• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Scoot2005
Banned
(08-08-2015, 07:53 PM)
So an anti-piracy group has been getting videos taken down that have the word pixels in the title. Why you may ask? Because they believe that it is infringing on the copyrights to the Adam Sandler movie pixels.

An anti-piracy firm working for Columbia Pictures has hit Vimeo with a wave of bogus copyright takedowns just because people used the word 'Pixels' in their video titles. Several indie productions are affected, including an art-focused NGO, an award-winning short movie and a royalty free stock footage company.

This week anti-piracy group Entura International sent a notice to Vimeo in what first appeared to be an effort to stop piracy of the Columbia movie ‘Pixels’. Not only did it fail to do that in every way possible, it hit a number of indie creators and filmmakers instead.

Founded in November 2004, NeMe describes itself as a non-profit NGO and an ‘Independent Museum of Contemporary Art’.

“Our NGO has just received a DMCA notice for a video we produced in 2006 entitled ‘Pixels’,” the group told Vimeo this week.

“The video was directed by a Cypriot film-maker using his own photos and sounds/music on a shoestring budget and infringes no copyright.”

Here's the link to the article: https://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy...pixels-150808/
Drifters
(08-08-2015, 07:54 PM)
Hmm, that reads like a clever marketing campaign from the studio.
Jeevesmeister
Banned
(08-08-2015, 07:54 PM)
Don't tell Sandler the actual term is "voxels," I don't want to lose my hopes and dreams for a new Novalogic game.
BY2K
Membero Americo
(08-08-2015, 07:55 PM)
Just when I thought an Adam Sandler movie couldn't do much more harm that being terrible...
Princess Viola
(08-08-2015, 07:56 PM)
is it bad i laughed
Cyan
Red
(08-08-2015, 07:58 PM)
Why even bother, who the fuck would want to pirate this shit.
Scoot2005
Banned

Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa

is it bad i laughed

No. Lol.

Originally Posted by Cyan

THAT'S WHAT I SAID
SuperBanana
Also in news: Piracy sites are taking down all torrents with the word "pixel" in hopes no one will accidentally watch the abomination of a movie.
BocoDragon
Banned
(08-08-2015, 08:00 PM)
To be fair, I bet it's not really that these little guys are infringing on Sandler's movie. It's just their clumsy methods of marking masses of copies of their movie gets a lot of false positives with such a simple name like that.
Dennis
Banned
(08-08-2015, 08:01 PM)
Can we please take down Adam Sandler instead?
Messypandas
(08-08-2015, 08:02 PM)
Torrent sites should boycott their films after treatment like this.
Scoot2005
Banned
(08-08-2015, 08:04 PM)

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

To be fair, I bet it's not really that these little guys are infringing on Sandler's movie. It's just their clumsy methods of marking masses of copies of their movie gets a lot of false positives with such a simple name like that.

Read the article. This recent act has reached back in time quite farther than the recent movie. A dudes project for college was taken down for fuck sakes.
Scrooged
Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
(08-08-2015, 08:07 PM)
Holy shit. They took down the Pixels short film that the movie was based on.
CrocMother
(08-08-2015, 08:07 PM)
Hopefully someone at that anti-piracy company gets fired. That's just lazy
minor effort
(08-08-2015, 08:08 PM)
I can't believe we're still forced to hear about Adam Sandler in 2015.

His 90s movies were never amusing and Punch Drunk Love is the worst PTA movie by miles.

How did he even get famous from SNL in the first place? What did he do on there? Opera Man?
Scoot2005
Banned
(08-08-2015, 08:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Scrooged

It's still on Youtube. Watch while you can. The link for that is in the article.

Edit - It's under 3 minutes and SFW. It was quite good. Very well made.
Last edited by Scoot2005; 08-08-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(08-08-2015, 08:13 PM)
My issue with this is that there is absolutely no consequence to C&D abuse. People subject to obviously bogus C&Ds should not merely be able to countclaim, they should also be able to seek injunctions against those making the claim. An Anti-SLAPP law for the DMCA generation.
Scoot2005
Banned
(08-08-2015, 08:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

My issue with this is that there is absolutely no consequence to C&D abuse. People subject to obviously bogus C&Ds should not merely be able to countclaim, they should also be able to seek injunctions against those making the claim. An Anti-SLAPP law for the DMCA generation.

As far as I know the website (Vimeo) pretty much told these people that they can't do shit about it. The college project agitates me the most. All that work for fucking nothing simply due to some bullshit.
L.O.R.D
(08-09-2015, 02:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Cyan

because its too shit , they don't want anyone to watch it
good guys group indeed
Maninthemirror
Banned
(08-09-2015, 02:59 PM)
they are doing the world a service. the movie is atrocious
Rich!
If this is a retro/homebrew thread, I'm a helpful poster.

If not, I'm either angry about something minor or ranting about how much GAF sucks because everyone is angry all the time.

This tag will disappear when it is no longer true.
(08-09-2015, 03:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Maninthemirror

they are doing the world a service. the movie is atrocious

Eh?

Uh, reread the OP man
leadbelly
Banned
(08-09-2015, 04:07 PM)
Makes you wonder if they have some type of commission based payment.
zeemumu
(08-09-2015, 04:09 PM)
I wonder if they'll attempt to get rid of Pixel Perfect and step on Disney's toes.
Oersted
(08-10-2015, 12:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Scrooged

And the trailer for the Sandler movie. This is just absurd.
LuffyZoro
(08-10-2015, 12:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Oersted

And the trailer for the Sandler movie. This is just absurd.

Yeah, that's when it was pushed into the ridiculous.
Oersted
(08-10-2015, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by LuffyZoro

Yeah, that's when it was pushed into the ridiculous.

Its the original short and trailer for new movie combo. I mean what the hell.
Surface of Me
(08-10-2015, 12:21 AM)
Adam Sandler must be stopped.
fastford58
Banned
(08-10-2015, 12:22 AM)
I wouldn't watch that pos movie for free.
Solid Samus
Banned
(08-10-2015, 12:25 AM)
copyright bullshitters deserve to have their asses beat in real life by mixed martial artists
Gaz_RB
(08-10-2015, 12:26 AM)
No one wants to pirate Pixels, trust me.
Maninthemirror
Banned
(08-10-2015, 12:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Rich!

Eh?

Uh, reread the OP man

Yes and any trace of remembering it should suffice
old
(08-10-2015, 12:34 AM)

Would seem reasonable to me that they could sue for loss revenue and damages. Hell, trump up the claims and add defamation for the false accusation of pirating. Emotional trauma, distress. Really pile them up. Start making these companies think twice about filing these claims recklessly.

Europe will probably beat us to it and pass protections for uploaders before we do.
GameAddict411
(08-10-2015, 12:46 AM)
I wouldn't watch it even if they paid me ugh....
A Link to the Past
Snitch
(08-10-2015, 12:48 AM)

Agreed. It would keep these kinds of companies honest. Right now they know that they can just scattershot because it's cheaper and easier than being careful.
DiipuSurotu
(08-10-2015, 12:48 AM)
Thank goodness they never took down videos with the word "Click" -- Sandler's only good film.