe
Last edited by Puruzi; 01-12-2017 at 01:52 AM.
PK Gaming
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:47 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zolo

Eh. She still seems to be a strong character going by the spoilers and was still marketed as the protagonist, so it's not like they were worried about a female protagonist not selling.

No offense, but I don't really care about how she might have affected sales or how strong of a character she might be.

This was a great time for for a female protagonist to really shine in a mainstream VN and Kodaka decided to botch it by going with a dude again. A milquetoast, low confidence boy who's sad but resolved after his waifu dies. Talk about a unique, expectation defying setup!

Like, it's pretty obvious they still wanted to pander to self insert crowd, which is probably the reason why the ratio of male to female protags in mainstream VNs is still like 9:1 (if not higher). Feels bad.
Last edited by PK Gaming; 01-12-2017 at 01:57 AM.
UberTag
Banned
(01-12-2017, 01:56 AM)
UberTag's Avatar

Originally Posted by Puruzi

the salt about Kaede's death is hilarious now

W/e, she seems like one of the best characters in the game because of so i'm totally fine with it now

That execution was also quite fucked

Actually not just game, entire series maybe

Heh... I still consider Chisa one of the best characters in the entire series (despite the DR3 anime not winding up so hot) and she got royally screwed over too. This is hardly a new thing.
kierwynn
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:58 AM)
kierwynn's Avatar
I think the twist is interesting, I'm just extremely disappointed it had to happen when we had the chance for a female protag. Like, had the opposite happened I would have liked it much better simply because we've had plenty of male leads. The news initially really dampened the hype I had (this has been one of my most anticipated games for the year), but reading the full spoilers has me a little more interested again. I think there's some interesting stuff going on, I just really wish we could have played as a female character.
Puruzi
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:01 AM)
Puruzi's Avatar
Even though this is the spoiler thread i'll still spoil this just in case

She didn't even really get screwed, she agreed with Rantarou to die in a Nagito esque gambit to out the mastermind that actually succeeds, and she didn't even need to use luck. Just her wits.

Assuming the spoilers are true, which seems likely at this point she's fucking awesome.

This isn't to make anyone feel better about her biting it, I just think she's cool as hell
Last edited by Puruzi; 01-12-2017 at 02:04 AM.
UberTag
Banned
(01-12-2017, 02:06 AM)
UberTag's Avatar

Originally Posted by kierwynn

I think the twist is interesting, I'm just extremely disappointed it had to happen when we had the chance for a female protag. Like, had the opposite happened I would have liked it much better simply because we've had plenty of male leads. The news initially really dampened the hype I had (this has been one of my most anticipated games for the year), but reading the full spoilers has me a little more interested again. I think there's some interesting stuff going on, I just really wish we could have played as a female character.

One drawback I think with having a consensus "let-down" spoiler doled out right in the first chapter - especially after the consensus "let-down" that was the DR3 anime and its "everyone was brainwashed by anime" twist - is that it encourages folks to just go "what the hell, I'll just spoil the entire game for myself" then.

Clearly that happened for you. I can honestly say that happened for me. And, I think that will be to the detriment of this game's reception.

Especially when you couple in the fact that Spike Chunsoft is actively encouraging the dissemination of this spoiler by allowing Chapter 1 streams and blacklisting all others... along with that doozy of a spoiler as a trophy unlock graphic.

It doesn't seem like a wise decision.
Squire
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:06 AM)
Squire's Avatar

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

No offense, but I don't really care about how she might have affected sales or how strong of a character she might be.

This was a great time for for a female protagonist to really shine in a mainstream VN and Kodaka decided to botch it by going with a dude again. A milquetoast, low confidence boy who's sad but resolved after his waifu dies. Talk about a unique, expectation defying setup!

Like, it's pretty obvious they still wanted to pander to self insert crowd, which is probably the reason why the ratio of male to female protags in mainstream VNs is still like 9:1 (if not higher). Feels bad.

This is why praise for the narrative doesn't mean much. The optics of this are terrible and, from the surface, it seems like very boring storytelling.

We really shouldn't be able to predict something like this happening and we did. That's not a win for Kodaka.

It also doesn't negate the narrative frok being good. But if the proof is in the pudding, it's at the bottom of the bowl here and I'm not paying until I taste it myself, if I ever care to.
PK Gaming
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:06 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar

Originally Posted by kierwynn

I think the twist is interesting, I'm just extremely disappointed it had to happen when we had the chance for a female protag. Like, had the opposite happened I would have liked it much better simply because we've had plenty of male leads. The news initially really dampened the hype I had (this has been one of my most anticipated games for the year), but reading the full spoilers has me a little more interested again. I think there's some interesting stuff going on, I just really wish we could have played as a female character.

I was literally just thinking that.

