• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

B.O.O.M
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:10 AM)
B.O.O.M's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalsaShark



c'mon man. Just say it's a ripoff and that it doesnt necesarelly means it's a bad thing, dont fight the stupid fight.

I consider the term ripoff only if the idea is copied 100% or close to it. IF all companies didn't borrow ideas and concepts from others, this industry would be so boring and dead.

meh but I think you are right. It's a stupid fight. I'm done with this thread
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:10 AM)
Drago's Avatar

Originally Posted by VegaNine

You too?

Yeah, probably ;p

This thread is all kinds of stupid from both sides of the argument and tbh the thread should have ended 600+ posts ago

Just looking at the last page is all kinds of hilarity
iceatcs
Junior Member
(08-06-2012, 01:11 AM)
iceatcs's Avatar
heh, he lost his mind.
blixa
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by thepotatoman

Sigh, does anyone read anymore. This isn't an issue of symantics. It's an issue of should this game be completely written off because of it and should the creators be ashamed because they "tossed their morals away".

But fine, build that strawman if you want.

i don't think anyone would write it off if they were interested in it to begin with..
even if they state otherwise.
rip-off/inspiration/copy/whatever.
Risette
A Good Citizen
(08-06-2012, 01:13 AM)
Risette's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fancy Corndog

Honestly, absolutely everything about this thread is juvenile. I'm embarrassed for even biting.

Juvenile like the girl in your avatar? :D
TheBaronOfNA
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:13 AM)
The post in question I'm referring:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=930

Originally Posted by Forever

In other news, I find it endlessly amusing that the other thread has now transformed exclusively into a support group for the butthurt to console each other after that smackdown from The King.


Yeah, I feel dirty for being in this thread
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
lapdance transform pants
(08-06-2012, 01:13 AM)
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew's Avatar
Those that have played the game knows how awesome it is. Those that haven't can complain about it being a ripoff all day long.

Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I try not to pay attention unless someone has tried it. I'm sure he has played it; if he hasn't then whatever man!
VegaNine
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:13 AM)
VegaNine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

... What... what similar games...? If there's a similar game to P-100, I want to play it right now.

From an earlier thread:

Originally Posted by Neiteio

Very well then! So for now, when we crack open the GAF dictionary and look up P-100:

P-100 is Little King's Story, minus the simulation aspects, plus the style of Viewtiful Joe, the combat of Okami, the boss battles and setpieces of Bayonetta, the squad control of Pikmin, and a setting reminiscent of Earthbound with the residential insanity of Zombies Ate My Neighbor, channeling Voltron and War of the Worlds with a pinch of platforming, puzzle-solving, Pilotwings hang-gliding and Four Swords gamepad-to-TV connectivity.

Darknessbear
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:14 AM)
Darknessbear's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.O.O.M

I consider the term ripoff only if the idea is copied 100% or close to it. IF all companies didn't borrow ideas and concepts from others, this industry would be so boring and dead.

meh but I think you are right. It's a stupid fight. I'm done with this thread

You can borrow ideas/concepts as long it isn't from a Nintendo game. Then you are just a soulless company that hates kittens and wants to destroy gaming.
Neat Machine
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:14 AM)
Neat Machine's Avatar

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

Juvenile like the girl in your avatar? :D

I'm not sure if you posted this to make my point or what, but this avatar was "given" to me by a very generous mod lol.
wrowa
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:14 AM)
wrowa's Avatar
I really, honestly don't understand for the life of me how Kamiya's tweets warrant a more than thousand posts long thread.

You might think that he did something actually, you know, outrageous instead of simply voicing his opinion to a matter that's probably completely irrelevant to him. Many people on here seem to give more shits than he himself.

I'm feeling like I stepped right into bizarro land.
Holy Order Sol
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:16 AM)
seriously though Kamiya needs to get into rapping or some shit
Neat Machine
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:16 AM)
Neat Machine's Avatar

Originally Posted by wrowa

I really, honestly don't understand for the life of me how Kamiya's tweets warrant a more than thousand posts long thread.

You might think that he did something actually, you know, outrageous instead of simply voicing his opinion to a matter that's probably completely irrelevant to him. Many people on here seem to give more shits than he himself.

