• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

KAP151
(01-19-2012, 01:42 AM)
City: Melbourne, Australia
Best: Shitload of events such as F1, Tennis, MotoGP etc
Worst: The weather that changes it's mind on a daily basis

Last edited by KAP151; 01-19-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Sad_Panda
(01-19-2012, 01:46 AM)

City: Nancy, France
Best: lots of students, quite busy nightlife, downtown area reeks of culture and history
Worst: no job opportunities, violent crime has peaked over the last 3 years (though after having lived in Baltimore for 9 months, it's all rainbows and unicorns in comparison )
Dishwalla
(01-19-2012, 01:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikasangelos

Your completely right. I work in Norfolk (264 to 64) so my commute is some what of a bitch most days.

But there was a study last year on traffic and this area (757) was within top 5.

Nobody knows how to drive on the damn bridges and tunnels. Everyday you hear something about a wreck or a disabled vehicle on the HRBT or the Downtown/Midtown tunnel.
nOoblet16
(01-19-2012, 01:53 AM)

City: Liverpool, UK
The Best: The architecture, history (The Beatles !), student city, amazing nightlife, The Docks
The Worst: The weather, Not a whole lot of places to go, maybe the local accent (also known as the Scouse accent, I can barely understand the the thick ones)
Last edited by nOoblet16; 01-19-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Zebra
(01-19-2012, 01:56 AM)

Source: http://erocgraphics.deviantart.com/a...2010-183339115

City: Dallas, TX.

Best features: sports, cheap, economically stable, excellent arts district, part of a large metroplex (Dallas + Fort Worth + Arlington + Denton) that always guarantees something to do.

Worst features: sports, not very walkable, land is flat as a gym floor, often gets skipped by tours in favor of other Texas cities, and as Menelaus pointed out: the wealth disparity between whites and minorities is pretty sickening.
Lesser Prophet
(01-19-2012, 01:57 AM)
City: Wichita, KS

Best Feature: Aerospace capital of the world.

Worst Feature: It's too damn windy.
Last edited by Lesser Prophet; 01-19-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Satchel
Banned
(01-19-2012, 02:00 AM)
Melbourne Australia

Best: Almost everything except the traffic and the inconsistency of the weather.

But more specifically, being the sporting capital of the world.

Worst: Traffic. Which relates directly to the fact that we have the worst drivers in the world. Roads as good as ours, with a population as small as ours, should have almost no traffic, and yet our traffic ranks amongst the highest in the world. Just shows how bad our dirvers are.
TestOfTide
(01-19-2012, 02:08 AM)
Boston

Pros: Great place to bike around, sports enthusiasm, the seafood is good.

Cons: Sports enthusiasm, asshole drivers (including my own brother), The closer you get to the center of boston the less the roads make sense.
Last edited by TestOfTide; 01-19-2012 at 02:12 AM.
cajunator
AnimeGAF's largest consumer of cute
(01-19-2012, 02:14 AM)
I love how a lot of Pros are also Cons.
shanshan310
(01-19-2012, 02:18 AM)
lol yeah, me too.

Originally Posted by KAP151

City: Melbourne, Australia
Best: Shitload of events such as F1, Tennis, MotoGP etc
Worst: The weather that changes it's mind on a daily basis

If it weren't for the weather I would proclaim "WHOOOOOO BEST CITY IN THE WORLD" without a second thought.

So much good food. So much to do. So many different cultures. And Terrace houses which are great.
Tymerend
(01-19-2012, 02:33 AM)
City: Overland Park, KS (Suburb of Kansas City)
Best Feature: Oklahoma Joes is all of five minutes away.
Worst Feature: Oklahoma Joes it not in my living room.
Pacbois
(01-19-2012, 02:46 AM)

City: Lille, France

Best Features:
Beautiful city, cheap rents, cheap bars, huge student life, good amount of culutral events and places, good transport, hi-speed trains going to London, Brussels and Paris.

Worst Features:
Awfully expensive local taxes. Student nightlife is generating some crime, especially in my neighbour. The "Ghetto" in the south.
Concept17
(01-19-2012, 02:55 AM)

Billings, MT

Best: The city is growing pretty quickly. Its a small town of about 110,000 people (largest in the state). Spent most my life here, so I've watched it transform quite a bit. Good place to start a small business.

Worst: It's not a place I recommend anyone live for another 10-15 years. Its completely riddled with bars and churches, and the people here are not the friendliest. A lot of the population are fairly hardcore christian/right wingers that are pretty ignorant. The night life consists of trying to decide which run-down bar to go to, and always running into the same people. Outdoors stuff can be done more easily in larger cities, and even though its MT, you have to drive a few hours to get somewhere beautiful, so actually living here isn't a benefit in that regard. The town is slowly maturing and growing out of its own ignorance, but it'll be awhile.

