• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(11-20-2017, 09:32 PM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
Well played, Sony. Thanks to Skyrim VR and the $100 discount, I went out and bought the bundle at lunch. This is my third time purchasing Skyrim (360, PC, PSVR) and when it gets cheap the Switch version will likely be the fourth. But I'm a sucker for Elder Scrolls, and these are the games I've dreamed of playing in VR since the beginning. This will be my first "real" VR experience if you don't count cardboard. I've never even tried a demo for any of the major headsets. I can't wait to get home.

I kept my Best Buy receipt just in case, though.
VindicatorZ
Member
(11-20-2017, 09:55 PM)
VindicatorZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

Well played, Sony. Thanks to Skyrim VR and the $100 discount, I went out and bought the bundle at lunch. This is my third time purchasing Skyrim (360, PC, PSVR) and when it gets cheap the Switch version will likely be the fourth. But I'm a sucker for Elder Scrolls, and these are the games I've dreamed of playing in VR since the beginning. This will be my first "real" VR experience if you don't count cardboard. I've never even tried a demo for any of the major headsets. I can't wait to get home.

I kept my Best Buy receipt just in case, though.

Post your impressions! Hope you enjoy it.
RavageX
Member
(11-20-2017, 10:18 PM)
So has anyone played as a vampire or werewolf yet?
Wolfgunblood Garopa
Member
(11-20-2017, 10:22 PM)
Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar
Skyrim VR is a dream game. I can't wait to have time to dig into it, I especially envy everyone experiencing Skyrim for the first time with this.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(11-20-2017, 10:50 PM)
mckmas8808's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

Well played, Sony. Thanks to Skyrim VR and the $100 discount, I went out and bought the bundle at lunch. This is my third time purchasing Skyrim (360, PC, PSVR) and when it gets cheap the Switch version will likely be the fourth. But I'm a sucker for Elder Scrolls, and these are the games I've dreamed of playing in VR since the beginning. This will be my first "real" VR experience if you don't count cardboard. I've never even tried a demo for any of the major headsets. I can't wait to get home.

I kept my Best Buy receipt just in case, though.

Let us know how you feel man.
Allnamestakenlol
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:48 AM)
Allnamestakenlol's Avatar
How's framerate? Bethesda games always have trouble giving a smooth experience and that's super important in VR.
Anderson DL
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:14 AM)
Anderson DL's Avatar

Originally Posted by VindicatorZ

This is my first time playing Skyrim. Needless to say, in VR I am fucking blown away

This is my first time playing VR (my 4th time through Skyrim), and I am blown away.
MultiCore
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:16 AM)
MultiCore's Avatar

Originally Posted by Allnamestakenlol

How's framerate? Bethesda games always have trouble giving a smooth experience and that's super important in VR.

It's smooth. They cut visual detail to assure the framerate stays high.
CariusD
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Allnamestakenlol

How's framerate? Bethesda games always have trouble giving a smooth experience and that's super important in VR.

I have only done the intro but there was a little bit of stuttering.
Ancient Gray
Member
(11-21-2017, 05:56 AM)
Ancient Gray's Avatar
This game is amazing. I'm sorry I doubted it. I can't wait to share stories but I've already had so many amazing moments and this may be my game of the year.

One thing that annoys me is no smooth turning. It's only gradual and that instant option. :( I just want smooth turns.
Grinchy
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:28 AM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ancient Gray

This game is amazing. I'm sorry I doubted it. I can't wait to share stories but I've already had so many amazing moments and this may be my game of the year.

One thing that annoys me is no smooth turning. It's only gradual and that instant option. :( I just want smooth turns.

Yeah, that's annoying as hell. Luckily it's coming in the patch.

Another bug I'm finding is that my right hand keeps veering off to the side sometimes. It's not a tracking thing. I've turned the Move controllers off and switched which controllers are left and right hands, and within the next 30 minutes or so, the right hand started veering off again and it's the only thing not tracking correctly. I've read about other people having this problem after getting like 5+ hours into their save files.

It's annoying because I can shake my controller to make it point the correct direction again, but within 30 seconds it's pointing to the right again. Sometimes the problem doesn't crop up at all. It's very random.
Ancient Gray
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:41 AM)
Ancient Gray's Avatar
Ok two brief stories.

