• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Soapbox Killer
Grand Nagus
(11-21-2017, 02:37 PM)
Soapbox Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by llien

Is it fair to assume if I enjoyed BvS I'd enjoy this movie too?

Yes. Its a solid movie
Solid SOAP
Member
(11-21-2017, 05:54 PM)
Solid SOAP's Avatar

Originally Posted by llien

Is it fair to assume if I enjoyed BvS I'd enjoy this movie too?

Not really, they're both very different movies, especially if you like the Ultimate Cut of BvS. Justice League is campy and... "fun," meanwhile BvS is a really dark take on the characters. Honestly they seem like completely different characters in these movies.
dragonyeuw
Member
(11-21-2017, 06:39 PM)
dragonyeuw's Avatar

Originally Posted by llien

Is it fair to assume if I enjoyed BvS I'd enjoy this movie too?

Tonally they're different films, so hard to say without knowing what you liked about BvS.
autumnleaf
Member
(11-21-2017, 07:34 PM)
autumnleaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by llien

Is it fair to assume if I enjoyed BvS I'd enjoy this movie too?

Batman basically spends the film apologising for his behaviour in BvS and is like a completely different character. It is also much more lighthearted and actually competently edited so you might not like it.
longdi
Member
(11-21-2017, 07:39 PM)
longdi's Avatar

Originally Posted by dragonyeuw

Tonally they're different films, so hard to say without knowing what you liked about BvS.

This felt more like avengers lite.
Supes OPness, i wonder if WB studio mandated it to overcompensate the past 2 films, or Joss unleashing his vision of superman. Felt to me everytime Supes was on screen, it was fully Joss work, so tonally different from synder.

The final fight seems obvious to tell audience that superman can do what the rest of JL members can
dragonyeuw
Member
(11-21-2017, 07:53 PM)
dragonyeuw's Avatar

Originally Posted by longdi

This felt more like avengers lite.
Supes OPness, i wonder if WB studio mandated it to overcompensate the past 2 films, or Joss unleashing his vision of superman. Felt to me everytime Supes was on screen, it was fully Joss work, so tonally different from synder.

Yeah, Supes' portrayal in JL definitely feels like what a Superman movie would be like with Whedon at the helm.
aaronsan
Banned
(11-21-2017, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Andyliini

I watched yesterday, I thought it was fun. It was clearly cut short, though, as the trailers had scenes that were not in the final film. I'm pretty sure there will be extended edition released down the line. Out of all the DCEU films, I would place it at 3rd place, after Wonder Woman and Man of Steel. The my favorite scene was the resurrection of Superman, I hope to see more of Cavill's character in later films, altough it does not look like he will get another solo outing anytime soon.

Anyway, If you are debating, I say go watch it. It was great fun.

As your ranking of the latest DC movies I've seen are in line with mine, as is your interest in Cavil's Superman, I'd like to ask you to talk to me in numbers, please. It is my language.

Pin Wonder Woman at 100, just for a marker with a lot of range for movies below it. Where would you put Cavil's Man of Steel, and then where this Justice League movie? How far below are we talking, here?

My scale for WW and MoS would be 100 to 80, if that serves any purpose here.

Thanks!
snausagesUK
Member
(11-22-2017, 12:09 AM)
Ooof, what a nightmare this was.

Never saw something so loud and noisy and busy and just generally rushed and chaotic-feeling.

Hated it.
Kal_El
Member
(11-22-2017, 12:35 AM)
Kal_El's Avatar
Just left from seeing it today and I enjoyed it; I only have a few issues but it's mainly from comic nerdom.

Batman is supposed to be the worlds greatest detective and what I like about him the most is that he knows his enemies as well as his allies strengths and weaknesses. He had video on Aquaman, Flash & Cyborg in BvS. He should've known ALL about them and also should've had a part where he exposes their weakness.