Hoping to move to Seattle this year. :D
Represent.
(01-19-2012, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Derwind

I've always found it hilarious that people complain about Toronto's traffic... even in the worst rush hour jam, I've never been stuck more than an hour, usually 30-40 mins... I've seen much worse in other cities...

Though I'm usually on 427 & the QE, so maybe that's the big difference...

Also, I can get anywhere on bloor or lakeshore... so what's the big freaking deal, just take the first exit and get ahead of the traffic using the main roads... /shrug

no way man. 401 and Don Valley is up there with the worst traffic in north america.

Just a few weeks ago they had a news article stating Torontonians have the longest commute times in North America, and the 401 is the busiest highway in north america.

"The segment of Highway 401 passing through Toronto is the busiest highway in North America,[4] and one of the widest and busiest in the world"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_401

its really, really horrible
agrajag
Banned
(01-19-2012, 02:58 AM)
City: Miami
Best feature: women
Worst feature: bums
CRD90
(01-19-2012, 03:02 AM)

City: Edinburgh, Scotland
Best Feature: Lots of history, big city feeling yet everything feels close, good bus system, lots of greenery.
Worst Feature:Neds. Unpredictable weather, but usually dull.
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(01-19-2012, 03:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Represent.

no way man. 401 and Don Valley is up there with the worst traffic in north america.

Just a few weeks ago they had a news article stating Torontonians have the longest commute times in North America, and the 401 is the busiest highway in north america.

"The segment of Highway 401 passing through Toronto is the busiest highway in North America,[4] and one of the widest and busiest in the world"

If you want to discuss the 401, there's always a Toronto specific thread too. I know you've posted there a few times And yes, 401 is pretty bad during rush hour, or after a long weekend.
Dr.Horrible
(01-19-2012, 03:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Tymerend

City: Overland Park, KS (Suburb of Kansas City)
Best Feature: Oklahoma Joes is all of five minutes away.
Worst Feature: Oklahoma Joes it not in my living room.

If I were still living in Olathe, this would be my exact answer.

As it is though I am back in Omaha so:

Pro: Great people, easy traffic, great zoo, low unemployment, College World Series
Con: Minimal things to do, no OK Joes, property taxes, humidity

Last edited by Dr.Horrible; 01-19-2012 at 03:24 AM.
cuevas, PhD.
(01-19-2012, 03:31 AM)
City: Chicago
Best Feature: The Cell
Worst Feature: Wrigley Field
lunarworks
(01-19-2012, 03:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Represent.

I take the 401 from Scarborough to Mississauga every workday.

It's amazing I haven't gone insane.
ghst
Banned
(01-19-2012, 03:37 AM)
"when a man is tired of london, he is tired of life"

or just flat broke.
Atramental
Banned
(01-19-2012, 03:52 AM)

City: Greenville, SC
Best Feature: The restaurants.
Worst Feature: Bob Jones University and everyone who is affiliated with that dreadful place.
Bad_Boy
time to take my meds
(01-19-2012, 04:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Kitsunebaby

[IMG]http://metrohomes.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/annapolis.jpg[IMG]

City: Annapolis, Maryland.

Best Feature: Midshipmen running around in uniform.

Worst Feature: Lacks the myriad of ethnic food options that Baltimore and DC both have.

I stayed with a friend who lives there for a few days. Annapolis was a pretty good time. I wasnt used to being around so much water and boats... and along with the odd brick streets, felt like I was in another country.
cajunator
(01-19-2012, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Bad_Boy

I stayed with a friend who lives there for a few days. Annapolis was a pretty good time. I wasnt used to being around so much water and boats... and along with the odd brick streets, felt like I was in another country.

You would freak out coming to Louisiana then.
Buckethead
(01-19-2012, 04:12 AM)

City: East Lansing, MI

Best Feature: It's not Detroit.
Worst Feature: All the tools that go to school here (picture related)
Last edited by Buckethead; 01-19-2012 at 04:15 AM.
cajunator
(01-19-2012, 04:13 AM)
Drunk college students + fire = ???
disco
(01-19-2012, 04:24 AM)
City: London, UK.
Best feature: museums.
Worst feature: noise (this might seem quite strange but it is the one thing that slowly drives me more and more insane, you don't notice it at first because you're so busy looking at how pretty everything is but fuck, it's so loud - everywhere).
Kazoo
(01-19-2012, 04:44 AM)
City: Rockville, MD

Best Feature: The Metro (Shady Grove) is 5 mins away, Restaurants, Diversity, Jobs are a bit better than the last state I lived in (Michigan), Downtown Rockville is really nice, hot women my god hot women lol.

Worst Feature: Being at the end of the Metro Line (Traveling from here to Bethesda everyday during rush hour is a BITCH!), Expensive, The Red Line in general, Traffic (DON'T take the J9/J7 at rush hour from Bethesda to Gaithersburg it's a damn pain being on the beltway), I'll list more later lol.