I'm feeling like I stepped right into bizarro land.

thisisneogaf.gif
blixa
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:17 AM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

I really, honestly don't understand for the life of me how Kamiya's tweets warrant a more than thousand posts long thread.

You might think that he did something actually, you know, outrageous instead of simply voicing his opinion to a matter that's probably completely irrelevant to him. Many people on here seem to give more shits than he himself.

I'm feeling like I stepped right into bizarro land.

don't enter?
so far it has been a pretty good discussion.
how is that a problem?
TheBaronOfNA
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:17 AM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

I really, honestly don't understand for the life of me how Kamiya's tweets warrant a more than thousand posts long thread.

You might think that he did something actually, you know, outrageous instead of simply voicing his opinion to a matter that's probably completely irrelevant to him. Many people on here seem to give more shits than he himself.

I'm feeling like I stepped right into bizarro land.


Is kind of bad PR specially when he mentions "Rip Off is morally wrong" in a industry build of it (and with one of his games "inspired" by other famous Nintendo series)
Salsa
~Formerly SalsaShark~
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(08-06-2012, 01:18 AM)
Salsa's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

... What... what similar games...? If there's a similar game to P-100, I want to play it right now.

yeah this:



is as similar to this




as this:



is to this:



didnt you hear
zroid
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:18 AM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by VegaNine

From an earlier thread:

I think you're using that post in the wrong context. It's an example of how original it is, not how derivative. When you need to pull up a list of a dozen games just to describe something, it's evidence that it's difficult to explain (because it doesn't ape anything specific), not that it's borrowing ideas.
Roto13
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:19 AM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by VegaNine

From an earlier thread:

That's a... stretch.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(08-06-2012, 01:21 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.O.O.M

Nope you're (I'm taking your word for it) butt hurt because it's done by sony. Mascot brawlers shouldn't be something extremely rare. As I see it the Nintendo fans who are butt hurt (not all mind you. some have an open enough mind to play the game to see the differences ..or at least read up on it) are butt hurt because it's one of the few unique (comparing first party games across console makers here) games that Nintendo has. That's the sad reality. If anyone else, did this, such reactions won't exist.

Isn't it sad? If you are truly a fan of such games you should welcome additions like these. same genre but different experiences.

No Im butt hurt because its a rip off like I said. Other brawlers do not rip off. Psasbr has moves that are exactly the same. That is a ripoff. I know why the fuck im butt hurt lol. Before the game was shown off I thought it was doing some power stone type shit but nah..Its a super lame bros.
VegaNine
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:23 AM)
VegaNine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

That's a... stretch.

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

I think you're using that post in the wrong context. It's an example of how original it is, not how derivative. When you need to pull up a list of a dozen games just to describe something, it's evidence that it's difficult to explain (because it doesn't ape anything specific), not that it's borrowing ideas.

That's the point I'm making... I think I helped construct that post ;)
Mihael Mello Keehl
(08-06-2012, 01:23 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalsaShark

yeah this:

I mean is that not pikachu in the bottom right hand corner or what?
lunchwithyuzo
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Darknessbear

You can borrow ideas/concepts as long it isn't from a Nintendo game. Then you are just a soulless company that hates kittens and wants to destroy gaming.

Tell that to Forza and Killzone.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(08-06-2012, 01:23 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

No Im butt hurt because its a rip off like I said. Other brawlers do not rip off. Psasbr has moves that are exactly the same. That is a ripoff. I know why the fuck im butt hurt lol. Before the game was shown off I thought it was doing some power stone type shit but nah..Its a super lame bros.

I keep seeing Smash Bros, but honestly, it looks closer to this game.
zroid
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:24 AM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by VegaNine

That's the point I'm making... I think I helped construct that post ;)

Aahhh :P
TheBaronOfNA
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

I think you're using that post in the wrong context. It's an example of how original it is, not how derivative. When you need to pull up a list of a dozen games just to describe something, it's evidence that it's difficult to explain (because it doesn't ape anything specific), not that it's borrowing ideas.

But I don't think is something bad about borrowing ideas, specially when you are actually adjusting it or 'evolving' it to be its own thing.

At least that is the impression I get from Allstars Beta Thread.

