• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(01-22-2012, 04:47 PM)
DrForester's Avatar

Originally Posted by Razorskin

Holy crap



What are the chances of this game getting a sequel?

It's Activision, so over 100%
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(01-22-2012, 04:54 PM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Razorskin

Holy crap



What are the chances of this game getting a sequel?

Sales were excellent, with one media source saying it was in the top 10 of sales all year.

It's definitely getting a sequel. I can only hope it's 1080p this time.
8bit
Knows the Score
(01-22-2012, 05:03 PM)
8bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I got one silver at a Walmart. My others came from Ebay.


Where do you live, and when are you usually out? My son is desperate for more figures and I can't find any these days for a reasonable price. I'm sure there's a restock on the horizon but try telling a 5 year old that.
Amir0x
Banned
(01-22-2012, 05:08 PM)
Amir0x's Avatar
omg @ Skylander vault. It's like a real version of the 40-year old virgins apartment or something
tw1164
Member
(01-22-2012, 05:12 PM)
tw1164's Avatar
I think it would be cool if they used superheroes (Marvel?) in the next "power portal" game.
Outtrigger888
Member
(01-22-2012, 05:13 PM)
Outtrigger888's Avatar

Originally Posted by 8bit

Where do you live, and when are you usually out? My son is desperate for more figures and I can't find any these days for a reasonable price. I'm sure there's a restock on the horizon but try telling a 5 year old that.

I found figures at every store I looked at this week besides Walmart, they seem to always be out. It seems stores are getting a shipment every week. I lucked out and found wave 3 stuff last Friday at target, the toys r us by me has been getting there shipments on wednesdays or thursdays, I'm sure its differnt for every store though.
Zing
Banned
(01-22-2012, 05:16 PM)
Zing's Avatar
EB/Gamestop seems to be the best chance for getting figures. They seem to have a constant stream of them arriving every few days.
SupaNaab
Member
(01-22-2012, 05:42 PM)
SupaNaab's Avatar
Gamemaster, your collection is amazing. Awesome pictures. Good luck in collecting everything.
darkjedi187
Member
(01-22-2012, 05:47 PM)
darkjedi187's Avatar
Gamemaster that's wild!
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-22-2012, 05:59 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by Amir0x

omg @ Skylander vault. It's like a real version of the 40-year old virgins apartment or something

You could look at it like that. Only I am much cooler than he is. I am 33 and have 3 kids, so no 40-year old virgin here.

Originally Posted by SupaNaab

Gamemaster, your collection is amazing. Awesome pictures. Good luck in collecting everything.

Thanks. It's part of my man cave. Other parts of my room are dedicated to characters like Mega Man X, Halo, Blue Dragon, Resident Evil, Castlevania and such.

Originally Posted by darkjedi187

Gamemaster that's wild!

Thanks.

To the person who asked where I live. I live in Oklahoma City. We have been seeing wave 3 pop up in droves. Infact, I have some extras for sale. I'm not a scalper, and anytime I help others find these things, I do so at a loss, because I don't care about the tax. That's what I've been doing as of late, finding figures for those less lucky to find them. I dislike scalpers and scalping, so I beat them to it, in order to help others.
Amir0x
Banned
(01-22-2012, 06:02 PM)
Amir0x's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

You could look at it like that. Only I am much cooler than he is. I am 33 and have 3 kids, so no 40-year old virgin here.

you should just be happy you locked that pussy up before you built your Skylander vault. Goddamn ;)
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-22-2012, 06:13 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar
You know, most girls have liked me just because I'm me. I don't usually flock to trends. I try and break them.

I was doing this before I started dating a cheerleader during my highschool days, and ever since I was a kid in general.

I don't think females are going to dog men who love gaming and decorate their man caves with gaming-related material.

