(04-01-2013, 09:26 AM)
ooo that's a bad one.
tiggerkiddo
(04-01-2013, 09:47 AM)
That still hurts to watch...=/
MeBecomingI
(04-01-2013, 10:08 AM)
No. No. No. No.... No. No...

Ugh, that is brutal. I hope he has an incredible recovery and comes back better than ever.
donkey show
Little Big Dev
(04-01-2013, 10:21 AM)
Not the best thing to watch before eating breakfast. :S
Wellscha
(04-01-2013, 10:21 AM)
Courtesy of Grover Cleveland of the College Basketball OT:

Originally Posted by Grover Cleveland

Kevin Ware's injury may cost him his scholarship

Fuck the NCAA.

FalconSabre
(04-01-2013, 10:26 AM)
Saw this happen live earlier tonight. Just gruesome. Hope he can somehow recover completely and play basketball again in the future.
HalfBakedProphet
(04-01-2013, 10:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Wellscha

Courtesy of Grover Cleveland of the College Basketball OT:

Originally Posted by Grover Cleveland

Kevin Ware's injury may cost him his scholarship

Fuck the NCAA.

wow.

Total horseshit
BlazinAm
(04-01-2013, 11:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Femmeworth

That picture actually doesn't make me feel much of anything, it's kind of fascinating. I don't know how I got this desensitized.

You remind me of a female Eeyore.
IdreamofHIME
(04-01-2013, 11:26 AM)
OMG!!!!!

I was playing Rugby a few weeks back and a guy on the other team broke his leg, it was so fucking cold and with the shock he didn't realise and stood up putting his weight on his. Looked just like that guy when he fell down again.
15 mins later the ambulance came and he said he still couldn't feel any pain :(
akachan ningen
this tag has been removed due to terms of use violation
(04-01-2013, 11:36 AM)
he landed with his leg completely straight AND flat-footed. all his body weight on that one bone. what did he think was gonna happen? he tried to change direction in midair for no reason.
eravulgaris
(04-01-2013, 11:36 AM)
Wow.
Takuan
(04-01-2013, 11:38 AM)

Originally Posted by akachan ningen

he landed with his leg completely straight AND flat-footed. all his body weight on that one bone. what did he think was gonna happen? he tried to change direction in midair for no reason.

Pretty sure he was focused on disrupting the guy's shot.

This is worse than the Livingston injury, cripes. I watched the video but didn't notice that the bone had pierced through his leg. Yiiikes.
Orayn
(04-01-2013, 11:42 AM)
A friend of mine got a similar-looking compound fracture in his arm in high school football. Apparently there was a surreal couple of seconds immediately after it happened where he looked at his arm and just thought he wad bending his wrist... Until he realized that the bend was in the middle of his forearm, saw the exposed bone, and became aware of everything all at once. Athletic injuries can be pretty grisly stuff.
giga
(04-01-2013, 11:46 AM)

What. He was trying to block the guy's shot and had to jump really high from a distance because he was late.
Triple U
Banned
(04-01-2013, 11:48 AM)

dude
HiiiLife
(04-01-2013, 11:57 AM)

Don't be that guy.
tarius1210
(04-01-2013, 12:05 PM)

Originally Posted by HalfBakedProphet

yup.

Plus Theismann was 36, its not like he got cut down in his prime

His leg broke in the middle of the shin. No joints were affected so it really shouldn't affect his game.
MIMIC
Why won't homeless people take my money????????
(04-01-2013, 12:12 PM)
Heard on the news that the doctors expect him to be back on the court in 6 months.

Excellent news.
HalfBakedProphet
(04-01-2013, 12:37 PM)

Originally Posted by tarius1210

His leg broke in the middle of the shin. No joints were affected so it really shouldn't affect his game.

his broken leg didn't heal properly and ended up shorter than the other. Makes it difficult to run away from 300 lb D-lineman, ya know?
BREAKING_BADger
(04-01-2013, 12:47 PM)
reminds me of this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oS-wijki-B0
sonicfan
Venerable Member
(04-01-2013, 12:51 PM)
As long as there is not infection as people say, and all the bone pieces go back together properly, and there is there not any nerve and blood vessel damage, it is probably not as bad as blowing out knee. It certainly looks far far worse than many knee injuries, but I would say knee injuries are more likely to be career ending.

