• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Zocano
Member
(10-28-2013, 06:54 AM)
Zocano's Avatar
Just got ending A. Yesssssssssssssssssss

1:45:XX something cause I don't remember the time. 18 deaths.

Sheeeeeit. (Ending A spoilers) That last level got so tense. It was my first time into the world and I had 11 lives going into it. Felt confident.

Walking into the boss room with 3 lives left and screwed up fairly quickly. But suddenly I went all nirvana in the fight and took almost no hits after going down to just my shield. Yesh.


Also somehow I don't have ending B? So I dunno how to get that at all.
TnK
Member
(10-28-2013, 07:10 AM)
TnK's Avatar
For the third boss, after he does the orb attack, how do I dodge his charge attack? The two charge attacks after the first have, I have to duck.
dmr87
Member
(10-28-2013, 07:50 AM)
dmr87's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

11 deaths, guess you didn't get the achievement for dying less than 10 times. :P

Also, F12 in Steam takes screenshots...

Got that achievement earlier, only had beat a level in under 4 minutes left which I did after I finished this last and final run, bashed my head against level 1 a few times.

I usually take screens with Afterburner but I didn't want to fiddle around and risk a game crash so I just used my phone, thanks for the tip though.

Originally Posted by TnK

For the third boss, after he does the orb attack, how do I dodge his charge attack? The two charge attacks after the first have, I have to duck.

I take it you mean the 'Grim Reaper', you just have to spear the wall and jump from there and over him, then duck in the middle.
TnK
Member
(10-28-2013, 08:31 AM)
TnK's Avatar
Will do. Thanks.
ArjanN
Member
(10-28-2013, 04:54 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zocano

Also somehow I don't have ending B? So I dunno how to get that at all.

Quoting the deveoper from the steam forum:

To get ending B:

Beat Fafnir at the end of the Tower level on the Path of the Valkyrie. All previous actions don't matter, including what levels you played and what you collected, as long as you defeat Fafnir after smashing in through a window, you are guaranteed to get Ending B or Ending A. Just don't do the requirements for Ending A after that point and you'll get B instead.

The quickest way to do this, as it hints in the Ending C drawings, is to go to World 5 on the Path of the Crystal (you can even warp there if you want), collect a warrior spirit and defeat the boss, then jump to the Valkyrie version of World 6 (where you climb up the outside), and kill Fafnir after smashing in his window.
hwateber
Member
(10-29-2013, 02:41 AM)
Thanks to the generous gblues, I finally picked up this game last night. Was going to wait for my backlog to clear up a bit and buy it during a steam sale but I bit the bullet.

This game is a humbling experience. I just finished my first run through of Dark Souls so I completely appreciate that this game forces you to actually learn the mechanics to make it through. Streamed it a bit on twitch last night to test out my bandwidth and there a really helpful fellow sitting in my chat and giving me tips.

Went to sleep after dying to the merman boss over and over, but I slept on it and I'm ready to go at it again after work.
Haunted
(10-29-2013, 02:47 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

Quoting the deveoper from the steam forum:

To get ending B:

Beat Fafnir at the end of the Tower level on the Path of the Valkyrie. All previous actions don't matter, including what levels you played and what you collected, as long as you defeat Fafnir after smashing in through a window, you are guaranteed to get Ending B or Ending A. Just don't do the requirements for Ending A after that point and you'll get B instead.

The quickest way to do this, as it hints in the Ending C drawings, is to go to World 5 on the Path of the Crystal (you can even warp there if you want), collect a warrior spirit and defeat the boss, then jump to the Valkyrie version of World 6 (where you climb up the outside), and kill Fafnir after smashing in his window.