I was usually dubbed the "cool-nerd." Not boasting, though. I tend to think more people are becoming open-minded about most things in life.
Amir0x
Banned
(01-22-2012, 06:14 PM)
Amir0x's Avatar
i was only being half-serious, dude, no need to explain to me. Do whatever makes you feel happy.
Thanati
Member
(01-22-2012, 06:25 PM)
Holy crap. That is an amazing collection! Makes my 8 toys look pathetic! :)
Emerson
May contain jokes =>
(01-22-2012, 06:44 PM)
Emerson's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

You could look at it like that. Only I am much cooler than he is. I am 33 and have 3 kids, so no 40-year old virgin here.



Thanks. It's part of my man cave. Other parts of my room are dedicated to characters like Mega Man X, Halo, Blue Dragon, Resident Evil, Castlevania and such.



Thanks.

To the person who asked where I live. I live in Oklahoma City. We have been seeing wave 3 pop up in droves. Infact, I have some extras for sale. I'm not a scalper, and anytime I help others find these things, I do so at a loss, because I don't care about the tax. That's what I've been doing as of late, finding figures for those less lucky to find them. I dislike scalpers and scalping, so I beat them to it, in order to help others.

When you say this, do you mean for sale here? All I need is a goddamn Stealth Elf and I can't find one for the life of me.
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-22-2012, 07:12 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by Emerson

When you say this, do you mean for sale here? All I need is a goddamn Stealth Elf and I can't find one for the life of me.

I just signed up here not too long ago. If being able to help people, by selling to them here, is allowed, then fine. I don't want to do anything that will get me in trouble, though, so only if it's allowed here.
Emerson
May contain jokes =>
(01-22-2012, 07:16 PM)
Emerson's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I just signed up here not too long ago. If being able to help people, by selling to them here, is allowed, then fine. I don't want to do anything that will get me in trouble, though, so only if it's allowed here.

Yeah, it's definitely allowed. There's even a dedicated buying/selling/trading thread floating around somewhere. But you don't have to use that.
Ken
Member
(01-22-2012, 07:19 PM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

.

Not a fan of the blue walls (that or it's the flash) but that's an awesome collection.
Bentendo
Member
(01-22-2012, 08:08 PM)
Bentendo's Avatar
My manager was none-to happy when the new wave of figurines came to our store and they sold out within a few hours. The spot on the wall that is reserved for the toys is going to be empty again for quite some time.

I love seeing Skylander fans come into the store and buy the stuff. They're older than me but they look like kids in a candy shop. Even though I've never played the game I know that feeling of being passionate about something.
Zing
Banned
(01-22-2012, 08:10 PM)
Zing's Avatar
May as well keep the Skylanders behind the counter with the Battlefields and Call of Duties at this point. Around here, people just call in and place "every Skylander you have" on hold and come pick them up 15 minutes later.
Bentendo
Member
(01-22-2012, 08:17 PM)
Bentendo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zing

May as well keep the Skylanders behind the counter with the Battlefields and Call of Duties at this point. Around here, people just call in and place "every Skylander you have" on hold and come pick them up 15 minutes later.

I don't receive too many calls about the figurines... it just seems that everyone somehow knows when we get them in. They suddenly come in droves and just consume all of the toys. They LITERALLY fill their carts up. We received what seemed like HUNDREDS of toys and within hours they were gone. I've heard the name of our store's exclusive character dozens of times and have seen kids almost cry when we don't have it in.
darkjedi187
Member
(01-22-2012, 08:26 PM)
darkjedi187's Avatar
so Gamemaster since you have gone down both paths for each skylander. Any thoughts on which path you like best?
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-22-2012, 09:17 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkjedi187

so Gamemaster since you have gone down both paths for each skylander. Any thoughts on which path you like best?

Oh yeah. I can give some good analysis on the figures if you'd like. It would have to be after I finish doing their Heroic Challenges, as I take PVP into account.

Infact, my son, my friend, his wife, and myself, all have Skylander tournaments. My friend came up with a cool 11-character hat draw tournament, that is fun to play. I am creating my own style of tournament, using two sets of character cards, but it's still in the works.

Once I can do an analysis on each character, I will post them here.