Steppenwolf....they mentioned he was exiled but was "awakened" or "released" when Superman died but why? Also he was able to Just teleport right to 2 places that know one is supposed to know about Amazons & Atlantis vaults but couldn't find the one on earth

Flash: We don't know his power level or how long he's been the flash. There's a part where Batman tells him to go East to save some people and Superman says there's not enough time?? The Fuck? He's the FLASH. That should've been his moment to show how he can save every person in nano seconds or whatever

Aquaman: I liked the look of him with his armor and pitchfork. Underwater scenes were also pretty cool but I couldn't tell how powerful he was. He maybe got 2 hits on Steppenwolf the entire fight. Show us why he's a hero

It was an enjoyable movie overall but I think it would've benefited from each character having their origin story before the team up.
Andyliini
Member
(11-22-2017, 07:18 AM)
Andyliini's Avatar

Originally Posted by aaronsan

As your ranking of the latest DC movies I've seen are in line with mine, as is your interest in Cavil's Superman, I'd like to ask you to talk to me in numbers, please. It is my language.

Pin Wonder Woman at 100, just for a marker with a lot of range for movies below it. Where would you put Cavil's Man of Steel, and then where this Justice League movie? How far below are we talking, here?

My scale for WW and MoS would be 100 to 80, if that serves any purpose here.

Thanks!

Ok then, let' see...

If Wonder Woman would be at 100, I would point Man of Steel at 90. On that Metric, Justice League I would point 80. BvS is at 60 while Suicide Squad is 50. I have enjoyed all of them so far, but that would be my scale of these films.

I personally feel like there will be an Extended Cut coming out when this films releases on Blu-Ray next year (March, perhaps?). That version will include cut scenes, but also a lot of scenes from the reshoots. And later down the line, might take years, they will release a 'Zack Snyder Cut' of the film, in lieu of Superman II. Tales from my ass, of course.

Now, to wait for the first teaser for Aquaman...
aaronsan
Banned
(11-22-2017, 05:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Andyliini

Ok then, let' see...

If Wonder Woman would be at 100, I would point Man of Steel at 90. On that Metric, Justice League I would point 80. BvS is at 60 while Suicide Squad is 50. I have enjoyed all of them so far, but that would be my scale of these films.

I personally feel like there will be an Extended Cut coming out when this films releases on Blu-Ray next year (March, perhaps?). That version will include cut scenes, but also a lot of scenes from the reshoots. And later down the line, might take years, they will release a 'Zack Snyder Cut' of the film, in lieu of Superman II. Tales from my ass, of course.

Now, to wait for the first teaser for Aquaman...

All right...thanks. You seem to be more generous than I on these films, but still seems like I'd enjoy Justice League. Barely XD

Looks cool enough, think I'll watch it this weekend.
generaldane
Member
(11-23-2017, 01:00 AM)
Saw it yesterday it was ok, got about roughly the same amount of entertaining as I did from Wonder Woman and Spiderman Homecoming which are the other two superhero movies I saw this year, Like those movies the Villain was garbage, I'm not sure why none of the companies seem capable of making a convincing villian anymore. Fuck Bane from TDKR is better than all the Marvel and DC villains combined and he was pretty weak in the grand scheme of things.
Sub Boss
Member
(11-23-2017, 04:28 AM)
Sub Boss's Avatar
Solid 5.5 /10 because it doesn't even aspire to be anything more than a Justice League cartoon episode (and maybe not even one of the best) on the big screen, the characters weren't as bad as i expected Wonder Woman makes a few hilarious faces except for Stephenwolf and Batman he feels like a rich douchebag cosplaying as Batman instead of Batman if that makes sense.
Kid Ying
Member
(11-23-2017, 05:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Bolivar687

I actually like the more serious tone of the Snyder films, so I was expecting to be disappointed with the lighter tone and Whedon influence but I liked it. A lot of moments probably should have hit harder than they did and I expect they would have if Snyder got to finish it.

Yep. I'm one of the few that liked BvS and i certainly got a bit disappointed with the change of tone of this one, but it works. I think the main cast helped it a bit, since most of it was new. Batman sounds like a complete different character in this one compared to BvS and so is Superman. The change of heart in superman was a welcome one. Batman though...
wondermega
Junior Member
(11-23-2017, 07:51 PM)
wondermega's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sub Boss

Solid 5.5 /10 because it doesn't even aspire to be anything more than a Justice League cartoon episode (and maybe not even one of the best) on the big screen, the characters weren't as bad as i expected Wonder Woman makes a few hilarious faces except for Stephenwolf and Batman he feels like a rich douchebag cosplaying as Batman instead of Batman if that makes sense.

