Just realized Lauren has stopped following me. Am I that annoying? :(

No (lol)
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(10-25-2012, 09:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/sta...34965785841665

davidscottjaffe ‏@davidscottjaffe
@geoffkeighley I am in town! I will swing by with some mountain dew!:)
Details

hahahaha
marrec
Loves ketchup on hot dogs and Pringles

Originally Posted by Wario64

Just realized Lauren has stopped following me. Am I that annoying? :(

Gettin' in on that #Wario64defiance giveaway for new nGage #tacophone4lyf
pants

Originally Posted by shagg_187

BEFORE:

AFTER:

What Lauren could learn from Amirox
PrimeRib_

Brilliant! You're hired! Sit behind Keighley and hold that box straight!

I would but I've got massive Doritos fingers
/delichus
Zeliard
(10-25-2012, 09:33 PM)
Ya'll made Lauren unfollow The Wario. Hope you're proud, GAF.
MormaPope
Banned
(10-25-2012, 09:34 PM)

When GAF and 4chan unites, the hydra grows. HAIL HYDRA!

NeoChan.

4Gaf.
Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz

Originally Posted by Archaix

Guys we were all overreacting. Lauren Wainwright never worked with Square Enix after all. I mean, she couldn't possibly just be trying to hide the truth and pretend these things never happened.

http://journalisted.com/lauren-wainwright

Is this chick new to the internet? Does she know how things work?
slightconfuse
Banned
this has spiraled out of control fast. anyone have a quick primer other than geoff and doritos
funkystudent
I cant tell if the thread title should be updated considering the fallout or if its somehow perfect.

Lauren is just being silly now. Just stop. Get away from the internet RIGHT NOW. Whats done is done. Just leave it alone for a few days.
Nert
(10-25-2012, 09:35 PM)

Originally Posted by pants

What Lauren could learn from Amirox

Seeing how Amir0x was demodded and this person is being vigorously defended by her employers, NeoGAF apparently has higher standards for its mods than some publications have for their games writers.
PrimeRib_
She's what? 21, 22 years old?
Harsh life lesson here, methinks.
JABEE

Guys we were all overreacting. Lauren Wainwright never worked with Square Enix after all. I mean, she couldn't possibly just be trying to hide the truth and pretend these things never happened.

Disgusting. At least move it to past employment if you don't work there any more, but to change it now makes it seem as if she's hoping that no one will pick up on he consultant work with Square.
EternalGamer
Banned

Originally Posted by slightconfuse

this has spiraled out of control fast. anyone have a quick primer other than geoff and doritos

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...sted-story-of-
marrec
Loves ketchup on hot dogs and Pringles

Originally Posted by Nert

Seeing how Amir0x was demodded and this person is being vigorously defended by her employers, NeoGAF apparently has higher standards for its mods than some publications have for their games writers.

It's the Sun.

Ain't much doesn't have higher standards than the Sun.
Interfectum
(10-25-2012, 09:36 PM)
Called it on page 2:

Originally Posted by Interfectum

oh man... this is gonna get ugly.

theSlacker

Originally Posted by MormaPope

NeoChan.

4Gaf.

NeoChan4Gaf has a nice ring to it....
Dakota47

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Omfg how stupid can you be?! The internet ALWAYS remembers.
NHale

Originally Posted by Brazil

Is this chick new to the internet? Does she know how things work?

Clearly not.
MormaPope
Banned

Originally Posted by Nert

Amir0x is also smart enough not to bring up what happened nor does he try to defend his position in that instance.

Called it on page 2:

That's a swag ass gif.
Hot Coldman
Banned

Originally Posted by conman

Publishers aren't about to "grow up." The responsibility lies entirely with those covering games. Have some basic ethical standards and stick to them. Clearly, many of us here care about ethical standards, so they'd attract readers if they were open, transparent, and consistent in sticking to those standards.

Without them, you end up with exactly this media storm.

Well, yes, I don't think I was arguing against the press having ethics...
Balehead
(10-25-2012, 09:37 PM)
When I first heard about twitter I didn't think it would be this entertaining, and I'm not even on it.
Sean
Banned

Originally Posted by Label

Haha, oh wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBDsnQMIgWg&feature=plcp

Looks like she deleted this 'WoW players are virgins' video too? Anyone have a mirror?
slightconfuse
Banned

Originally Posted by EternalGamer

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...sted-story-of-

thank you!
conman

Originally Posted by Victrix

Not sure if this is true. Based on GAF reaction to DLC vs. DLC sales, I wouldn't be surprised if GAF reaction to games journalism vs. games journalism webpage impressions were hilariously inverted.

We may be a minority of readers, but we're a powerful minority. Considering how often GAF is the source for stories and the go-to place for crowdsourced dot connecting within the industry, I think we matter quite a bit as readers. Our opinions don't really affect game sales, but we do have an effect on industry coverage.
B-Dex
(10-25-2012, 09:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Omikaru

Apparently we at GAF, alongside 4chan, have started an "awful attack campaign" against Lauren Wainwright.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/261506403452203008

UK GAF assemble and sue for libel. We started no such campaign.
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned
(10-25-2012, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Sean

Looks like she deleted this 'WoW players are virgins' video too? Anyone have a mirror?

It's like she is erasing everything. My advice for any situation like this? Get off the fucking internet and don't touch a thing. Do it when the storm calms down.
PsychoRaven

Amir0x is also smart enough not to bring up what happened nor does he try to defend his position in that instance.

That's a swag ass gif.