Oh, and as for my blue walls. It's actually somewhat darker, but still vibrant. The flash is what is making that look like a really light blue. My walls are as dark as the dark blue on the Mega Man you see as my avatar, if not a tiny hint darker.
Last edited by GameMaster78; 01-22-2012 at 09:19 PM.
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(01-22-2012, 10:06 PM)
DrForester's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anabuhabkuss

Guys, these auctions on ebay for the 3ds ver sans characters? Legit? Are there counterfeit copies flying around?

Im guessing why theyre priced low is because you can not buy starter characters in single/adventure packs?

Haven't heard of counterfeits being around. Keep in mind there's only so much someone will pay for a 3DS character before it just makes more sense to buy the 3DS game itself. If you think you might be getting a 3DS eventually, just get the game. Think Gamestop has it on sale for $50 last week. Amazon has it for $50 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Spy...7270099&sr=8-1
Last edited by DrForester; 01-22-2012 at 10:08 PM.
bumpkin
Member
(01-22-2012, 10:16 PM)
bumpkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I hope you enjoyed looking at my collection. I always update my pics upon each new wave of figures, so these were pretty recent.

Holy shit, dude... Part of me wants to hate because a) I've had a really hard time finding figures in stores and b) I *wish* I had that collection. Sadly, I was just showing the pics of your collection to my wife and she said, I quote, "if you ever did that, I would shoot you." :D

Either way, I applaud your organization and enthusiasm. Love it!

On a related note, I finally hit the jackpot at my local Target yesterday. Popped in while I was doing errands yesterday afternoon around 4pm and found their display was filled to the brim. They had multiples of four or five singles - Hex, Dino Rang, Zap, Eruptor, Wrecking Ball - and a few of the 3 figure packs. I couldn't decide between the pack with Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant and Double Trouble or the pack with Flameslinger, Drobot and Stump Smash; I ended up just getting both. Of course I had to promise my wife that I wouldn't buy any more figures for a while. haha.

But I'll tell ya, I took a quick look at ebay and saw a Whirlwind pack go for $40+ and seriously considered grabbing the other off the display to sell. I refrained because I didn't want to be that guy. I have been the genuine fan of something who wanted it, could never find it, and could only get it by paying way more than it costs. It sucks. I didn't want to levy that annoyance on another fan.
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-22-2012, 10:25 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anabuhabkuss

Guys, these auctions on ebay for the 3ds ver sans characters? Legit? Are there counterfeit copies flying around?

Im guessing why theyre priced low is because you can not buy starter characters in single/adventure packs?

Some sell the 3DS game and portal, or game/portal/Stealth Elf, because they wanted Dark Spyro and Ignitor.
darkjedi187
Member
(01-22-2012, 10:36 PM)
darkjedi187's Avatar
Ignitor would be nice to have, but I'm not about to buy the 3ds version also. At this point I would just be happy to find a whirlwind.
fernoca
Member
(01-22-2012, 10:39 PM)
fernoca's Avatar
Yep, what GameMaster said.
Since Gamestop doesn't accept the game in trade-in, the only option is basically eBay or Craiglist for those that want to get rid of extra copies or bought starter packs for specific characters.
SparksterMeta0
Member
(01-22-2012, 11:32 PM)
SparksterMeta0's Avatar
Damn. I finally bit and took advantage of the $50 sale (for PS3), only to find none of the stores have the extra figurines.

I heard good things about this game and was going to start when I got one of the 3-character packs. I hope I didn't make a mistake.
PeteZaTheHutt
Member
(01-22-2012, 11:53 PM)
PeteZaTheHutt's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

Thanks. It's part of my man cave. Other parts of my room are dedicated to characters like Mega Man X, Halo, Blue Dragon, Resident Evil, Castlevania and such.

Very nice! It's good to see other married men with these type of collections. I'm not the only one! I don't have a dedicated man cave, at least not until we finish our basement. For now, I've got a large man shelf filled with novels and collectibles. My wife shakes her head every time I bring home more Skylanders (so far we've got 18 figures and one adventure pack), so she would KILL me if I did what you've done! So bravo, GM! Awesome collection...