Oh, I live 5 mins away from Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax Media lol I could walk there.
RebornYeti
(01-19-2012, 04:46 AM)

Salt Lake City, UT

Best Feature: ~30 mins. away from many ski resorts.

Worst Feature: You can probably guess.
Last edited by RebornYeti; 01-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.
CitizenCope
(01-19-2012, 04:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Dechaios

Salem, MA.

The wife & I love Salem. We are right between it & Boston which works out great for us. In fact I'll be at the Salem Beer Works this Saturday getting my drink on.
So yeah Boston:
Best:Sports fan heaven, Drinkers jack pot, very walkable city, beautiful in the summer.
Worst:Winters blow here Imo, streets are crazy for navigating, too much to do.
GQman2121
Banned
(01-19-2012, 04:57 AM)
Baltimore, Maryland USA

Best: Ravens, Food, History, Parks, Proximity to the ocean, DC & NYC.

Worst: Orioles, Public school system, Heroin/Oxycontin, Poverty, Vacant buildings, Motorized wheelchairs, Ignorant mother fuckers who don't work, don't want to work and would rather do nothing than better themselves.
Admiral Bone to Pick
(01-19-2012, 04:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Kazoo

City: Rockville, MD

Best Feature: The Metro (Shady Grove) is 5 mins away, Restaurants, Diversity, Jobs are a bit better than the last state I lived in (Michigan), Downtown Rockville is really nice, hot women my god hot women lol.

Worst Feature: Being at the end of the Metro Line (Traveling from here to Bethesda everyday during rush hour is a BITCH!), Expensive, The Red Line in general, Traffic (DON'T take the J9/J7 at rush hour from Bethesda to Gaithersburg it's a damn pain being on the beltway), I'll list more later lol.

Oh, I live 5 mins away from Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax Media lol I could walk there.

There are hot women in Rockville? Or anywhere in Maryland for that matter? Where?
aerts1js
(01-19-2012, 05:04 AM)
Daegu, South Korea:

Best:

Exciting and so many hot girls.

Worst:

Pollution can suck.
Archer
(01-19-2012, 05:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Atramental

City: Greenville, SC
Best Feature: The restaurants.
Worst Feature: Bob Jones University and everyone who is affiliated with that dreadful place.

I went to Furman. A great edu, but terrible social life due to the Christians. Best thing about the area was the proximity to Asheville and Boone.
NEOPARADIGM
(01-19-2012, 05:41 AM)

Detroit, Michigan, USA

Pros: Taken collectively with its surroundings (its deserved annexes like Dearborn, Troy,
Southfield, Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, etc.) there's pretty much
anything anyone could want here: rich culture, rich history, uniqueness, good food, good
people, wide diversity, good sports teams, some very respected educational institutions,
a pretty decent zoo, and the midwestern beauty of all four seasons: hundreds of lakes and
parks, to say nothing of the Great Lakes themselves or the fair city of Windsor across the
way in Canada.

We've hosted Super Bowls, Stanley Cup Championships, the MLB All-Star Game, the World
Series, the NCAA Final Four and downtown 4th of July fireworks are world class.

Cons: Racially and economically segregated (race relations proper seem kinda okay).
There is not proper public transportation. And, well, there's really no reason to be
here anymore. The auto industry isn't doing for the city what you might think it should,
what I think it should. I have a GM car and it was made in Tennessee. The people who
built this city are dead or gone, and without a proper economic reason for people to be
here, so it will go:

cajunator
(01-19-2012, 05:55 AM)
Detroit is a sad state of affairs. It was such a majestic city once. The grandest of the grand and an absolutely shining gem of a city. what has happened to it is CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE.
Suite Pee
(01-19-2012, 05:58 AM)
Milwaukee
Good: Beer
Bad: Segregation
Zee-Row
(01-19-2012, 06:01 AM)

City: Tampa , Florida
Best: Low cost of living , Near by beaches , cuban food
Worst: Lack of any kind of mass transit (more of a regional thing with St Petersburg included) Terrible drivers , The high amount of transplants vs. actual people born here.
Last edited by Zee-Row; 01-19-2012 at 06:05 AM.
NEOPARADIGM
(01-19-2012, 06:02 AM)

Originally Posted by cajunator

Detroit is a sad state of affairs. It was such a majestic city once. The grandest of the grand and an absolutely shining gem of a city. what has happened to it is CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE.

Amen.
Atramental
Banned
(01-19-2012, 06:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Archer

I went to Furman. A great edu, but terrible social life due to the Christians. Best thing about the area was the proximity to Asheville and Boone.

Cool. But yeah, those Christians are no fun. Haha.
ZZMitch
(01-19-2012, 06:22 AM)
I go to school in Toronto, but that has been done a bunch of times in this thread so I will do where I live when not at school... Portland, Maine!

