• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

remist
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:52 PM)
remist's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cipherr

I dont really see it that way. I think people dont like this game being called a conceptual copy of Smash Brothers when it obviously is. I dont remember a million threads for Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing, Sega Allstars, or Segas Mascot tennis games or any of those. So Im not so sure the 'loldefensiveNtards' card works here. It seems like what drove the original thread on this, and this one also is people that dont want to cede that the game draws HEAVILY from Smash.

Except people(Kamiya) aren't just saying it copies certain concepts from smash brothers, they are saying it is a shameless immoral rip-off.
thepotatoman
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:53 PM)
thepotatoman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Satchel

It's obviously a rip off, but that shouldn't be his reason for not liking it should it? Otherwise he shouldn't like most games.

I know All Stars is more blatant than most, but still.

It's only blatant because, for some reason, Smash Bros has gone for 10 years without any of the "ripoffs" gaining any traction, until now.
Hot Coldman
Banned
(08-05-2012, 09:53 PM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Satchel

It's obviously a rip off, but that shouldn't be his reason for not liking it should it? Otherwise he shouldn't like most games.

He might like it if he were to play it, but he probably feels it's not worth supporting due to it being too much of a riff on Smash

Things you enjoy can be unworthy of your support for other, non-qualitative reasons. This is like the Chick-Fil-A of video games

"CRASHING THIS THREAD. NO SURVIVORS!"
xKilltheMx
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:53 PM)
xKilltheMx's Avatar

Originally Posted by thepotatoman

Who is doing that? Everyone I see here is saying yeah the concept started with smash bros, but they made it different enough to not say its morally despicable like some people are saying.

Not a single person is doing that. I haven't seen one. I myself admit it's inspired by SSB in almost every post in here. *shrugs*
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-05-2012, 09:53 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by vocab

No. Evangelion SSB was a ripoff.

Nah Evangelion was a Zambot ripoff :P

You guys should check out my Daitarn 3 thread. None of you guys go there :(

Originally Posted by thepotatoman

Who is doing that? Everyone I see here is saying yeah the concept started with smash bros, but they made it different enough to not say its morally despicable like some people are saying.

There are people in this thread denying it. Really, there's nothing wrong accepting the concepts being the same - it's the execution.
Beth Cyra
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:53 PM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

I don't think anyone would say that. I think the point being made is if you judge a lot of games on their surface you could say this is a rip off of this game. From what I've played of the demo, that surface level feeling of them just trying to copy Smash is wrong.

Bullshit.

There is nothing on the surface of P100 that is remotely similar to Pikmin outside of a group.

There are many, many surface level things between All Stars and it's even been pointed out that Sony hasn't been shy about it. It took all of .2 seconds for the Prez of Plat to shoot that shit down in an interview.
gaming_noob
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:53 PM)
gaming_noob's Avatar
This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.
Mr. Fix
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:54 PM)
Mr. Fix's Avatar
I think it's because the word, "rip-off" is generally seen as a negative thing.
Mileena
Banned
(08-05-2012, 09:54 PM)
Mileena's Avatar

Originally Posted by Net_Wrecker

And they can be fun!

True, just look at Darksiders :)
Satchel
Banned
(08-05-2012, 09:56 PM)
Satchel's Avatar

Originally Posted by thepotatoman

It's only blatant because, for some reason, Smash Bros has gone for 10 years without any of the "ripoffs" gaining any traction, until now.

I guess.

XBLA has Small Arms which is basically smash bros with permanent weapons.

It's ok-ish, but it's clear it's a smash rip off. But most people ignore XBLA and PSN when referring to games.
Metroid Hunter
Banned
(08-05-2012, 09:56 PM)

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

lol
Kusagari
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:56 PM)
Kusagari's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

Gorillaz
sober as a drunk judge
(08-05-2012, 09:57 PM)
Gorillaz's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

I don't know about all that but I hope it lits a fire under Nintendo to knock the next Smash Bros out of the park.
corporate cheerleader
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:57 PM)
corporate cheerleader's Avatar
Superbot promised us digital copies of the game if we defended PSASBR at all costs. Please don't hold a grudge. :(
Diablos54
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:57 PM)
Diablos54's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

Okaaaaay. Can you give me some of whatever you're smoking? Cause I'm out. :(
Man-is-Obsolete
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:57 PM)
Man-is-Obsolete's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Fix

I think it's because the word, "rip-off" is generally seen as a negative thing.