It would have been so much better if Saihara was the decoy. He'd be far "less" obvious, and a detective turned killer is such a neat concept in a DanganRonpa game. Imagine playing as him for the first chapter, with him doing his detective thing, having the connection with his designated love interest, and the confidence of his peers, etc. Just very standard DanganRonpa. And then BANG. The ace detective is actually the culprit and you end up playing as Kaede, a completely unexpected turn. Now that would "defy expectations."

***

I'm not saying the first chapter is bad, because it's genuinely an effective twist. It just came at the cost of a female protagonist aka a completely fresh experience. It's doubtful we'll see a female protagonist in a mainstream VN anytime soon so it hurts even more.

Damn. I just made myself sadder.
Last edited by PK Gaming; 01-12-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Zolo
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:10 AM)
Zolo's Avatar

Originally Posted by kierwynn

I think the twist is interesting, I'm just extremely disappointed it had to happen when we had the chance for a female protag.

Pretty much where I'm at. I personally wished they did a reverse of the situation, and it does seem like the new protagonist seems too similar to the previous protagonists. That said, I don't really hold too much against the devs here because when almost all of your sales are on the first day in Japan, the devs were fine with marketing a female protagonist without worry it seems on how that may affect sales. Compare that to how for a certain time you had certain western devs like that one Assassin's Creed game where they had a playable female protagonist, but all the marketing was on the selectable male protagonist. At least this I can respect more as a personal choice since it's not like it has a male protagonist for safe marketing reasons.
Gemeanie
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by PK Gaming


It would have been so much better if Saihara was the decoy.

I disagree with that. I think people actually expected him to die because of him sharing a skill with one of the most important characters in the series and also his detective skill would have threatened the mastermind if left alive as player's ally like Kirigiri (despite his lack of confidence he provided very useful information to Kaede at some point in Chapter 1) so the twist pretty well when he turned out to be the protagonist.

Him being the decoy would barely leave any impact anyway because DR1.
Last edited by Gemeanie; 01-12-2017 at 04:00 AM.
ShadowSoldier89
Member
(01-12-2017, 04:03 AM)
ShadowSoldier89's Avatar
after the absolute fucking disaster that was DR3 I decided I'd pass on this game. However having a the main protag be a female was enough to have me reconsidering.

Read all the spoilers and am just skipping. Killing Kaede off 1 chapter in completely destroys the one thing I was looking forward too.

The twist itself actually seems pretty well done, but not enough to get me to want to play through 5 chapters as fucking shuichi instead
Cheshire_Buddha
Member
(01-12-2017, 04:11 AM)
Cheshire_Buddha's Avatar
Yeah, I like the twist. Day one for me.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(01-12-2017, 04:20 AM)
AniHawk's Avatar
get it? killing harmony.
PK Gaming
Member
(01-12-2017, 04:21 AM)
PK Gaming's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gemeanie

I disagree with that. I think people actually expected him to die because of him sharing a skill with one of the most important characters in the series and also his detective skill would have threatened the mastermind if left alive as player's ally like Kirigiri (despite his lack of confidence he provided very useful information to Kaede at some point in Chapter 1) so the twist pretty well when he turned out to be the protagonist.

Him being the decoy would barely leave any impact anyway because DR1.

I disagree with your disagreement. To start, I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario in which he was presented as the MC in all media, and not as the player's ally. I think that would have garnered some suspicion, but not to the same overwhelming degree that Kaede got (because again, she was pretty damn atypical). I also think you're placing too much emphasis on DR1 and "talents." The story doesn't exist in a vacuum; it would trivial to write him as a character who doesn't function similarly to Kyoko. His utter lack of confidence and conviction absolutely do enough to paint him as someone dissimilar to Kyoko, rendering past comparisons pointless.

I dislike the current twist because it lives and dies on whether you were hoping for Kaede to remain the protagonist. A significant amount of people I've seen (on Gamefaqs/Tumblr/etc) who wasn't immediate fan of her suspected of her possibly being replaced by him (the boxart alone is pretty damn telling).

And sadly, they ended up being right.

Originally Posted by AniHawk

get it? killing harmony.

DanganRonpa V3: Killing My Hype
caliph95
Member
(01-12-2017, 04:22 AM)
caliph95's Avatar
I can excuse the twist and be interested if the male character is unique compared to Hajime and Makoto, i was interested in Kaede besides the gender because seems a breath of fresh air with her personality. While Hajime is better than Makoto he isn't that dissimilar mostly due to the plague of being a main character so he had to be Straight man. Kaede being more gung ho than them did sounds interesting and will be fine with the twist if detective boy isn't a generic protagonist. I'm going to wait and see when i play the game to fully judge it in english anyway.
QuiteWhittle
his name is Jacob and he matters.
(01-12-2017, 04:33 AM)
QuiteWhittle's Avatar
He's trying guys

Oh yeah, one thing no one mentioned before is that there's a murder time limit in V3. If no one is murdered after two days, everyone is executed.

So killers might be more sympathetic this time around.
Last edited by QuiteWhittle; 01-12-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Thread Tools