Pros: It is a beautiful city, with a little Old Port and a lot of places to eat and shop. I read somewhere that it has the highest restaurant per capita in the United States. I love all the brick buildings and the "Main Street" USA feel it has sometimes because of it's small population (only 65,000). It sits on a great harbor and there are tons of islands around that you can kayak to or take a ferry.

Cons: It can be boring. While it is the largest city in the state of Maine, it is still really small, and compared to a place like Toronto, it is practically a ghost town. In the winter a lot of the fun things to do (such as going to the islands in Casco Bay) are not the same.

Upsidedown Fuji
(01-19-2012, 06:38 AM)
City: Showa, Yamanashi Japan
Best: Low cost living, great view of Mt. Fuji, new hub of prefecture for shopping
Worst: Newly developed area but somehow the sky is blotted out by power lines, traffic that can make a 5 minute 10km trip into a 45 minute trip.
tm24
(01-19-2012, 06:52 AM)

City: Indio, Ca
Best Feature: Festival season. Coachella, County Fair, Stagecoach and Tamale are the big ones and last year we got the Big 4 and Goldvenvoice loves throwing crazy free shit at us like free tickets/rides to LA Rising last july. Also, dates. Dates are delicious.
Worse Feature: It's the desert. Summers are 120 easy during the day. 80 at night. Boring as hell outside of festival season
cajunator
(01-19-2012, 06:56 AM)

Originally Posted by ZZMitch

I go to school in Toronto, but that has been done a bunch of times in this thread so I will do where I live when not at school... Portland, Maine!

Pros: It is a beautiful city, with a little Old Port and a lot of places to eat and shop. I read somewhere that it has the highest restaurant per capita in the United States. I love all the brick buildings and the "Main Street" USA feel it has sometimes because of it's small population (only 65,000). It sits on a great harbor and there are tons of islands around that you can kayak to or take a ferry.

Cons: It can be boring. While it is the largest city in the state of Maine, it is still really small, and compared to a place like Toronto, it is practically a ghost town. In the winter a lot of the fun things to do (such as going to the islands in Casco Bay) are not the same.

Not sure how true the bolded part is. A lot of cities lay claim to this and I dont know if it can really be verified. My city definitely has a very large amount of restaurants as well but I'm not sure if it averages out to most per capita (120k people). Also of course the huge cities also lay claim to this, with many thousands of restaurants.
The_Hitcher89
(01-19-2012, 07:00 AM)
Town: Maidenhead, Berkshire
Best feature: Fields and hills on the outskirts, York Road, the oldest continously used football ground in the country
Worst feature: Nicholson Centre, a crappy shopping centre with a ridiculous number of shops opening for a quick buck then shutting after a month or two
ZZMitch
(01-19-2012, 07:01 AM)

Originally Posted by cajunator

Not sure how true the bolded part is. A lot of cities lay claim to this and I dont know if it can really be verified. My city definitely has a very large amount of restaurants as well but I'm not sure if it averages out to most per capita (120k people). Also of course the huge cities also lay claim to this, with many thousands of restaurants.

Yeah I had a feeling it probably wasn't exactly true, but Portland does have a ton of restaurants for such a small population. Probably for all the tourists.

edit: Oh, and fuck Massachusetts drivers!
cajunator
(01-19-2012, 07:03 AM)

Originally Posted by ZZMitch

Yeah I had a feeling it probably wasn't exactly true, but Portland does have a ton of restaurants for such a small population. Probably for all the tourists.

edit: Oh, and fuck Massachusetts drivers!

Same here. Restaurants every other building it seems like.
And just about all of them are packed.
Natiko
(01-19-2012, 07:04 AM)
City: Chesterfield, IN
Best Feature: It has roads.
Worst Feature: I'm not sure. We've had the FBI in multiple times over the last few years due to the treasurer trying to take all of the town's money and skip town and then the police chief and several other police officers trying to funnel money out of the police funds as well as even steal a police motorcycle. Oh and the town council decided to triple the water payments despite the fact that they just rent the water from a nearby town and the rate at which they rent it hasn't changed at all.
Natiko
(01-19-2012, 07:06 AM)

Originally Posted by CRD90

[img]http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/particle-physics-experiment/img/edinburgh_new.jpg[img]

City: Edinburgh, Scotland
Best Feature: Lots of history, big city feeling yet everything feels close, good bus system, lots of greenery.
Worst Feature:Neds. Unpredictable weather, but usually dull.

That's awesome, my girlfriend got an internship there for over the summer. Paying her to fly out, room and board, meals, and paying her some money.
MidnightScott
Banned
(01-19-2012, 07:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Tunavi

Austin Texas

Best Feature: Sixth Street

Worst Feature: Oops

Agreed, Austin is the best, I miss it.