• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Grisby
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
Grisby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

This would likely be a companion game to LOS2 on HD consoles (as Epic Mickey: PoI is to EM2), but we'll see.

Yeah, makes sense.
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
It would be amazing if it was a traditional 2D Castlevania game with point to point levels (in other words not Metroidvania style) but I know it won't be.
BassForever
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kokonoe

Someone's going to have to tell me what "Igavania" means now.

Anyways, it'd be great to see another linear 2D Castlevania with the whip.

Koji Igarashi also known as IGA, most of the games he's worked on/directed/produced are the best loved in the series, all of the Metroidvania titles (minus Circle of the Moon) were made by him.
Sword Familiar
178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
Sword Familiar's Avatar
Cautiously optimistic.
wrowa
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
wrowa's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kokonoe

Someone's going to have to tell me what "Igavania" means now.

A Castlevania made by that guy:



He's the one who's responsible for the GBA and DS Castlevania games. Well, he also did those PS2 games and one other game we prefer not to talk about.
ThatCrazyGuy
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
ThatCrazyGuy's Avatar
Wait, does this mean there is no 3D console version sequel in the works as well? Or the making 2 games? Does anybody know? Saving it for next gen?

I love LoS, haha.
Kokonoe
Banned
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
I'm all for Metroidvania, but we have a plethora of them already. Linear Castlevania could use some more games in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Skilletor

Any GBA or DS Castlevania and SotN.

Ah I see, thanks.
ImLibo
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:45 PM)
ImLibo's Avatar
Hell yeah! I've been waiting for a new handheld castlevania ever since i bought the 3DS,They could do some cool depth of field 3D effects like Mighty switch force,E3 can't come soon enough!
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(05-21-2012, 04:46 PM)
thetrin's Avatar
Man, it would be nice if Iga was doing this, rather than Mercury Steam. :\
BassForever
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:46 PM)
BassForever's Avatar
I'm excited though I wish more of this stuff could be kept under wraps for E3, I like my E3 when everything is a megaton and all gaming websites crash
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(05-21-2012, 04:46 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar
Am I the only person who's happy with IGA's non-involvement? It means the game at least has a chance of having levels that aren't randomly generated.
Shellshock929
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
Shellshock929's Avatar

Originally Posted by thetrin

Man, it would be nice if Iga was doing this, rather than Mercury Steam. :\

Yeah, I agree. Still, a new Castlevania on 3DS makes me excited.
radcliff
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
radcliff's Avatar
Castlevania is in my Fave Five of video game franchises. This is a no brainer no matter if its level based of MedtroidVania.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
So it's a 2D game with cel shaded 3D models made by Mercury Steam for the 3DS? About a million things could go wrong here.
wrowa
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
wrowa's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Hehe, I've known this for a while. It's in 2D, it's for 3DS and it's made by Mercury Steam.

Oh, you've got to be kidding. Please. :(
ShockingAlberto
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar
I think IGA was helping on a recent XBLA shooter...the name slips my mind, though.
SlaughterX
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
SlaughterX's Avatar
Cool, finally have a game to look forward to playing on my 3DS!
Derrick01
Banned
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
Derrick01's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThatCrazyGuy

Wait, does this mean there is no 3D console version sequel in the works as well? Or the making 2 games? Does anybody know? Saving it for next gen?

I love LoS, haha.

LoS 2 has been all but officially confirmed at this point so we're thankfully still getting a sequel to that eventually. I'm also intrigued in this game too since they're also working on it but it seems like it'll be another 2D one and I've had my fill of those on GBA and DS. It seems like there's 8 billion of those sometimes.
Grisby
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
Grisby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Hehe, I've known this for a while. It's in 2D, it's for 3DS and it's made by Mercury Steam.

