• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

The_Inquisitor
Member
(09-09-2016, 11:26 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by dc89

Worth noting the Watch Series 1 & 2 now comes with a shorter 1M charging cable.
OG watches came with a 2m cable.

Oh that freaking sucks. I have my cable plugged into my computer from nightstand which needs the full length to connect. I guess worse case you could purchase a USB extender but :(
pbsapeer
Banned
(09-09-2016, 11:36 PM)
Just read this thread. Had no idea you could play music from the watch. Really glad I preordered one now. I asked in another thread, anyone know why the Nike watch is taking longer to release??

Also can anyone recommend some nice Bluetooth headphones for running that work well with the Apple Watch? I'd love to get those new air pods but I'm guessing they'll be falling out all over the place, seeing as the wired do that to me now.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(09-09-2016, 11:44 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by pbsapeer

Just read this thread. Had no idea you could play music from the watch. Really glad I preordered one now. I asked in another thread, anyone know why the Nike watch is taking longer to release??

Also can anyone recommend some nice Bluetooth headphones for running that work well with the Apple Watch? I'd love to get those new air pods but I'm guessing they'll be falling out all over the place, seeing as the wired do that to me now.

Jaybird X2. Lifetime sweat warranty and they last 5 hours on 1 charge. I've run 2 half marathons with them and they never fell out.
pbsapeer
Banned
(09-09-2016, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Jaybird X2. Lifetime sweat warranty and they last 5 hours on 1 charge. I've run 2 half marathons with them and they never fell out.

Yeah man they look class. I used to have some wired adidas senheiser ones that were a similar style and thought they were great. These looks really good :)
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-09-2016, 11:51 PM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Guess Who

I've heard a lot of people swim with their original Watch with no problems, really.

I use my original Watch in the hot tub after working out and I haven't had any problems.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(09-09-2016, 11:52 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by pbsapeer

Yeah man they look class. I used to have some wired adidas senheiser ones that were a similar style and thought they were great. These looks really good :)

Don't bother w/ the Motorolla series ones that go around head. I went through 2 pairs in 6 months. But Jaybirds have been best headphones so far. Anyone have a recommendation for swimming headphones (bone conduction)?
Chittagong
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:26 AM)
Chittagong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Put in my order for the S2 Space Black SS. Early October delivery estimate

It seems 16 Sept is a paper launch. Earliest I've seen anyone report delivery estimates for Series 2 is 30 Sept.
subrock
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:34 AM)
subrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Please submit feedback about this. Everyone submit feedback about this. I can only do it so many times

Can you describe what you're looking for? You mean just like a track name and artist?


My one gripe about putting the music player in the dock is not that it's harder to quickly get to the audio controls which I tend to do often while driving. it's a little too touchy to get to the controls screen
The_Inquisitor
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:36 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chittagong

It seems 16 Sept is a paper launch. Earliest I've seen anyone report delivery estimates for Series 2 is 30 Sept.

Some people in launch thread for iphone claim that they have orders in for 9/16. So who knows.
subrock
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:42 AM)
subrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Some people in launch thread for iphone claim that they have orders in for 9/16. So who knows.

Mine's 9/16 for a 42mm black sport

edit: derp, you're talking about the black SS
eyeball_kid
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:46 AM)
eyeball_kid's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Oh that freaking sucks. I have my cable plugged into my computer from nightstand which needs the full length to connect. I guess worse case you could purchase a USB extender but :(

Apparently they will be selling the 2m cable for $20 or so, but yeah. My nightstand is not 1m away from an electric plug. Weird decision.
Deku Tree
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:48 AM)
Deku Tree's Avatar
Is the woven nylon band better or worse than the sport band?
Bruce Springsteen
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:49 AM)
Bruce Springsteen's Avatar
I have a hard time believing these won't be heavily stocked at Apple stores, the demand isn't there. Can't wait to pick up a series 2 next week though, really love my apple watch
SuperPac
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:59 AM)
SuperPac's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

Is the woven nylon band better or worse than the sport band?

Better IMO. I have the black nylon band and two sport bands but most often I wear the nylon band.
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-10-2016, 01:00 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

Is the woven nylon band better or worse than the sport band?

Better for everyday use but I'd still rather use the sport band at the gym.
robotrock
Banned
(09-10-2016, 01:02 AM)
robotrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Better for everyday use but I'd still rather use the sport band at the gym.

This. I love my Nylon band but it doesn't breathe as nice as the sport band when it's super hot or if you're lifting or something
Zeyphersan
Banned
(09-10-2016, 01:02 AM)

Originally Posted by subrock

Can you describe what you're looking for? You mean just like a track name and artist?