Saw a hawk up in the sky on my way to Bleak Falls Barrow and thought I'd pull the bow out and test myself. I lost sight of it and jumped on a nearby boulder, perfectly setting myself up as it soared by. I pulled back the arrow and took a moment to adjust my aim and fired it up at the moon. It sunk into the bird's breast and fell to the ground. Never had a shot with an arrow felt more satisfying than that.

And then on a funnier note. I get to the first little town and visit the smith and his daughter. The character I'm playing isn't a very good person, and the daughter Dorthe was really giving me the stink eye. Maybe she hates Dark Elves who knows. She didn't seem like the kinda girl that got out much. Well she kept staring at me as I'm talking to her dad and I keep looking over and she's just eyeballing me so I just impulsively raised my arm to shoo her away, completely disregarding the shield I had on my arm. It bashes her right in the face and Dorthe's dad comes at me full of white hot rage hotter than the forge. So now I have to kill this girl's father, and that dweeby elf across the river, and it's just a bloodbath. Afterward I just steal what I can and go across the street to put baskets on Lucan's head at the Riverwood Trader.
AbandonedTrolley
Member
(11-21-2017, 08:03 AM)
AbandonedTrolley's Avatar
Played for an hour or so last night, just collected the Dragonstone. It's pretty clear the graphics took a big hit, but it's still the best version I've played, the immersion is second to none.
ShaunButter
Member
(11-21-2017, 08:33 AM)
Is this the bundle everyone is talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077CRXS...GPCONPAPC&th=1

Also isn't that the old version of the headset? I thought it was supposed to have built in earphones now?
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(11-21-2017, 08:44 AM)

Originally Posted by AbandonedTrolley

Played for an hour or so last night, just collected the Dragonstone. It's pretty clear the graphics took a big hit, but it's still the best version I've played, the immersion is second to none.

A big hit compared to the PS4 version or the PS3 one? Hoping in a nice Pro patch still...
AbandonedTrolley
Member
(11-21-2017, 09:35 AM)
AbandonedTrolley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Panajev2001a

A big hit compared to the PS4 version or the PS3 one? Hoping in a nice Pro patch still...

Seems the Pro patch was supersampling. Oh it's a massive hit compared to PS4 version, but it's favorable to the PS3 certainly seemed softer when playing on the Pro (unsure of resolution), played for an hour or so last night (just collecting the Dragonstone) Outside with big areas the draw distance hits you, inside caves and towns it's pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOTsM3ysZYE
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(11-21-2017, 10:11 AM)

Originally Posted by AbandonedTrolley

Seems the Pro patch was supersampling. Oh it's a massive hit compared to PS4 version, but it's favorable to the PS3 certainly seemed softer when playing on the Pro (unsure of resolution), played for an hour or so last night (just collecting the Dragonstone) Outside with big areas the draw distance hits you, inside caves and towns it's pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOTsM3ysZYE

Kind of expected the Pro patch to bring some good LOD / foliage draw distance improvements as the HW does have VR specific optimisations and it is a lot lot faster than the base PS3 version. Can you spend a few more words comparing it to the PS3 version, some shots from the TV mode would be able to show off LOD/vegetation differences albeit it would misrepresent perceived IQ in VR mode.

Still, this is what I kind of feared with iterative consoles, developers are willing to brute force improvements if given enough processing power and RAM (see Scorpio), but most of the HW remains under-utilised or used only for lowest hanging fruits otherwise.

I would expect IQ not being as good as the PS4 non VR version, light shafts and other SE versions to be missing, but at least on Pro I would expect something miles ahead than PS3 and Switch in VR mode. It would be awesome (paging Dark1x too ;)) to have a PS4 Pro VR Skyrim vs Switch vs PS3 though.
daniell
Banned
(11-21-2017, 02:01 PM)
7 hours in on legendary looking down from bleak falls to riverwood gave me genuine vertigo, also the scale of frost spiders in vr is nightmare material.
Best vr experience so far was obviously the scale of ..everything especially dungeons and caves.
First time snow in vr and enemiy archers shooting at you also is something else.
The game is kinda everything i wanted... to the point i will buy it for pc again next year.
DanEON
Junior Member
(11-21-2017, 02:13 PM)
DanEON's Avatar
So is it confirmed to come to PC next year?? Rift or Vive??
gmoran
Member
(11-21-2017, 02:21 PM)
gmoran's Avatar

Originally Posted by daniell

also the scale of frost spiders in vr is nightmare material.