Man, I can't wait to see MS's art pop on the 3DS. If the gameplay is not metroidvania I'll be in heaven.
IdreamofHIME
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:47 PM)
IdreamofHIME's Avatar
OMG


best gaming new in months

YES!YES!YES!
Suzzopher
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:48 PM)
Suzzopher's Avatar
Still waiting on Iga's 1999 Castlevania epic.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(05-21-2012, 04:48 PM)
jj984jj's Avatar
Is IGA still at Konami? Aside from a few digital titles he hasn't done anything these past few years, has he?
Sammy Samusu
(05-21-2012, 04:48 PM)
Sammy Samusu's Avatar
Why not IGA?

And that's not Order of Ecclesia II. :(

Hummmm, I'll have to wait for more info.
Ignis Fatuus
Banned
(05-21-2012, 04:49 PM)
Ignis Fatuus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

Am I the only person who's happy with IGA's non-involvement? It means the game at least has a chance of having levels that aren't randomly generated.

Sales aside, Iga's formula may have gotten a bit brain dead towards the end but it worked and was the gaming equivalent of comfort food. It was nice and familiar and reminded us of all the good times we've had with the series.
EmSeta
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:50 PM)
EmSeta's Avatar
Don't get your hopes up this is Konami after all.
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(05-21-2012, 04:50 PM)
Combichristoffersen's Avatar

Originally Posted by jj984jj

Is IGA still at Konami? Aside from a few digital titles he hasn't done anything these past few years, has he?

I think he's a janitor at KojiPro these days
Floex
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:50 PM)
Floex's Avatar
3DS :(
StoppedInTracks
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:50 PM)
StoppedInTracks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Hehe, I've known this for a while. It's in 2D, it's for 3DS and it's made by Mercury Steam.

How legit are you?

Cause I want you to be legit.
MigueelDnd
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:50 PM)
MigueelDnd's Avatar
Nice! A new Castlevania, and for the 3DS! Let's keep that 3rd party support coming.

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

This would likely be a companion game to LOS2 on HD consoles (as Epic Mickey: PoI is to EM2), but we'll see.

Probably you're right.
It's not likely, but let's see if the 3DS version is the superior version in this case, too.
EatChildren
Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
(05-21-2012, 04:50 PM)
EatChildren's Avatar
Lord of Shadow 2 on Wii U with dumb Mirror of Faith connectivity features? Stay tuned to find out.
Tambini
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:51 PM)
Tambini's Avatar
This news pleases me!
LiK
(05-21-2012, 04:51 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

Lord of Shadow 2 on Wii U with dumb Mirror of Faith connectivity features? Stay tuned to find out.

Four Mirrors
ThatCrazyGuy
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:51 PM)
ThatCrazyGuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Derrick01

LoS 2 has been all but officially confirmed at this point so we're thankfully still getting a sequel to that eventually. I'm also intrigued in this game too since they're also working on it but it seems like it'll be another 2D one and I've had my fill of those on GBA and DS. It seems like there's 8 billion of those sometimes.

Ahh. I see.

I hope this 2D one is vastly different than the past DS offerings. I want their 2D formula mixed up a little.
Last edited by ThatCrazyGuy; 05-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
IdreamofHIME
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:52 PM)
IdreamofHIME's Avatar
reading the full story as thrown cold water over my burning excitement.
crap...
Saint Gregory
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:52 PM)
Saint Gregory's Avatar
This news has me really torn. Any new Castlevania announcement makes me giddy but why is Konami treating IGA this way? The man has literally never made a bad handheld 'Vania game.
Sendou
Junior Member
(05-21-2012, 04:52 PM)
Sendou's Avatar
Nice! DS Castlevanias were rock solid games.
Nilaul
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:53 PM)
Nilaul's Avatar

Originally Posted by Floex

3DS :(

Boo hoo hooo

Go buy a 3DS

:P
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(05-21-2012, 04:53 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ignis Fatuus

Sales aside, Iga's formula may have gotten a bit brain dead towards the end but it worked and was the gaming equivalent of comfort food. It was nice and familiar and reminded us of all the good times we've had with the series.

