• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

cj_iwakura
(07-03-2012, 11:49 PM)
http://andriasang.com/con1ri/ps2_archive/

Along with other games I guess.

Sony will be expanding its "Game Archives" retro download service to include PlayStation 2 games shortly. The PlayStation 2 Archives service will begin on July 25 with five PlayStation 2 titles available for download to your PlayStation 3:

Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Capcom): 1,200
Kessen (Tecmo Koei): 1,500
Shin Contra (aka "Contra: Shattered Soldier," Konami): 1,200
Dragon Force (Sega): 800
Siren (Sony): 1,200

The lineup will be gradually expanded following the July 25 launch date, Sony said. New releases will appear once a month.

Future titles include:

Dead or Alive 2 Hard Core (Tecmo Koei): 1,500
Castlevania (Konami): 1,200
Dynamite Dekka (aka Die-Hard Arcade, Sega): 800
Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (Sega): 800
Dark Cloud (Sony): 1,200

Oh god I hope Victor Ireland knows about this.

Second chance, Vic!

Make Harsgalt proud.
Freedom = $1.05
Akimbo Dogs
(07-03-2012, 11:53 PM)
Dragon Force was the greatest game ever to make me hate my Saturn battery. Lost a 3 hour session thanks to it. One day, I'll finish a Dragon Force game and there will be much rejoicing to be had.
LowerLevel
(07-03-2012, 11:57 PM)
Ok, a newb question for PSN. Can I get in on some of that goodness in NA? You said bloody Dragon Force!
Loofy
(07-04-2012, 12:01 AM)
I dont think DF2 came out on PS2.. so that sucks it probably wont make it to PSN.
H_Prestige
Banned
(07-04-2012, 12:02 AM)

Originally Posted by LowerLevel

Ok, a newb question for PSN. Can I get in on some of that goodness in NA? You said bloody Dragon Force!

Yes. You need to make a JP account and get a JP psn point card.
Phonomezer
Banned
(07-04-2012, 12:03 AM)
I already have the Saturn version, is the PS2 version any different?
almostheathen
(07-04-2012, 12:04 AM)
My favorite Saturn game :D. I also never had a battery or memory expansion for the saturn so I always had to start over or keep the system on. Dragon Force runs great on the Saturn emulator (think it was SSF) if you still have your copy.
Hilbert
(07-04-2012, 12:05 AM)
Holy crap. Any chance of this coming to america? I just hooked up my saturn to play this and dark savior again.
Glix
(07-04-2012, 12:07 AM)
So I have never booted my Saturn copy. Am I a terrible person? Does it look okay on modern TV's? Is it worth hooking everything up and going for it?
LowerLevel

Originally Posted by H_Prestige

Yes. You need to make a JP account and get a JP psn point card.

My thanks!
bengraven
will fuck homely black hookers in the name of progress and tolerance
Damn, that's kind of hot. :(
Coxy
(07-04-2012, 12:10 AM)
Behold, the vast land of Legendra! Will buy this immediately but I'd desperately love an english release too, one of my favourite games ever and there really hasnt been much like it since
PepsimanVsJoe
(07-04-2012, 02:54 AM)
Dynamite Deka and the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box?
Already J-PSN has the better PS2 selection.

Looks like somebody is smiling down on me. Hopefully the Fantasy Zone collection is next.
Chacranajxy
(07-04-2012, 02:57 AM)
I wonder if the source code still exists for this game... I remember Vic Ireland saying on the Retronauts episode he was on a little while back that he was more careful about preserving that sort of stuff than just about anyone else at the time... would be kinda funny if he was the only dude who still had the original code.
Schobeleth
(07-04-2012, 03:00 AM)
Oh my gawd. I want this, in English, in the west :( NOW ;-;
Barakov
(07-04-2012, 03:02 AM)
AW YEAH. I will acquire some yens and buy this the day it hits.
Big Papa Husker
(07-04-2012, 03:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Chacranajxy

I wonder if the source code still exists for this game... I remember Vic Ireland saying on the Retronauts episode he was on a little while back that he was more careful about preserving that sort of stuff than just about anyone else at the time... would be kinda funny if he was the only dude who still had the original code.

I can't remember which game it was, but he said that he thinks he is the only one with English source code for the game.