Now having said that, today's medicine is mind blowingly good compared to 20 or 30 years ago with knees. Injuries in the old days where you just hoped you could walk around somewhat normal again someday, people come back and play football and basketball at the highest level. I say this having torn the cartilage in my knee in the 1970s, and watching our quarterback in High School go down in a big pile about 20 feet right in front of me and totally blow out his knee, and never play any sort of sport again. The scars he had after the surgery were like two sets of train tracks up and down each side of his knee. This stuff today still blows my mind...
Khalifa Jayy
aka RJNavarrete
(04-01-2013, 03:15 PM)

Originally Posted by MIMIC

Heard on the news that the doctors expect him to be back on the court in 6 months.

Excellent news.

The human body is fucking crazy...
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(04-01-2013, 03:31 PM)
Saw this live, the reactions were crazy. That bench gif says it all. The announcers at first said something like "oh my, something is dislocated" and then they showed it for a split-second before they realized it wasn't a dislocation.

Props to the trainer who covered it quick.

Initially I thought there had been a 3 way collision because his two teammates were laying on the court. Upon seeing the replay I realize why they were laying on the court.
Delicious Waffles
(04-01-2013, 03:33 PM)
This was the talk of my Easter family get together.

Hope he'll be okay down the road.
Lonestar
(04-01-2013, 03:45 PM)
That's as bad as the Prothro injury (who's surgery supposedly "went fine" as well, until it didn't, and he had to have multiple surgeries, ended up with a shorter leg, and never played again.)

Worst to me, is still that Houston WR breaking his leg (just as grizzly) on a band cart in the back of the endzone. The added "Not a freak accident, but dammit, that looks really bad" factor is what lifts it to #1 for me.
Cubsfan23
Banned
(04-01-2013, 03:50 PM)
dude will make a fast recovery, I guarantee it.
CrankyJay
(04-01-2013, 03:52 PM)
I don't understand how this happens from jumping and landing...was the floor slick from sweat or did his body carry momentum while his foot was planted?
Brinbe
(04-01-2013, 03:55 PM)
Theismann and Sid Vicious were brutal, but the bone jutting out like that is really as graphic as I've ever seen. Damn.
The Mana Legend
Banned
(04-01-2013, 03:57 PM)
After seeing that UFC fighter snap his shin in half, this doesn't seem nearly as bad.
RedNalgene
(04-01-2013, 04:03 PM)
One of the worst injuries I've ever seen live. Hope the guy has a speedy recovery.
Ra\/en
(04-01-2013, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Lonestar

That's as bad as the Prothro injury (who's surgery supposedly "went fine" as well, until it didn't, and he had to have multiple surgeries, ended up with a shorter leg, and never played again.)

Worst to me, is still that Houston WR breaking his leg (just as grizzly) on a band cart in the back of the endzone. The added "Not a freak accident, but dammit, that looks really bad" factor is what lifts it to #1 for me.

The slow motion smack into the cart really shows the impact well... Looks like he busted at least 1 or 2 things there. OUCH!

I've been in med school for over 2 years, and the only lecture that really made me sick to my stomach and feeling like I wanted to leave the room was our orthopedic trauma lecture. Something about those compound fractures!
Last edited by Ra\/en; 04-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Angry Fork
Spelling is Hard
(04-01-2013, 04:13 PM)
I can't believe someone can be able to play or even walk again after that kind of injury, surely not as good as he once was? The fucking bone is literally out of his skin/body, how the hell do they put it back together? The human body + medical science is amazing, but holy shit that is horrible.