And I'm not saying that any of the Igavanias are outright bad, but... come on, there have been seven games based on the SOTN formula, with the same level design that consists mainly of generic rooms filled with enemies and a few token obstacles. It's time to move on; the man clearly either wasn't interested in or capable of fixing the biggest flaws in that formula.
Dascu
(05-21-2012, 04:53 PM)
Dascu's Avatar

Originally Posted by TreIII

Hmm...very interesting.

Reminds me of the PORTRAITofRUIN days.
SatelliteOfLove
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:54 PM)
SatelliteOfLove's Avatar
Kojima art.

Yamane music.

Do something right this gen, Konami!

Originally Posted by Ignis Fatuus

Metroidvania please.

I feel bad for Iga. What did Konami do, stuff him in a cardboard box and bury him?

In the same shallow grave Hudson and the Suikoden mythos are interred.
Last edited by SatelliteOfLove; 05-21-2012 at 04:56 PM.
brandonh83
Captain of the Blockbuster Defense Force
(05-21-2012, 04:55 PM)
brandonh83's Avatar
Personally I'm over the Metroidvania formula, I mean let's not kid anyone here I would still buy them and enjoy them but I would be thrilled if it's not like that.
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(05-21-2012, 04:55 PM)
Combichristoffersen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saint Gregory

This news has me really torn. Any new Castlevania announcement makes me giddy but why is Konami treating IGA this way? The man has literally never made a bad handheld 'Vania game.

Declining sales for his games, I guess.

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

I think IGA was helping on a recent XBLA shooter...the name slips my mind, though.

Otomedius Excellent. Seems like he's currently working on a Kinect title.
corrosivefrost
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:55 PM)
corrosivefrost's Avatar

Originally Posted by PepsimanVsJoe

Too bad.
I'd rather have a new IGAvania.

Finally sat down and played through Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin again. Could be I'm just suffering from that "Don't know what you got 'till it's gone." feeling but damn. They're fun games with some good ideas.

Dawn of Sorrow, IMO of course, rivals SotN as the greatest "metroidvania" game ever created. Aria of Sorrow was by far and away the best GBA incarnation and seeing as it laid the framework for Dawn of Sorrow, it's high in my list as well.

Should be interesting to see how this pans out, I guess. If it's another title I can pick up if/when I cave and get a 3DS, great!
Hiltz
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:55 PM)
Hiltz's Avatar
I hope this is true because if it is, then this will officially seal the deal for me wanting to eventually pick up a 3DS once the inevitable new model comes out. Those requirements from third-parties were to bring Monster Hunter and 2D Castlevania.
Sadist
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:56 PM)
Sadist's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

Lord of Shadow 2 on Wii U with dumb Mirror of Faith connectivity features? Stay tuned to find out.

Like Konami would ever port it to Wii U.
Lord Ghirahim
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:56 PM)
Lord Ghirahim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Floex

3DS :(

3DS :D
Liamario
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:56 PM)
Liamario's Avatar
Dear Mr Sony,

What are you doing?!

Yours Sincerely,

The confused masses.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(05-21-2012, 04:56 PM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

Lord of Shadow 2 on Wii U with dumb Mirror of Faith connectivity features? Stay tuned to find out.

PUT YOUR 3DS ON YOUR WII U CONTROLLER TO INCEPTION
Aostia
Banned
(05-21-2012, 04:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

This would likely be a companion game to LOS2 on HD consoles (as Epic Mickey: PoI is to EM2), but we'll see.

it would be awesome.
I wonder if LoS2 will come out also on Wii U.
Dascu
(05-21-2012, 04:56 PM)
Dascu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

And I'm not saying that any of the Igavanias are outright bad, but... come on, there have been seven games based on the SOTN formula, with the same level design that consists mainly of generic rooms filled with enemies and a few token obstacles. It's time to move on; the man clearly either wasn't interested in or capable of fixing the biggest flaws in that formula.

He was arguably on the right track with Order of Ecclesia. A much better artstyle, better challenge, refreshing protagonist and some throwbacks to the old games in stage design and platforming.

Thread Tools