• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
View Poll Results: Should TV manufacturers make a filter that adds chromatic aberration to your TV?
Yes, and on by default
115 37.58%
Yes, and not disableable
191 62.42%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(10-06-2017, 10:48 PM)
[Polygon]

James Gunn, the director of Slither, both Guardians of the Galaxy films and the under-appreciated Super recently tweeted about his hatred of the feature, and the fact itís turned on as the default for so many displays. His message included some big names, all supporting the death of motion smoothing.

Rian Johnson, who directed Brick, Looper, three amazing Breaking Bad episodes and something called Star Wars: The Last Jedi didnít bother trying to hide his disgust at how deeply the option can be hidden in menus, and how bad it can make movies look.

Reed Morano directed the first three episodes of The Handmaidís Tale, and sheís been fighting the good fight for a while now.

Bless em all and godspeed! Motion Smoothing should be shot into the sun.
A-V-B
(10-06-2017, 10:49 PM)
Totally on board, yeah. It's a really ugly feature to plaster across walls of television screens.
SpaceWolf
Banned
Interesting.
Lashley
Why does he wear the mask!?
Yep, first setting I disabled on my new TV
Skux
Good. Content should be watched at the source frame rate and aspect ratio without any of these post processing gimmicks.
LumpOfCole
Cereal Killer
(10-06-2017, 10:50 PM)
It took way, way too long for this campaign to start up. This has been a major problem in televisions for something 8+ years now (probably longer). It's arguably okay in Sports, but it ruins every other kind of media. Honestly it shouldn't even exist.
Glix
(10-06-2017, 10:51 PM)
It's disgusting.

I have trouble not being a dick when people say they like it. It's horrible.
Apathy
(10-06-2017, 10:52 PM)
Way too many people want to watch soap operas instead of movies and shows. Looks horrible
A-V-B
(10-06-2017, 10:52 PM)

Originally Posted by LumpOfCole

It took way, way too long for this campaign to start up. This has been a major problem in televisions for something 8+ years now (probably longer). It's arguably okay in Sports, but it ruins every other kind of media. Honestly it shouldn't even exist.

And some sports are broadcast at 60fps anyway. I know baseball is slowly coming into the fold on this.
zelas
(10-06-2017, 10:53 PM)
Thank god! Save us!
dr3upmushroom
Banned
(10-06-2017, 10:53 PM)
I've never understood this feature, I remember walking into a Costco and thinking "What the fuck is this bullshit".

Originally Posted by Glix

It's disgusting.

Sometimes the truth hurts.
h1nch
(10-06-2017, 10:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Glix

It's disgusting.

Those people have bad taste.

It's a worthless feature that should go away.
Days like these...
Poonani should have a ph balance of 0
I remember when it first came out many years ago and alot of people (me included) complained about how everything looked like a soap opera. People were saying 'but, but, but, it's the future you'll get used it!'
TangoAlphaLima
But what if I want all content to look like my telenovellas?

I don't.
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls
If consumers want to go out of their way to fuck up their image quality, that's fine. The DEFAULT factory settings shouldn't be screwing with the source.

Originally Posted by Days like these...

I remember when it first came out many years ago and alot of people (me included) complained about how everything looked like a soap opera. People were saying 'but, but, but, it's the future you'll get used it!'

You might be thinking of high framerate content, which is slowly becoming more common.
BlackGoku03
(10-06-2017, 10:55 PM)
I've been called a snob by my IT coworkers because I hate smooth motion.
Ashby
(10-06-2017, 10:56 PM)
My fancy new 4K+HDR TV doesn't have it so maybe the tide is already turning.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(10-06-2017, 10:56 PM)
I turn that shit off immediately.
Palette Swap
(10-06-2017, 10:57 PM)
Yeah. I hate that you need to go out of your way to get rid of this disgusting crap.
Previous
check out my new Swatch
(10-06-2017, 10:57 PM)
Good. fuck that soap opera shit.
Skux
(10-06-2017, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Apathy

Way too many people want to watch soap operas instead of movies and shows. Looks horrible

Originally Posted by Previous

Good. fuck that soap opera shit.

This is the unfortunate side effect of the soap operas of the 80s and 90s - anything that looks high frame rate or smooth has embedded the association of "cheap soap opera" into the general public, and this turned a lot of people off the technical aspects of The Hobbit.

People have this ingrained idea that it's only a "film" if it's 24fps. It "feels filmic" or "has that filmic look". And rightfully so - the 24fps standard has been around for decades and has been used for almost every movie they've watched.

But 24fps is only a number that was chosen because it was the tradeoff between motion fidelity and cost. It was good enough and cheap enough to be widely adopted. Unfortunately it's also terribly limiting in some cases, but attempting to go against the grain is often met with revulsion from film purists.