Well yea. He acknowledged that he was wrong. She still hasn't done that. And yes as someone mentioned above. Neogaf does have higher standards. That's a good thing too.
Fistwell

Ooooooooooooohhhoh!!
Nert

Originally Posted by marrec

It's the Sun.

Ain't much doesn't have higher standards than the Sun.

Hah, I suppose so. Still, having professional standards below those of a discussion forum is pretty damning.
tetrisgrammaton

Originally Posted by Larsen B

The article is not so much about Geoff Keighley as how the lines between journalists and PR have become so blurred that it means impartiality will always be called into question.

Games journalism is a circle jerk. Friends with PR, friends with other journalists, friends with developers.

sounds like someone is jealous of people with friends
bishoptl
Banstick Emeritus
(10-25-2012, 09:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Zeliard

Be sure to read John Walker's two excellent pieces on this subject.

This one was written after the original Rab Florence article came out but before the shit hit the fan with Lauren Wainwright and the article edits. Contains lots of disclosure and honest truths about what the biz is like, and lots of smacking about of idiots:

http://botherer.org/2012/10/24/games...of-corruption/

This one is post-shit-hitting-fan and even angrier:

http://botherer.org/2012/10/25/an-utter-disgrace/

The change in his tone between the two is palpable. Great set of articles.
Jackben
(10-25-2012, 09:41 PM)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I don't understand this mindset. Did she think deleting a bit of text would make things better? Absolutely pathetic.
see5harp
(10-25-2012, 09:42 PM)

Originally Posted by PrimeRib_

not really the same. Ryan Seacrest doesn't tout himself as a restaurant critic or provide retailer reviews. If he did, he absolutely would get lambasted the same way.

I don't think the issue is with the identifiers of those writers. Journalism, critics, whatever you want to call them. The issue more or less stems from those in the industry that work for a company that leads the public to believe they provide objective reviews. From that standpoint, accepting gifts, meals or favors poses a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think most of the video game writers out there to present or think of themselves as being investigative jounalists. Most podcasts, including Justin McElroy's, revel and laugh in the fact that they are grown adults getting paid to talk about video games.
MormaPope
Banned
It's always funny when people tell THE ENTIRETY OF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY ON NEOGAF to stop doing something. This isn't a fucking mission based site, it's a forum of enthusiasts and varied users. Seeing how videogame journalists report videogames, it doesn't surprise me that they don't have the slightest clue to what Neogaf actually is.
RedNumberFive
Banned
I think we've now reached legendary thread status! I haven't had this much fun since "for or against."
randomwab

Originally Posted by DangerStepp

Jerk for the 9.5 make a living.. barely get by.. no take and all givin'.

9.5 is a great way to go... I'd hate to say '10', ethics, ya know?

God, it's been a while. GFWRadio is turning out to be truly timeless. I miss them professional enthusiasts professionally enthusing.
slightconfuse
Banned
(10-25-2012, 09:43 PM)
man she keeps digging her own grave, just own up to it.
JABEE
(10-25-2012, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by aegies

Or, PR want to go somewhere nice. Or, they pick a location well served by international airlines so they can get global media there. Or, they pick somewhere nice to bring their devs for a few days. Or, all of those things. I think Captivate is an important event on a yearly basis. I refused the opportunity to go this year though. That trip was a clusterfuck scheduled right into PAX East.

You don't believe that going to those events can even subconsciously shape your experience with a game. They don't spend that money to fly everyone to Hawaii to just make their employees happy. It is a conscious move that Capcom makes to put you in a good mood. They want you to become buddies with their PR people, because they know that people can be influenced by not wanting to let down their friend's game or being in Hawaii puts members of the press in a better mood.

Do you ever think about these things when you go to these events? These junkets are performed to influence opinion leaders. The environmental and social pressures applied at these events are a conscious investment made by the Marketing departments of these publishers. They do it because they know know press members are influenced by these gifts.
Ad Infinitum
Feel really sorry for Rab. Not right that he's had all this happen to him for telling the truth.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals

Called it on page 2:

A regular ole Nostrildamus you are

Who didn't see this coming now?!?!?
criesofthepast
Overdue ROH inductees:
Pavel Bure
Sergio Momesso
Kirk MacLean's wife
(10-25-2012, 09:45 PM)
This girl isn't too bright eh?
Dawg

Wow.
slightconfuse
Banned
its sucks rab had to quit his job over editoral corruption
theSlacker
(10-25-2012, 09:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Jackben

I don't understand this mindset. Did she think deleting a bit of text would make things better? Absolutely pathetic.

She is young. I'm sure with hind sight she would have just ignored it like Geoff. It wasn't an attack on her, or the other 2 anyway.

Originally it was just an on point editorial that would have had mild praise and been forgotten in a few weeks, just taking up some people's bookmarks to post in later threads. Now look at it all.
Relaxed Muscle

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Does she really think that's gonna work? or maybe SE asked her nicely to stop working for them lol.
S0N0S

The only logic - if you can call it that - I see guiding her actions seems to be "If it's incriminating and can be deleted, delete it."
iammeiam

Maybe SE wanted her to pull the reference? I can't imagine they're thrilled at their inclusion in this.
Nert

It's always funny when people tell THE ENTIRETY OF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY ON NEOGAF to stop doing something. This isn't a fucking mission based site, it's a forum of enthusiasts and varied users. Seeing how videogame journalists report videogames, it doesn't surprise me that they don't have the slightest clue to what Neogaf actually is.

To be fair, a lot of people here make the same mistake of referring to "NeoGAF" as a singular entity (or worse: the dreaded "GAF hive mind"). This comes up all of the time in various political threads. It's silly when games writers do it and it's silly when people here do it.