• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Aselith
(09-16-2017, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by unrealist

PUBG is a good counter example of a mediocre game doing well.

Within it's genre, which was already extremely popular, it had several innovations which put it way above the competition. It's the high water mark within it's genre so it's not mediocre.

Mediocrity is a relative term
Yukinari
(09-16-2017, 10:33 PM)
You know this is fucked up but one day ill just buy PUBG to sell the Twitch Crate and make double or triple the profit.

A crate worth 100+ dollars right now.
Servbot24
Banned
(09-16-2017, 10:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Aselith

Within it's genre, which was already extremely popular, it had several innovations which put it way above the competition. It's the high water mark within it's genre so it's not mediocre.

Maybe the genre is comprised of crappy games and PUBG is the first to rise all the way up to decency :P
sonicmj1

Originally Posted by Orayn

If people have spent money on it and the average owned has played for dozens of hours, I'd say it's as "out" as it needs to be. Hell, it's in no less of a "released" state than any other service game.

So what happens if it exits early access next year? Is it GOTY every year?

I love PUBG, but the way I see it having the game in Early Access is the developers' way of saying that they don't consider their game finished. I'll vote for it as GOTY only when the developers tell me they think it's in a "released" state.
ctw0e

Originally Posted by Lothars

For individuals, it can absolutely be someone goty but I think like others have said it can't be considered for outlets until it's officially released and not early access. It's makes perfect sense why this is the case.

Makes no sense at all actually.

Bluehole decides to release 1.0 tomorrow without changing anything noteworthy, and all of a sudden it's eligible for GOTY-voting?

I don't see how it matters, or how it affects one's enjoyment out of these GOTY lists, whether it's eligible or not. IGN won't vote for it, but that doesn't really matter -- at the end of the day it's up to each individual outlet and not some sort of International GOTY Federation. I'm sure outlets like Giant Bomb and Waypoint will nominate it in some way at least, so I doubt it will go unnoticed.

It's nothing more than a popularity contest at this point; why should we be limited by arbitrary rules set by these companies?

I guess there has to be some form of regulation, at least for a board like this. I'm just not sure this narrative "it has always been like this, so it has to stay that way" is beneficial to anyone. I mean, my favorite GOTY-lists are the various personal GOTY-lists found on Giant Bomb each year, and those are not regulated in any shape or form. Just a bunch of famous/random folks writing about their gaming year and what games they had fun with/thought were interesting. Sometimes they include an old game from previous year, adding that it had an update that changed the game completely and changed their relation to it. It's all just for fun, and I don't think adding some leeway will take that away.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(09-16-2017, 10:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Orayn

It's not survival so much as a deliberately paced deathmatch on a huge map. The play area is constantly shrinking so you have to stay on the move. You can play solo, duo, or in a squad of 3/4 and each mode has its own servers. You can freely jump back and forth between third and first person unless you're playing on a first person only server.

That does sound pretty fun.
Servbot24
Banned
(09-16-2017, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by sonicmj1

So what happens if it exits early access next year? Is it GOTY every year?

Sure if you want. There's no list police coming to get you.
Mass_Pincup
Banned
(09-16-2017, 10:37 PM)
I wish I had a PC powerful enough to run it.
Plus1Attack
(09-16-2017, 10:38 PM)
Super happy for the game, but also, it's sort of hilarious to see how in love people are with this game. Seems to me to be more of an example of Twitch/Streaming's popularity and influence than just the objectively best game of the year. I love it, but it seems more of a right time and right place thing to me.

Still, either way, that's one hell of an achievement.
rokkerkory

Originally Posted by vsaintlo

Won't it be huge for Xbox in general? Unless I'm mistaken and the X has exclusive games.

Well yeah I guess that was implied. Big for Xbox One family.
nynt9

Originally Posted by ctw0e

Makes no sense at all actually.

Bluehole decides to release 1.0 tomorrow without changing anything noteworthy, and all of a sudden it's eligible for GOTY-voting?

I don't see how it matters. IGN won't vote for it, but so what. It's a popularity contest. Why should we be limited by arbitrary rules?

Yea it's really dumb and based on something incredibly arbitrary.
Aselith
(09-16-2017, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Yukinari

You know this is fucked up but one day ill just buy PUBG to sell the Twitch Crate and make double or triple the profit.

What happens if they do the crate again?
PeterGAF
(09-16-2017, 10:41 PM)

Originally Posted by nynt9

It's gonna be really weird when the game actually is finished though. Like is it up for GOTY again or do we disqualify it in its actual finished state?