This post is entertaining for several reasons, overall I think you hit the nail on the head about the Affleck Batman. He is totally a rich guy cosplaying as Batman! Unlike most folks I really don't dig him in this role, but now you've given me a better perspective for it.
Movie was ok, I had fairly low expectations so given that, I was able to enjoy it for what it was. There were some funny bits and the Zombie Superman stuff was actually surprising. I feel as though a lot of the action scenes were pretty muddled, I was hoping for some more grandiose comic book ass kicking scenes! But I guess they were purposefully trying to avoid ripping off the Avengers completely, so that's how it goes. I do have interest in seeing where they go next.
dragonyeuw
Member
(11-23-2017, 09:58 PM)
dragonyeuw's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sub Boss

Solid 5.5 /10 because it doesn't even aspire to be anything more than a Justice League cartoon episode (and maybe not even one of the best) on the big screen, the characters weren't as bad as i expected Wonder Woman makes a few hilarious faces except for Stephenwolf and Batman he feels like a rich douchebag cosplaying as Batman instead of Batman if that makes sense.

IMO he didn't feel that way in BvS but I think that's a fair observation in Justice league.
WaterAstro
Member
(11-24-2017, 08:40 AM)
WaterAstro's Avatar
Batman was a literal emo the whole movie, always wanting to die.
Batjag
Member
(11-25-2017, 08:57 PM)

Originally Posted by WaterAstro

Batman was a literal emo the whole movie, always wanting to die.

Yeah, I think it's obvious that Snyder was going to lean into the idea that Bruce wanted a "good death" to atone for what he'd done.
crisdecuba
Member
(11-25-2017, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by generaldane

Saw it yesterday it was ok, got about roughly the same amount of entertaining as I did from Wonder Woman and Spiderman Homecoming which are the other two superhero movies I saw this year, Like those movies the Villain was garbage, I'm not sure why none of the companies seem capable of making a convincing villian anymore. Fuck Bane from TDKR is better than all the Marvel and DC villains combined and he was pretty weak in the grand scheme of things.

Why was the Vulture garbage?
Laserdisk
Member
(11-25-2017, 11:43 PM)
Really entertaining silly flawed broken fun.
generaldane
Member
(11-26-2017, 12:49 AM)

Originally Posted by crisdecuba

Why was the Vulture garbage?

Boring, forgettable, no presence, shit motivation, just your run o the mill marvel villain. Then again as I mentioned above the last comic book movie villain that felt convincing was Bane and even he was lesser than Heath ledger before him.
chaos789
Member
(11-26-2017, 03:12 AM)
chaos789's Avatar

Originally Posted by generaldane

Boring, forgettable, no presence, shit motivation, just your run o the mill marvel villain. Then again as I mentioned above the last comic book movie villain that felt convincing was Bane and even he was lesser than Heath ledger before him.

Micheal Keaton was scarier and more intimidating without the costume.
WaterAstro
Member
(11-26-2017, 03:21 AM)
WaterAstro's Avatar

Originally Posted by chaos789

Micheal Keaton was scarier and more intimidating without the costume.

Michael Keaton to replace Ben Fatfleck as Batman. The original returns.
Ubername
Member
(11-26-2017, 03:30 AM)
Ubername's Avatar

Originally Posted by WaterAstro

Michael Keaton to replace Ben Fatfleck as Batman. The original returns.

Ben Fatflack in: The Autist
EverydayBeast
Member
(11-26-2017, 03:48 AM)
EverydayBeast's Avatar

Originally Posted by generaldane

Saw it yesterday it was ok, got about roughly the same amount of entertaining as I did from Wonder Woman and Spiderman Homecoming which are the other two superhero movies I saw this year, Like those movies the Villain was garbage, I'm not sure why none of the companies seem capable of making a convincing villian anymore. Fuck Bane from TDKR is better than all the Marvel and DC villains combined and he was pretty weak in the grand scheme of things.

Hes going to be awesome in Venom.
generaldane
Member
(11-26-2017, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by chaos789

Micheal Keaton was scarier and more intimidating without the costume.

This I can agree with,that scene with him and Peter in the car was pretty good
crisdecuba
Member
(11-26-2017, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by generaldane

Boring, forgettable, no presence, shit motivation, just your run o the mill marvel villain. Then again as I mentioned above the last comic book movie villain that felt convincing was Bane and even he was lesser than Heath ledger before him.