Originally Posted by GameMaster78

To the person who asked where I live. I live in Oklahoma City. We have been seeing wave 3 pop up in droves. Infact, I have some extras for sale. I'm not a scalper, and anytime I help others find these things, I do so at a loss, because I don't care about the tax. That's what I've been doing as of late, finding figures for those less lucky to find them. I dislike scalpers and scalping, so I beat them to it, in order to help others.

Good for you! It's good to see people just enjoying this for what it is and not taking advantage of others simply to make a few bucks. Can't stand these effing scalpers. Some of the prices on eBay are just criminal...
Chiaroscuro
Member
(01-23-2012, 12:17 AM)
Chiaroscuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

You could look at it like that. Only I am much cooler than he is. I am 33 and have 3 kids, so no 40-year old virgin here.

3 kids? How do you keep them from "playing" in your vault? I have only one (4 years old) and it is impossible to keep him away from my stuff (both phisically and psicologicaly).

Nice collection, very nice!
Zing
Banned
(01-23-2012, 12:23 AM)
Zing's Avatar
Look at it from this perspective:

If the market prices were not high enough to warrant people buying extras and reselling them, then people who do not have access to the figures they want would be completely unable to buy them. With the figures being resold, they are available for anyone in the world.

There is just no way around this. If the figures weren't so tempting to resell, there would be fewer of them on Ebay, and the prices for the few that did make it would be even higher than they are now! It's strictly supply and demand. The problem is that the initial supply price is significantly lower than the demand would dictate. If these figures had an MSRP of $20 instead of $8-10, the demand would be lower and the supply might be able to match it, effectively killing the secondary market. Although, we have seen people willing to pay $30-40 for one figure, so maybe even $20 is not high enough.

We have this phenomenon in the retro video game market. Prices are rising or already high, but there would be no market if the prices were high. You may have to pay $150 for Earthbound, but if Earthbound wasn't selling for $150, there would not be enough copies to go around. They would sit, collecting dust in someone's closet.

It would be interesting to see a manufacturer sell directly to consumers and price their goods at precisely the market price, updated to the minute.
Zing
Banned
(01-23-2012, 12:27 AM)
Zing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro

3 kids? How do you keep them from "playing" in your vault? I have only one (4 years old) and it is impossible to keep him away from my stuff (both phisically and psicologicaly).

It must be either environment or genetics. My daughter has never been a troublemaker. We did absolutely no baby proofing to our house. Electronics, knick knacks, games, etc were all out in plain sight at all times. Even if she found something on the floor that looked like food, she would ask us first before eating.

Conversely, our friend had a girl the same age and she got into everything. The type that would go hunting for something else to fuck with the instant you took something away from her. Her family had a big gate around the TV entertainment center because she would turn the TV on and off, touch the screen, and fuck with the electronics all the time.
Chiaroscuro
Member
(01-23-2012, 01:29 AM)
Chiaroscuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zing

It must be either environment or genetics. My daughter has never been a troublemaker. We did absolutely no baby proofing to our house. Electronics, knick knacks, games, etc were all out in plain sight at all times. Even if she found something on the floor that looked like food, she would ask us first before eating.

Conversely, our friend had a girl the same age and she got into everything. The type that would go hunting for something else to fuck with the instant you took something away from her. Her family had a big gate around the TV entertainment center because she would turn the TV on and off, touch the screen, and fuck with the electronics all the time.


No, I am not talking about that. My kid is just beyond good behavior. He is a great kid. I never had to baby proof anything, and I have three 360 laying below my main tv set (he just asks to play, never touched it). He is very calm. But of course, he is a kid, had a lot of toys, and like to play with them. So if he sees a toy around the house, he automatically thinks it is for him. Like when someone gave me a huge Playmobil set (the pyramid) and I let it on my desk. He saw and came to ask if that was for him. I told him it as for me, but then he asked if he can help me to build it. Of course I cannot deny it (I could, but psicologically I could not, how to deny such a desire, that is fatherhood, put your children interests beyond ours). That is what I am taking about. So much order like his vault is out of the small children compreension, they want to play with them, to lay all of them in the floor, etc.
PhoenixDark
Banned
(01-23-2012, 04:16 AM)
PhoenixDark's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

You know, most girls have liked me just because I'm me. I don't usually flock to trends. I try and break them.