Interesting. I think that's what I'll be going for next since I kinda hit a wall beating World 2 on the Valkyrie Path. Some of these configurations... goddamn you Rubikant.
TnK
Member
(10-29-2013, 12:05 PM)
TnK's Avatar
Are most boss difficulties the same? Till now, there is no boss with really hard to dodge moves (stage 3).
AcceptableGhost
Member
(10-29-2013, 06:04 PM)
AcceptableGhost's Avatar

Originally Posted by TnK

Are most boss difficulties the same? Till now, there is no boss with really hard to dodge moves (stage 3).

they are all push overs. the last bosses (world 6 & 7) are a little more complex but still not difficult by any stretch of the imagination.
ArjanN
Member
(10-29-2013, 08:21 PM)
ArjanN's Avatar
The second boss is harder in the Valkyrie path as you start in the water but on the upside you don't have to fight the 6th boss, as you can surprise 1 hit kill him before he can transform.
AcceptableGhost
Member
(10-29-2013, 08:47 PM)
AcceptableGhost's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArjanN

The second boss is harder in the Valkyrie path as you start in the water but on the upside you don't have to fight the 6th boss, as you can surprise 1 hit kill him before he can transform.

You can jump up to the platform before the second boss aggros if you just stop immediately once your inside the room and jump up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...hIdYP2rg#t=580
Jtwo
Member
(10-30-2013, 06:43 AM)
Jtwo's Avatar
Holy freaking crap. Just best the first boss. Such a rush, finished him volgarr fully armored up too!

So what is the little spirit thing you get when you open a chest fully maxed out with thors blessing? You see like a spirit rise out of volgarr and then in the right it says "x1" for a second before the HUD fades away.
TnK
Member
(10-30-2013, 10:02 AM)
TnK's Avatar

Originally Posted by MTMBStudios

they are all push overs. the last bosses (world 6 & 7) are a little more complex but still not difficult by any stretch of the imagination.

This is really good to hear. I am usually in favor for harder bosses, but in this game, I don't want to face harder bosses due to a lack of a checkpoint before them.

Originally Posted by Jtwo

Holy freaking crap. Just best the first boss. Such a rush, finished him volgarr fully armored up too!

So what is the little spirit thing you get when you open a chest fully maxed out with thors blessing? You see like a spirit rise out of volgarr and then in the right it says "x1" for a second before the HUD fades away.

Like they mentioned here before, they are lives for the alternate valkyrie path.
TnK
Member
(11-05-2013, 09:18 PM)
TnK's Avatar
Bump: I beat the game and got ending C. For the Valkyrie path, do I need to replay the first stage over again every time? Because that gets quite tedious, and boring.
AcceptableGhost
Member
(11-06-2013, 12:02 AM)
AcceptableGhost's Avatar

Originally Posted by TnK

Bump: I beat the game and got ending C. For the Valkyrie path, do I need to replay the first stage over again every time? Because that gets quite tedious, and boring.

The point of Valkyrie is to treat the entire game largely as a single segment (not a world, not a checkpoint). If you have no interest in mastery over the game (the entire game, not a checkpoint) then stay away. Any single world probably takes 3-4 minutes though once you are able to keep your powerups, and the total length of the game on average is probably about 30 minutes.
JEKKI
Member
(11-16-2013, 08:33 AM)
JEKKI's Avatar
goin HAM on this final stage!!!



lol but yah, finally jumped back into this game to get ending A,

and it's a success!!!

what a fantastic game!
Ziophaelin
Junior Member
(11-27-2013, 08:22 PM)
Ziophaelin's Avatar
WOOO the game is on sale! http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240

Grats to everyone that has finished it since I haven't popped in here for awhile. :)
Ziophaelin
Junior Member
(11-28-2013, 01:26 AM)
Ziophaelin's Avatar
I was just informed by Valve that the Steam Trading Cards for Volgarr the Viking are now live for you all to enjoy as well. Have fun!
ArynCrinn
Banned
(11-30-2013, 12:25 PM)
Just wanna say, I love this fucking game, and will probably be trying to take the speedrun WR (using Path of the Valkyrie) in the next week. The current WR has a few holes in it strat-wise and they make a few mistakes, so I'm confident I can pull it off in 100 tries or so. :P
mannerbot
Member
(12-04-2013, 02:17 AM)
mannerbot's Avatar
Haven't enjoyed a game this much since I 100%ed Spelunky, and I'm only an hour in (and have only beaten the first level...). Great game!