My one gripe about putting the music player in the dock is not that it's harder to quickly get to the audio controls which I tend to do often while driving. it's a little too touchy to get to the controls screen

I'm not always playing stuff through the music app though. It could be overcast or pandora or anything. The music complication only gives info about what's coming through the music app specifically, a now playing complication is much more general
Shearie
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

Is the woven nylon band better or worse than the sport band?

I have both in black (although nylon black looks more grayish) and I like them equally. I also don't think the sport bands are only good for when you work out, I think they fit well with stylish clothes too.
robotrock
Banned
(09-10-2016, 01:14 AM)
robotrock's Avatar
How should I go about buffing out the scratches on my Stainless Steel?
eyeball_kid
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:21 AM)
eyeball_kid's Avatar
Since I'm passing on the series 2, I was going to pick up a nylon band to make my Watch feel a bit fresh and hopefully more unassuming. But now that I'm reading reviews, it sounds like the nylon bands are cheaply made? Plastic lugs? I wouldn't have expected plastic parts for a $50 band.
Shearie
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:26 AM)

Originally Posted by eyeball_kid

Since I'm passing on the series 2, I was going to pick up a nylon band to make my Watch feel a bit fresh and hopefully more unassuming. But now that I'm reading reviews, it sounds like the nylon bands are cheaply made? Plastic lugs? I wouldn't have expected plastic parts for a $50 band.

It does not feel cheaply made, it's just not made with premium materials.

You can always try them on at an Apple Store if that's an option for you.
Lord Error
Insane For Sony
(09-10-2016, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by eyeball_kid

Since I'm passing on the series 2, I was going to pick up a nylon band to make my Watch feel a bit fresh and hopefully more unassuming. But now that I'm reading reviews, it sounds like the nylon bands are cheaply made? Plastic lugs? I wouldn't have expected plastic parts for a $50 band.

They are better made than any NATO style band I've ever seen. I mean there's some serious precision waving tech employed to make these things, and it's impressive to look at, and it feels more premium than any cloth/Nato style strap I've seen. The Lugs are steel covered with plastic, similar to how on a silicone band, you have steel inside covered with silicone. I'm positive about this, as I've checked with magnet.
Kito
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:31 AM)
Kito's Avatar
In the UK, the pricing difference between series 1 and 2 is 40. nevermind it's 100. Misread.
Doodis
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:37 AM)
Doodis's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Jaybird X2. Lifetime sweat warranty and they last 5 hours on 1 charge. I've run 2 half marathons with them and they never fell out.

+1 on Jaybird. I've been using their buds for several years now and love them.
Guy LeDouche
Banned
(09-10-2016, 01:38 AM)
my wife's birthday is at the end of the month, so I preordered her a 38mm rose gold series 1 with the pink band and the cocoa band. She said not to get her anything, which feels like a trap (of course its a trap), so this should work out.
eyeball_kid
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:48 AM)
eyeball_kid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lord Error

They are better made than any NATO style band I've ever seen. I mean there's some serious precision waving tech employed to make these things, and it's impressive to look at, and it feels more premium than any cloth/Nato style strap I've seen. The Lugs are steel covered with plastic, similar to how on a silicone band, you have steel inside covered with silicone. I'm positive about this, as I've checked with magnet.

Hm ok thanks, that doesn't sound so bad. I like the look, it feels like you can wear it and dress up or down without it looking out of place.
Fuchsdh
Member
(09-10-2016, 01:50 AM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar

Originally Posted by subrock

They're actually surprisingly subtle when you wear them daily. I rarely get comments on mine

Yep a few of my coworkers have them and unless you give a hard look you'd never notice them, especially if they're in the darker colors.
japtor
Member
(09-10-2016, 02:10 AM)
japtor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lord Error

They are better made than any NATO style band I've ever seen. I mean there's some serious precision waving tech employed to make these things, and it's impressive to look at, and it feels more premium than any cloth/Nato style strap I've seen. The Lugs are steel covered with plastic, similar to how on a silicone band, you have steel inside covered with silicone. I'm positive about this, as I've checked with magnet.

Haven't messed with the Apple ones, but I got a two piece NATO and put my own lugs on, and can confirm the cheap NATO stuff is...cheap. Edges kinda poorly finished, the double layer wraps around the rings but ends abruptly and can be sharp and uncomfortable (I've trimmed it down a bit and worn it in), etc. They work and look fine, but they're meh quality. That said I do prefer the look of the oval NATO rings (and the lugs I got).