The PS2 game was Goemon, but I think he had mentioned a Saturn game as well.
Last edited by Big Papa Husker; 07-04-2012 at 03:08 AM.
gundamkyoukai
(07-04-2012, 03:12 AM)
DF is one of my all time favorite games .
I really wish that i had some way to play DF2.
Ramune
(07-04-2012, 03:25 AM)
My rooommate (who never owned a Saturn) actually popped his copy of DF on me randomly one day. I need to sit down and learn how to play it as it was a bit overwhelming with no manual.
GoofsterStud
(07-04-2012, 03:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Glix

So I have never booted my Saturn copy. Am I a terrible person? Does it look okay on modern TV's? Is it worth hooking everything up and going for it?

Turn Sharpness to 0 if you have a high quality HD-TV. Also use the TV up-scaling.

:-) Still looks pixellated, but tolerable.
Tain
(07-04-2012, 03:28 AM)
So this is the Sega Ages Dragon Force?

Is it as comprehensive as other Sega Ages releases? As in, does it have the English text as an option?
cj_iwakura
(07-04-2012, 03:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Tain

Is it as comprehensive as other Sega Ages releases? As in, does it have the English text as an option?

Yes, not sure, no.

It has new scenarios and bosses. Paging Sixfortyfive, he's beaten it.

I've never played the Ages version, but I know it had updated(inferior IMO) artwork.

And for those wondering: Dragon Force II is not nearly as good.

It has its charms, though.

Pretty sure Vic passed on it because of how inferior it was.
Reticent Rhino
(07-04-2012, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Tain

Nope, there's no English text in the Sega Ages version.
JJD
(07-04-2012, 03:41 AM)
What? Wait, really??? REALLY???

I've been waiting this for years!!!!! Should I get my hopes up for a US release?
Coxy
(07-04-2012, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I've never played the Ages version, but I know it had updated(inferior IMO) artwork.

you can choose to use the old artwork if you like though
cj_iwakura
(07-04-2012, 03:42 AM)

Originally Posted by JJD

What? Wait, really??? REALLY???

I've been waiting this for years!!!!! Should I get my hopes up for a US release?

Waiting on vireland to answer that. He's teased the possibility of localized PSN games before.

Originally Posted by Coxy

you can choose to use the old artwork if you like though

SOLD.
SenEXunk
Banned
(07-04-2012, 03:48 AM)
I actually want the PS2 version of Code Veronica over the HD version.
CO_Andy
(07-04-2012, 03:49 AM)
Why didn't Vic's kickstarter money go toward localizing this :(
RiZ III
(07-04-2012, 04:10 AM)
Wish they'd release it here ...Fuuuuuuuuu >:[
Hours Left
(07-04-2012, 04:13 AM)
I want this game so badly. :(
GoofsterStud
(07-04-2012, 04:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Ramune

My rooommate (who never owned a Saturn) actually popped his copy of DF on me randomly one day. I need to sit down and learn how to play it as it was a bit overwhelming with no manual.

I just made this hope it helps:

Note: Mages aren't nearly as bad as it says. You don't need more then 20 mages. Let the mages sit and kill the opponents as they charge to you. Also casting spells that take a long time when they troops clash, and the mages will cast and be the only ones still attacking while you cast spells, giving them more time to kill the others before they go down. Close combat though, Mages are useless if you aren't casting a spell.

Also be aware that a:
Soldier = Soldier
Soldier Standing Still >> Soldier Charging
Last edited by GoofsterStud; 07-04-2012 at 04:21 AM.
cj_iwakura
(07-04-2012, 04:17 AM)
Worth noting that I did a Tradnor challenge run: no troop changes. Reinhart uses Mages.

They WRECKED Madruk.
Sixfortyfive
He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
(07-04-2012, 04:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Phonomezer

I already have the Saturn version, is the PS2 version any different?

Couple extra bosses (one of which is decently challenging), unlockable gallery, nice new artwork, bad new voice acting, all formerly generic officers now have somewhat unique sprites and a little more background info in their profiles to set them apart. Plays the same, minus the tweaks that WD added for the US Saturn version.
GoofsterStud
(07-04-2012, 09:40 AM)
What all did WD add?
encephalon
(07-04-2012, 09:56 AM)
Would this be the first PS2 classic to hit the Japanese store?
mao2
(07-04-2012, 10:22 AM)

Originally Posted by CLOUDsea

Would this be the first PS2 classic to hit the Japanese store?