The little ones (dog sized) no probs (Farpoint has helped with my arachnophobia) but the big ones are really difficult for me to fight; basically I squint and button mash or if I'm using Moves just use Flame and waggle my weapon around. Its really unpleasant.
down 2 orth
Member
(11-21-2017, 02:27 PM)
down 2 orth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ancient Gray

Ok two brief stories.

Saw a hawk up in the sky on my way to Bleak Falls Barrow and thought I'd pull the bow out and test myself. I lost sight of it and jumped on a nearby boulder, perfectly setting myself up as it soared by. I pulled back the arrow and took a moment to adjust my aim and fired it up at the moon. It sunk into the bird's breast and fell to the ground. Never had a shot with an arrow felt more satisfying than that.

And then on a funnier note. I get to the first little town and visit the smith and his daughter. The character I'm playing isn't a very good person, and the daughter Dorthe was really giving me the stink eye. Maybe she hates Dark Elves who knows. She didn't seem like the kinda girl that got out much. Well she kept staring at me as I'm talking to her dad and I keep looking over and she's just eyeballing me so I just impulsively raised my arm to shoo her away, completely disregarding the shield I had on my arm. It bashes her right in the face and Dorthe's dad comes at me full of white hot rage hotter than the forge. So now I have to kill this girl's father, and that dweeby elf across the river, and it's just a bloodbath. Afterward I just steal what I can and go across the street to put baskets on Lucan's head at the Riverwood Trader.

I'm not going to lie: I'm feeling some VR envy right now.
Croatoan
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:20 PM)
Croatoan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ancient Gray

This game is amazing. I'm sorry I doubted it. I can't wait to share stories but I've already had so many amazing moments and this may be my game of the year.

One thing that annoys me is no smooth turning. It's only gradual and that instant option. :( I just want smooth turns.

HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. There is no "Turning", you just turn your body ;).

What you really want is roomscale, hopefully sony will add it in for the next gen headset.
AbandonedTrolley
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:26 PM)
AbandonedTrolley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Croatoan

HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. There is no "Turning", you just turn your body ;).

What you really want is roomscale, hopefully sony will add it in for the next gen headset.

Until headsets go fully wireless I don't want to be turning around in a circle and get wrapped up in wires.
MDSLKTR
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:26 PM)
MDSLKTR's Avatar
So this and re7 are the ultimate vr killer apps. Somebody page valve so they stop working on mini games compilations
MultiCore
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:35 PM)
MultiCore's Avatar

Originally Posted by MDSLKTR

So this and re7 are the ultimate vr killer apps. Somebody page valve so they stop working on mini games compilations

People have just been so convinced you couldn't port flat games to VR well, or that people wouldn't be interested in rehashing them.

Clearly, these assumptions are wrong.

I hope there's a future where every game has a VR mode included.(And not like the GT Sport mode ((shudder)) or Tekken 7)

You know what Skyrim needs?
Co-op.

Or straight up multiplayer.

Imagine Skyrim server with 100 people connected.
PvP if you want it...
CyberChulo
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:38 PM)
CyberChulo's Avatar
Just hit this ice cave. Inside were Ewok sounding little goblins that throw spears and shoot arrows at you. We were high up on pillars and makeshift drawbridges. I felt just like Aragorn and Legolas in the FOTR mountain portion where Gandalf fights the Balrog making their escape. I was physically dodging some of their arrows just like Aragorn and shooting back at them feeling like Legolas. AMAZING!
N1tr0sOx1d3
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:38 PM)

Originally Posted by MDSLKTR

So this and re7 are the ultimate vr killer apps. Somebody page valve so they stop working on mini games compilations

Maybe Valve are working on Half-Life 3 VR!?!?!?
Ancient Gray
Member
(11-21-2017, 03:44 PM)
Ancient Gray's Avatar

Originally Posted by Croatoan

HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. There is no "Turning", you just turn your body ;).

What you really want is roomscale, hopefully sony will add it in for the next gen headset.

I don't trust myself enough to stand and turn in VR lol.
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-21-2017, 04:03 PM)
Greatest Ever's Avatar

Originally Posted by AbandonedTrolley

Until headsets go fully wireless I don't want to be turning around in a circle and get wrapped up in wires.