I was doing this before I started dating a cheerleader during my highschool days, and ever since I was a kid in general.

I don't think females are going to dog men who love gaming and decorate their man caves with gaming-related material.

I was usually dubbed the "cool-nerd." Not boasting, though. I tend to think more people are becoming open-minded about most things in life.

Can you post a pic of yourself man?
TheGrue
Member
(01-23-2012, 04:45 AM)
TheGrue's Avatar
Luckily I completed the Wave 1 and 2 collection right at the time Wave 2 came out, so I didn't have any issues finding them, but I keep going to stores hoping to find the two Wave 3 singles and the adventure pack and come up empty. I went to two Targets today and both had zero figures in stock, even though the characters are part of their ad this week (and maybe because of that fact, I suppose). I was hoping people would forget about these things after Christmas. Although, part of me thinks that the reason these disappear so quickly is because people buy them to sell them for insane prices on eBay.
darkjedi187
Member
(01-23-2012, 03:26 PM)
darkjedi187's Avatar
Who sells the single pack Whirlwind? All I can find is the triple pack and I don't want double trouble and my son already has drill sergeant.
Last edited by darkjedi187; 01-23-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Shiv47
Member
(01-23-2012, 03:59 PM)
Shiv47's Avatar
I'm vaguely interested in getting some of the Wave 3 figures, but my kids have more or less lost interest in playing, and I can't say the game is challenging or interesting enough for me to grind for the newer characters. Maybe once Activision announces whatever the sequel plans are, I might bite.
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-23-2012, 04:56 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by PeteZaTheHutt

Very nice! It's good to see other married men with these type of collections. I'm not the only one! I don't have a dedicated man cave, at least not until we finish our basement. For now, I've got a large man shelf filled with novels and collectibles. My wife shakes her head every time I bring home more Skylanders (so far we've got 18 figures and one adventure pack), so she would KILL me if I did what you've done! So bravo, GM! Awesome collection...

Well, I'm not married... yet. I hope to be someday. I just won't rush into it, until it's right.

Good for you! It's good to see people just enjoying this for what it is and not taking advantage of others simply to make a few bucks. Can't stand these effing scalpers. Some of the prices on eBay are just criminal...

I have so many good things to say about this game. Activision and Toys for Bob should make me this game's spokesman. This game is this generation's Gauntlet. I only expect us older gamers (I am 33) to understand the arcade feel of this game, but to those who got their start with systems like PS2 and such, it can be compared in gameplay, to games like Champions of Norrath, Diablo, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and the Hunter series. It has the ease of a LEGO game, but that isn't a bad thing either, as LEGO games are a blast to play as well.

One thing I would like to see, is a sequel. I've given a lot of thought to how cool it would be, to see a sequel that is open world. An open world game with buyable figures. I got this idea from the Adventure Packs. Imagine having empty areas in the world, spring to life by placing a new Adventure Pack on the portal. That makes it so Toys for Bob and Activision could keep the sequel going for quite a long time, as there is more room in the world, for various Adventure Packs. However, a sequel in any capacity, is better than nothing.

I've done everything with this game. I created a form of tournament play surrounding the cards. I also wrote a couple of spec scripts for a Skylanders TV series. Of course, that's not to say anything is being done with them. I'm just a fan writing a "fanfic," but as an actual script. I wish a TV series/movie would be developed for this IP. Novels would be cool as well. The scripts are just there for me to read, enjoy and picture, as if I were watching it.

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

Can you post a pic of yourself man?

Best I can do, is post my Facebook page. Anyone is free to add me as a friend.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1518801130

Originally Posted by darkjedi187

Who sells the single pack Whirlwind? All I can find is the triple pack and I don't want double trouble and my son already has drill sergeant.

ALL stores sell Whirlwind now. Her exclusivity with Target has ended. No more scalpers selling this awesome Skylander for 80-100+ dollars. Infact, I MAY already have someone on her already, but I have extras of her in my closet, that I am looking to sell to people for cost plus shipping. Skylanders deserve a home with real fans of gaming and Skylanders, not bartered for money to go in scalpers' wallets.