...I wouldn't have minded some of the Apple Olympic/flag ones though.
robotrock
Banned
(09-10-2016, 02:13 AM)
robotrock's Avatar
They're selling the Hermes bands on their own now. Does that mean I'll be able to use the Hermes watch face on my non-Hermes Watch?
Guess Who
Banned
(09-10-2016, 02:18 AM)

Originally Posted by robotrock

They're selling the Hermes bands on their own now. Does that mean I'll be able to use the Hermes watch face on my non-Hermes Watch?

Nope. Need a Hermes case for the Hermes faces.
gatti-man
Member
(09-10-2016, 02:25 AM)
gatti-man's Avatar
Is it wrong that I'm 10x more excited for this than iPhone 7? I actually use my MS band about 60 hours a week so the watch 2 is going to be a huge upgrade. I cook at my restaurant a lot and can't be pulling out my phone so the voice to text, voice to call and visual features are all a god send. Gym stuff is just an added plus. Really excited to get mine. Went with the orange band since IMO it's a toy not a real watch. I have a real watch for dates and dressing out.
robotrock
Banned
(09-10-2016, 02:26 AM)
robotrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Guess Who

Nope. Need a Hermes case for the Hermes faces.

Life isn't fair.
Solideliquid
Member
(09-10-2016, 02:29 AM)
Solideliquid's Avatar
I wonder how noticeable performance will be on the series 2, versus series 0 with watchOS 3?

Preordered but will be interested in seeing some comparisons on YouTube.
Jtwo
Member
(09-10-2016, 04:55 AM)
Jtwo's Avatar

Originally Posted by pbsapeer

Just read this thread. Had no idea you could play music from the watch. Really glad I preordered one now. I asked in another thread, anyone know why the Nike watch is taking longer to release??

Also can anyone recommend some nice Bluetooth headphones for running that work well with the Apple Watch? I'd love to get those new air pods but I'm guessing they'll be falling out all over the place, seeing as the wired do that to me now.

Last year was like that too. It's just a pipeline thing. Even though I ordered mine with a leather clasp right at midnight it took like 3-4 weeks longer than the first sport models to ship out.
jts
...hate me...
(09-10-2016, 05:26 AM)
jts's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solideliquid

I wonder how noticeable performance will be on the series 2, versus series 0 with watchOS 3?

Preordered but will be interested in seeing some comparisons on YouTube.

Already noticing some stuttering, for example in the Breathe app. I'm guessing software will now be designed optimized for series 2, while slower hardware will just run it as well as it can.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(09-10-2016, 05:43 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by jts

Already noticing some stuttering, for example in the Breathe app. I'm guessing software will now be designed optimized for series 2, while slower hardware will just run it as well as it can.

I mean the fact series 1 is launching with new CPU should be a hint. Than and they don't want to manufacture their original SIP anymore.
Shearie
Member
(09-10-2016, 07:41 AM)
Noticed something interesting about the 38mm ceramic watch. While all the series 2 watches went up to 11.4mm thick up from 10.5mm of the original and series 1, the 38mm ceramic is actually the thickest one at 11.8mm.
Spyware
Member
(09-10-2016, 08:01 AM)
Been looking at getting a watch for a while, even went and tried on some "regular" watches and read lots and lots about different types. Nothing clicked with me. So I started looking at AW earlier this year and have been waiting on a new one since. Have never even seen a smart watch in person before so it's gonna be fun to check it out. I like gagets a lot and I'm pretty "hyped".
Really bummed about them not releasing Series 1 in stainless steel tho, since I don't really need the S2 features. I don't like the look of the aluminium ones and I always manage to scratch stuff, so I want the SS.

It's annoying that they can't offer more color choices for the bands. I really didn't want any of the ones that the SS comes with. Luckily my SO sorta wanted the brown classic buckle so I got him the black SS with black sport band and got the classic buckle version of mine. Then I could happily choose my bands in the colors I wanted without feeling like I wasted money on ones I don't like.

Put my order in really quick since I had put everything in my fav list before, and still got Oct 6 as estimated date. Funny thing is that if I chose to get them sent separately, nothing in my cart had a later date than Sep 29.
jts
...hate me...
(09-10-2016, 08:16 AM)
jts's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

I mean the fact series 1 is launching with new CPU should be a hint. Than and they don't want to manufacture their original SIP anymore.

Yep. Well at least it didn't break anything yet. Maybe it will by Series 3's time.
pbsapeer
Banned
(09-10-2016, 08:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Jtwo

Last year was like that too. It's just a pipeline thing. Even though I ordered mine with a leather clasp right at midnight it took like 3-4 weeks longer than the first sport models to ship out.