You'll live.
Aztorian
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:08 PM)
Aztorian's Avatar

Originally Posted by MultiCore

People have just been so convinced you couldn't port flat games to VR well, or that people wouldn't be interested in rehashing them.

Clearly, these assumptions are wrong.

I hope there's a future where every game has a VR mode included.(And not like the GT Sport mode ((shudder)) or Tekken 7)

You know what Skyrim needs?
Co-op.

Or straight up multiplayer.

Imagine Skyrim server with 100 people connected.
PvP if you want it...

We already have that, called TESO.
MultiCore
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:15 PM)
MultiCore's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztorian

We already have that, called TESO.

Not in VR.

And I'd rather have something designed as a single player game, than an MMO per se.
Bolivar687
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:23 PM)
Bolivar687's Avatar

Originally Posted by down 2 orth

I'm not going to lie: I'm feeling some VR envy right now.

This is insane. It sounds like everything we dreamed it could be years ago, when the growing pains of VR made it seem like ganes like Skyrim just wouldnt work. This is pushing VR headsets to must-buy no brainer territory.
Darko
What the hell are you talking about?
Who are you talking to???
(11-21-2017, 04:31 PM)
Darko's Avatar
Mutiplayer pvp with 1:1 swordplay , im drooling

Better yet make that star wars and lightsabers. Do it.
GribbleGrunger
Junior Member
(11-21-2017, 04:36 PM)
GribbleGrunger's Avatar
I think Farcry Primal would be the next perfect candidate.
Croatoan
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:40 PM)
Croatoan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ancient Gray

I don't trust myself enough to stand and turn in VR lol.

There are "virtual walls" that show up if you get too close to the edge of your space. No need to worry.

I am going to play the shit out of Fallout 4 on the HTC Vive when it releases.

Originally Posted by AbandonedTrolley

Until headsets go fully wireless I don't want to be turning around in a circle and get wrapped up in wires.

While I dislike the wire as well, you do get used to it and remain cognoscente of its position so you don't get tangled. Doesn't hurt the gameplay at all.
N1tr0sOx1d3
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:43 PM)
Could anyone confirm if the framerate is smooth on the original PS4. I'm hearing reports that the FR is smoother on the Pro. I'm hoping the framerate is smooth on PS4 as that could make me feel nauseous if its jerky / stuttery.

Thx in advance.
Grinchy
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:57 PM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by N1tr0sOx1d3

Could anyone confirm if the framerate is smooth on the original PS4. I'm hearing reports that the FR is smoother on the Pro. I'm hoping the framerate is smooth on PS4 as that could make me feel nauseous if its jerky / stuttery.

Thx in advance.

There are no framerate drops on the original PS4. Whoever told you that is crazy. You can't even get a PSVR game certified by Sony if it drops below 60fps.
N1tr0sOx1d3
Member
(11-21-2017, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Grinchy

There are no framerate drops on the original PS4. Whoever told you that is crazy. You can't even get a PSVR game certified by Sony if it drops below 60fps.

Perfect. Thank you. FYI it was a review on YT. Can't remember specifically which one but there aren't that many anyways.
Belker
Member
(11-21-2017, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by ShaunButter

Is this the bundle everyone is talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077CRXS...GPCONPAPC&th=1

Also isn't that the old version of the headset? I thought it was supposed to have built in earphones now?

An Amazon UK rep told me that bundle should have the new headset; if it didn't, I could return it. I've ordered the bundle even though it was out of stock. If it's not the right headset, I'll return it.
ShaunButter
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Belker

An Amazon UK rep told me that bundle should have the new headset; if it didn't, I could return it. I've ordered the bundle even though it was out of stock. If it's not the right headset, I'll return it.

Thanks for the info, I'll be keeping my eye on it and may pull the trigger for Xmas.
Leviticus
Junior Member
(11-21-2017, 06:21 PM)
Leviticus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Belker

An Amazon UK rep told me that bundle should have the new headset; if it didn't, I could return it. I've ordered the bundle even though it was out of stock. If it's not the right headset, I'll return it.

It is the old version of the headset. Only the official Doom and Skyrim bundles have the new headset. The Skyrim bundle amazon UK sells is a "makeshift" bundle.
Ancient Gray
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:38 PM)
Ancient Gray's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyberChulo

Just hit this ice cave. Inside were Ewok sounding little goblins that throw spears and shoot arrows at you. We were high up on pillars and makeshift drawbridges. I felt just like Aragorn and Legolas in the FOTR mountain portion where Gandalf fights the Balrog making their escape. I was physically dodging some of their arrows just like Aragorn and shooting back at them feeling like Legolas. AMAZING!

