• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Foffy
Banned
(05-21-2012, 06:23 PM)
I think the fact Konami only had MercurySteam Castlevania characters on their big E3 character bracket all but confirmed Konami has abandoned everything about the series pre-LoS.

The fact we knew MercurySteam was working on a prototype Castlevania for 3DS last year, this is no surprise. And I'm not even disappointed about this, as a result.
kunonabi
(05-21-2012, 06:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

It would be amazing if it was a traditional 2D Castlevania game with point to point levels (in other words not Metroidvania style) but I know it won't be.

That's what I'm hoping for.
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(05-21-2012, 06:25 PM)
This thread is fucking confusing. Can the op get updated??

- Is it 2D ?

- Is it a Metroidvania style?
CaVaYeRo
I love Iga DSvanias. But this just makes sense to me...

They should be developing it as a spin-off, right?
Instro
I called this happening back when lords of shadow was announced, goodbye IGA :(. Maybe they will roll him out again at E3 to talk about how great MecurySteam is lol. On the plus side this will probably get a bigger budget than any of his games ever did.

Anyway I love CV very much so hopefully this turns out well. Kojima better be involved in the art and Yamane better be composing.
GhostTrick
(05-21-2012, 06:27 PM)
I thought Igarashi was making a 3ds castlevania...:(
GitarooMan
(05-21-2012, 06:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Neuromancer

It would be amazing if it was a traditional 2D Castlevania game with point to point levels (in other words not Metroidvania style) but I know it won't be.

I really hope it's that too. Some linear vertical and horizontal platforming action with a whip and some challenging levels would be amazing.
Dartastic
(05-21-2012, 06:28 PM)
I need a 2d Castlevania. Please be 2d. PLEASE.
LeleSocho
(05-21-2012, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Sadist

Castlevania: Mirror of Faith will be announced exclusively for 3DS.

FUCKING YESSSSS, 3DS REDEEMED SHIT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME I CAN'T FUCKIN BELIEVE IT!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sadist

David Cox, Producer from Lord of Shadows and Enric Alvarez, director/writer of the same game seem to be working on the game.

GhostTrick
Plus, I thought Mercury Steam was working on Contra 3DS.
Hero of Legend
LoS looked cool, hopefully it's like that. I thought Mercury Steam was supposed to be a great developer, why are people booing at them being the developer of this?
BassForever
(05-21-2012, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

Where did you hear about this?
Relaxed Muscle

They're working on both, why ruin one saga when you can ruin two?

I don't really know
JacksUsername
Hmm...I really disliked Lords of Shadow's gameplay style, but it had some of the most amazing concept art I've seen. If they could pull off the Iga gameplay and bring in beautiful painted backgrounds, this could be on of my most anticipated games.
wondermega
(05-21-2012, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Ignis Fatuus

Metroidvania please.

I feel bad for Iga. What did Konami do, stuff him in a cardboard box and bury him?

that's called research, brother!
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(05-21-2012, 06:32 PM)
Man, this is so disappointing.... I'd been thinking about how cool it'd be to have a new Castlevania come out on 3DS, where the graphics are prettier and the soundtrack benefits from better sound hardware...

This is crushing.
Kaldea
PLEASE BE GOOD.

I miss Castlevania. :(
Foffy
Banned

Cox has gone on record saying Mercury wants to make a Contra game. But all they've hinted about was another Castlevania the same week Lords launched.

And besides, when this image came out, wasn't this for the console sequel to Lords? So is Mercury working on two new Castlevania games?

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

LoS looked cool, hopefully it's like that. I thought Mercury Steam was supposed to be a great developer, why are people booing at them being the developer of this?

They made a good game in Lords. They made a bad Castlevania in Lords.
gabbre
(05-21-2012, 06:33 PM)
A new Metroidvania?

NO IGA?

Relaxed Muscle
(05-21-2012, 06:33 PM)

They made Jericho and the fact that LoS was a barely decent GOW clone.
Akibastman
(05-21-2012, 06:34 PM)
If it's in the continuity of the other GBA/DS Metroidvania, I'm really happy. Except if it's like Portrait of Ruin, I didn't like that one.

If this was called "Miror of Sorrow", I would have lost my shit. I love your gameplay Soma Cruz, come back.
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(05-21-2012, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by CaVaYeRo

Dude with 3DS: "You see, Konami's paying us either way, so we can do an even worse job than last time."

Dude in red: "That's possible?"
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(05-21-2012, 06:35 PM)
I thought Portrait of Ruin was on the right track but ultimately fell short. What I would like to see is a game with an open castle to explore (not too large, though) in which you visit individual stages designed in the style of old school Castlevania games (ala Dracula X).
mclem
(05-21-2012, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Why would you do that?

Since all 3DS games have S3D, it's extremely likely he meant 2D gameplay.

I don't believe they're obligated to implement stereo 3D; pretty sure Cubic Ninja didn't. Also, "2D" *can* also mean "not polygons" depending on the context, but it's not always clear.
Wonko_C

Originally Posted by Ridley327

He's talking about the other Kojima.

Not only did I do a bad joke, I confused Ayami Kojima (the artist) with Michiru Yamane (the composer), the later is the one who went freelance. Me monster.
JustAnotherOtaku
Sounds good, will buy! :)
Pociask
(05-21-2012, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by GitarooMan

I really hope it's that too. Some linear vertical and horizontal platforming action with a whip and some challenging levels would be amazing.