Originally Posted by Shiv47

I'm vaguely interested in getting some of the Wave 3 figures, but my kids have more or less lost interest in playing, and I can't say the game is challenging or interesting enough for me to grind for the newer characters. Maybe once Activision announces whatever the sequel plans are, I might bite.

Even if your kids lose interest in the game, I would keep it going. The thing about this game, is that it can stand the test of time. Your kids will surely grow up, and the nostalgia cloud will hit them. They WILL want to play it again. I can gaurentee that. I say collect them all, put them away for a number of years, and should they want to play it again, just break it out. I see this game as a game that can be passed down through generations to play. It is that special.

The game could be easy to find 10-20 years down the line. The toys, however, will not. That makes holding onto them that much better. Think of it like this. Al got giddy and stole Woody from a garage sale, because he was hard to find. Imagine how many people will be giddy, when they find a random Skylander toy that is now hard to find, at some vintage store. Who needs to hunt that far down the line, when they already have them?
Last edited by GameMaster78; 01-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.
fernoca
Member
(01-23-2012, 05:09 PM)
fernoca's Avatar
Hahaha.. "Rapture 2011".. XD ..nice one, GameMaster.
And sexy + Skylanders + Mortal Kombat stuff?! :O!

;D

Thought I guess, some were expecting you to look like either skinny with glasses or really fat....with glasses. :p
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-23-2012, 05:19 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by fernoca

Hahaha.. "Rapture 2011".. XD ..nice one, GameMaster.
And sexy + Skylanders + Mortal Kombat stuff?! :O!

;D

Thought I guess, some were expecting you to look like either skinny with glasses or really fat....with glasses. :p

Thanks. Like I said in an earlier post, people these days have more of an open-mind to all things.

No matter how one looks, each os uf humans are capable of having an open-mind, if we want. I am 33, and I still go to the store on each new release of Marvel Super Hero Squad, G.I. Joe, animen and all other types of cartoons. I own almost all seasons of Pokemon and Spongebob. While I did have my kids in mind, I also had myself in mind. :)
fernoca
Member
(01-23-2012, 05:34 PM)
fernoca's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

Thanks. Like I said in an earlier post, people these days have more of an open-mind to all things.

No matter how one looks, each os uf humans are capable of having an open-mind, if we want. I am 33, and I still go to the store on each new release of Marvel Super Hero Squad, G.I. Joe, animen and all other types of cartoons. I own almost all seasons of Pokemon and Spongebob. While I did have my kids in mind, I also had myself in mind. :)

Exactly.
I'll be 30 in a few months, and my room currently looks like yours, except the figures collection an stuff (don't have that many :p). Mostly Nintendo related posters, plushies and a few misc. things. Yet, is stuff I like, is stuff I grew up with; doesn't mean that I'll suddenly stop enjoying it because "I'm an adult", doesn't mean I "don't get laid" because of that (well, in that aspect there are other reasons, business I haven't done "anything" in 3 months :p) In the end, maturity doesn't come with age; and I'll happily be 60+, with a room full of Nintendo stuff.

I'd love to have a few more Skylanders stuff, but at the moment..the starters still do the trick.


*****


Nice pic from their Facebook page:
[EDIT: whoa, the pic was really small over there.. XD]



:p
Last edited by fernoca; 01-23-2012 at 06:53 PM.
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-23-2012, 05:37 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar
My room is decked out in everything from Halo toys and wall decals, to Mega Man/Mega Man X. I have lots of Nintendo posters on my wall, from various games released on Nintendo systems. I will show everyone the rest of my man cave when I get off work.
TrAcEr_x90
Member
(01-23-2012, 05:39 PM)
TrAcEr_x90's Avatar
I'm thinking of getting into these, since I bought my friends son one. But is the game actually any good? Is it like a little kids version of diablo or something, you just run around killing and levling up?
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-23-2012, 06:12 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by TrAcEr_x90

I'm thinking of getting into these, since I bought my friends son one. But is the game actually any good? Is it like a little kids version of diablo or something, you just run around killing and levling up?