Wait can you tilt your head to dodge arrows!?
Belker
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Leviticus

It is the old version of the headset. Only the official Doom and Skyrim bundles have the new headset. The Skyrim bundle amazon UK sells is a "makeshift" bundle.

OK. We'll have to see what happens. I gave him Sony's own product code to check and he confirmed it was the new model, twice.

Even if it's not the right headset, at least I can ask Amazon if they will supply the new model at the same price.
RavageX
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Ancient Gray

Wait can you tilt your head to dodge arrows!?

You can move your whole body while you are fighting, while you are aiming with arrows even.
Tumle
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by RavageX

You can move your whole body while you are fighting, while you are aiming with arrows even.

Yea you can go down on all fours as long as the camera can still track the headset and moves 😊
Dr. Zoidberg
Member
(11-21-2017, 08:37 PM)
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
I installed the PSVR last night and then Skyrim VR. My PS4 Pro is in a different room than the TV because of how loud it is. The cable for the camera isn't that long (and it's proprietary) so I'll just keep the PSVR setup in the other room since I'll be wearing earphones while playing it. This also means that my wife can watch the big TV while I go to Skyrim in the next room. Setup wasn't too bad. I've got two sets of impressions. The first is Skyrim VR and the second is of PSVR while playing the game.

Skyrim VR is a pretty fantastic experience. Despite any visual issues, the feeling of being there is cool and it works pretty well. Being able to lean down and get really close looks at simple things like lamps or chickens is great, as is the feeling of scale and height which you just don't get with the standard game. Leaning in between the bars on the cages to get a good look inside, or leaning down to look under tables and things is pretty awesome. This is the type of VR experience I've been waiting for before investing in the technology. Combat is greatly improved as well. I'm just using the DS4 for now since the move controllers weren't charged up out of the box. I switched it to smooth control and turned off the FOV vignetting immediately. No nausea whatsoever, though that's never been a problem for me so I didn't expect to have it. I did notice a little stuttering on rare occasion but I chalked this up to tracking issues, though it could certainly be engine jank. Not a big deal though. My biggest complaint with the game is really hardware issues, and that brings me to:

PSVR + PS4 Pro is mixed bag. I don't have any experience with Oculus or Vive so I don't know how they compare, and many of these issues may just be the way it is now. First off, the comfort, tracking, and FOV of the PSVR is superior to the Viewmaster Cardboard viewer I had used before. The screen door effect is there but very subtle. It did not distract me at all. I was very comfortable the whole time and played for about 3 hours straight. Also, I can confirm that the HDR passthrough works as intended. Now the complaints:

- Getting the image to look sharp/clear in both eyes is a real problem for me. I have to fiddle with the headset quite a bit and even then it's almost impossible for one eye or the other to not be slightly blurry. Maybe it's just my big noggin. Kinda surprised there aren't any adjustments for focus or eye distance. Virtual Boy had these.

- Despite my best efforts, I'm somehow getting facial oil on the lenses during use. I guess from my caveman-like brow. Have to wipe them off a lot and this is going to lead to accidental scratching one day or another.

- Once adjusted, the central 50% of the screen is clear, but as you get farther than that toward the edges the blurring and chromatic aberration become quite severe.

- I'm shocked at how poorly the headset handles black/dark areas. OLEDs are known for "Inky Blacks" but on the PSVR it's more of a dark gray with a pattern of slightly greenish OLED mura dots or lines.

- I expected compromised visuals in Skyrim VR such as simpler polygonal models or lower textures. I had watched the youtube videos. What I didn't expect inside the PSVR is how utterly soft the image is, like it's got some kind of super-aggressive fullscreen AA solution, or it's running at a resolution below that of the PSVR and being scaled up and blurred? I know things CAN look sharp in the headset because I played some non-VR games on the virtual screen and they looked fine, albeit downscaled, but at least they did not look look soft. Do all PSVR games have that soft look to them or is this more of a Skyrim problem? If the PS4 Pro looks like this I would hate to see the regular PS4 version.
CyberChulo
Member
(11-21-2017, 09:38 PM)
CyberChulo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ancient Gray

Wait can you tilt your head to dodge arrows!?