edit: ok I beat it now with C+ ending, I think I know how to get ending A and that probably won't be happening anytime soon. Guess I'll look up how to get ending B.
mannerbot
Member
(12-09-2013, 06:49 AM)
mannerbot's Avatar
Made it to ending A last boss with 8 lives, game freezes. GG!
AcceptableGhost
Member
(12-10-2013, 01:09 AM)
AcceptableGhost's Avatar

Originally Posted by mannerbot

Made it to ending A last boss with 8 lives, game freezes. GG!

well if you can make it to it once you can probably do it again!
mannerbot
Member
(12-10-2013, 01:13 AM)
mannerbot's Avatar

Originally Posted by MTMBStudios

well if you can make it to it once you can probably do it again!

Yeah, I went from thinking I'd never ever be able to get ending A to fully knowing that I'm capable of doing it and feeling like the game is easy as pie now (lol). Just a huge letdown since I was streaming it for a friend and would've been assured at least ending B even if I failed, but wound up not even seeing what the final boss does. Will slay him sometime this week though!

edit: OK, 100%ed the game now. Valk path is surprisingly generous, went into the last boss fight with max lives playing very very far from optimally. Anyway, fantastic game, will day 1 Crazy Viking's next game.
Ziophaelin
Junior Member
(12-18-2013, 12:22 AM)
Ziophaelin's Avatar
Volgarr is up for Best Platformer of 2013 on Destructoid if anyone is interested in checking that out! We are with some pretty effin' amazing company there! Extremely honored.
Riposte
Member
(01-08-2014, 03:12 AM)
Riposte's Avatar
I don't think soundtrack as released on bandcamp (and what every YouTube video uses) is the actual soundtrack in the game. IDK, it sounds a little too high quality. I could be wrong. Any gamerips out there?
TnK
Member
(01-08-2014, 12:29 PM)
TnK's Avatar

Originally Posted by MTMBStudios

The point of Valkyrie is to treat the entire game largely as a single segment (not a world, not a checkpoint). If you have no interest in mastery over the game (the entire game, not a checkpoint) then stay away. Any single world probably takes 3-4 minutes though once you are able to keep your powerups, and the total length of the game on average is probably about 30 minutes.

So badically the game is similar to contra and such? Im in.
mannerbot
Member
(01-09-2014, 12:21 AM)
mannerbot's Avatar

Originally Posted by TnK

So badically the game is similar to contra and such? Im in.

Yes, it's an arcade action platformer and meant to be 1CCed.
manueldelalas
Time Traveler
(01-21-2015, 02:59 PM)
Bump.

Woa! This is one of my favorite games EVER. Just beat path C, now working on path B (which is done by skipping to world 5 and beating it with viking spirit things. not spoiling more).

Is there other game like this?

The level design is great, enemies are positioned like puzzles, every mistake is your fault, it makes you feel like a badass at all times. Awesome, thanks to the developers for making this game happen, seriously.

Edit: Ending B done! Now I have to work on ending A, a whole new game to me, because I've never beaten the special stages. Basically Volgarr 2.

Edit 2: Beaten it. It wasn't so bad once you learn the stages, I got to the final level with 16 lives. Great game.
Ape
Banned
(04-17-2015, 01:14 AM)
Why does the Xbox one version crash every time it goes into suspend mode? It's really frustrating when I'm in part 2 of a level and pause it. Can we assume there's not a fix on the way?
richi_one
Member
(04-30-2016, 10:19 PM)
It seems that the game disappeared from my list.
I "bought" it from the website as usual, now it seems that I have to pay to buy it.
I live in Italy, can someone check if I'm not the only one with this problem?
Thanks!
AEREC
Member
(10-14-2017, 05:03 AM)
AEREC's Avatar
Anyone get this on switch recently? Really digging it as a nice break from SDV sometimes.
Alastor3
Member
(10-14-2017, 05:28 AM)
Alastor3's Avatar

Originally Posted by AEREC

Anyone get this on switch recently? Really digging it as a nice break from SDV sometimes.

played it on PC, it's really nice! But I suck at it XD maybe i'll be better with a controler.

Thread Tools