The motivation is *at least* a step above the cliche "I want to rule everything" motivation of Steppenwolf.
The design is *at least* a step above the actual run of the mill marvel villain, which is the "dark" or "evil" version of the protagonist (see Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Dr Strange, etc.)
His presence is *at least* a step above the lowest tier, like Steppenwolf (see the car scene with Peter that you liked).
Laserdisk
Member
(11-26-2017, 11:25 AM)

Originally Posted by generaldane

This I can agree with,that scene with him and Peter in the car was pretty good

It was way better than pretty good!
DKPOWPOW
Member
(11-26-2017, 04:30 PM)
DKPOWPOW's Avatar
Saw it last week, day after I saw Thor.

Perhaps that was a mistake because Thor was so damn good, this was just kinda eh. Wasn't bad, but I liked BvS way more. I enjoyed the darkness, and build-up of that movie. Luther was a much better villain than Steppenwolf.

JL is like a mish-mash of everything. It doesn't do anything particularly well, though I liked Flash. The fight with Superman was a nice touch, I wish it had gone on longer.

For this year I'd say Guardians 2=Ragnarok>>>>>>Wonder Woman > Homecoming = Justice League
Batjag
Member
(11-27-2017, 06:45 PM)
Yeah, I think the highs and lows of JL both come from how much of a direct continuation of both MOS and BVS it is.

Some people are bothered by the quick pacing, but it worked for me, since it's really the finale of the trilogy.

In the future, I hope the DC movies stick to being more standalone, like Wonder Woman, so that the team up movies don't have to waste time tying up loose ends.
Lokimaru
Member
(11-29-2017, 09:46 AM)
Lokimaru's Avatar
If I could describe Justice League in one word it would be Neutered. There was nothing stopping Snyder's vision from getting to this point while still maintaining it's Edge if you will. The problem with fans now is that they want things fully formed out of the packaging with not buildup or reasoning behind them. They want the end product not the hours of blood sweat and tears it took took to get to that end product.

People judged Superman based on him having a few off days cause someone was fucking with him rather then just looking at his actions. This Superman actually gave a shit, hell even when not wearing the Cape he's still trying to fight for the people. I kind of got the feeling Perry was extra hard on Clark cause he was technically dating the "bosses daughter". How many people picked up on that little nuance? Not many I'd wager but the ones who did got a little bit more out of the movie. Stuff like that is just gone in Justice league.

Also where were the real world people? MoS and BvS was a world where you could see John Oliver or Cobert do a bit about Superman on late night TV, Justice League not so much. All the reporters and News anchors were played by Actors now.

Hell where was the Military for that matter? They were all over both MoS and BvS yet absent here even though we saw Cyborg stop a Tank in one of the Original trailers. Yeah I think Neutered sums it up nicely
Lokimaru
Member
(11-29-2017, 10:00 AM)
Lokimaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by Batjag

Yeah, I think the highs and lows of JL both come from how much of a direct continuation of both MOS and BVS it is.

Some people are bothered by the quick pacing, but it worked for me, since it's really the finale of the trilogy.

In the future, I hope the DC movies stick to being more standalone, like Wonder Woman, so that the team up movies don't have to waste time tying up loose ends.

DC comics are largely stand alone, always have been. The only reason you know they take place in the same universe is the Justice League comic and the occasional Crossover. That was always one of the main differences between DC and Marvel. Everything in Marvel took place in or near New York so of course you'd see Spidey in a Fantastic Four comic just swing by on his way to the Bugle or somewhere.

DC Characters almost never shared cities, They stayed in there on little Fiefdoms with there own casts of characters unless some really big bad required the attention of the Justice League. Don't get me started on the line up, Pre vs Post crises where they replaced Wonder Woman with Black Canary as a Founder of the League a change that lasted up until Infinite Crises.
Bleepey
Member
(11-29-2017, 10:53 AM)
Bleepey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lokimaru

If I could describe Justice League in one word it would be Neutered. There was nothing stopping Snyder's vision from getting to this point while still maintaining it's Edge if you will. The problem with fans now is that they want things fully formed out of the packaging with not buildup or reasoning behind them. They want the end product not the hours of blood sweat and tears it took took to get to that end product.

People judged Superman based on him having a few off days cause someone was fucking with him rather then just looking at his actions. This Superman actually gave a shit, hell even when not wearing the Cape he's still trying to fight for the people. I kind of got the feeling Perry was extra hard on Clark cause he was technically dating the "bosses daughter". How many people picked up on that little nuance? Not many I'd wager but the ones who did got a little bit more out of the movie. Stuff like that is just gone in Justice league.