I tend to think it's only kiddy at first. The first level features a whole bunch of people who talk sort of "kiddy." However, as you go through the levels it starts taking a darker tone, as you go through crypts and levels like Lair of Kaos.

The game reminds me more of Gauntlet/Gauntlet:Legends/Gauntlet:Dark Legacy, but the perspective and dungeon crawling does remind me of Diablo, Champions of Norrath, Hunter:The Reckoning/Wayward/Redeemer, and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

There is a hidden level of depth to the game, should you think about Battle Mode (PVP). I have a friend who has this game. He's around my age. Him and his wife play. Sometimes I go over there, and we have Skylanders tournaments.

He crafted an 11-character (though it can be more or less; your choice) hat draw system. Each of us pick 11 of our Skylanders. Once picked we give our Skylander names in cup to another person playing. Then we take a cup with our names in it. We start by drawing a name from the cup to see who is going to battle who (as in the player). Then whichever two are playing, whoever has the cup for that player, draws that player's Skylander and they have to use that Skylander.

Whoever runs out of Skylanders first, loses. The one with remaining Skylanders, naturally wins.

That's just for PVP. The main game has 22 story chapters, plus an additional 4 chapters stemming from Adventure Packs. That brings the total game chapters to 26. Then there are 32 Heroic Challenges. They are small levels with time limits to achieve a goal. Once the goal for any of those is achieved, you are rewarded with a permanent stat boost for the Skylander you do the Heroic Challenge with. The 4 stats you can upgrade, are Armor, Speed, Critical Hit and Elemental Power.

Each Skylander unlocks a Heroic Challenge, so that's why there are 32 in all.

Each Skylander can be leveled to 10, which only boosts your HP. Again, to increase the other stats, you must play through the Heroic Challenges. Each Skylander has two upgrade paths to choose from, after buying that Skylander's basic moves. You can only select one path, unless you own 2 of that Skylander. You can also nickname them. Want to name your Boomer "Boomstick?" By all means, name him that. Ash would not mind.

The difficulty is easy early on, but it spikes a bit in later levels. That's a good thing. I hope the sequel has a difficulty setting. I would get the 360 or PS3 versions of the game, as they feature a last level that is tougher than the Wii version. Doesn't hurt that they also look better.

If you couple the 26 chapters, with 32 Heroic Challenges, you theoretically get to play through 58 levels in this game.

Let's put it this way. I bought EVERY single AAA game released this year. I even imported Xenoblade from Europe (was my favorite game of 2011 until I saw it's coming out this year in NA). I bought Batman: AC, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Rayman: Origins, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, Dark Souls, etc... The only game I keep playing, despite having beaten it, is Skylanders. I did beat Uncharted 3 and Gears 3, though. Point is, this is game is a blast to run through. I feel like I am pumping quarters into an arcade machine, and Skylanders are the cards you used to could save data on, from arcades. I have even thought about hooking up one of my Street Fighter arcade sticks, just to feel like I am playing this generation's Gauntlet, as if I were playing it in an arcade. But this arcade game, has more depth than say, the Gauntlet that came before it.
darkjedi187
Member
(01-23-2012, 06:25 PM)
darkjedi187's Avatar
GameMaster78, what cases are those you have your skylanders in. Might want to find something like that for my son

NVM I looked at the pics again.
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-23-2012, 06:32 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar
Yeah. They're made by Stanley. I was storing these in tackle boxes, found at Walmart, in the sporting goods section. When my friend stumbled upon these, they blew anything I had before, out of the water.

These are found around the tools section.
Joe Molotov
(01-23-2012, 07:23 PM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
Has anyone played the PC version of Skylanders?