I imagine there's a dramatic amount of mental recovery needed also, maybe he'll be hesitant to play rough for fear of damage.
Lion Heart
(04-01-2013, 04:16 PM)
Ever since I saw Sid Viscous have a similar injury years ago, I've always been afraid that this will one day happen to me. I mean, as a kid you use to jump off relatively high places and land awkwardly all the time, its a wonder how our legs don't snap in half like that.
Majine
(04-01-2013, 04:19 PM)
Oh snap.
shanshan310
(04-01-2013, 04:25 PM)
D: D: D: D: D:

man though, watching that video I really wish everyone would stop cheering. I know they are trying to give him support but when you're in that much pain you need peace and quiet.
Derrick01
Banned
(04-01-2013, 04:26 PM)
I still refuse to watch the actual injury, I don't think I could take it. I know if I was on the court and saw it happen I would have easily vomited.
BankaiZaraki
Banned
(04-01-2013, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Majine

Oh snap.

Bad taste man.

that injury made me flinch.
Subitai
(04-01-2013, 04:29 PM)
Real life Chong Li from Bloodsport damage. Never thought I'd see something like that for real.
FinKL
(04-01-2013, 04:32 PM)
I went to bed last night after zooming in on that picture link.

I woke up with the image burned in my head. It's really bad from a viewer's point of view because we're not used to seeing such things. With the surgery already a success, the biggest concern was infection.
Khalifa Jayy
aka RJNavarrete
(04-01-2013, 04:33 PM)

Originally Posted by The Mana Legend

After seeing that UFC fighter snap his shin in half, this doesn't seem nearly as bad.

Wut? This is the same thing but with the bone actually sticking out... How is his not "nearly as bad" my man?
Blake'sGrave
(04-01-2013, 04:35 PM)
here goes nothing....

edit: AHHH WHAT THE FUCK
jmdajr
(04-01-2013, 04:36 PM)
I broke my arm in half playing basketball.

Yeah, it sucked.

Poor guy, at least I was able to walk away.
Hightower
Banned
(04-01-2013, 04:38 PM)
As a taller guy myself, I worry about this. I'm 6 ft 8, about 300lbs (yes, I'm a big boy) and an awkward landing could result in a TON of pain.

I watched the video this morning and it was just INTENSE.
Karl2177
(04-01-2013, 04:38 PM)

His teammates brought him the NCAA trophy from the game. According to CBS, he's expected to make a full recovery.
Skilotonn
xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
(04-01-2013, 04:41 PM)
I'm surprised that this thread came up that much later than the incident - even CNN had it up, which was how I found out about it. They didn't show the leg at all, but the reactions from everyone said plenty enough.
Jibbajabbawockky
(04-01-2013, 04:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Hellix

Youtube Clint Malarchuk accident (at your own risk). This is why I think hockey is one of the riskiest sports to play, despite how uncommon these accidents may be.

Yup, or Richard Zednik's throat injury from several years ago. The Ware injury is horrific but in the case of Malarchuk and Zednik it looked like those guys were literally bleeding out and dying right in front of you. That's really scary.

As horrific and graphic as Ware's injury was, its probably an easier thing to recover from than if he blew out his knee or tore up ligaments in his leg. Just such a freak accident though- just jumping up and coming down only to have your leg just literally snap like a twig. Scary.
The Mana Legend
Banned
(04-01-2013, 04:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Khalifa Jayy

Wut? This is the same thing but with the bone actually sticking out... How is his not "nearly as bad" my man?

Much closer up in the UFC fight, and seeing it wiggle around like that, and then having him try to step on it afterwards was way worse to me.
Snkfanatic
(04-01-2013, 04:52 PM)
Poor guy, I really hope he recovers fully. I can barely watch that video. Yessh
TheNatural
My Member!
(04-01-2013, 05:05 PM)
He's already on crutches baby.

Get well soon big man. Cards are taking it home for you.
The Mana Legend
Banned
(04-01-2013, 05:07 PM)
Get well soon, Omar Epps.