Also where were the real world people? MoS and BvS was a world where you could see John Oliver or Cobert do a bit about Superman on late night TV, Justice League not so much. All the reporters and News anchors were played by Actors now.

Hell where was the Military for that matter? They were all over both MoS and BvS yet absent here even though we saw Cyborg stop a Tank in one of the Original trailers. Yeah I think Neutered sums it up nicely

You should check out Man of Steel Answers podcast, if you like the films you will love how in depth he will go into the DCEU, if you are so so you may grow to like the DCEU hell you may do the same if you hate the DCEU. Moviebob may spend 2 hrs on a video essay where his points could be easily rebutted or engage in constant nitpicking but MOS answers engages in analysis where he frames all his points with real world examples.
Lokimaru
Member
(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)
Lokimaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bleepey

You should check out Man of Steel Answers podcast, if you like the films you will love how in depth he will go into the DCEU, if you are so so you may grow to like the DCEU hell you may do the same if you hate the DCEU. Moviebob may spend 2 hrs on a video essay where his points could be easily rebutted or engage in constant nitpicking but MOS answers engages in analysis where he frames all his points with real world examples.

Regular listener to Mosaic. Moviebob is toxic waste. What I can't understand is Why they brought in a writer who's claim to fame is wacking parents to create drama to lighten up a universe wear the plan was already in place to lighten. Ah have ya read Geoff Johns' work? Run your damn race and don't worry about the other guy. The PS3 beat the X-box 360 in world wide sales in the long run by sticking to what they do and improving that, not by doing what Microsoft did. You run your race, build on your loyalist and then you do what the other guy did while still keeping YOUR identity. Instead DC tried to do like Insomniac and follow the other guys instead of sticking to what they did best. Justice League is DC's Resistance 2 (Wonder Woman being Resistance: Retribution cause that was Awesome and made by Sony Bend, Suicide Squad was Burning Skies I liked it but the critics tore it a new one). Hopefully they learn there lesson from this and we get a Resistance 3 level movie out of them but like that game I fear it'll be too little too late..
Laserdisk
Member
(11-29-2017, 04:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Lokimaru

Regular listener to Mosaic. Moviebob is toxic waste. What I can't understand is Why they brought in a writer who's claim to fame is wacking parents to create drama to lighten up a universe wear the plan was already in place to lighten. Ah have ya read Geoff Johns' work? Run your damn race and don't worry about the other guy. The PS3 beat the X-box 360 in world wide sales in the long run by sticking to what they do and improving that, not by doing what Microsoft did. You run your race, build on your loyalist and then you do what the other guy did while still keeping YOUR identity. Instead DC tried to do like Insomniac and follow the other guys instead of sticking to what they did best. Justice League is DC's Resistance 2 (Wonder Woman being Resistance: Retribution cause that was Awesome and made by Sony Bend, Suicide Squad was Burning Skies I liked it but the critics tore it a new one). Hopefully they learn there lesson from this and we get a Resistance 3 level movie out of them but like that game I fear it'll be too little too late..

Those are some words alright.
Lokimaru
Member
(12-03-2017, 11:50 PM)
Lokimaru's Avatar
I find it odd that while divisive the threads for Snyder's films were multiple pages long while this thread is kind of a fart in the wind. I read a post saying that Snyder's take on Flash wasn't as the quirky guy but as an Orphan looking for a father figure which is why he latches on to Bruce so quickly. Seems like something Snyder would have in his film.
wondermega
Junior Member
(12-04-2017, 12:04 AM)
wondermega's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lokimaru

I find it odd that while divisive the threads for Snyder's films were multiple pages long while this thread is kind of a fart in the wind. I read a post saying that Snyder's take on Flash wasn't as the quirky guy but as an Orphan looking for a father figure which is why he latches on to Bruce so quickly. Seems like something Snyder would have in his film.