As long as the arrow was aiming for your head, yes. But I also moved my entire body out of the way.
Ubername
Member
(11-21-2017, 09:50 PM)
Ubername's Avatar
Holy shit, played this at best buy for 20 minutes and it was frackin mind blowing.
Tumle
Member
(11-21-2017, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg

I installed the PSVR last night and then Skyrim VR. My PS4 Pro is in a different room than the TV because of how loud it is. The cable for the camera isn't that long (and it's proprietary) so I'll just keep the PSVR setup in the other room since I'll be wearing earphones while playing it. This also means that my wife can watch the big TV while I go to Skyrim in the next room. Setup wasn't too bad. I've got two sets of impressions. The first is Skyrim VR and the second is of PSVR while playing the game.

Skyrim VR is a pretty fantastic experience. Despite any visual issues, the feeling of being there is cool and it works pretty well. Being able to lean down and get really close looks at simple things like lamps or chickens is great, as is the feeling of scale and height which you just don't get with the standard game. Leaning in between the bars on the cages to get a good look inside, or leaning down to look under tables and things is pretty awesome. This is the type of VR experience I've been waiting for before investing in the technology. Combat is greatly improved as well. I'm just using the DS4 for now since the move controllers weren't charged up out of the box. I switched it to smooth control and turned off the FOV vignetting immediately. No nausea whatsoever, though that's never been a problem for me so I didn't expect to have it. I did notice a little stuttering on rare occasion but I chalked this up to tracking issues, though it could certainly be engine jank. Not a big deal though. My biggest complaint with the game is really hardware issues, and that brings me to:

PSVR + PS4 Pro is mixed bag. I don't have any experience with Oculus or Vive so I don't know how they compare, and many of these issues may just be the way it is now. First off, the comfort, tracking, and FOV of the PSVR is superior to the Viewmaster Cardboard viewer I had used before. The screen door effect is there but very subtle. It did not distract me at all. I was very comfortable the whole time and played for about 3 hours straight. Also, I can confirm that the HDR passthrough works as intended. Now the complaints:

- Getting the image to look sharp/clear in both eyes is a real problem for me. I have to fiddle with the headset quite a bit and even then it's almost impossible for one eye or the other to not be slightly blurry. Maybe it's just my big noggin. Kinda surprised there aren't any adjustments for focus or eye distance. Virtual Boy had these.

- Despite my best efforts, I'm somehow getting facial oil on the lenses during use. I guess from my caveman-like brow. Have to wipe them off a lot and this is going to lead to accidental scratching one day or another.

- Once adjusted, the central 50% of the screen is clear, but as you get farther than that toward the edges the blurring and chromatic aberration become quite severe.

- I'm shocked at how poorly the headset handles black/dark areas. OLEDs are known for "Inky Blacks" but on the PSVR it's more of a dark gray with a pattern of slightly greenish OLED mura dots or lines.

- I expected compromised visuals in Skyrim VR such as simpler polygonal models or lower textures. I had watched the youtube videos. What I didn't expect inside the PSVR is how utterly soft the image is, like it's got some kind of super-aggressive fullscreen AA solution, or it's running at a resolution below that of the PSVR and being scaled up and blurred? I know things CAN look sharp in the headset because I played some non-VR games on the virtual screen and they looked fine, albeit downscaled, but at least they did not look look soft. Do all PSVR games have that soft look to them or is this more of a Skyrim problem? If the PS4 Pro looks like this I would hate to see the regular PS4 version.

Nice review😊
There is a setting inside the Vr settings that should help with eye distance.. though I have no idea if it works since I have no problem with the original settings😊
About the oled contrast.. maybe adjusting the backlight settings in the menus will help with that.. but I noticed the same though if you have tried rush of blood the loading scene with the little doll head the sorundings are pitch black.. so I donít know if itís an engine problem where the game engines black levels are not really fully black..
Also the looking to the sight issue with things getting blurry is present in all the headsets.. I also have a Vive, and there is an even bigger problem with halo effects in dark areas with minimum light sources caused by the lence type they chose to use, plus more noticeable screen door effect even though the resolution is much higher..
RoboFu
Junior Member
(11-21-2017, 10:24 PM)
This so awesome I will probably buy it again on pc. Skyrim is infinite..... l

Thread Tools