It's all arbitrary and doesn't matter. But it's a weird thing with popular early access games.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(09-16-2017, 10:41 PM)
I'm strictly against buying Early Access games, but everyone and their mom is playing this. I want to join them :(
Atolm
(09-16-2017, 10:42 PM)
I purchased the game earlier this week. There's a lot to love in the game, but it's still too early in development to be awarded GOTYs left and right. It has a lot of technical issues and bugs.
BennyBlanco
Banned
So many prankster uncles
Riposte

Setting a line anywhere is arbitrary. The thing is once a line has been drawn, it should be stuck too. I'm thinking with the way Early Access games are usually treated (to their benefit) in the past (and currently) is what makes this tricky. For one, there are not many PUBG reviews floating around. And there is also the idea a game shouldn't be eligible indefinitely (every year until it releases).
hanspampel
Banned

Any chance to see of you claimed the twitch prime loot for PUBG?
I know you didn't need the game to claim, but to get the crate and sell it
Charcoal
(09-16-2017, 10:45 PM)
The power of Twitch streamers
nynt9
(09-16-2017, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Riposte

Setting a line anywhere is arbitrary. The thing is once a line has been drawn, it should be stuck too. I'm thinking with the way Early Access games are usually treated (to their benefit) in the past is what makes this tricky. For one, there are not many PUBG reviews floating around.

I mean, reviewing this game at this point will be very counter productive. It's already sold around 10m copies, and many journos already have many hours in it. It creates conditions that would upset the balance compared to other games they normally play in a rushed manner over a week to meet an embargo.

Also, just because a line has been drawn doesn't mean it can't be redrawn. We live in an evolving industry. Rainbow 6 siege today is an entirely different game from launch. So is Warframe. Even overwatch is quite different. Destiny 2 now has content in the game that wasn't out during launch when many reviews hit, and it's only been a week. Even single player games like FFXV or Prey change drastically after launch. There are early access games that launch with more content than some AAA games. Being a hardliner for rules made years ago when the industry was different doesn't make a lot of sense.
Agkel
(09-16-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by hanspampel

Any chance to see of you claimed the twitch prime loot for PUBG?
I know you didn't need the game to claim, but to get the crate and sell it

You're SOL at this point. Even if your twitch prime accnt is flagged to get the crate, there is no way to link your twitch inside PUBG and claim the crate.

Trust me, I checked every day for a whole month trying to link my account getting errors when clicking the link inside the game until they completely removed the ability to link.
Crossing Eden
Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
(09-16-2017, 10:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Charcoal

The power of Twitch streamers

Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(09-16-2017, 11:03 PM)
Press F for victory!
CHC
(09-16-2017, 11:06 PM)
Eh fuck it just bought this, let's see what all the fuss is lol
Riposte
(09-16-2017, 11:09 PM)

I mean, reviewing this game at this point will be very counter productive. It's already sold around 10m copies, and many journos already have many hours in it. It creates conditions that would upset the balance compared to other games they normally play in a rushed manner over a week to meet an embargo.

Also, just because a line has been drawn doesn't mean it can't be redrawn. We live in an evolving industry. Rainbow 6 siege today is an entirely different game from launch. So is Warframe. Even overwatch is quite different. Destiny 2 now has content in the game that wasn't out during launch when many reviews hit, and it's only been a week. Even single player games like FFXV or Prey change drastically after launch. There are early access games that launch with more content than some AAA games. Being a hardliner for rules made years ago when the industry was different doesn't make a lot of sense.

Perhaps I should not have said "the past". I'm talking about how Early Access games are treated today, the very same games that are contemporary to BG and may even release later. If BG can or should be reviewed as any other game is, why isn't every single Early Access game reviewed that way? Why don't these games get reviewed right from the moment they are playable, even if they say they are "demos" or "betas" (which is exactly what Early Access implies)? Is it because they are not "finished" enough? There's no objective measurement for that, so "arbitrary" lines in the sand ("official release" seeming the least arbitrary) have to be drawn at some point or you create a state where there is no consistency (easy to ask for that now when it's "your game" you want to win GOTY or w/e, but it's a recipe for a headache).

You mention doing follow-up reviews in the future, which is a good point in how standards can differ, but it's easy to illustrate why it is different. Even if they may seem like a good thing (I certainly appreciate it), reviewers are generally not obligated to give another review in the future. For whatever fallout there is for no going back to a game a year or five years down the line, it would be nothing compared to reviewing a game's beta and then treating it the same way as version 1.0, where the actual 1.0 is seen no different from the "Ultimate Edition with all DLC". If metacritic operated along these lines, they would be considered bullies.
Abilidebob
(09-16-2017, 11:28 PM)
People are getting kinda angry at some other places.

IgotElbows
(09-16-2017, 11:33 PM)

How do you get the crate exactly?
I was going to buy PUBG soon maybe.
Spartancarver
(09-16-2017, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

I almost want to buy the thing to see what's about and why is so popular.

When the game works well and all the systems come together, it truly is one of the most exhilarating and rewarding gaming experiences available right now. Like truly pulse-pounding, adrenaline-inducing joy to play and win.

But for every 1 round like that, you get 5+ in a row with some frustrating game-breaking bug or shitty netcode / hit detection / server de-sync issue that makes you want to break your mouse.

Basically the potential is all there but there is *a lot* of work left for the dev to still do, and lately their patches have been breaking as much as they fix.
Grotar
(09-16-2017, 11:34 PM)
Program PUBG has grown beyond control, soon it will spread through GAF as it spread through Steam and Twitch, we can not stop it.......
Iadien
Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
(09-16-2017, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Qassim

How the fuck has it gone from 1m -> 1.3m in such a short period of time?! This game is a monster.