In case you haven't noticed gaf is rather quiet on such topics these days! Anyway I think that there is also an issue in general with this film in that there were no longer really great expectations for it, after everything that has come before. The release was just as you mentioned, it's all been fairly tame, like they wanted to just get it out there and move on to something else. At any rate I'll look forward to whatever different or special edition they release following the theater cut..
i-Lo
Member
(12-04-2017, 12:17 AM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lokimaru

If I could describe Justice League in one word it would be Neutered. There was nothing stopping Snyder's vision from getting to this point while still maintaining it's Edge if you will. The problem with fans now is that they want things fully formed out of the packaging with not buildup or reasoning behind them. They want the end product not the hours of blood sweat and tears it took took to get to that end product.

People judged Superman based on him having a few off days cause someone was fucking with him rather then just looking at his actions. This Superman actually gave a shit, hell even when not wearing the Cape he's still trying to fight for the people. I kind of got the feeling Perry was extra hard on Clark cause he was technically dating the "bosses daughter". How many people picked up on that little nuance? Not many I'd wager but the ones who did got a little bit more out of the movie. Stuff like that is just gone in Justice league.

Also where were the real world people? MoS and BvS was a world where you could see John Oliver or Cobert do a bit about Superman on late night TV, Justice League not so much. All the reporters and News anchors were played by Actors now.

Hell where was the Military for that matter? They were all over both MoS and BvS yet absent here even though we saw Cyborg stop a Tank in one of the Original trailers. Yeah I think Neutered sums it up nicely

Very valid points. Honestly, this one would be a slam dunk for cinema sins.

For me, I'd equate this movie to how I felt thor dark world- a sense of "meh". All action and no soul. It felt all the more profound after having watched Wonder Woman, which to me, is the best DC action hero movie to date barring Christopher Nolan's trilogy.

Overall, the movie required character development for the new faces which felt sorely lacking. Heck an animated mini-series preceding the movie to give more context would have gone some ways in avoiding what felt like a hodgepodge of a movie.

I mean, let's talk about Flash-
  • Why does he possess a custom suit like that and yet there is no footage of him in the costume in Bruce's archive footage?
  • How come Flash came off feeling weaker than Quicksilver (canonically speaking, Flash due the properties of inertia and momentum happens to one of the most powerful JL members, a theme which is briefly explored when in the movie he tells Bats that he only pushes people away)?
  • And coming back to the costume, why does it need to be able to handle friction given speedforce protects Barry from those obstacles (and even if he needed it to move at faster speeds that breach the protective abilities of speed force, why would there be exposed bits of skin around his face and eyes no less)?

That said, some action sequences were absolutely stellar:

Flash lighting up the mother box for Supes' resurrection and Supes being able to track Flash as he tries to flank him.
WaterAstro
Member
(12-04-2017, 01:12 AM)
WaterAstro's Avatar
Well, Flash looked slower than Quicksilver because they kept doing Flash in slow motion sequences, and he was still slow in slow motion, whereas X-Men Quicksilver was still at normal speed or even quick speed in his sequences in X-Men.

Or Avengers Quicksilver where he was just fast at normal camera speed.
Lokimaru
Member
(12-04-2017, 08:22 AM)
Lokimaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Very valid points. Honestly, this one would be a slam dunk for cinema sins.

For me, I'd equate this movie to how I felt thor dark world- a sense of "meh". All action and no soul. It felt all the more profound after having watched Wonder Woman, which to me, is the best DC action hero movie to date barring Christopher Nolan's trilogy.

Overall, the movie required character development for the new faces which felt sorely lacking. Heck an animated mini-series preceding the movie to give more context would have gone some ways in avoiding what felt like a hodgepodge of a movie.

I mean, let's talk about Flash-

  • Why does he possess a custom suit like that and yet there is no footage of him in the costume in Bruce's archive footage?
  • How come Flash came off feeling weaker than Quicksilver (canonically speaking, Flash due the properties of inertia and momentum happens to one of the most powerful JL members, a theme which is briefly explored when in the movie he tells Bats that he only pushes people away)?
  • And coming back to the costume, why does it need to be able to handle friction given speedforce protects Barry from those obstacles (and even if he needed it to move at faster speeds that breach the protective abilities of speed force, why would there be exposed bits of skin around his face and eyes no less)?

That said, some action sequences were absolutely stellar:

Flash lighting up the mother box for Supes' resurrection and Supes being able to track Flash as he tries to flank him.