Yeah, it'll be released together with Biohazard CV, Kessen, Shin Contra and Siren.
Canis lupus
(07-04-2012, 10:24 AM)
Why does Japan always get the good stuff.
encephalon
(07-04-2012, 10:25 AM)

Originally Posted by mao2

Yeah, it'll be released together with Biohazard CV, Kessen, Shin Contra and Siren.

Siren is going up? That's pretty cool. Hopefully it sells well enough that Sony considers a new game. And interesting that CV is going up, given the HD ver. If you don't mind the 4:3 ratio, it's probably better to buy that ver. ...

Originally Posted by TurkishEmperor

Why does Japan always get the good stuff.

They're missing some of the stuff we have, if it's any consolation. No Odin Sphere, for example.
omenaa
(07-04-2012, 11:09 AM)
Is there someting wrong with the Code: Veronica HD?
AgentOtaku
(07-04-2012, 11:19 AM)
wuved this so much on mah Saturn
Katana_Strikes
(07-04-2012, 11:47 AM)
OMG I'd pay twice the price for this to be released in the West.

Somebody... anybody...
cj_iwakura
(07-04-2012, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by GoofsterStud

What all did WD add?

A badass end credit theme and John Truitt narration, among other things.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(07-04-2012, 11:49 PM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

Guess i'll keep searching for a decent priced complete Saturn NA version.
Sixfortyfive
(07-05-2012, 01:11 AM)
I like the art in the PS2 version a lot, but there's no point in picking it up unless you can either read Japanese or are already intimately familiar with the original game.
defectivelasagna
(07-05-2012, 07:07 AM)
Any veterans of this game? I've just started the game but there's no tutorial whatsoever. how do you level up in the game? I've also read about the captive level up method. but i've no idea. would appreciate any help
cj_iwakura
(07-05-2012, 07:19 AM)

Originally Posted by defectivelasagna

Any veterans of this game? I've just started the game but there's no tutorial whatsoever. how do you level up in the game? I've also read about the captive level up method. but i've no idea. would appreciate any help

Win battles. Also stay in one castle and continue to fight invaders, that helps too.
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(07-05-2012, 07:20 AM)

Originally Posted by CLOUDsea

And interesting that CV is going up, given the HD ver. If you don't mind the 4:3 ratio, it's probably better to buy that ver. ...

And people thought FFVII PC was redundant...
Ramune
(07-05-2012, 07:46 AM)

Originally Posted by GoofsterStud

I just made this hope it helps:

Note: Mages aren't nearly as bad as it says. You don't need more then 20 mages. Let the mages sit and kill the opponents as they charge to you. Also casting spells that take a long time when they troops clash, and the mages will cast and be the only ones still attacking while you cast spells, giving them more time to kill the others before they go down. Close combat though, Mages are useless if you aren't casting a spell.

Also be aware that a:
Soldier = Soldier
Soldier Standing Still >> Soldier Charging

Thanks, I'll give this chart a shot. (I know your Banned, but giving thanks to where it's due anyway!)
Sixfortyfive
(07-05-2012, 07:57 AM)

Originally Posted by defectivelasagna

Easiest way to level up is to just beat the shit out of the rest of the continent (duh). Actually KOing opposing officers is what nets you the largest EXP; if they manage to escape you should chase after them as quickly as possible before they can get away completely so that you can actually KO and capture them. Also, if you level grind anyone in your army, the rest of the continent that isn't under your control will begin to slowly level up to catch up with you. I believe that if there's a gap of 3 or more levels between any of your officers and any of those not under your control, then the AI officers will gain 1 level per week automatically to catch up. This is actually useful if you want to "grind" levels for officers that you plan on converting to your side later (and is imperative if you want to have an easy time with the Tradnor kingdom's scenario).

Levels aren't actually that important for most officers. You get your 2nd magic spell at level 5 and your 3rd at level 10. Besides this, they're not that big of a deal. Being able to command larger armies is, though, so make sure as many of your officers get at least 1 win per week so that you can keep allotting them larger divisions. Generally, you should prioritize leveling up the members of the Dragon Force and any particularly "major" officers for your kingdom (typically the ones who get the most screentime in cutscenes and who have distinct sprites). They're usually a cut above the generic filler characters, the latter of whom you can often leave behind to defend/occupy castles that don't see much battles.
cj_iwakura
(08-29-2012, 02:55 AM)
It's out now! 800Y.

I need it. :(