So you think it's the wristband that's causing the delay in launch?
Mask
Member
(09-10-2016, 09:22 AM)
Mask's Avatar
I'm considering selling my original one and upgrading to the Nike edition of the second one, just because I like the yellow and black colors, but not sure..

Might just keep both, since I tend to keep my electronics most of the time :p
jts
...hate me...
(09-10-2016, 10:05 AM)
jts's Avatar

Anyone interested in Activity Sharing?
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(09-10-2016, 10:05 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Ordered my Series 2 today. No Series 2 was available for UK before 30 Sept. Nothing for launch day shipping on Apple.com. Crazy.

So which one did I go for? Wasn't an easy decision. In fact, is was really complex. Here's my rationale.

1. Series 2 steel with white sport band - works with my old Link Bracelet. But shit, I already have a white sport band. Now, a Hermes band would be nice instead.

2. Series 2 steel Hermes - looks gorgeous and sophisticated. But shit, this thing is 1200 for the same old design, which will be replaced next year anyway... and I use it mostly for sports anyway.

3. Series 2 aluminum Nike+ - this looks amazing, great for sports. But shit, aluminum looks hideous with my current Link Bracelet, so nope. Stainless steel it is. But with a new band.

4. Series 2 steel with leather band - looks great, and I could have a leather band for just an extra 100. But shit, it's not nearly as nice as the Hermes band. So I'd rather have that.

5. Series 2 steel with white sport band - ok, I'll pretend I don't have two white bands, and can buy a Hermes band later, and hope Nike+ bands become available separately.

So, Series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band is what I ordered.

Does the White sport band work well with SS? I'm sticking with my OG SS which came with a product (red) sport band. Could swap if you like? Send me your white, you can have my red?
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(09-10-2016, 10:12 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by infiniteloop

i agree. I'd like a Now Playing complication as well.

Can complications carry out actions directly or do they have to link to an app?

I'd just like a play/pause complication

Actually just bloody let us build our own complications and faces like facer on Android Wear
SuicidalSteve
Member
(09-10-2016, 10:21 AM)
SuicidalSteve's Avatar
I'm interested I the series 2 apple watch but I don't have an iPhone. Can still use this without it?
Broken Hope
Member
(09-10-2016, 10:23 AM)
Broken Hope's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chittagong

Ordered my Series 2 today. No Series 2 was available for UK before 30 Sept. Nothing for launch day shipping on Apple.com. Crazy.

So which one did I go for? Wasn't an easy decision. In fact, is was really complex. Here's my rationale.

1. Series 2 steel with white sport band - works with my old Link Bracelet. But shit, I already have a white sport band. Now, a Hermes band would be nice instead.

2. Series 2 steel Hermes - looks gorgeous and sophisticated. But shit, this thing is 1200 for the same old design, which will be replaced next year anyway... and I use it mostly for sports anyway.

3. Series 2 aluminum Nike+ - this looks amazing, great for sports. But shit, aluminum looks hideous with my current Link Bracelet, so nope. Stainless steel it is. But with a new band.

4. Series 2 steel with leather band - looks great, and I could have a leather band for just an extra 100. But shit, it's not nearly as nice as the Hermes band. So I'd rather have that.

5. Series 2 steel with white sport band - ok, I'll pretend I don't have two white bands, and can buy a Hermes band later, and hope Nike+ bands become available separately.

So, Series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band is what I ordered.

I ordered a series 2 steel 42mm with white sport band and my date is the 16th in the UK. Ordered at around 8:05.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(09-10-2016, 10:53 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar
Is there any way to download and play podcasts from the watch to listen to without my phone in my pocket? Only thing I can find from googling is some horrible long-winded workaround using iTunes which I want to avoid

I normally use pocketcasts but would download another app if it could push podcasts to the watch
Fliesen
Member
(09-10-2016, 11:04 AM)
Fliesen's Avatar

Originally Posted by SuicidalSteve

I'm interested I the series 2 apple watch but I don't have an iPhone. Can still use this without it?

I'm quite sure you can't even set it up, let alone update it without an iPhone.
It's at its core a companion device to the iPhone.
Chittagong
Member
(09-10-2016, 12:20 PM)
Chittagong's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Does the White sport band work well with SS? I'm sticking with my OG SS which came with a product (red) sport band. Could swap if you like? Send me your white, you can have my red?

Sounds like a plan - I think the white band looks great on SS, I can send you the new one. Wouldn't mind a (RED) band, nice to have something different!
pbsapeer
Banned
(09-10-2016, 01:30 PM)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016PT8J..._o5-0xbAZN5G3S

This watch strap looks quite decent for the money. I might pick one up for 10... And the holder they do looks nice as well

Thread Tools