I'm trying to decide whether to get it on the PC or just get the PS3 version. My main concern is whether the controls are good with a 360 pad, and also whether there are any other weird quirks with the PC port. I can't seem to find any reviews online that address this.
PeteZaTheHutt
Member
(01-23-2012, 08:24 PM)
PeteZaTheHutt's Avatar
Just got back from yet another Skylanders run. My EB Games store called and said that my EoI pre-order was in, so I went in to pick that up. Awesome, now Slam Bam makes my total character count 19. Can't wait to show my daughter when I go to pick her up at the school bus stop in a few minutes. The money that I had paid toward new characters which had to be cancelled because they don't do pre-orders on characters was put toward one of those zip cases. It was only $19.99, so I thought that was a pretty good deal. They didn't have any new characters though. I then popped over to another EB Games nearby and I apparently JUST missed out on grabbing a Whirlwind/Drill Sergeant/Double Trouble triple pack. ARGH! Wal-Mart and Toys'R'Us were completely empty as usual. So at this point, I'm mainly looking to get the new wave 3 characters along with a few older stragglers such as Stealth Elf and the Pirate Seas adventure pack. The hunt continues...

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I have so many good things to say about this game. Activision and Toys for Bob should make me this game's spokesman. This game is this generation's Gauntlet. I only expect us older gamers (I am 33) to understand the arcade feel of this game, but to those who got their start with systems like PS2 and such, it can be compared in gameplay, to games like Champions of Norrath, Diablo, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and the Hunter series. It has the ease of a LEGO game, but that isn't a bad thing either, as LEGO games are a blast to play as well.

If Activision and Toys for Bob don't make you the official spokesperson, I think that you at least instantly became the GAF spokesperson for this game as soon as you posted that first pic of your man cave!

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

One thing I would like to see, is a sequel. I've given a lot of thought to how cool it would be, to see a sequel that is open world. An open world game with buyable figures. I got this idea from the Adventure Packs. Imagine having empty areas in the world, spring to life by placing a new Adventure Pack on the portal. That makes it so Toys for Bob and Activision could keep the sequel going for quite a long time, as there is more room in the world, for various Adventure Packs. However, a sequel in any capacity, is better than nothing.

Considering that it's Activision, I can't possibly imagine them not making a sequel, especially considering how popular the property is. Even if they didn't sell a ton of copies of the game itself, I'm sure that the insane amounts of cash that they've likely made off of people buying extra characters has more than made up for it. If they haven't made oodles of money off this, then they've done something seriously wrong...

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I've done everything with this game. I created a form of tournament play surrounding the cards. I also wrote a couple of spec scripts for a Skylanders TV series. Of course, that's not to say anything is being done with them. I'm just a fan writing a "fanfic," but as an actual script. I wish a TV series/movie would be developed for this IP. Novels would be cool as well. The scripts are just there for me to read, enjoy and picture, as if I were watching it.

I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that a cartoon is actually in the works. I would look into this if I were you and see if you can pitch some of your scripts.

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

The game could be easy to find 10-20 years down the line. The toys, however, will not. That makes holding onto them that much better. Think of it like this. Al got giddy and stole Woody from a garage sale, because he was hard to find. Imagine how many people will be giddy, when they find a random Skylander toy that is now hard to find, at some vintage store. Who needs to hunt that far down the line, when they already have them?

My wife was just talking to me about this the other day, wondering if these would eventually become available. I showed her your man cave picture and how you've got triples of every character and she wondered if the unopened ones would become valuable one day. I guess we'll see...
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(01-23-2012, 09:01 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar
You never know Peteza (love the name by the way; poor guy ate himself).

I never bought my collection with the intent on selling. It just makes my man cave and game collection look good having unique games like Skylanders.

I am really chiming in, to let everyone know that I added 3 more pics to my post with all of the pics. There were some I forgot to add, when I first put it up. I hope you enjoy my revised pics post on the previous page.

EDIT: Joe, the PC version is just as good as 360/PS3 version. It is based off those versions of the game, which are different than the Wii version, in that they are a bit more challenging in later levels. This game actually feels better with a controller, rather than a Wiimote and nunchuck. So even a 360-styled gamepad will do you just fine, if not better than the Wii versions control scheme.
Last edited by GameMaster78; 01-23-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Tools