Correct rip off is usually a word used to take legal action for someone blatantly copying something and I think we can all agree (those that played it at least) there is a lot of differences here including how its even played to not be blatant copy in the literal sense of the word.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:58 PM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by thepotatoman

It's only blatant because, for some reason, Smash Bros has gone for 10 years without any of the "ripoffs" gaining any traction, until now.

There's been a few. Hudson made one. Even had Snake, I believe.

The reason it is a big deal now is because it is another first party so everyone is upset when the influences are stated.
Risette
A Good Citizen
(08-05-2012, 09:58 PM)
Risette's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man-is-Obsolete

Correct rip off is usually a word used to take legal action for someone blatantly copying something

Isn't that plagiarism

I don't think anyone here is claiming that.
Fabrik
Banned
(08-05-2012, 09:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Fix

I think it's because the word, "rip-off" is generally seen as a negative thing.

That's normal. A rip-off is never as good as the original.
Petrae
Member
(08-05-2012, 09:59 PM)
Petrae's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

That's one hearty prediction.

"Millions" over how long, might I ask? Q4? Over the first year?
Uno Venova
Banned
(08-05-2012, 09:59 PM)
Uno Venova's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Fix

I think it's because the word, "rip-off" is generally seen as a negative thing.

I think that's the feeling people want when they use the word.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(08-05-2012, 10:00 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

There's been a few. Hudson made one. Even had Snake, I believe.

The reason it is a big deal now is because it is another first party so everyone is upset when the influences are stated.

Nah it's relatively found... but most of them are in Japan only :(
JABEE
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:00 PM)
JABEE's Avatar

Originally Posted by TruePrime

Bullshit.

There is nothing on the surface of P100 that is remotely similar to Pikmin outside of a group.

There are many, many surface level things between All Stars and it's even been pointed out that Sony hasn't been shy about it. It took all of .2 seconds for the Prez of Plat to shoot that shit down in an interview.

That's a good point, but I think structured fighting games like Smash Brothers, PSABR, Street Fighter, MvsC follow many of the same surface level similarities as their peers. P-100 isn't a good example but almost any fighting game could be labeled as a "ripoff" if it applied to any game that used similar surface level interfaces.
timetokill
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:00 PM)
timetokill's Avatar
More Kamiya being awesome:

Cipherr
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:00 PM)
Cipherr's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

There's been a few. Hudson made one. Even had Snake, I believe.

The reason it is a big deal now is because it is another first party so everyone is upset when the influences are stated.

There was also that ninja turtles game too right? I remember seeing that and going, "that looks like smash". I think some of the people that worked on smash worked on it.

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:


LOL goddamn. Zero fucks given. So folks are going to use this to paint Kamiya a Nintendo Shill eh? Man thats weird.
Drago
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:00 PM)
Drago's Avatar

Originally Posted by corporate cheerleader

Superbot promised us digital copies of the game if we defended PSASBR at all costs. Please don't hold a grudge. :(

Your new avatar is wonderful
Sapphire Dreams
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:01 PM)
Sapphire Dreams's Avatar
Well I can't say he is wrong. Tell me this, will Playstation all stars even exist if Smash bros didn't?
toadster101
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:01 PM)

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:

Net_Wrecker
(08-05-2012, 10:02 PM)
Net_Wrecker's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:

How could you not love this? He's so great.
xKilltheMx
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:02 PM)
xKilltheMx's Avatar

Originally Posted by corporate cheerleader

Superbot promised us digital copies of the game if we defended PSASBR at all costs. Please don't hold a grudge. :(

I already have a code in my email. Dude did you get the preorder bonuses too?