We need more big budget, high frame rate content, especially for action and sci-fi films where temporal fidelity is important. This will help change the perception and make it more acceptable to have high frame rate content for films that would benefit from it. Can you imagine Fast & Furious or Star Trek shot natively at 60fps. It would be a feast for the eyes.
Dan-o
(10-06-2017, 10:59 PM)
Poll needs a "Fuck yo chromatic aberration" option.
broncobuster
Banned
Odd how for most TVs, game mode disables all this, but the dedicated cinema modes keep them on by default. Like if you want to keep it the default on the standard setting, fine, whatever. But at least have a baseline for the cinema presets.
Bronx-Man
Banned
Is this that thing that makes everything look like a soap opera? Burn it with fire, christ. I donít know who could possibly enjoy that shit.
Phreaker
(10-06-2017, 11:00 PM)
RESIST!

Funny story. A co-worker bought a new TV and came back after the weekend and said new TVs are terrible, they make everything look weird. I was like what? He said the video seems wrong. Then I told him about motion smoothing crap, he turned it off and said I saved him from regretting getting a new TV.
Farsi
(10-06-2017, 11:00 PM)
I can understand why, but I'm a fan of it.
crimsonheadGCN
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:02 PM)
That is a great poll. chromatic aberration should not have a disable option when it's added to TVs.
itwasTuesday
He wasn't alone.
(10-06-2017, 11:03 PM)
Motion smoothing/image interpolation during text crawl or credits isn't bad though.
Extra Sauce
The worst part was in the early years of HDTV when trying and failing to explain the problem to other people without having an accepted term for it. So many of them seem to lack the ability to tell the difference, which is mind-boggling to me.
GAMEPROFF
Whats the name of this on Panasonic TVs? Pretty sure I disabled it, but I want to check it out.
jstripes
Banned
The worst thing to happen to TVs in forever.
kunonabi
Motion smoothing turned me of hdtvs for years before i realized it was optional.
backflip10019
(10-06-2017, 11:04 PM)
Motion smoothing is fucking horrible.

My in-laws have never turned it off, so I have to watch it there every time I visit.
SeanC
(10-06-2017, 11:04 PM)
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Makes you feel removed from the film, to me. Like you're paying more attention to the smoothness than anything else.

Great for talkshows and sports, though.
liquidtmd
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:05 PM)
All those directors should tag Peter Jackson in on the Tweets and ask him why he turned it on for The Hobbit movies

lol

Seriously my friend has this permanently on her TV. I caught Die Hard on it once and it looked like absolute trash.
Farsi
(10-06-2017, 11:06 PM)

Originally Posted by liquidtmd

All those directors should tag Peter Jackson in on the Tweets and ask him why he turned it on for The Hobbit movies

lol

lol damn son
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(10-06-2017, 11:07 PM)
Hereís a fun trick: with motion smoothing on, watch the uhd version of Lawrence of Arabia to see how cheap and nasty David Leanís masterpiece looks.
Fancy Clown
The fact that itís hidden deep in menus and called something different on every TV AND is on by default is the biggest bullshit. Yeah Iím totally gonna drop a few thousand on a TV because I want to make everything look like it was filmed in some British dudeís basement in 1973.
jayu26
About damn time. Every time I see shit like this at a friend's house I face palm.
Geneijin
He'll Never Forget The
Flower We Saw That Day
Motion smoothing usually looks like footage was sped up for me.
liquidtmd
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

Hereís a fun trick: with motion smoothing on, watch the uhd version of Lawrence of Arabia to see how cheap and nasty David Leanís masterpiece looks.

You monster
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(10-06-2017, 11:08 PM)

Originally Posted by backflip10019

Motion smoothing is fucking horrible.

My in-laws have never turned it off, so I have to watch it there every time I visit.

I turn it off everywhere I go. Theyíre doing it wrong.
MightyHedgehog
Welcome to the Wasteland.
I hope you're wearing your flak vest!
(10-06-2017, 11:09 PM)
I'm not a fan of it, but it does look nice for S3D CG animated content, IMO.

Originally Posted by A-V-B

And some sports are broadcast at 60fps anyway. I know baseball is slowly coming into the fold on this.

In the US, anyway, sports programming is virtually always captured and broadcast at 60fps since the '70s.
Septimus Prime
Good. Screw the camcorder look.
Vincent Alexander
I nearly ended a relationship over this shit.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(10-06-2017, 11:10 PM)
Is there a reason games don't use this to achieve at least the look of 60 FPS?
BotoxAgent
also no to edge enhancement and stupid ass blue whites
Syder
If when purchasing a new TV you don't go through every menu/setting tuning it then what are you even doing with your life?
Crossing Eden
Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
(10-06-2017, 11:12 PM)
THANK YOU! Seriously the motion interpolation makes animated films and films in general look awful.
Kill Your Masters
(10-06-2017, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Syder

If when purchasing a new TV you don't go through every menu/setting tuning it then what are you even doing with your life?

Most people don't. You'd be surprised. Most family or friends I visit have this shit turned on.

Super enhanced cinema (super monty python diarrhea effect) sounds too good to be turned off for a 500$ TV or something. TV manufacturers are at fault.