Is a rip off, but I don't think is automatically bad as Kamiya kind of implies.
Salsa
~Formerly SalsaShark~
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(08-06-2012, 01:26 AM)
Salsa's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

I mean is that not pikachu in the bottom right hand corner or what?

omg it's B+down!
-GJ-
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:26 AM)
-GJ-'s Avatar
A friend asked me to post this:

SmithnCo
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:26 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

I mean is that not pikachu in the bottom right hand corner or what?

That is the character spawning, not an actual move. -_-
Metalmurphy
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:26 AM)
Metalmurphy's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchwithyuzo

Tell that to Forza and Killzone.

Killzone? What game exactly is Killzone ripping off?



Originally Posted by shintoki

I keep seeing Smash Bros, but honestly, it looks closer to this game.

Omg, how tasteless.
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:26 AM)
Drago's Avatar

Originally Posted by -GJ-

A friend asked me to post this:

You have a good friend

Also, 16+? :lol
Ploid 3.0
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:26 AM)
Ploid 3.0's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

I mean is that not pikachu in the bottom right hand corner or what?

That's fat princess dying because Sweet Tooth shot her with his level 3 robot suit. When you die it's indicated by that beam of auraish light. I'm thinking you are referring to that beam, since it looks like something Pika would have.
BeautifulMemory
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:27 AM)
BeautifulMemory's Avatar

Originally Posted by -GJ-

A friend asked me to post this:

Should be a NeoGAF Collector's Edition
Salsa
~Formerly SalsaShark~
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(08-06-2012, 01:27 AM)
Salsa's Avatar

Originally Posted by -GJ-

A friend asked me to post this:

the fuck what a terrible brain age ripoff
zroid
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:27 AM)
zroid's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheBaronOfNA

But I don't think is something bad about borrowing ideas, specially when you are actually adjusting it or 'evolving' it to be its own thing.

At least that is the impression I get from Allstars Beta Thread.

Is a rip off, but I don't think is automatically bad as Kamiya kind of implies.

Sorry, I wasn't really trying to get involved in the "rip-off" conversation, just responding to a post (incorrectly, as it turns out, lol). ;P
Neat Machine
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:28 AM)
Neat Machine's Avatar

Originally Posted by shintoki

I keep seeing Smash Bros, but honestly, it looks closer to this game.

It's not very much like that game at all lol. Maybe some of the 'supers'.
Mihael Mello Keehl
(08-06-2012, 01:28 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmithnCo

That is the character spawning, not an actual move. -_-

Oh it looks like it..pretty sure that move is in there regardless.
Huff
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:28 AM)
Huff's Avatar

Originally Posted by blixa

don't enter?
so far it has been a pretty good discussion.
how is that a problem?

Pretty good discussion? Lol
SmithnCo
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:29 AM)
SmithnCo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

Oh it looks like it..pretty sure that move is in there regardless.

It isn't.

Some moves are the same though. I mean, you punch and kick people in both games.
MYE
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:30 AM)
MYE's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.O.O.M

Nope you're (I'm taking your word for it) butt hurt because it's done by sony. Mascot brawlers shouldn't be something extremely rare. As I see it the Nintendo fans who are butt hurt (not all mind you. some have an open enough mind to play the game to see the differences ..or at least read up on it) are butt hurt because it's one of the few unique (comparing first party games across console makers here) games that Nintendo has. That's the sad reality. If anyone else, did this, such reactions won't exist.

Isn't it sad? If you are truly a fan of such games you should welcome additions like these. same genre but different experiences.

hahaha this thread is awesome
Salsa
~Formerly SalsaShark~
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(08-06-2012, 01:31 AM)
Salsa's Avatar

Originally Posted by SmithnCo

It isn't.

Some moves are the same though. I mean, you punch and kick people in both games.

yeah but do you "KRATOOOOOOOOOOS PUNCH!!" them?
madmaxx350
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:31 AM)
madmaxx350's Avatar
This game is going to sell shit loads just because of unwarranted bad press. I know i'm buying it :D
PhoReal
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:32 AM)
PhoReal's Avatar
You guys...
Figboy79
Aftershock LA
(08-06-2012, 01:33 AM)
Figboy79's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

I mean is that not pikachu in the bottom right hand corner or what?

Snicker. You're lack of knowledge about PBR is showing.

That's not an attack you're seeing. It's a character that just got killed by Fat Princess. EDIT: Actually, it's Fat Princess spawning back into the level after being killed, probably by that Sweet Tooth, who is using his level 3 mech transformation.