The First time we saw a suited up Flash in Action was Suicide Squad where he didn't look Quirky at all, He came in cracked a joke then took Captain Boomerang out. Where was that guy in Justice League? He was there in earlier footage yet very absent in the final film.
i-Lo
Member
(12-04-2017, 10:50 PM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by WaterAstro

Well, Flash looked slower than Quicksilver because they kept doing Flash in slow motion sequences, and he was still slow in slow motion, whereas X-Men Quicksilver was still at normal speed or even quick speed in his sequences in X-Men.

Or Avengers Quicksilver where he was just fast at normal camera speed.

I know what you mean but what I meant is that compared to the relative motion of non-speedsters to Quicksilver in Xmen apocalypse, the non-speedsters in JL still looked to be moving at a greater pace relative to Flash. Given Flash is supposed to be substantially faster than QS, I can't help but feel they nerfed him.

I guess they can always use the excuse that he's still exploring the limits of himself and his powers. Compared to him Supes came off as godly.

Originally Posted by Lokimaru

The First time we saw a suited up Flash in Action was Suicide Squad where he didn't look Quirky at all, He came in cracked a joke then took Captain Boomerang out. Where was that guy in Justice League? He was there in earlier footage yet very absent in the final film.

I completely forgot about that.
tkscz
Member
(12-05-2017, 04:22 AM)
tkscz's Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Very valid points. Honestly, this one would be a slam dunk for cinema sins.

For me, I'd equate this movie to how I felt thor dark world- a sense of "meh". All action and no soul. It felt all the more profound after having watched Wonder Woman, which to me, is the best DC action hero movie to date barring Christopher Nolan's trilogy.

Overall, the movie required character development for the new faces which felt sorely lacking. Heck an animated mini-series preceding the movie to give more context would have gone some ways in avoiding what felt like a hodgepodge of a movie.

I mean, let's talk about Flash-

  • Why does he possess a custom suit like that and yet there is no footage of him in the costume in Bruce's archive footage?
  • How come Flash came off feeling weaker than Quicksilver (canonically speaking, Flash due the properties of inertia and momentum happens to one of the most powerful JL members, a theme which is briefly explored when in the movie he tells Bats that he only pushes people away)?
  • And coming back to the costume, why does it need to be able to handle friction given speedforce protects Barry from those obstacles (and even if he needed it to move at faster speeds that breach the protective abilities of speed force, why would there be exposed bits of skin around his face and eyes no less)?

That said, some action sequences were absolutely stellar:

Flash lighting up the mother box for Supes' resurrection and Supes being able to track Flash as he tries to flank him.

I don't know, I'd disagree with it having no soul, just needed to be a little longer. Maybe 20-30 minutes. Like I said before, it wouldn't hurt to have a scene where Aquaman looks down at Atlantis, shakes his head negatively at it, and then leave it. It would let the audience know he doesn't want to be there and went there because he had to when he was warned about Steppinwolf. And then we'd get an explanation for why he avoided it when he spoke to Mera. Speaking of her, let's have her go up sometime and be obviously seen in the background, so we know she was watching him all this time and why she seemed to just know who he was. Also SAY HER FUCKING NAME! She is one of the most powerful people in the DCU, give her some respect.

As for the Flash, a few lines about how he made the suit would've been nice. But it being friction proof is a thing from the comics AND most media he is in. And yeah, they could've worked on the speed effect as even CW Flash seemed faster. As for his character, I think they did a good job fleshing him out. We got motivation and reason, even reliability and understanding. So for not having his own solo movie yet, I think they did good.

Cyborg was a surprise. I thought he'd be awful and boring, but he turned out being pretty interesting. Him saying that he saw his Dad as the monster and not himself helped me believe he would join the League on his own. It showed me that, while being a Cyborg bothers him, he still saw the potential in it. So it made sense that WW was able to convince him so quickly to accept who he is. You also get his backstory out of the way in better exposition than Aquaman and same goes with Barry. With Aquaman, it was just kind of blurted out. Still felt like no one would want to see Aquaman (that Super Friends stigma).

But what gave this movie soul for me was the fact that the team stayed together (not sure if I should put that in spoilers or not). The team didn't get all angry and split up only to meet at the end, but instead talked their issues out like a damned team. Revive Superman? Actually have a conversation without the ones who disagreed just up and storming off. Specific members bothering each other? Brush it off or talk to another member about it so that they talk to the offending member. It felt like they were really trying to get along and they wanted to make it work and for me that made it work. I'm tired of the troupe of the team gets angry and splits up only to come back in the end.

Thread Tools