Being played by the biggest Twitch Broadcasters on a daily basis doesn't hurt anything. Lirik, Shroud, Summit, Dr DisRespect, etc.
SHAFT MASTER
Banned
(09-16-2017, 11:38 PM)
Fingers crossed it comes out of early access this year. It'll make for some fun/interesting threads when goty starts up.
ATOMICJORGE
(09-16-2017, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by PantsuJo

A reasonable priced One S + PUGB bundle would be successful in USA, that's for sure.

Indeed the game is also talked a lot here on Mexico, everyone is talking about the xbox version on every gaming event I go
Ikuu
Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
(09-16-2017, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by IgotElbows

How do you get the crate exactly?
I was going to buy PUBG soon maybe.

It was a Twitch Prime item a few months back.
hanspampel
Banned

Originally Posted by Iadien

Being played by the biggest Twitch Broadcasters on a daily basis doesn't hurt anything. Lirik, Shroud, Summit, Dr DisRespect, etc.

honestly, they don't have anything to do with the growth from 1m to 1.3 million - literally
it's basically all just China:
thesonovabeach
I don't care for this game but it will make a great Noclip documentary.
Cramoss
(09-16-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by thesonovabeach

I don't care for this game but it will make a great Noclip documentary.

I didn't even think about it, you're right
CHC
(09-17-2017, 12:36 AM)
Just bought it now and basically refunded ASAP, totally not for me. It just feels absolutely horrible to play and I really just don't give a fuck about competing in online games anymore. When I kill someone or get killed it's just like.... no sensation at all.
GodofWine
(09-17-2017, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by CHC

Just bought it now and basically refunded ASAP, totally not for me. It just feels absolutely horrible to play and I really just don't give a fuck about competing in online games anymore. When I kill someone or get killed it's just like.... no sensation at all.

This is like someone who hates oysters trying then again and still hating them. But at least you tried them again, its good to verify past experiences with updated data.

I just reread what i typed and I'm confused too lol.

As far as GOTY, how cant it be, some media outlets will give it to them. It is fun to many, its a great twitch game. It really let's a streamer be a personality. It also presents a new shorty story every round.
Aters
(09-17-2017, 12:58 AM)

Originally Posted by hanspampel

honestly, they don't have anything to do with the growth from 1m to 1.3 million - literally
it's basically all just China:

Lots of LoL, Dota streamers in China are streaming PUBG now, absolutely crazy.
RevenWolf
(09-17-2017, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by CHC

Based on that yeah it's kinda amazing you tried it at all to be honest!

I think it's always important to remember that people have different tastes as to what gameplay people like and that we should be respectful.

I personally really love playing this game with freinds, but alone I find it a bit dull (I adore cooperation above most other things).

Still I feel the game is fantastic, and the developer releases a patch for it like once a week, which I can respect.
vocab
(09-17-2017, 01:05 AM)
The shooter market is in such a dire state right now that PUBG's success is no surprise.
nynt9
(09-17-2017, 01:08 AM)

Originally Posted by vocab

The shooter market is in such a dire state right now that PUBG's success is no surprise.

Yeah, with a massive success like Overwatch, a cult hit like R6S, the continued popularity of Arma and CSGO, the shooter market is definitely lacking. Oh and also Paladins is doing well too among other games.
Liliana Eileen
(09-17-2017, 01:09 AM)

Nice bait.
OrbitalBeard
(09-17-2017, 01:11 AM)

Please.
CHC
(09-17-2017, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by GodofWine

This is like someone who hates oysters trying then again and still hating them. But at least you tried them again, its good to verify past experiences with updated data.

Well like all of my friends are playing it and it's a big sensation so I kind of owe it to myself, I'm open minded and have been surprised by genres I swore off before.

But damn - the game is ugly and runs so badly too! There might be joy in it after many hours but I'd rather spend time and money on games I like immediately given that my time lately is pretty limited.

Originally Posted by RevenWolf

Based on that yeah it's kinda amazing you tried it at all to be honest!

I think it's always important to remember that people have different tastes as to what gameplay people like and that we should be respectful.

I've liked some competitive games, particularly Counter Strike in its several iterations. But that's a leaner, tighter experience and it feels great to play from the get-go. Lately I also enjoyed Battlefield 1 but that was more because of the setting and the visuals and how fast and easy the game was to get into.
Imp the Dimp
(09-17-2017, 01:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Crossing Eden

lmao
jim2point0
Banned
(09-17-2017, 01:40 AM)

Uh... if you didn't get it when it was available, then you can't get it now. I have Prime and PUBG but I can't get that crate.
dragonzdogma
(09-17-2017, 01:48 AM)
What does pugb stand for?
friskykillface
Banned
(09-17-2017, 01:53 AM)

Originally Posted by rokkerkory

Game is gonna be huge on the 1X

If the difference between x and regular Xbox one is huge I'll pick up a X this holiday season

I think it'll be huge
Yuge
Lots of people x kids don't have gaming PC's
tuna_love
(09-17-2017, 01:55 AM)

Originally Posted by dragonzdogma

What does pugb stand for?

its in the op, and its pubg