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

Isn't that plagiarism

I don't think anyone here is claiming that.

That's pretty much what everybody is claiming.
TheBaronOfNA
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Dunk#7

Why does SSB get a pass to be the only game in the genre?
.

Because Nintendo something something and Charm something something.

I agree with Kamiya that is a Rip Off but not in "is no moral" part.

Is a Rip Off but it seems to be a decent one.
timetokill
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:02 PM)
timetokill's Avatar
Kamiya doesn't give a fuck about GAF:


...or about the game:
corporate cheerleader
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:03 PM)
corporate cheerleader's Avatar

Originally Posted by xKilltheMx

I already have a code in my email. Dude did you get the preorder bonuses too?

I haven't heard anything about that! Superbot is playing favorites, fuck this game I don't care anymore! >:(
Mileena
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:03 PM)
Mileena's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

That's a good point, but I think structured fighting games like Smash Brothers, PSABR, Street Fighter, MvsC follow many of the same surface level similarities as their peers. P-100 isn't a good example but almost any fighting game could be labeled as a "ripoff" if it applied to any game that used similar surface level interfaces.

yep, Skullgirls is so obviously a ripoff but it's made by Mike Z so nobody gave him shit for it.
TWILT
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:03 PM)

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:

Damn. :lol
Grecco
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:04 PM)
Grecco's Avatar

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.


LOL This is an amazing troll.
Cipherr
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:04 PM)
Cipherr's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

Kamiya doesn't give a fuck about GAF:


"Yeah well, Fuck you too neighbor!"
xKilltheMx
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:06 PM)
xKilltheMx's Avatar
The amount of fucks that Hideki gives is hilarious.
I respect the shit out of the man, even though I disagree on this one thing.
Hot Coldman
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:06 PM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar
:lol :lol :lol

Oh man. Kamiya.
TheBioLover
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:07 PM)
TheBioLover's Avatar

Originally Posted by xKilltheMx

The amount of fucks that Hideki gives is hilarious.
I respect the shit out of the man, even though I disagree on this one thing.

Same.

Even though I disagree with his view on PSASBR the replies he gives are fucking hilarious.
Unspeakable Evil
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:07 PM)
Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:

Originally Posted by timetokill

Kamiya doesn't give a fuck about GAF:


...or about the game:

He's swinging wild
JAYinHD
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:07 PM)
JAYinHD's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

Kamiya doesn't give a fuck about GAF:


...or about the game:

Kamiya doesn't pull any punches eh.
LiK
(08-05-2012, 10:08 PM)
LiK's Avatar
Kamiya doesn't give a shit and I'm loving it. XD
NoirVisage
Banned
(08-05-2012, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

Kamiya trying to secure dat Nintendo relationship.

Pretty much, but thats Okay, i also think he hate that DINO is in the game.
ffdgh
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

I won't deny the former but the latter is a bit extreme.
Spieler Eins
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:08 PM)
Spieler Eins's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:

Originally Posted by timetokill

Kamiya doesn't give a fuck about GAF:


...or about the game:

Originally Posted by timetokill

More Kamiya being awesome:

Originally Posted by timetokill

Kamiya doesn't give a fuck about GAF:


...or about the game:

Great stuff. I especially liked the school reply.
nullset2
Junior Member
(08-05-2012, 10:09 PM)
nullset2's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragonzord

Shouldn't be be working on his game? What's up with Japanese devs on Twitter all day

Those overpriced meals aren't gonna photograph themselves, brah!
Kusagari
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:09 PM)
Kusagari's Avatar
Hey PC master race:

Man-is-Obsolete
Member
(08-05-2012, 10:09 PM)
Man-is-Obsolete's Avatar

Originally Posted by JAYinHD

Kamiya doesn't pull any punches eh.

Which begs the question why waste his breath on a game he has no interest in and refuses to even play? Eh, whatever opinions everybody's got one yada yada yada.

Thread Tools