This. Add in an unlockable cast of characters with varying weapons/subweapons/strengths/weaknesses. It was a good formula - why not use it again?
wsippel
Banned

Originally Posted by CaVaYeRo

I love Iga DSvanias. But this just makes sense to me...

http://www.gamereactor.es/media/10/i...ndo_241055.jpg

They should be developing it as a spin-off, right?

Mercury Steam and Nintendo seem to be rather close for some reason. Friends at Nintendo Ibérica?

EDIT: Isn't Mercury Steam also rumored to be working on Contra 3DS?

EDIT2: I'm slow.
Skilletor
Banned
The funny thing to me is that so many people think 2D = Metroidvania. As if that's the only way it could be done.

Give me something like Dracula X or CV1-4.
Relaxed Muscle

Originally Posted by dark10x

I thought Portrait of Ruin was on the right track but ultimately fell short. What I would like to see is a game with an open castle to explore (not too large, though) in which you visit individual stages designed in the style of old school Castlevania games (ala Dracula X).

Well OoE is more or less like that, smaller more linear stages and a shorter metroidvania castle.

Originally Posted by Skilletor

The funny thing to me is that so many people think 2D = Metroidvania. As if that's the only way it could be done.

Give me something like Dracula X or CV1-4.

Not the only way, but the right way to do it.
Criminal Upper
Banned
3DS system of forever confirmed.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thank you god! My 3ds prayers have been answered, and I now have a new most anticipated 3ds game, and #2 most anticipated game overall!
7threst
Reading the Lord of Shadows-hate is kinda depressing for me. I totally loved that game. So a 3DS game with a similar presentation sounds absolutely great to me. Too bad other people dislike that game. It is as if this game is already tainted with negativity even though we know nothing of the game yet.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(05-21-2012, 06:38 PM)

Because everything that has been leaked about this sounds dreadful. Cel-shaded like PoR's intro? Gross. IGA would've been a better choice, either another game with M2 or a new Metroidvania would've been nice.
Hiltz
(05-21-2012, 06:38 PM)
I'm not familiar with the Mercury team, but you guys seem to be dooming this game for a reason. Konami, what's going on with you?
kunonabi
(05-21-2012, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

They made Jericho and the fact that LoS was a barely decent GOW clone.

Pretty much this.
LeleSocho
(05-21-2012, 06:39 PM)
Good lord kill me, i don't want this to be true..... i prefer not having a Castlevania for the next 5 years instead of this...
good lord why why why why why

IGA where are you? :(
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(05-21-2012, 06:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Relaxed Muscle

Well OoE is more or less like that, smaller more linear stages and a shorter metroidvania castle.

True, it was kind of like that, but the actual level design simply wasn't as good as I would have hoped.
Foffy
Banned

Originally Posted by 7threst

Reading the Lord of Shadows-hate is kinda depressing for me. I totally loved that game. So a 3DS game with a similar presentation sounds absolutely great to me. Too bad other people dislike that game. It is as if this game is already tainted with negativity even though we know nothing of the game yet.

Lords was an okay Castlevania title but a pretty good action game. So, for Castlevania fans, there's a lot to not be happy with this decision. For one, knowing it's going to be set in the awful continuity of the reboot potentially confirms Dracula will not be the final boss again and that the new major antagonist is Satan of all fucking characters.
sphinx
the piano man
this brings me a step closer to buying a 3DS..

two more steps needed:

.- redesign
.- Etrian Odyssey 4 NTSC announcement
Mlatador
Banned
Simple...

NO IGA = NO BUY!

NOT 2D = NO BUY!
HyperHip
(05-21-2012, 06:41 PM)
Not a fan of LOS (especially the art style) but I'm up for seeing how they handle a 2d title. Here's hoping it runs above 15-20 fps.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, yeah, considering this should be in MS's hands now, I'll say it.

IWATA WAS RIGHT, WESTERN SUPPORT IS COMING!

Just like in the Adventure Time thread :lol
Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes, please.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(05-21-2012, 06:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Mpl90

Oh, yeah, considering this should be in MS's hands now, I'll say it.

IWATA WAS RIGHT, WESTERN SUPPORT IS COMING!

Just like in the Adventure Time thread :lol

So what you're saying is, 3DS is going to light the NPD charts on fire? :o
gondwana
(05-21-2012, 06:43 PM)
is this site even credible? i love how 95% of e3 rumors can be discredited by simply looking at the url. yeah, i'm sure some obscure dutch nintendo fansite is getting hot exclusives

that lord of shadow game looks wretched though. you know it's bad when people are pining for igavania's return
7threst

Originally Posted by Foffy

Lords was an okay Castlevania title but a pretty good action game. So, for Castlevania fans, there's a lot to not be happy with this decision. For one, knowing it's going to be set in the awful continuity of the reboot potentially confirms Dracula will not be the final boss again and that the new major antagonist is Satan of all fucking characters.

True, but one style of game doesn't rule out other kind of games within the same franchise right? I mean, the Castlevania timeline is already fucked up as it is. And who knows, maybe they do a reboot again? A sidestory/spin-off? Everything is possible I think.

Originally Posted by Mlatador

Simple...

NO IGA = NO BUY!

NOT 2D = NO BUY!

You might miss out on a great game...
LeleSocho

Originally Posted by Foffy

...also another missed occasion for the 1999 Castlevania.

SMH
jman2050

Originally Posted by dark10x

Dude, you literally just described Order of Ecclesia.

EDIT - Wait, sorry, was late on that.
Vyse The Legend
Wiser than thou
(05-21-2012, 06:45 PM)
Dear God, FUCK YES. Finally...