As someone who's played PBR at E3, and who is currently in the beta, and who is a huge Smash Bros fan, I can tell you that PBR is NOTHING like Smash Bros.

I love them both, and because they are both different. The similarities end at

1) Mascot brawler with up to 4 players
2) A relatively light-hearted, colorful visual aesthetic.

The combat systems of both are very, very different, and feel incredibly different once you spend more than a few minutes with the game.

There's no reason to get butthurt over it. Smash is awesome. So is PBR. Some people will prefer one, some will prefer the other, some will prefer both. I like both, but I'm basing my opinion on PBR off of an incomplete beta that I've been playing once a day for the past 10 days.

What are you basing your opinion of PBR on? Some videos? A few screenshots?

Trust me, after actually playing the game, watching game play videos of the game in action make a lot more sense to me. I can see what the players are trying to accomplish; the set ups, the combos, the AP/Super strategies. It's much more compelling to watch a match now that I have the context for it from my own experiences.

I say give the game a chance first, and for more than just a few matches. You will probably be surprised at how much it differs from Smash, and that doesn't make it bad either.

If it was a 1:1 copy, people will bitch. If it's not a 1:1 copy, people will bitch. It's a tough position SuperBot and Sony are in producing this game, but fortunately, the game speaks for itself to those who have given it a hands on play.
Last edited by Figboy79; 08-06-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Hyuga
Banned
(08-06-2012, 01:36 AM)
Hyuga's Avatar

Originally Posted by -GJ-

zroid
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:37 AM)
zroid's Avatar
Anyway, here's a good post to cap off this thread

Mihael Mello Keehl
(08-06-2012, 01:38 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar

Originally Posted by Figboy79

Snicker. You're lack of knowledge about PBR is showing.

That's not an attack you're seeing. It's a character that just got killed by Fat Princess.

As someone who's played PBR at E3, and who is currently in the beta, and who is a huge Smash Bros fan, I can tell you that PBR is NOTHING like Smash Bros.

I love them both, and because they are both different. The similarities end at

1) Mascot brawler with up to 4 players
2) A relatively light-hearted, colorful visual aesthetic.

The combat systems of both are very, very different, and feel incredibly different once you spend more than a few minutes with the game.

There's no reason to get butthurt over it. Smash is awesome. So is PBR. Some people will prefer one, some will prefer the other, some will prefer both. I like both, but I'm basing my opinion on PBR off of an incomplete beta that I've been playing once a day for the past 10 days.

What are you basing your opinion of PBR on? Some videos? A few screenshots?

Trust me, after actually playing the game, watching game play videos of the game in action make a lot more sense to me. I can see what the players are trying to accomplish; the set ups, the combos, the AP/Super strategies. It's much more compelling to watch a match now that I have the context for it from my own experiences.

I say give the game a chance first, and for more than just a few matches. You will probably be surprised at how much it differs from Smash, and that doesn't make it bad either.

If it was a 1:1 copy, people will bitch. If it's not a 1:1 copy, people will bitch. It's a tough position SuperBot and Sony are in producing this game, but fortunately, the game speaks for itself to those who have given it a hands on play.

You right I dont know that much about, but after watching trailers and gameplay I find it hard to call it unique and different.
Net_Wrecker
(08-06-2012, 01:38 AM)
Net_Wrecker's Avatar
Wow, this thread went from funny to misinformed in a hurry. The All Stars:SSB as Bayonetta:DMC argument is just.....wat

Everybody needs to take a chill pill.
VegaNine
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:38 AM)
VegaNine's Avatar

Originally Posted by madmaxx350

This game is going to sell shit loads just because of unwarranted bad press. I know i'm buying it :D

Indeed. This generation has taught us the selling-power of mindshare.

Originally Posted by Drago

This thread needs to be archived.

Seconded.
Last edited by VegaNine; 08-06-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Drago
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:39 AM)
Drago's Avatar
This thread needs to be archived
prwxv3
Member
(08-06-2012, 01:39 AM)
prwxv3's Avatar

Originally Posted by SalsaShark

yeah but do you "KRATOOOOOOOOOOS PUNCH!!" them?

He does do a mad face punch to the camera if he looses a match.

Thread Tools